Spike Lee's Brooklyn Block Party for Michael!

oh wow!!! I wish I could have been there, it looks like my kind of party!

Wow! That was really nice; why not make it an annual Birthday Party. Good Looking Up Spike.

Well obviously i was out of the loop.lol.

I don't read the papers. I tend to depend on Yahoo! headlines to keep me in the loop.lol.
And I totally overlooked the thread here about the Brooklyn party. I guess I didn't realize that Spike Lee was organizing something like that. That is quite a tribute to MJ; complete with a birthday cake and all. It was well thought out and so touching.

And I must admit, when I saw all those people, so many thousands in Brooklyn, I was stunned. I am more and more surprised when I realize how many people really appreciated MJ but I guess for some reason or the other, they didn't express it alot when he was around. But he got some lovers and fans worldwide. So touching.

I was sad on saturday though.
Butterflies.....that song was THE best song on Invincible. When I hear it even now, the music, the vocals, it does something to my stomach. I guess it can be a selection at my wedding reception.

Thank you London for the best of clip. I love that little boy going so high on his tippy toes, I could just feel his pride at accomplishing it. :DDDDD

On Spike Lee's site he said it was more like 20,000 people but they will get the official police count soon. What ever the ending amount their looks to be a hell of alot of folks to me.

WOW that was mad DOPE of spike lee. I didn't know about it either until like the day before. I had just mistakenly ran across it while going to fandango to look for "this is it" the movie and saw the headline.

Mad props to spike lee. I use to live in bk and part of my fam still does. I'll defo try to make next years.
It looks like Spike and the crew toe' brooklyn down.:punk:

Thanks London! I loved the video that you made. Seeing all that Michael love was really heartwarming. I especially loved all the footage of the little kids doing their best MJ dance moves/impression.

Was it hot and humid that day? Or was the weather good after the rain?

Thanks London! I loved the video that you made. Seeing all that Michael love was really heartwarming. I especially loved all the footage of the little kids doing their best MJ dance moves/impression.

Was it hot and humid that day? Or was the weather good after the rain?

the weather was ok for me! it was a bit humid but because we were in a huge park, it was breezy as well. the rain was only a drizzle at the beginning, all we had was a wet ground but that didn't stop us!

and thank you so much everyone for the kind words about the video! i hadn't thought to check back at the thread, but thank you, i appreciate them so much. for those of you who couldn't make it this year: MAKE PLANS FOR NEXT YEAR'S IF THAT HAPPENS! i hope for now the video took you there with us. ^_^

the event was perfect as it closed with man in the mirror. it was really an amazing experience! and everyone knew where the "hoo!"s and "hee!"s should go. i love michael jackson fans!

wow that sounded truly awesome.

& I think Michael would be so proud of all his fans celebrating his birthday in some way, I'm sure of it :)

Hi guys. This is my first post here. I usually just lurk. But I just wanted to say that I went to the Spike Lee MJ birthday celebration. It was so much fun but also sad at certain moments whenever a more poignant MJ song was played. I have to admit that I was more of a casual Michael Jackson fan before his death. I mean, I liked his music and work but wasn't really into it like I am now, which is sad and regretful. I will be 46 soon so I grew up with his music but never really explored it very much. But since his death I have been listening to his music almost constantly - more than I ever did before. And I have learned so much about him that I didn't know before and I have been revisiting some good MJ memories with the help of YouTube (thank the stars for YouTube). And I am realizing what a gift this person was to this world. I am still stunned that he is gone. I still cannot come to terms with it. And if I, a casual fan, feel this way, I can only imagine how his diehard fans feel now. My condolences to you all. I know how much MJ loved his fans and vice versa.

