Teddy Riley Interview: Unreleased song Joy sung by Michael Jackson will be given to Estate!

I'm talking about the PRODUCERS. Quincy/Teddy. Michael Jackson outsold Quincy's Bad doesn't make sense imo. If you wanna look at it that way... then it should be MJ sold out MJ LOL. I'm talking about how Teddy's sound (with MJ's vision) outsold Quincy's Bad (with MJ's vision).

I know, lol I was using your own words :D

A little new jack swing? :blink: 7 tracks of the 14, basically half the album is NJS or if you want to be more specific, based on a New Jack Swing template/foundation. Teddy's input and production is the backbone of the album. Teddy came to Michael with 75 demo tracks for Dangerous, they worked on 20, finished 8, and 7 made the album.

I hold to my post, Dangerous was only spiced a little bit with new jack swing, like it was spiced with rap, and gospel and hard rock, etc.

Just because TR was involved in a song doesn't mean that song is a new jack swing song. Is my opinion though, and I really believe that.

Actually it is a universally known truth and here's why....Unfortunately most people and critics only see Michael's best work as his first 3 albums which were produced by Quincy Jones, so he ends up getting nearly all the credit and they BLINDLY rule out anything after that. When in reality Mike's work only got more deeper and creative from Dangerous onward, which started with the help of Teddy Riley. It isn't until recently and with the 20th anniversary for Dangerous that more people started paying attention.

I think someone mentioned this in the previous page, but Teddy's sound gave Mike that street cred that he'd PARTIALLY lost after Thriller, even the BAD album and the tough image they tried to deliver couldn't bring it back. The normal fan and critics weren't sold. He helped him re-invent his sound and image at a very critical time in music history, where the 80's had departed and so a lot of the artists that existed in it. It wasn't until (the 90's) when people heard songs like "She Drives Me Wild" and "Can't Let her get Away" or saw the urban inspired video for "Jam" that they started realizing that "Yea, Michael still has a foot in the streets" lol which he always did by the way but the new jack swing sound with that raw hip-hop edge on Dangerous made it more apparent and believable.

Michael understood the impact of Dangerous that he followed the same blueprint in his following two albums HIStory & Invincible (with or without Riley), with more urban inspired cuts... just listen to songs like 2Bad, This Time Around or the whole Invincible album. It's was Teddy who set that blueprint. Could you imagine Bill's version of Dangerous in an era where Hip-Hop was dominating the music scene? So yea, when you put it all together the man's MAD underrated.

this isn't a universal truth or Teddy would be the greatest selling artist of all time instead of Michael.
A lot of people who believe in Michael aren't about street cred. He reached people from all walks of life, something that street cred people didn't do. You speak of people that reach regions, such as Teddy. Michael reached the entire world. That's just me being blunt. All the people that worked with Michael, ever since he was little, needed him to reach audiences from all walks of life who couldn't believe he had what he had, just as much as he needed them. Remember, Michael reached the world twice..as the lead little boy of the Jackson 5, and then again, as an adult solo artist..audiences when he was little and as an adult were of street cred and not of street cred, and were equally amazed by his precocious genius talent, no matter who he worked with. And he was always the central constant figure, throughout. That's sayin something.

It got to the point where Michael could do a concert and do 'a random song' and it wouldn't really be a random song, because some vast section of his audience could always relate to it, and knew what the song was, no matter what song it was, and so his songs are hits in the truest sense of the word..hits with his vast audience. He was really the only artist who could perform 'a random song' and too big a majority of his audience would NOT say 'i didn't pay money to hear this song, i paid to hear his hits'. For that reason, alone, let alone many others, critics didn't have a hold on him the way they did other artists, so critics hated on him and still hate on him.

And as far as what critics must like to think as their 'trump card', that Michael couldn't remain relevant after his first two or three solo albums, even that is a victory for Michael, because how many artists do you know could even have just one song, that never gets old, that reached people from all walks of life? Billie Jean reaches people from all walks of life, whether or not they are about street cred, so Michael had it all, from the beginning, whether or not there is a Teddy Riley.

