The breakdown on "Morphine"

BONGANI

Proud Member
Ahh man! Don't you guys love that part? I think that whole breakdown could have been a song on its own cause it has two verses and the "Demerol oh God his taking Demerol" partcould be the supposed chorus.;)
His lower voice KILLS me on this breakdown and his vibratto KILLS me even more!:lol: Especially when he goes: "Don't cry/ I wont resent you/ yesterday you had his trust/ today he's taking twicw as much"

To be honest I dont understand what this man is trying to say in the whole song but quite frankly I dont care coz the delivery is perfect!

Remember people, this thread is about The breakdown not the entire song, and yes its excellent enough to be viewd in isolation:)

Relax
This won't hurt you
Before I put it in
Close your eyes and count to ten
Don't cry
I won't convert you
There's no need to dismay
Close your eyes and drift away

Demerol
Demerol
Oh God he's taking demerol
Demerol
Demerol

He's tried
Hard to convince her
To be over what he had
Today he wants it twice as bad
Don't cry
I won't resent you
Yesterday you had his trust
Today he's taking twice as much

Demerol
Demerol
Hee-hee-hee
Demerol
Demerol
Oh my Oh God it's Demerol
Hee
Oooh

Last edited:
Here's the supposed actual lyrics to "Morphine". I've highlighted the bridge part. What Michael is talking about is, I think, litterally speaking, is the addiction process and what that's like, being taken over by the drug, begging for and needing the drug, warring in his mind over what the drug does, etc... It also could be seen as someone being his inabler, providing the drug for him. It's intense and on top of being one of Michael's most personal songs, it is also a brilliant composition and the melody on the bridge is incredible.

Morphine

He got flack, baby,
Kicked in the back. baby
A heart attack, baby
I ain't your rival!

A hot fix, honey
He dug the ditch, baby
Ya make me sick, baby
So unbeloved!

I felt the swine, baby
All down the line, darlin'
Uncage your god, baby
So unbeloved!

A hot fuss, baby
He want the buzz, baby
Another drug, baby
You're so deservin'!

Chorus:
Trust in me
Trust in me
Put all your trust in me
You're so deservin'!

You got a place, baby
Kicked in the face, baby
He hate your race, baby
You're not the liar!

Just ad lib, baby
Your dog's a *****, baby
You make me sick, baby
You talk survival!

She never cook for me
She never bump, baby
I've gotten what, baby
You're just a rival!

A razor blade, Daddy
Right up your leg, baby
You're throwin' shade, Daddy
So undeservin'!

Chorus:
Trust in me
Trust in me
Put all your trust in me
You're doing morphine!

Relax, this won't hurt you
Before I put it in

Don't cry, I won't convert you

Demerol, demerol
Oh god, he's taking demerol
Demerol, demerol

He's trying hard to convince her
To give him more of what he had

Don't cry, I won't resent you
Yesterday you had distrust

Demerol, demerol
Demerol, demerol
Oh my, his god is demerol
Oh...

Ya got ****, baby
Your dog's a *****, baby
Ya make me sick, baby
You are a liar!

You shoot the game, Daddy
Deep in the vein, baby
You're called a saint, baby
You're so beloved!

Chorus:
Trust in me
Trust in me
Put all your trust in me
You're doing morphine!

You just sit around
Just talking about it
You're taking morphine!

You just sit around
Just talking about it
You're taking morphine!

You just sit around
Just talking nothin' about it
You just sit around
Just talking about it
You're taking morphine!

You just sit around
Just talking nothin'
And taking morphine!

You're talking morphine
Morphine
You're taking morphine
Morphine
Morphine

Last edited:
yes, this is one of my favorite songs he's ever written and composed. I love this man. :wub:

Them be some intense lyrics. I wonder if those who don't have a high opinion of him as a songwriter have ever heard this song?

Thanx for breaking down the lyrics wannabe! I wonder what I have been singing :ninja: :lol: I love this song, actually I think BODT is Genius!! The lyrics to most of the songs are so 'raw' and the beats really have a 'kick' to them and of course MJ's voice...:wub:

What many do not realize about Artist's, they are in a league all of their own, their almost always unique, and very deep individuals.

On several occassions, Artist's speak to the world, fans, admirers through their music...

With regards to Mr. Jackson, if we "listen" to the words, we "learn" about the man, the passion, the trials, and many of the tribulations...

We Are The World~~~

My Pictures at myspace.com/sdeidjs

Last edited:
i still can't believe this is an autobiographycal song.i love his honesty!

During our darkest moment in time...Whether some us believe it or not...

The world almost "lost" Michael Jackson..!

What do you think the CD "HIStory Past Present & Future Book I" and "Blood On The Dance Floor" are all about..?

Last edited:
During our darkest moment in time...Whether some us believe it or not...

The world almost "lost" Michael Jackson..!

What do you think the CD "HIStory Past Present & Future Book I" and "Blood On The Dance Floor" are all about..?

Absolutely, those two albums are all about his feelings, he was basically pouring his soul into the lyrics. Come on, haven't people actually heard SIM, TDCAU, Childhood, Morphine, Scream...the list goes on and on.

If you think that is interesting...

There is a "true story" that began in May 1993 you may be interested in...

Read "Truth of Justice" Nothing Is Black or White" posted in My Pictures at myspace.com/sdeidjs in its entirity...

To this day, I think life's journey is an experience that sometimes makes us go Mmm!

