The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

@andjustice4some
"Meantime, Michael is pulling his own weight. He’s sold over 227,000 copies of his “Thriller” album since January 1st including streaming. In solid sales, “Thriller” has done 55,316.Michael’s total sales for 2024 so far are up over 566,000. Hard sales are almost at 100,000. Pretty impressive."

@showbiz411
"So Far, #MichaelJackson Has Sold Over 500,000 Albums in 2023 (Just Behind the Beatles) [...]"

The eligible units is based on what's cited from Wikipedia during the promotional period, as the only figures i know are the worldwide eligible figures for Thriller.
Current status of Michael Jackson's albums
Off the Wall - Certified: 11,700,000 (Eligible: 17,000,000+)​
Thriller - Certified: 51,000,000 (Eligible: 70,000,000)​
Bad - Certified: 21,000,000 (Eligible: 27,000,000+)​
Dangerous - Certified: 17,000,000 (Eligible: 22,000,000+)​
History - Certified: 15,000,000 (Eligible: 20,000,000)​
For Dangerous and Bad they were grossly unreported on so i have no idea what they'd be at, these seem very low so i will assume Bad and Dangerous are both eligible for at least 30 million each. With Off the Wall being at 20 million.

This adds up to 50-52 million in eligible album units from these 5 albums alone, however factoring in Invincible which is behind by 3-5 million, Number Ones which is eligible for 3 million, Blood on the Dance Floor and This is It.

Means that overall Michael Jackson is eligible for a estimated 60 million albums worldwide.
If Michael was certified worldwide for his albums and digital singles my best guess is that he'd have certified sales of at least 430,000,000

Last edited:
@MJJCharts

"Michael Jackson's 'The Essential Michael Jackson' has now sold an estimated 100,000 units in the UK in 2024 alone."

GQOCoVsXcAAq-qD

Once again have tried to come in contact with the MJ Estate, this time going to MJInnocent directly asking them to request a certification of MJ's records in the United States. Hopefully this time it works

The beatles have at least 3 compilation albums selling as much as Dangerous though
Literally not true
5m - Let it Be​
2m - Past Masters​
1m - Introducing​
5m - Meet the Beatles​
2m - Second Album​
2m - Something New​
3m - Beatles 65​
1m - Beatles VI​
2m - Yesterday and Today​
1m - Early Beatles​
3.4m - Hey Jude​
14.7m - Red Album​
14m - Blue Album​
3.1m - Love Songs​
2m - Rock and Roll Vol 1-2​
2.8m - 20 Greatest Hits​
10m - Anthology 1​
3.2m - Anthology 2​
1.8m - Anthology 3​
32m - 1​
4.6m - Live at the BBC​
5m - Love​
1m - Box Set​
1m - Box Set​
1m - Live in Mono​
3m - Original Studio​
1.5m - Live at Hollywood​
Their entire discography is certified up to date other than Abbey Road, Sgt Peppers and 1​

Literally not true
5m - Let it Be​
2m - Past Masters​
1m - Introducing​
5m - Meet the Beatles​
2m - Second Album​
2m - Something New​
3m - Beatles 65​
1m - Beatles VI​
2m - Yesterday and Today​
1m - Early Beatles​
3.4m - Hey Jude​
14.7m - Red Album​
14m - Blue Album​
3.1m - Love Songs​
2m - Rock and Roll Vol 1-2​
2.8m - 20 Greatest Hits​
10m - Anthology 1​
3.2m - Anthology 2​
1.8m - Anthology 3​
32m - 1​
4.6m - Live at the BBC​
5m - Love​
1m - Box Set​
1m - Box Set​
1m - Live in Mono​
3m - Original Studio​
1.5m - Live at Hollywood​
Their entire discography is certified up to date other than Abbey Road, Sgt Peppers and 1​
Ok then. I thought Red and Blue album sold considerably better. This does not take away that I count 127 million extra sales in your list though and those are all albums.

Ok then. I thought Red and Blue album sold considerably better. This does not take away that I count 127 million extra sales in your list though and those are all albums.
I never said they don't count, i was merely comparing studio albums. Saying The Beatles > Michael Jackson is like saying Super Mario was bigger than Grand Theft Auto, because one releases a entry every year while the other releases one every 5 or 6 years but makes twice as much.