The question has to be asked: How does a person ever become irrelevant, if that person's music is timeless?`

It stands to reason that in their attempt to 'get him', critics always looking for something to say that Michael 'could not' do, backfired on them, because it outed them as backhandedly admitting that he conquered the world, musically at a stage, so they had to look for something he 'missed'. And at that time, apparently, it was 'street cred', So when he found a way to conquer that (previously, to be honest, to their chagrin and blindness, and unwittingness, in their desperation to 'get him') they looked for something else, but have already failed before starting.

Last edited:
this isn't a universal truth or Teddy would be the greatest selling artist of all time instead of Michael.

And that's a universal truth. :yes:

Same goes for Quincy Jones and his input or any other producer Michael has collaborated with. The real boss and genius behind any Michael Jackson production has always been Michael Jackson.

Actually it is a universally known truth and here's why....Unfortunately most people and critics only see Michael's best work as his first 3 albums which were produced by Quincy Jones, so he ends up getting nearly all the credit and they BLINDLY rule out anything after that. When in reality Mike's work only got more deeper and creative from Dangerous onward, which started with the help of Teddy Riley. It isn't until recently and with the 20th anniversary for Dangerous that more people started paying attention.

I think someone mentioned this in the previous page, but Teddy's sound gave Mike that street cred that he'd PARTIALLY lost after Thriller, even the BAD album and the tough image they tried to deliver couldn't bring it back. The normal fan and critics weren't sold. He helped him re-invent his sound and image at a very critical time in music history, where the 80's had departed and so a lot of the artists that existed in it. It wasn't until (the 90's) when people heard songs like "She Drives Me Wild" and "Can't Let her get Away" or saw the urban inspired video for "Jam" that they started realizing that "Yea, Michael still has a foot in the streets" lol which he always did by the way but the new jack swing sound with that raw hip-hop edge on Dangerous made it more apparent and believable.

Michael understood the impact of Dangerous that he followed the same blueprint in his following two albums HIStory & Invincible (with or without Riley), with more urban inspired cuts... just listen to songs like 2Bad, This Time Around or the whole Invincible album. It's was Teddy who set that blueprint. Could you imagine Bill's version of Dangerous in an era where Hip-Hop was dominating the music scene? So yea, when you put it all together the man's MAD underrated.

I'm not sure about this whole "urban streed cred" stuff. While Dangerous outsold Bad on worldwide sales, but in the US it sold a bit less than Bad. And it's the US where this whole "urban street cred" stuff is considered important. Europe doesn't care about that, Asia doesn't care about that, Australia doesn't care about that, South America doesn't care about that. They just care about whether they like a song or an album or not. And here in Europe the Bill Bottrell produced songs were just as popular - if not even more popular - than the Teddy Riley songs. (And Who Is It is the best song of the album IMO.) So no, Dangerous is not all Teddy Riley. It's also Bill Bottrell. But most of all, it's Michael Jackson.

I hold to my post, Dangerous was only spiced a little bit with new jack swing, like it was spiced with rap, and gospel and hard rock, etc.

Just because TR was involved in a song doesn't mean that song is a new jack swing song. Is my opinion though, and I really believe that.

I agree with you. Dangerous is often cited as the best selling new jack swing album of all times, but it's not strictly NJS. And probably that's why it sold so well and that's why it's not dated, like other NJS albums of the era are...

I mean NJS was only great in the US. In other parts of the world they didn't even know what it was, nor did they care. I think the only NJS artist who was relatively popular in Europe was Bobby Brown - Humpin' Around was a hit here, then a Good Enough a smaller hit. From his previous album My Prerogative was a minor hit here, and that was it.

I like the way you put it: NJS was used to spice up Dangerous, like many other genres. Michael liked to mix genres. Had Michael done a hard core NJS album, I doubt it would have been as successful outside of the US as Dangerous was. Michael wanted his music to be popular all over the world, not just in one-two countries.

And while NJS was popular in the US at the time, the US is not the whole world.

A lot of people who believe in Michael aren't about street cred.

Your entire post has totally deviated away from the main point. Which is Teddy and his input in Dangerous and as a producer. You've suddenly turned it about Michael and the impact his art had on the world etc...I'm not talking about that.

And yes...The street credit thing is universal truth

Even though I TOTALLY disagree. It still proves my point that SEVEN TEDDY RILEY CUTS make up half of the dangerous album. Jazz, Rock, country, R&B, it doesn't matter. It's ALL Teddy's input and production, with MJ of course lol.

