the end of the lip synch debate...

Proud Member
at least, in my view. it is essential.
yesterday, i listened to Jennifer Hudson's rendition of the usa national anthem, before the super bowl. i hate that anthem. and i was moved to tears by her rendition and the arrangement. the next day, i come to find out that it was taped. for me to go off on that would be stupid and vain. because i was moved to tears. her management said it would be a disaster if it wasn't taped. the same went for faith hill and her rendition of america the beautiful. i think that song is a better song, and faith was cool with it. but the important thing was, there were no mishaps. you never know when there is a tech snafu, and it is established that Jennifer and Faith are great singers, so the arugment is moot, to me. there are just occasions when the art of lip synching is essential, if, somehow, you have established that you are an artist. and, if you have a feel for knowing when the time is right for a live performance, go for it. if the end result is achieved, you have done your job.

anyway..what do yall think?

it's pretending to sing live when you're not; i don't see the attraction in that.

as for how "essential" it may be, going by your excuse, every arena is going to be a challenge for live sound engineers. many singers manage to pull it off brilliantly. i'd rather the decision-makers took on the inevitable risks of so-called "tech snafu", than to piss on the art of live vocal and instrumental performances by playing back a studio track.

and in the case of those pop farts who can't sing, then that is where lip-synch'ing is essential, alongside the combination of bad health + concert commitments.

I seriously hope that people do the Milli Vanilli and mess up artists' back tracks and see if they're gonna leave out of embarrassment or make the best of a bad situation.

"Girl you know it's...
Girl you know it's...
Girl you know it's..."

The poser: :unsure:

:lol:

I watched the Jennnifer Hudson's performance too. I knew the national anthem performance at the Super Bowl is pre-recorded and the singers lyp-synch to that becuz of possible technical problems according to those in charge of the event. Even if I hadn't know the fact, maybe I would still be able to tell if it was live or not. Her rendition was brilliant. Not the most creative one, tho.

Creativity and the US National anthem don't mix. That song needs to be sung straight or don't sing it at all.

By the way, Whitney Housten's performance of the anthem, which is the best rendition as far as I'm concerned, was lip synched. Betcha don't see anyone complaining about that. With a song that's as difficult to sing as that song is, it can be forgiven and understood why it would be pre-recorded. The chance for messing up is greater and it would be mighty embarrassing messing that song up in front of such a huge audience.

well then those suckas need to take note..

Marvin: live, beautiful and very creative

Well, but Marvin knew how to sing, lol. There's exceptions to almost every rule. But it's when people start going pyscho on those vocal acrobatics that it starts to make your head cave in...

I knew you'd post that video by the way arXter, lol.

f_smiley.gif

all i'm gonna say is that had Mike not lip-synch'd so much, a thread promoting lip-synch'ing would never exist =p

...you lip-synch apologists!

Well let's not go there now, lol. I'm no apologist, lol, but these things aren't always black and white, and although people have a tendency to treat things as though they were, they shouldn't be. I agree that if you're main attraction on stage is just your voice, then you should sing live every time.

if you're main attraction on stage is just your voice, then you should sing live every time.
yep. i'd also throw in the random "if you're gifted with the most beautiful voice known to humanity" as a viable contender for our "should" point. but you know, totally random, lol.

wiggle.gif

also I think everyone will agree one of Michaels best performances was lip synced, yes Billie Jean Motown 25, the groundbreaking performance was Michael pretending to sing. hehe

Nic, you know damn well that performance is far from your (nor mine, nor Mike's) personal favourite, lol.

hush.gif

I'm gonna agree with all of you. I don't prefer lip-syncing.

Get this. I don't remember where I heard it from, but at the inauguration, John Williams new piece, that was pre-recorded too. The orchestra was just pretending to play their instruments. I had to laugh at that one a little bit, myself!

I found it funny on the HIStory tour Michaels backup singers and musicians were pretending to play instruments and mime to what were clearly HIM singing the backing harmonies, I mean I really dont know what he was thinking. I heard many of the guitar parts Jennifer would play were playback, TDCAU, beat it, etc...The one thing I dont like; miming and then coming in at the end to sing a bit live, it makes it so obvious you were miming to the audience. They are not stupid! it clearly shows the audience the difference in quality of the sound and vocal, hate that! if you are going to mime, just mime.

