Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Sure they all have more number one songs than he does...but he's also only released six solo albums whereas these peeps have released dozens. So I think his PERCENTAGE of number ones is higher...but nobody charts that apprently.

I really hope he fights for his legacy. I mean, he's still got an incredible legacy but people draw the line at thriller and that's always ticked me off.

thats the said thing that mj has had such a long carear yet released so little. imagine the sales etc if he had released albums every 2-3 years like other artists.

let me just play the devils advocate here in defense of Janet..

how come Mariah got to #1 with that weak song.. and Janet couldn't even get to #15 with Feedback.. now, I do think they are both equally weak songs...poor lyrics, etc... but how can LA Reid/Def Jam do for Mariah what they can't do for Janet???

Ummm?? something to ponder??

because janet's popularity is far far far less than mariah's.

because janet's popularity is far far far less than mariah's.
I've been saying this all along that Janet is nowhere near as popular as Mariah or madonna or even Britney and people want to come down on me as if I am being prejudiced. Britney spears is known all over the globe and her records still sell so does Maria Carey. |It's been a long time since I hear any young person, outside of fansites talking about janet. The evidence was in her record sales.
Young people in britain are not into Janet. If she delivers records that sounds like Maria and Britney, they will not buy it either. Her album sold a measely 3 000 here in britain in the frst week. Many MJ fans bought it. That means her fan base here is completey eroded. It did not do much better in the rest of europe.

Last edited:
Mariah is NOT an international superstar like Janet, MJ, Madonna, etc. What a joke. Island Def Jam is doing Mariah a favor, because 'Touch My Body' sounds like something that could of came from Glitter or Charmbracelet, easily. Janet barely did any promo in the US, and hasn't stepped foot onto overseas places in over a decade!! How do you to expect her to sell? :rolleyes:

Remember in 2001 when Mariah was having a breakdown and couldn't sell nothing, while Janet was striving at an all time high with All For You? (which Invincible's first week sales sold half AFY's amount, which was more than 600,000). What was it than, that Mariah suddenly wasn't far far far more popular than Janet? :rolleyes:

Anyway, she's going on tour in the fall :)

I think it is time for Mike to strive for another number 1 record. He hasn't had one on the Billboard charts for over 13 years

So? He shouldn't strive for numbers, he should make a good record.

Last edited:
^ ha???

have you noticed her worldwide sales??

She was named the 'female artist of the millenium' for a reason..

And what does the 2001 thing have to do with anything??

U can always take a moment where some1 is not doing well and compare it to someone doing well and make them sound like worse..

Take right now for instance..

Mariah's album is selling VERY well.. It was released just 13 days ago and has sold 620,000 albums... It's her BEST opening sales for any of her albums..

Now lets talk about Janets new album.... well in comparison it did hardly ANYTHING..

P.S. EVERYONE goes in hopeing for a NUMBER 1 album..

Last edited:
Re: AW: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Having number 1's don't mean much these days. In the old days an entry would start a the bottom and climb its way to the top. it was much harder to get number ones. Today you are expected to enter at mumber ones. The problem is that the only way is down after that, which means that sales fuigure might not be much. lOOK at janets album, debut at 1 now hardly selling anything. MJ's album still in top 20 and sold more that 400, 000. That is the difference.

I agree :yes:

We know these ppl have alot of number one singles, and that's great, whoo hoo.
But Michael has not put out as many albums as them, and if he did, he'd probably have more number ones. Sooooooo, good job 4 them, and merry christmas (if u celebrate it)

^ ha???

U can always take a moment where some1 is not doing well and compare it to someone doing well and make them sound like worse..

Mariah's album is selling VERY well.. It was released just 13 days ago and has sold 620,000 albums... It's her BEST opening sales for any of her albums..

Now lets talk about Janets new album.... well in comparison it did hardly ANYTHING..

Maria was always abigger international star than Janet. Maria was a singing sensation. Janet was not. Janet has not been talked about for decades here in Britain. Every little girl has loved Maria at one time or another. She has many fans here in Britain and she is a house- hold name..