No idea where to post this thing, plus it's insanely long, posting a selection of paragraphs only. I did not read all of it, lol.

@chartmastersorg

"We took a completely new angle to reveal the most global music artists ever!15 years after his passing, Michael Jackson leads the way with a monster lead over anyone else Enjoy the full list below"

"In an era where Taylor Swift reigns supreme over the music industry, Michael Jackson continues to be, by some distance, the most global artist in the world. Not only is he the most global music artist, he also tops every leader, politician, monarch, scientist, intellectual, entrepreneur or artist to have ever lived.

For most people, the most global music artists in the world, are often deemed to be best selling ones. In the minds of many, a global artist, is an artist who is widely popular all around the world, with songs known to many. This does not necessarily mean an artist who benefits from being a huge success in the largest markets.

Looking at this decade, Bad Bunny‘s Un Verano Sin Ti, is the biggest album since 2020. By far the most successful Latin release of all-time, the album and the artist are not what we tend to think of or call global. While the album did chart in countries where Spanish is not the mother tongue, it was nowhere near as successful and popular as it was in Latin America and also performed relatively poorly, compared to the very biggest international artists.

So, how do we measure the global reach of an artist, then?

Well, using our own tools, we can count the number of distinct countries that are represented in an artist’s top 50 cities from monthly listeners on Spotify. While this is a great tool and information, it is limited. No matter how global an artist is, less countries will be represented if they are very successful in a large market, like the US or India.

On top of this, we are only looking at countries, which isn’t the perfect measurement for comparing an artists global reach. Most big artists are relatively well known in places like the US, Russia, India, Brazil, Japan etc, but this won’t necessarily mean they are equally well known. Almost every country that has over 20 million inhabitants, has local ethnic groups, with their own language. So how can we deduce how many people they have reached, which people they have reached? In reality, in a country like India, it could be 5 million people, maybe 50 million or perhaps even 500 million. Inevitably then, we need a more exact measurement than countries.

The number speaks for itself – 260 languages. It is so big that it is almost ridiculous. The King of Pop Michael Jackson tops Julius Caesar (210), Aristotle (215), William Shakespeare (218), Nelson Mandela (220), Albert Einstein (224), Isaac Newton (227), Leonardo da Vinci (234), Adolf Hitler (237), Donald Trump (238), Barack Obama (246) and Ronald Reagan (251).

The truly insane part is that most of these people can be found in history books. They are household names in the academic world, which is Wikipedia’s DNA. It feels natural to create a page about an American President or the most influential scientists of all-time in an encyclopaedia. Yet, Michael Jackson tops them all.

Of course, you are now wondering, who or what is ahead of him!? Well, as far as I was able to uncover, only Jesus (266) and The Bible (261) are higher than him. As absurd as it seems, Jackson almost verified Lennon‘s claim.

He does so with a gigantic lead. He claims 30 international languages while nobody else is over 22. In Europe, he beats The Beatles 104-99. The highest score in the Middle East was 12, Jackson has 15. In Africa, he destroys the record of 17 with 30. And in Asia, the previous best of 47 is overshadowed with 64.

Ever heard of Sranantongo? This is an English creole language spoken in Suriname by about half a million people. Inuktitut? An Inuit language from Eastern Canada spoken by 80,000 persons. Adyghe? A Northwest Caucasian language spoken by 300,000 people, mainly in Russia around Krasnodar. Bamanankan? A language from Mali, spoken by 14 million people. Vahcuengh? Another regional dialect, this one from Southern China. ChiShona? Farefare? Gungbe? Ikinyarwanda? Oromo? SiSwati? Tyap?

The list goes on and on. These are languages that include a page about Jackson but none of the remaining artists from the top 10. It goes as deep as Norfuk, a language from Norfolk Island spoken by 2,000 persons and Iñupiaq, another Inuit language with 1,250 speakers.

Michael Jackson, who passed away 15 years ago, remains in a league of his own, as the biggest pop star on Earth. His global reach is unmatched, with a reach which defies gravity."

No idea where to post this thing, plus it's insanely long, posting a selection of paragraphs only. I did not read all of it, lol.