Actually if we look it at your way that should give MORE credit to Riley. That a producer who specifies in a more urban sound was able to craft all these genres, with Michael's vision of course.

But you mention rap...which were on Teddy's NJS cuts. Gospel and Rock? Two tracks which Teddy didn't produce. But again, 7/14 cuts which make up the backbone for Dangerous are produced by the man lol. 7/14 in my opinion are NEW JACK SWING inspired cuts or based on it's foundation.

This discussion has become pointless. I seem to be repeating myself and it's not gonna change the fact that sadly some people blindly hate a person that they won't give credit where it's due.

If it was ALL Michael then I don't know why he even bothered working with producers. He should have done all his albums by himself. I mean Prince does that right? smh...

Last edited:
So no, Dangerous is not all Teddy Riley. It's also Bill Bottrell. But most of all, it's Michael Jackson.

7 tracks of the 14, basically half the album is NJS or if you want to be more specific, based on a New Jack Swing template/foundation. Teddy's input and production is the backbone of the album. Teddy came to Michael with 75 demo tracks for Dangerous, they worked on 20, finished 8, and 7 made the album.

Did I say the WHOLE album is Teddy Riley? OF COURSE it's Michael Jackson, it's his album man ... his vision, his art (god, I feel i'm repeating my self) LMAO...

Same thing... You've deviated away from the main point. Which is Teddy and his input in Dangerous and as a producer.

So again...please, please read my posts carefully before quoting me. Just sayin' :)

But you mention rap...which were on Teddy's NJS cuts.

And on Black or White, produced by Bill Bottrell... Which BTW, was the biggest hit of the album... both in the US and outside...

So you saying Teddy's work is the "backbone" of the album is just your opinion. Yes, he co-produced half of the album. Whether one considers the album's first part the best of it, or the second, is a matter of personal preference and taste. I personally think the first half contains more "filler tracks" than the second, but that's just my opinion.

And on Black or White, produced by Bill Bottrell... Which BTW, was the biggest hit of the album... both in the US and outside...

So you saying Teddy's work is the "backbone" of the album is just your opinion. Yes, he co-produced half of the album. Whether one considers the album's first part the best of it, or the second, is a matter of personal preference and taste. I personally think the first half contains more "filler tracks" than the second, but that's just my opinion.

Jesus...what has this or any of what you just said change the fact that the man produced HALF THE ALBUM. It isn't my opinion. Seven tracks from fourteen total is HALF THE ALBUM. You do the math!.

Filler or No filler that isn't the issue. Black or White is the biggest hit of the album or not that isn't the issue either. Why you bringing all this up? It's irrelevant.

I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:
Jesus...what has this or any of what you just said change the fact that the man produced HALF THE ALBUM. It isn't my opinion. Seven tracks from fourteen total is HALF THE ALBUM. You do the math!.

Filler or No filler that isn't the issue. BTW, is the biggest hit of the album or not that isn't the issue either. Why you bringing all this up? It's irrelevant.

I'm done with this thread.

Well, the thread has taken irrelevant directions ever since Dangerous was brought up, because the last time Teddy worked on MJ related stuff it turned out to be sloppy and weak production. So if people question if Teddy still has it (regardless what anyone thinks of his merits on Dangerous) is perfectly natural and understandable. The NJS era and Dangerous was 20-25 years ago! So even if Teddy invented that whole genre then, it doesn't really matter from the point of view of our discussion.

Even though I TOTALLY disagree. It still proves my point that SEVEN TEDDY RILEY CUTS make up half of the dangerous album. Jazz, Rock, country, R&B, it doesn't matter. It's ALL Teddy's input and production, with MJ of course lol.

Actually if we look it at your way that should give MORE credit to Riley. That a producer who specifies in a more urban sound was able to craft all these genres, with Michael's vision of course.

But you mention rap...which were on Teddy's NJS cuts. Gospel and Rock? Two tracks which Teddy didn't produce. But again, 7/14 cuts which make up the backbone for Dangerous are produced by the man lol. 7/14 in my opinion are NEW JACK SWING inspired cuts or based on it's foundation.

This discussion has become pointless. I seem to be repeating myself and it's not gonna change the fact that sadly some people blindly hate a person that they won't give credit where it's due.

If it was ALL Michael then I don't know why he even bothered working with producers. He should have done all his albums by himself. I mean Prince does that right? smh...

