The Estate share the full Ghosts short film on VEVO

I learned about it from a website. I believe the MJIFC. Michael Jackson internet fan club. I was so happy to see that it was playing in a theater near me. If I didn't have internet access I never would have known about it. At the theater there wasn't a poster for it. However there were flyers at the theater advertising it. I still have a few of those flyers somewhere. I'm not sure if I still have the ticket. It was a long time ago but I'm thinking maybe the ticket didn't say Ghosts on it so I just threw it away. I'm not sure on that!

Thanks. The days when the internet was still an adventure. :)
If you ever find those flyers, would be great if you could post a scan or a photo.

It played in 10 theaters in the USA. I saw it at a theater near Washington DC.
Wow-that kinda shocked me. Now I'm wondering if it played here in Houston without publicity or anything. I just found out in the last few years that both the Triumph and Destiny concerts played here, while I was in the beginning of my prime of concert going years, and didn't hear a single word about either one. I blame it for being in the conservative South, and I'm still angry about that one.

I was actually a little surprised that they ran "This Is It" here-and I ran to see it on opening day in case they yanked it-me and about 8 other people at that showing.

PS-glad you said that about the internet. "Ghosts" was definitely about 5 or 6 years before my personal computer days-even at work.

Wow-that kinda shocked me. Now I'm wondering if it played here in Houston without publicity or anything. I just found out in the last few years that both the Triumph and Destiny concerts played here, while I was in the beginning of my prime of concert going years, and didn't hear a single word about either one. I blame it for being in the conservative South, and I'm still angry about that one.

I was actually a little surprised that they ran "This Is It" here-and I ran to see it on opening day in case they yanked it-me and about 8 other people at that showing.

PS-glad you said that about the internet. "Ghosts" was definitely about 5 or 6 years before my personal computer days-even at work.

Only 8 people on the opening day? Wow that's bad!

Thanks. The days when the internet was still an adventure. :)
If you ever find those flyers, would be great if you could post a scan or a photo.

Sometime this week I will look for it and scan it. I wish there was a way to find out all the 10 theaters it played in, but I think it was just too long ago and there isn't a record of it. It just happened in the early days of the internet.

There were some articles, crap like this one.

NYDailyNews

JAC.KO LIKELY TO STAY HAUNTED BY 'GHOSTS'
George Rush, Joanna Molloy, Baird Jones
1996, 30 Oct, 12:00 AM

This Halloweeen finds Michael Jackson still trying to ward off the goblins of his child-abuse scandal. His latest wolfsbane is the 35-minute special-effects extravaganza "Ghosts." But some critics who have previewed the 35-minute film say Jackson's self-serving allegory backfires.

Jackson, of course, is still fuming about allegations made several years ago that he molested a 13-year-old boy (a lawsuit against him was settled out of court). In his new movie, Jackson plays a genial but misunderstood ghost who lives in a haunted mansion. Kids love the friendly ghoul because he can morph into different people (and without plastic surgery!). But rumors of what goes on at the ghost's mansion lead the kids' parents and the mayor to demand that *****, er, the ghost, leave town.

"Why can't we leave him alone?" says one of the kids, after the town elders march up to the house. "He didn't do anything wrong. He's not a monster." Jackson asks the tykes, "Don't you kids enjoy it when it I do my little ... you know?" One of the boys says: "Show them the neat stuff you did for us." "Shut up!" snaps another child. "That's supposed to be a secret!"

But the town's white mayor is unmoved. "He's a weirdo," says hizzoner, who should not be mistaken for L.A. District Attorney Gil Garcetti. "There's no place in this town for weirdos!" Jackson ends up turning the tables on his persecutors by invading the mayor's body and making him moonwalk. "Now who's the freak?" asks Jackson.

"Ghosts" is now playing at selected theaters before King's "Thinner." Jackson spokesman Bob Jones said he'd yet to see the film. "Ghosts" director Stan Winston could not be reached, but has called the allegations against Jackson "garbage. He's done more for kids than anyone else I know."

Last edited:
This is how I found out about it in LA:

The Los Angeles Times

MORNING REPORT
Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press.
October 25, 1996|SHAUNA SNOW

MOVIES

Trick or Treat! A ghoulish Michael Jackson will grace the screen at the Magic Johnson Theatre in Baldwin Hills today through Halloween in "Ghosts," a 35-minute musical film directed by special-effects master Stan Winston ("Jurassic Park," "Aliens"). The short film--about a town that tries to oust a loner who likes telling ghost stories--is based on Jackson's song "2 Bad" and features the pop star in five roles. The short is being "sneak previewed," along with Stephen King's "Thinner," only in select theaters nationwide, but an Epic Records spokeswoman said that a wide national release is being discussed for 1997.