Last edited:
thats one of my favourite moments of an MJ song. usually I just like the song as a whole and rarely have a fave part; but that part is just amazing!!! it's bloody beautiful; offcourse specially because of the contrast with the harsh tone of the rest of the song

oh, and the OOOOH and the end is fantabulous!! :D

Last edited:
thats one of my favourite moments of an MJ song. usually I just like the song as a whole and rarely have a fave part; but that part is just amazing!!! it's bloody beautiful; offcourse specially because of the contrast with the harsh tone of the rest of the song

oh, and the OOOOH and the end is fantabulous!! :D

Thank you for sticking to the ACTUAL topic, most peeps just went and discussed the whole song while my post makes it CLEAR that emphasis must be put on THE BREAKDOWN not the ENTIRE SONG!:lol:

And yeah you're right that part is "bloody beautiful" as you put it..:)

Omg i looovee that breakdown!!

His voice is just omg omg omg :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Morphine's breakdown has to be my ultimate favourite piece of Michael's vocals. It is INCREDIBLE. I only heard the song for the first time last year and that bit really got to me. It is so pure, honest and powerful. Gives me shivers!!

I've read somewhere that this part really originates from another song that was named Demerol. I can't remember where that was tho. Maybe on MJNO.

I used to always think he was singing 'Deborah, Deborah oh god hes taking Deborah' as in Debbie Rowe his ex wife.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere that this part really originates from another song that was named Demerol. I can't remember where that was tho. Maybe on MJNO.

So my suspicions are not unfounded.. this part like I said in my first post could have been a song on its own.. thanx for the info.. I guess we'l never truelly know..

I LOVE this song. It's so raw and powerful. Turn it up real loud and let Mike do the rest. I agree that the breakdown is amazing. It's like a little song in itself. This is one of those songs that only MJ could come up with. To go from the raw vocals and the driving beat to a slow melodic piano section is just genius. It really shouldn't work in the same song but it works perfectly. The piano breakdown takes this song from being great to brilliant.

Is it just me who loves the EWWW! at the end of the piano breakdown lol?

That part the first time i heard it...made me CRY like a BABY. It was the most beautifully composed thing EVER. That song reads like poetry...using the sounds to actually represent emotions and experiences.

The first time i heard the break down, I'll never forget it it, the SHOCK of it, the instrumentation makes you feel as if you are literally THROWN into another foggy state of consciousness, like the "drug" is actually taking effect, releasing all of the anger and grit we've experienced in the beginning. And it is SO beautiful...his voice, my goodness, it's HAUNTING. The flutes, the violins..all of the instrumentation...just chilling chilling chilling. And I just love how he has that faint talking in the background, hospital sounds and stuff (i know it's from a movie of some sort)..but its kinda like reality is faded in the back and its overshadowed by the floating flutes and violins...i mean that break down is more than just a good part of the song, its a real EXPERIENCE. The man is a genius!

ANd the fact that the ending of the breakdown is just as sudden and abrupt as the opening is even more JARRING. I think Morphine is one of his most brilliant songs. really. IMAGINE...IMAGINE! If he performed it LIVE! I would DIE.

That part the first time i heard it...made me CRY like a BABY. It was the most beautifully composed thing EVER. That song reads like poetry...using the sounds to actually represent emotions and experiences.

The first time i heard the break down, I'll never forget it it, the SHOCK of it, the instrumentation makes you feel as if you are literally THROWN into another foggy state of consciousness, like the "drug" is actually taking effect, releasing all of the anger and grit we've experienced in the beginning. And it is SO beautiful...his voice, my goodness, it's HAUNTING. The flutes, the violins..all of the instrumentation...just chilling chilling chilling. And I just love how he has that faint talking in the background, hospital sounds and stuff (i know it's from a movie of some sort)..but its kinda like reality is faded in the back and its overshadowed by the floating flutes and violins...i mean that break down is more than just a good part of the song, its a real EXPERIENCE. The man is a genius!

ANd the fact that the ending of the breakdown is just as sudden and abrupt as the opening is even more JARRING. I think Morphine is one of his most brilliant songs. really. IMAGINE...IMAGINE! If he performed it LIVE! I would DIE.
^^^^^^^^^^ Very well put.

Ahh man! Don't you guys love that part? I think that whole breakdown could have been a song on its own cause it has two verses and the "Demerol oh God his taking Demerol" partcould be the supposed chorus.;)
His lower voice KILLS me on this breakdown and his vibratto KILLS me even more!:lol: Especially when he goes: "Don't cry/ I wont resent you/ yesterday you had his trust/ today he's taking twicw as much"

To be honest I dont understand what this man is trying to say in the whole song but quite frankly I dont care coz the delivery is perfect!

Remember people, this thread is about The breakdown not the entire song, and yes its excellent enough to be viewd in isolation:)

Relax
This won't hurt you
Before I put it in
Don't cry
I won't convert you

Demerol
Demerol
Demerol
Demerol

He's tried
Hard to convince her
To be over what he had
Don't cry
I won't resent you
Yesterday you had his trust

Demerol
Demerol
Hee-hee-hee
Demerol
Demerol
Oh my Oh God it's Demerol
Hee
Oooh

Yes the breakdown on the song is amazing, just that little part shows what he is capable of when it comes to lyrics, voice and the way he delivers, like you said. that little bit right there i'd say is one of my favorites too. To bad he didn't do a whole song with that melody. Maybe it is, who knows, and he just used that little part in "morphine"

Usually when I put on Morphine it's because of that little breakdown :punk:

Back