I'm using your quote of somebody else's post, but am referring to what you said about my entire latest post before this one as missing whatever point you were trying to make.
the general points being made here aren't really irrelevant or missing the point. You're going by number of tracks on an album. I'm going by impact just one song can have on two people who have nothing in common with each other, and Michael's ability to bridge the gap. I'm saying that Michael could write a song that those who are about 'street cred' and those who are not, can both appreciate, and that does aim at your point about Michael losing touch with 'street cred', even though, even you said he had a 'foot' in the street. Why agree with critics who say he 'didn't have it' and admit he did have it at the same time, just for the sake of argument?

Number of songs is a non issue, here. To me, the song quantity(as opposed to quality) is as much a non issue as the age of the producer determining his impact, and talent, as far as you are concerned. And, disagreeing with you shouldn't connotate hate of Teddy Riley. Because I never said I hated him. I don't know him. I liked the collaboration with Teddy Riley for Dangerous. But your original point, even with you disagreeing with yourself, was that Michael 'didn't have street cred'. The reality is, that was never the case. That's my point in a nutshell. MJ worked with Teddy. It was wonderful of him to do so. But you were giving the impression(to me), frankly, that MJ would not have survived, musically, without him(the thing his harshest critics were into doing). Whatever you were saying, it's just hoped that you aren't giving the harsh impression MJ's critics were trying to give. That's all.

And you saying that the street cred thing is universal? I could never relate to it, and there are others like me, so it's not. The world of street cred was as far from me as the east is from the west, but as soon as Michael put his hands on 'Remember The Time', I jumped on it. That's IMO universal. Michael. He takes your world, and my world and joins them together. That's all I'm saying. Someone else has a world that another artist can't reach, Michael puts his hand in it, and both worlds join. Universal implies all encompassing. Maybe your neighborhood doesn't want to look at my neighborhood, musically, but Michael comes in and your neighborhood is ok with him and so is mine. And then, hopefully, because of Michael, our neighborhoods take a second look at each other.
That's what makes Michael's genius special.

But critics would like me to think Michael was just...out of touch.
I don't know that anybody could really be off topic here, when the giant perception still being discussed here is whether or not, Michael was, at any time, irrelevant. That's the gist here.

Yes, Michael, like many other artists, worked with other producers, and it's wonderful.
But, what critics fail at, by using MJ as a constant basis for their comparisons, and put downs of him, is that the critics, themselves, unwittingly prove he never loses relevance. They're unwittingly announcing he's always the standard bearer. Not the other producers. Michael.

I just don't like it when critics take an innocent collaboration between Michael and another great producer of the time and use it against Michael. I like reiterating Michael as THE producer.

If you'd look over this forum you'd see I'm giving props to all kinds of musicians and producers, so it's not about me hating on someone who isn't Michael Jackson.

All cred is is credibility...getting someone to believe in you. Why shorten the word to seperate? I remember a video of Elton John having a song strong enough to get cred-ibility on Soul Train. The song was 'Bennie And The Jets'.

Michael, on a larger scale, had the street cred, the rock cred, the world cred, the universal cred, from the start. so people from all walks wanted to work with him. To me, that's the mark of a strong producer.(Yeah i believe Elton John was a great producer the moment he put out that song i mentioned).

I just think it's worth saying who THE producer is, and put cred where cred is due.

Last edited:

The number of tracks represent half the album (7/14). The foundation on which the album is built on. The backbone of the album. Dangerous kicks off with a NJS (inspired cut) and comes beautifully full circle with the title track (another NJS inspired cut). NO ONE said one song can't have an impact as the seven. That's not the issue here. Again, it's about the influence & sound of Teddy Riley and how much his production contributed in shaping the album.

For an MJ fan, yes we'll appreciate anything Michael writes but it's not the same for the average/casual music fan. You can't deny that. In the late 80's, Hip-Hop was becoming a dominant thread in pop culture, all these young kids were listening to RUN DMC and LL Cool J, it wasn't 82 anymore where disco and funk ruled the airwaves and dance-floor. So here you have a 'Pop' album like Bad which sonically sounds amazing and produced 5 number one singles but still you had some critics, the average music listener and a large majority of the black community who felt that Michael had drifted from his R&B/Urban roots (Their opinion NOT mine). I don't wanna get deep into that because that's another discussion & whether I agree with it or not ISN'T THE ISSUE but look back at the history of the Bad era and everything affiliated with it seems to indicate that.