Anyway, I just HAD to go to this Spike Lee event and celebrate Michael's amazing, incredible music with my Brooklyn peeps (although I hear there were people from well beyond Brooklyn that attended). I arrived at Nethermead Meadow around 12:30pm and stayed until the very last song was played around 5pm - "Man in The Mirror" (a poignant finale to the celebration). As previously posted, it was an incredible turnout. Thousands showed up! Spike Lee did a great job. One MJ hit after another was blasted from the speakers throughout the meadow. People of all ages and various ethnicities were singing along, clapping and dancing or swaying to the music. It was a beautiful, joyous, peaceful celebration and I was glad to be there. Just wish it were under different circumstances.

I was there too. My apartment is like 10 feet away from the park, haha. It was awesome. I got there a little before 12 and it was raining but there were a lot of people still. After like half an hour or so the rain stopped and the clouds were clearing as they started playing "Here Comes the Sun" and it was so amazing and this old old guy behind me said "You're going home, little brother. You're going home." And I broke down in tears. But happy tears. Kind of. I was there allll day. It felt like family - definitely the first "celebration" since his death. Beautiful day, sad we all had to share it alone =/

Hi guys. This is my first post here. I usually just lurk. But I just wanted to say that I went to the Spike Lee MJ birthday celebration. It was so much fun but also sad at certain moments whenever a more poignant MJ song was played. I have to admit that I was more of a casual Michael Jackson fan before his death. I mean, I liked his music and work but wasn't really into it like I am now, which is sad and regretful. I will be 46 soon so I grew up with his music but never really explored it very much. But since his death I have been listening to his music almost constantly - more than I ever did before. And I have learned so much about him that I didn't know before and I have been revisiting some good MJ memories with the help of YouTube (thank the stars for YouTube). And I am realizing what a gift this person was to this world. I am still stunned that he is gone. I still cannot come to terms with it. And if I, a casual fan, feel this way, I can only imagine how his diehard fans feel now. My condolences to you all. I know how much MJ loved his fans and vice versa.

Anyway, I just HAD to go to this Spike Lee event and celebrate Michael's amazing, incredible music with my Brooklyn peeps (although I hear there were people from well beyond Brooklyn that attended). I arrived at Nethermead Meadow around 12:30pm and stayed until the very last song was played around 5pm - "Man in The Mirror" (a poignant finale to the celebration). As previously posted, it was an incredible turnout. Thousands showed up! Spike Lee did a great job. One MJ hit after another was blasted from the speakers throughout the meadow. People of all ages and various ethnicities were singing along, clapping and dancing or swaying to the music. It was a beautiful, joyous, peaceful celebration and I was glad to be there. Just wish it were under different circumstances.

Aww what a sweet post. Welcome to the forum. I am new too but lurked for a while. I have needed all these blogs and stuff to help me with my grieving. Still feels like I heard the news yesterday.

I am going to go to the block party next year. I am hoping my mom and aunties will go. Its nice to see that people in their age group was there and enjoyed it.

I was there too. My apartment is like 10 feet away from the park, haha. It was awesome. I got there a little before 12 and it was raining but there were a lot of people still. After like half an hour or so the rain stopped and the clouds were clearing as they started playing "Here Comes the Sun" and it was so amazing and this old old guy behind me said "You're going home, little brother. You're going home." And I broke down in tears. But happy tears. Kind of. I was there allll day. It felt like family - definitely the first "celebration" since his death. Beautiful day, sad we all had to share it alone =/

Wow, you're so close to the park. I live in Bushwick so I had to take the subway there. Oh yes, that was an amazing moment when the skies cleared and they played "Here comes the sun"...there were many amazing moments like that (like the Butterflies appearing during "Butterflies").

Aww what a sweet post. Welcome to the forum. I am new too but lurked for a while. I have needed all these blogs and stuff to help me with my grieving. Still feels like I heard the news yesterday.

I am going to go to the block party next year. I am hoping my mom and aunties will go. Its nice to see that people in their age group was there and enjoyed it.

They played an extended version of I Can't Help It that was AMAZING.

I LOVED it! I've been looking for that version for a minute now with no luck. That same DJ even played it again at a party I went to that Sunday night...

I know I'm all late, but here's the little video I put together with the footage I shot that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6e6djS2rOU

Enjoy!

Back