I found it funny on the HIStory tour Michaels backup singers and musicians were pretending to play instruments and mime to what were clearly HIM singing the backing harmonies, I mean I really dont know what he was thinking. I heard many of the guitar parts Jennifer would play were playback, TDCAU, beat it, etc...The one thing I dont like; miming and then coming in at the end to sing a bit live, it makes it so obvious you were miming to the audience. They are not stupid! it clearly shows the audience the difference in quality of the sound and vocal, hate that! if you are going to mime, just mime.

lol. this is an interesting post. remember, all intelligence goes out the window if u are having a good time. those intelligent fans are still MJ fans. lol. and if they go crazy and had a good time, they can afford to put their intelligence on the shelf for a while. i wouldn't mind. lol. this is turning out to be a good thread. not cus i posted it lol. i like the responding posts..and some are surprising.

Last edited:

That's what killed me. :rofl:

They were also miming, it was funny to watch. :lol:

And I agree with arX, Marvin did such a unique live interpretation, he also sung it three other times, and I believe all of the performances were live also: the 1968 one where he sung during the World Series which featured the Detroit Tigers, the 1974 one where he sung during some NFL Championship prior to the Super Bowl, the 1979 one where he sung during a boxing championship match and then the 1983 one which he and Gordon Banks remixed a reggae-gospel version.

I don't have a problem with MJ (or anyone else) lip-synching, because we know what they are capable of. When it's a crappy artist, then there's an issue, though most people don't care because live or lip-synced, they're crap anyways.

I just really wish there were more live performances. Given that MJ has been a well-known musician for nearly fourty years, the amount of live material over the last twenty five years or so is shockingly low. Luckily we had the Bad tour, but other than that, there's only a scattering of live vocal performances: "You Were There", "Man In The Mirror" at the Grammy awards (the first half was lip-synced, but the second half is so awesome it makes up for it, and the transition is smooth.. his voice sounds alike in both parts), "Gone Too Soon" at the Clinton event, and just the odd J5 Medley or ending of a song here or there and one or two tracks per tour show. We need just one live show. Just one.

Is this thread about Michael? Shouldn't it be in the Groove theory section then? Another in a million threads bitching about how he lip synces? lol.

^^ Not really but I guess when someone brings his name to the picture, he suddenly becomes part of it. :lol:

Anyway, getting AWAY from MJ, it does amaze me how the Star-Spangled Banner has been lipped and that it's consider a requirement but you hardly hear lip-syncing moments during the halftime show especially after 2004, lol.

Well the half time show sucks anyway, lol. My eyes glaze over and I nearly fall asleep every time it comes on. Of course, it's that way for me for the entire game, lol. The star spangled banner is hard to sing, so you can understand why it's lip synched. Like I said, Whitney lip synched her's, but nobody cares because it was such a good performance.

^^^ Whitney's performance was one of those classic moments. I still think her version is better than Jennifer's. Her's is the best Super Bowl performance of that song of all time to me.

You know, I wonder if Whitney is going to really perform at Clive Davis' Grammy party this year, if she does, it'll definitely be news considering she hasn't performed here in the U.S. in a minute.

my last point on Michael is that in my opinion he isnt good live, any times Ive heard him do his little parts live, it hasnt been as good as he was in the past, most of the HIStory tour sounds terrible, Munich was cringeworthy, i just listened to when his live vocals kicked in on the Billie Jean performance at the Manilla concert and it was SHOCKING! he should stick to miming as he isnt a good live singer anymore imo, still the greatest performer!

I guess in the best interests of the artist sometimes it is better to mime.

Britney is in a class of her own when I think of lip syncers, Ive never seen her sing live, not even when she debuted her first song LOL!

Michael can sing live. He was suffering from laryngitis during the History tour, which would explain the roughness of his voice at times. Go listen to him sing "She's Out Of My Life" live during the rehearsals for "MJ and Friends" from 99 if you think he can't sing live.

Im saying I dont think he can as well as he could...i agree he is one of the best singers ever, but I think the upped use of more miming speaks for itself. He sang live in a rehearsal, big deal lol and that was 10 years ago! he mimed the entire set when it came time for the show, except for a few short parts. As the years go past it just seems like he doesnt bother when it comes to his vocals live anymore. I think he has a complex about them to be honest.

Back