Do I personally believe that he had a foot in the streets? yes, always. Did he have the 'street cred' from the start? of course. I mean the man was in the studio with RUN DMC working on a Hip-Hop record BUT why didn't it make the album? we'll never really know. According to many sources Q was to blame & that's why Mike parted ways with him after Bad. In a recent interview, Quincy said Michael didn't wanna work with him anymore because "He didn't understand Rap in 1987". If this indeed is true then MAYBE Michael did believe that he missed out on the chance to put that RUN DMC record on Bad and that he wouldn't have received the Criticism he got from some.

Street cred means you have the 'streets' acknowledging your music, playing your shit. You might not relate to it but for many people in other communities, especially in the late 80's/90's (unlike now with the internet etc...) and with the rise of Hip-Hop it actually meant something. Believe me. Michael would call them "Talented kids from the Ghetto" lol. It's these kids that would pop n lock to your music or just blast it through a boombox in the streets. Not everyone can relate to that lifestyle but MJ knew it well along with the impact that Hip-Hop had on music/pop culture. I admire how he showed his love for the streets and the urban community in the criminally underrated "Jam" short film featuring another iconic figure that the community looked up to just like him, Michael Jordan.

It wasn't about "Surviving" but more about keeping up with the times and making something "Fresh". Teddy was killin' it at that time. He'd invented a new genre, a hybrid of Hip-Hop and soul, it was just what Michael needed. That Hip-Hop street edge with that soulful/melodic sound that he was originally recognized for.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Michael giving the best of both worlds and I don't know why you bought it up. But yea, on albums like Dangerous and more specifically HIStory you had gospel, rock, and Orchestral songs next to raw Hip-Hop/NJS/R&B songs. Again that isn't the point I was getting at but whatever. I was trying to discuss Teddy's input and influence on Dangerous and how MJ's sound evolved because of it but the discussion has taken a totally different direction. Peace.

Last edited:
Sorry but ANY project without Mike's input is useless in my book. Good or Bad, that 'Michael' album is worthless to me. Same goes for "Vision", Bad25 and any other project released in his absence. So (as a 26 + year MJ fan) I don't care if it's up to par or not because the man isn't here to bless it. The Estate want's to release a demo or unheard gem UNTOUCHED that's fine by me, but calling up producers, whoever they are (Teddy, Lenny or even Quincy) and trying to 'craft' an album without the man's vision is pointless. Just my opinion. So my point is, if Teddy ruined Hollywood tonight or made it the greatest sequel to Billie Jean it makes absolutely no difference to me.
=============================

very true. intresting thread btw

I think the Estates main objective is to release The best quality product they can and make a profit.

Catering to die hard fans with just "untouched demos" will not reach that objective. They still have to support the Estate and make a profit. They will cater to a wider market and have something for everyone .. (The world ) Not just what you or I personally want .. We have to be realistic here. I'm sure we will get a demo or 2 as well if it is good enough quality to release like that.

Anyway In your opinions how does this relate to the song "Joy" Was it a finished song. Is it as Michael left it. or did TR continue working on it over the years ? What would you like see happen for that song ?

It will never be the same as Michael himself. and, personally, i think MJ has a built in fanbase that keeps the 'general public' from being as impacting against him as it does other artists. And I've never known (IMO) that MJ ever released anything that sounded like something he did before. And he has done very well for himself and his family. This new song sounds like a retread. But the estate, i guess, will do what it wants. I mean, if Michael's sound 'untouched' (if it is that way) can only do so well, then Teddy is even more regionalized, because Michael's beloved around the world. Not saying Teddy can't do well here..i don't know. But then, I feel Michael secured a fail-safe way about his legacy, and he can't lose, no matter what the Estate does(IMO).

i'm guessing the spike lee thing might have helped Bad 25, but I also remember we are the world haiti. i'm guessing the estate backed that, too and proved that just because a legendary [producer is involved, doesn't mean it will necessarily go over that well, without MJ being there. But i understand that it's not going to be the same without Michael, anyway.

anyway..geez..it's hard trying to be politically correct all the time. the fact is, there's a sad tinge to all this.