@chartmastersorg

"We took a completely new angle to reveal the most global music artists ever!15 years after his passing, Michael Jackson leads the way with a monster lead over anyone else Enjoy the full list below"

"In an era where Taylor Swift reigns supreme over the music industry, Michael Jackson continues to be, by some distance, the most global artist in the world. Not only is he the most global music artist, he also tops every leader, politician, monarch, scientist, intellectual, entrepreneur or artist to have ever lived.

For most people, the most global music artists in the world, are often deemed to be best selling ones. In the minds of many, a global artist, is an artist who is widely popular all around the world, with songs known to many. This does not necessarily mean an artist who benefits from being a huge success in the largest markets.

Looking at this decade, Bad Bunny‘s Un Verano Sin Ti, is the biggest album since 2020. By far the most successful Latin release of all-time, the album and the artist are not what we tend to think of or call global. While the album did chart in countries where Spanish is not the mother tongue, it was nowhere near as successful and popular as it was in Latin America and also performed relatively poorly, compared to the very biggest international artists.

So, how do we measure the global reach of an artist, then?

Well, using our own tools, we can count the number of distinct countries that are represented in an artist’s top 50 cities from monthly listeners on Spotify. While this is a great tool and information, it is limited. No matter how global an artist is, less countries will be represented if they are very successful in a large market, like the US or India.

On top of this, we are only looking at countries, which isn’t the perfect measurement for comparing an artists global reach. Most big artists are relatively well known in places like the US, Russia, India, Brazil, Japan etc, but this won’t necessarily mean they are equally well known. Almost every country that has over 20 million inhabitants, has local ethnic groups, with their own language. So how can we deduce how many people they have reached, which people they have reached? In reality, in a country like India, it could be 5 million people, maybe 50 million or perhaps even 500 million. Inevitably then, we need a more exact measurement than countries.

The number speaks for itself – 260 languages. It is so big that it is almost ridiculous. The King of Pop Michael Jackson tops Julius Caesar (210), Aristotle (215), William Shakespeare (218), Nelson Mandela (220), Albert Einstein (224), Isaac Newton (227), Leonardo da Vinci (234), Adolf Hitler (237), Donald Trump (238), Barack Obama (246) and Ronald Reagan (251).

The truly insane part is that most of these people can be found in history books. They are household names in the academic world, which is Wikipedia’s DNA. It feels natural to create a page about an American President or the most influential scientists of all-time in an encyclopaedia. Yet, Michael Jackson tops them all.

Of course, you are now wondering, who or what is ahead of him!? Well, as far as I was able to uncover, only Jesus (266) and The Bible (261) are higher than him. As absurd as it seems, Jackson almost verified Lennon‘s claim.

He does so with a gigantic lead. He claims 30 international languages while nobody else is over 22. In Europe, he beats The Beatles 104-99. The highest score in the Middle East was 12, Jackson has 15. In Africa, he destroys the record of 17 with 30. And in Asia, the previous best of 47 is overshadowed with 64.

Ever heard of Sranantongo? This is an English creole language spoken in Suriname by about half a million people. Inuktitut? An Inuit language from Eastern Canada spoken by 80,000 persons. Adyghe? A Northwest Caucasian language spoken by 300,000 people, mainly in Russia around Krasnodar. Bamanankan? A language from Mali, spoken by 14 million people. Vahcuengh? Another regional dialect, this one from Southern China. ChiShona? Farefare? Gungbe? Ikinyarwanda? Oromo? SiSwati? Tyap?

The list goes on and on. These are languages that include a page about Jackson but none of the remaining artists from the top 10. It goes as deep as Norfuk, a language from Norfolk Island spoken by 2,000 persons and Iñupiaq, another Inuit language with 1,250 speakers.

Michael Jackson, who passed away 15 years ago, remains in a league of his own, as the biggest pop star on Earth. His global reach is unmatched, with a reach which defies gravity."
Confirmation of what we already knew, but it's good to see. Michael has billions of fans around the world and it's absolutely fucking well deserved. we all miss him

interesting that it’s the seven singles from ‘thriller’ that have reached over 100 million streams. just reaffirms my belief of their importance over album tracks, and albums in general.
But eventually all 9 singles will have 100 million streams numbers which is something that has never happened before for such an old album. The success this album has as a whole 40 years after its release is special.
I think it is logical that singles have more streams. I hear all 7 singles of Thriller regularly on the radio but I have never heard TLIML and BBM on the radio.

Last edited:
Back