There were some articles, crap like this one.

NYDailyNews

JAC.KO LIKELY TO STAY HAUNTED BY 'GHOSTS'
George Rush, Joanna Molloy, Baird Jones
1996, 30 Oct, 12:00 AM

This Halloweeen finds Michael Jackson still trying to ward off the goblins of his child-abuse scandal. His latest wolfsbane is the 35-minute special-effects extravaganza "Ghosts." But some critics who have previewed the 35-minute film say Jackson's self-serving allegory backfires.

Jackson, of course, is still fuming about allegations made several years ago that he molested a 13-year-old boy (a lawsuit against him was settled out of court). In his new movie, Jackson plays a genial but misunderstood ghost who lives in a haunted mansion. Kids love the friendly ghoul because he can morph into different people (and without plastic surgery!). But rumors of what goes on at the ghost's mansion lead the kids' parents and the mayor to demand that *****, er, the ghost, leave town.
Typical. Here in the US we either heard or read nothing, or junk like this.

It played in 10 theaters in the USA. I saw it at a theater near Washington DC.

Do you remember what the aspect ratio was?, 4:3 like we know it, or 4:3 cropped to 16:9 or genuine 16:9?
Was it different to the "official version"?

Do you remember what the aspect ratio was?, 4:3 like we know it, or 4:3 cropped to 16:9 or genuine 16:9?
Was it different to the "official version"?

Film reel aspect ratio is 3:2! a lot of Blu-Ray re-issues are cropped to either 21:9 or 16:9, It seems likely that the VHS/VCD releases were indeed cropped to 4:3

Is there any official vhs or dvd of ghost s?

Yeah, check out the deluxe box set released in 1997, also included a reproduction of the program and a poster i think! the re-release should be based on that, but instead of OTL single & BOTDF.. they should include some unheard song's, Seeing voices fits nicely.. and a t-shirt, film cell also would be nice

So there's a new re release coming soon?
I have to see if I can order the ghost dvd somehow

So there's a new re release coming soon?
I have to see if I can order the ghost dvd somehow

Nothing is confirmed.

There is no DVD. Only VHS from UK and France. And VCD (video CD - old format from 90's) from Asia.

Yeah, check out the deluxe box set released in 1997, also included a reproduction of the program and a poster i think! the re-release should be based on that, but instead of OTL single & BOTDF.. they should include some unheard song's, Seeing voices fits nicely.. and a t-shirt, film cell also would be nice

Yes I got this on the day of release. Really nice. Need to re-release it but with DVD.

It was the VHS
CD of BOTDF
CD of On The Line & Ghosts or Is It Scary remix (can't remember which)
Program

Film reel aspect ratio is 3:2! a lot of Blu-Ray re-issues are cropped to either 21:9 or 16:9, It seems likely that the VHS/VCD releases were indeed cropped to 4:3

I hope you're right and "full" version exists. Although nothing in the 4:3 version we know "screams" this is cropped for me, usually you can tell if it is. By the looks of it, they unfortunately always had a 4:3 format in mind (judging by the monitors seen in the making of.)

Last edited:
I hope you're right and "full" version exists. Although nothing in the 4:3 version we know "screams" this is cropped for me, usually you can tell if it is. By the looks of it, they unfortunately always had a 4:3 format in mind (judging by the monitors seen in the making of.)

Why would they film it in 4:3 though? they used super 16 & 35mm, which both have a 3:2 aspect ratio.. it's only slightly wider than 4:3 though.. if scanned correctly.. they can make it look presentable in a 16:9 ratio.. although it would be nice if it was presented the way it was shot

Why would they film it in 4:3 though? they used super 16 & 35mm, which both have a 3:2 aspect ratio.. it's only slightly wider than 4:3 though.. if scanned correctly.. they can make it look presentable in a 16:9 ratio.. although it would be nice if it was presented the way it was shot

I hope you are right. - MJ's video (art) deserves to be presentet and released in best possible quality!

I hope you are right. - MJ's video (art) deserves to be presentet and released in best possible quality!

I agree, i've only enjoyed 'Moonwalker' too many song's were left out from This Is It, Including YANA/SIM/WYBT/DD/HTW/Dangerous etc. not to mention the failure of BAD Tour VHS, they need to put some serious thought into future projects.

I agree, i've only enjoyed 'Moonwalker' too many song's were left out from This Is It, Including YANA/SIM/WYBT/DD/HTW/Dangerous etc.

Do we know for a fact that MJ did really rehearse DD, WYBT and HTW?

I know people have said he did YANA, SIM and Dangerous - but did we get any confirmation on the rest?