Last edited:
Joy sounds like the sort of mid-tempo fluff than filled half of Invincible.

Of all the 'rare & unreleased' tracks I've heard of MJ's, I've only ever heard two or three at best that were ever good enough to be MJ album tracks (We've Had Enough, Behind The Mask and possibly If You Don't Love Me). I would have put BTM on HIStory instead of Come Together and the other two on Invincible.

Anyway, I don't get this attitude of 'I love Dangerous but I don't like Teddy's work on Michael so I now dislike/don't trust him'. It's like me saying that although I adore Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad & Dangerous but not half of Invincible that I don't like MJ stuff anymore. Same for not liking Teddy because of something he once said/wrote; I didn't agree with some of MJ's words/actions sometimes but I don't vilify the man for it. People make mistakes but shouldn't be judged on it.

Anyway, I don't get this attitude of 'I love Dangerous but I don't like Teddy's work on Michael so I now dislike/don't trust him'. It's like me saying that although I adore Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad & Dangerous but not half of Invincible that I don't like MJ stuff anymore.

No, it's not the same.

In my case the distrust comes from the fact that on Dangerous MJ was present, so he could push Teddy to do his best. When Teddy was working alone on "Michael" however, we saw the end result...

(And Invincible might not have been MJ's best work, but give me a 100 copies of Invincible, before one copy of "Michael".)

No, it's not the same.

In my case the distrust comes from the fact that on Dangerous MJ was present, so he could push Teddy to do his best. When Teddy was working alone on "Michael" however, we saw the end result...

(And Invincible might not have been MJ's best work, but give me a 100 copies of Invincible, before one copy of "Michael".)

What will you do with the other 99??!!

But the point I'm making is that someone's later inferior work does not negate all their superior work. Hence my Invincible/Dangerous analogy.

i happen not to think that INvincible was inferior. It's hard to call any multi platinum album 'inferior'. There may be people who say they don't like it, but i see a lot of people on here who start threads who say they love it.

Thoth;3805508 said:

For you that producer was able to craft all these genres with MJ.
For me it was MJ with Teddy, see the difference? That is not taking away credits from TR and definitely not hate him either :)

Thoth;3805508 said:
This discussion has become pointless. It seem to be repeating myself and it's not gonna change the fact that sadly some people blindly hate a person that they won't give credit where it's due.

I agree that this is pointless. I also see that I have to repeat myself but I don't feel like doing it :D

And I never said “hate”. The fact that people disagree with your opinion doesn't mean we hate that person. People should really learn that, is useful in this thread and also in real life.

Last edited:
gif-animado-gato-lixando-a-unha1.gif

Street cred means you have the 'streets' acknowledging your music, playing your shit. You might not relate to it but for many people in other communities, especially in the late 80's/90's (unlike now with the internet etc...) and with the rise of Hip-Hop it actually meant something. Believe me. Michael would call them "Talented kids from the Ghetto" lol. It's these kids that would pop n lock to your music or just blast it through a boombox in the streets. Not everyone can relate to that lifestyle but MJ knew it well along with the impact that Hip-Hop had on music/pop culture. I admire how he showed his love for the streets and the urban community in the criminally underrated "Jam" short film featuring another iconic figure that the community looked up to just like him, Michael Jordan. ...
Don't give the critics any ideas with the "ghetto" thing.

Actually even classical composers banked on that in a sense. Every opera composer would write at least one aria that would be easy enough to remember so that it could eat itself into the brains of the defenseless audience so that they may carry the tune out to the streets. Street cred just merely changed outfits. Michael kept stressing about the melody, you need to be able to hum it. If you do that you can carry people along to less hummable things.

I think in some heads it didn't quite process that a man with that kind of bank account actually talked HIV/AIDS before it clicked in the heads of everyone else.

Btw, speaking of street cred - he still has it. In the weird anecdote category:
The posthumous shot of Hollywood Tonight (the closing scene) literally took place - on the street. Hollywood Boulevard 2 am in the morning. And I remember plenty of folks coming straight up to the set to the point of security standing right behind us, trying to not get into the shot. All they heard was "Michael Jackson". "Oh really????"- fascinated looks.
Btw, what we heard from the speakers on the set was the remix, too, when it was filmed.

Just thought I added that 'street' experience in light of Mr. Riley and so on.
Thanks to Michael Jackson this classical musician from Eastern Germany with no street cred got her street cred dancing away on Hollywood Boulevard at 2 am in the morning - we've seen some REAL characters that night. :rofl::rofl:

But frankly, Michael can recite the phonebook for me. Or the back of a shampoo bottle in the shower and I bet it would be rather awesome.

A lot of stuff is generational, too. You have the generation that grew up on Thriller and consider that the ultimate. I frankly snicker at the outfits - and seriously came to age on Dangerous and then HIStory.
And today I'm the generation that knows Beyonce and Justin Timberlake because they are on SNL and Timberlake because my ears somehow survived the Boy Band generation. It's all relative, generational - and definitely regional. And then Michael himself is just universal.

Last edited:

Your whole post is irrelevant IMO. I stopped reading when you mentioned Hollywood tonight (which is also irrelevant to me and everything with it) and "Mike talked HIV/AIDS before it clicked in the heads of everyone else" which was by the way prominently on Dangerous/post-Dangerous. I thought you started listening at that time? lol never mind... But keep going on though. I'm having a laugh with all the shampoo bottles, phone books and outfits.

You literally took the term "street cred" and compared it with a video shoot on the "street" at 2 am to try to prove your point lmao. Just shows you didn't read or maybe fully understand my post which you were quick to quote and respond to. Also comparing the 'ghetto' and certain communities in urban areas in the 80's/90's , or even now to fancy Hollywood Boulevard and bringing up 'street cred' is plain hilarious. Do a history check before you respond.

Oh, and the last line...deep but still, irrelevant. I Just thought I'd add that (without the immature rofls of course)

Last edited:
The whole "street cred" stuff is not just generational, but also locational. (Like Pace,MioDolceCuore I'm European, but I know what it is.) But it's only considered important in a certain part of the world (US) in a certain community. And Michael was global.

Did the NJS/Teddy give MJ "street cred"? Might have, but how do we know for sure? You said previously that Michael kind of lost his "street cred" with Bad and got it back with Dangerous. Then why did Dangerous sell less (even if just slightly less) exactly in the US where "street cred" is considered important? It was in other parts of the world where Dangerous was more popular than Bad and which globally made it a bigger seller than Bad, not the US. So I'm not quite sure about this whole argument about "street cred". Maybe the people who bought Dangerous in the US, were those who just enjoyed Michael's music and who also bought Bad, not those who cared about "street cred".

You literally took the term "street cred" and compared it with a video shoot on the "street" at 2 am to try to prove your point lmao. ...

Just shows you didn't read or maybe fully understand my post which you were quick to quote and respond to. Also comparing the 'ghetto' and certain communities in urban areas in the 80's/90's , or even now to fancy Hollywood Boulevard and bringing up 'street cred' is plain hilarious. Do a history check before you respond.
Yes, it IS hilarious. Fancy? Relax, that WAS the joke.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Boulevard-Los_Angeles_California.html#REVIEWS
The place is actually what you'd call a dump. History check, Tehuti, that's the point!! Hollywood Tonight actually ties in wonderfully with Dangerous in its theme of what is considered urban - and I don't mean the sound.
--------------------------------------------------
You mean, like Michael in Bad? Taking it literally from the street, to the street? A little self-depreciating humor goes a long way. Relax. :)
That's the good thing - whether it's a Jewish neighborhood, Chinatown or anything else - people are people everywhere. Michael got that. Michael and the 'bad boys' dancing in a subway tunnel ironically is understood from Sydney to Moscow, that's the awesome thing.

And on a side note: I actually have nothing against Teddy Riley. To me he signifies a certain sound in particular time frame. There's no denying it. I was actually hoping he would be working on some demos. I remember tweeting him once as a 'thank you'- he thought it was an attack.
I appreciate that Michael tried to achieve his goal with a variety of people and I really don't think that his collaborators are undervalued. Many people still rightly hang on every word from Bruce Swedien, Teddy Riley and Quincy Jones - because there's lots to learn, what's the actual problem? I just separate the personal issues and stick to the process. Michael was open enough to seek out those whom he considered great collaborators.
Dangerous to me is still awesome - I'll never tire hearing it. It's like one great symphony that you can actually listen to in its entirety and the movements make sense - just like the movements in a symphony make sense.

Last edited:
Back