They seriosly need to release TII 2.0 if they have footage of all those 6 songs!! - AND I want LOTS more Man in the Mirror... - Why only the ending?? Give us the entire song thank you very much !!

Do we know for a fact that MJ did really rehearse DD, WYBT and HTW?

I know people have said he did YANA, SIM and Dangerous - but did we get any confirmation on the rest?

They seriosly need to release TII 2.0 if they have footage of all those 6 songs!! - AND I want LOTS more Man in the Mirror... - Why only the ending?? Give us the entire song thank you very much !!

They rehearsed every song, from all three setlists! be it at the forum or the staples center! and yeah he did rehearse Dirty Diana, it wasn't the full dress rehearsal though.. probably just a run through! he did rehearse Dangerous, in the laser jacket & on June 24th (as seen on the tv spot), WYBT.. he definitely rehearsed this.. same date as BJ/MITM, plus another date i think.. they should release every song he rehearsed, and include several alternate versions too! i'm firmly certain he rehearsed the song's i mentioned

Imagine if he sang SiM, WYBT, YANA and Dangerous live... - He often sang songs live during rehearsals right? Even though it was then playback at the actual concerts.

And HTW and DD live - with his more mature voice!! - Would be absolutely incredible to hear!!

I was really unhappy with the crappy extra material on TII really... - If they have video of MJ performing 6 songs that's not in the film - plus MitM full song - why on earth not release it as extra materiale... - Must be a quesion about money. - They wanna save the footage and sell it later. - Maybe a TII 2.0 !!

I really really hope we will get to see everything one day...

They rehearsed every song, from all three setlists! be it at the forum or the staples center! and yeah he did rehearse Dirty Diana, it wasn't the full dress rehearsal though.. probably just a run through! he did rehearse Dangerous, in the laser jacket & on June 24th (as seen on the tv spot), WYBT.. he definitely rehearsed this.. same date as BJ/MITM, plus another date i think.. they should release every song he rehearsed, and include several alternate versions too! i'm firmly certain he rehearsed the song's i mentioned

I agree very much !!!

Do we know if he rehearsed the songs live or playback??

Maybe they are saving the footage for a later date. The other thought is maybe Mj was not at his best in those perticular song performances. Kenny did state MJs was not himself on certain occasions.

Imagine if he sang SiM, WYBT, YANA and Dangerous live... - He often sang songs live during rehearsals right? Even though it was then playback at the actual concerts.

And HTW and DD live - with his more mature voice!! - Would be absolutely incredible to hear!!

I was really unhappy with the crappy extra material on TII really... - If they have video of MJ performing 6 songs that's not in the film - plus MitM full song - why on earth not release it as extra materiale... - Must be a quesion about money. - They wanna save the footage and sell it later. - Maybe a TII 2.0 !!

I really really hope we will get to see everything one day...

Travis spoke about the dangerous rehearsal, and said they are saving it for the future.. i don't think an extended version would work so well! they should just release a completely new film, yeah he did rehearse WYBT with live vocals.. a member here heard in! Dangerous with playback though, not sure about Stranger In Moscow, but travis said it was Michael's best performance of that song.. can't recall correctly, i literally read his testimony at the trial for hours a few months back

Travis spoke about the dangerous rehearsal, and said they are saving it for the future.. i don't think an extended version would work so well! they should just release a completely new film, yeah he did rehearse WYBT with live vocals.. a member here heard in! Dangerous with playback though, not sure about Stranger In Moscow, but travis said it was Michael's best performance of that song.. can't recall correctly, i literally read his testimony at the trial for hours a few months back

WOW!!

WYBT live and a great performance of SiM !! - They are sitting on GOLD really !!!

I hope they release it soon!!

Hess;4056477 said:
WOW!!

WYBT live and a great performance of SiM !! - They are sitting on GOLD really !!!

I hope they release it soon!!

as do i, but i would assume 10th anniversary? 3 Disc box set would be immense, they rehearsed at Center Staging also.. ''A. It’s the location – Michael’s house. Wardrobe. Kenny after that. Center Staging for 1 hour. Rehearsal before lunch. After lunch – a 3D video meeting with the directors of the show and Michael. 3:30 – discussion of the show rundown, or rundown of previous days events. 4:30 session with Michael’s vocal trainer.

Q. Would this be a typical day during the time at Center Staging?

A. Yes, there was always people to meet, discussion to have, and if specific people had to be at the meeting, the schedule would be sent out to them.'' the footage with the suit and sunglasses looks so powerful, snippet can be seen in the this is it credits!

Sounds great.

10th Anniversary is soo far away it seems... - 2019 :eek:

I can't wait that long! :lol:

Back