AW: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Oh yes... here we go again! Janet never has been a star around the world, she never had success around the world, she never toured around the world, nobody knows her and Latoya is a megastar! :rolleyes: Bulls hit!

It's not going well at the moment, but she still was and is a household name, in the same league as Carey!! Britney currently is only known for being a whack job and a lousy mother! And many people think the same about Carey (the whack job part)... her artistic merit is not visible anymore... she's mostly known for being overweight and getting naked whenever she has the chance! And no, you don't have to tell me that Janet's image also suffered a severe blow in the last couple of years, I'm aware of that!

Last edited:

Oh yes... here we go again! Janet never has been a star around the world, she never had success around the world, she never toured around the world, nobody knows her and Latoya is a megastar! :rolleyes: Bulls hit!

It's not going well at the moment, but she still was and is a household name, in the same league as Carey!! Britney currently is only known for being a whack job! And many people think the same about Carey! And no, you don't have to tell me that Janet's image also suffered a severe blow in the last couple of years!
She is not a household name ion Britain unless you talking about the whole jackson family. Stop you drama.You over-react too much. Janet's album entered the british cgharts at number 63 and fell right out the next week. That has never happened to a big star before. I deal with young chioldren. They all talk about maria carey, many of them are fans, None oif them talk about Janet. When asked the most they will ask is if she is MJ's sister, but they will tell you No when you ask about her music. I did not make t up, it is a fact.
500,000 albums world wide om 9 weeks is not good. Maria sold 600,000 in 13 days. That is the difference.

I said, it's not going well at the moment! But that doesn't take away from here star status! And as a star I'd rather appeal to grown ups than to little children who still believe in Santa Claus!

I said, it's not going well at the moment! But that doesn't take away from here star status! And as a star I'd rather appeal to grown ups than to little children who still believe in Santa Claus!
Janet has not been relevant here in britain for well over 10 years now. People move on. Most of janets fans here were Jackson fans and MJ fans. Many of them grew up and move on from Janet but have stayed loyal to MJ. Janet hasn't managed to gain any new and younger fans. This isn't a put down on Janets part, it ids just how it is. Maria and Britney and madonna are massive here in Britain, Janet isn't. That is a fact.
About the adult fans, well 3000 isn't very much to write home about, is it, esp when the majority are MJ fas who bought the album to support a Jackson

Last edited:

Oh yeah, since you know every single 3000 people who bought that album! I forgot! :rolleyes:

Britney Spears's name should not even come up in this conversation..

She has not done a FRACTION of any of the others we've mentioned..

I don't care if she's a head liner right now in some places..

but she AINT sh** in comparison.

Last edited:
thats the said thing that mj has had such a long carear yet released so little. imagine the sales etc if he had released albums every 2-3 years like other artists.

Up until Victory, he (including Jacksons albums) did release stuff often. Several people said if J5 #1s were counted, MJ would be ahead of Mariah. By that criteria, you can add Paul McCartney's #1s to the Beatles (he was the most successful solo Beatle) and he'd still be ahead. That's why The Jacksons/MJ have separate stars in front of Mann's Chinese theater, and are inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame separately. Jacksons/MJ are 2 different things.

Michael could still tie or pass that record, concieveably. If he really put out a great record, and more following, he could get there. He already has 13 I think. And he's the only person to have, what was it, 5 or 6, number ones off of one album. He's capable, but whether he will or not, it's really in his hands. But he's the man. He's the most popular, successful recording and performing aritst ever, regardless of how many number ones he has.

Michael could still tie or pass that record, concieveably. If he really put out a great record, and more following, he could get there. He already has 13 I think. And he's the only person to have, what was it, 5 or 6, number ones off of one album. He's capable, but whether he will or not, it's really in his hands. But he's the man. He's the most popular, successful recording and performing aritst ever, regardless of how many number ones he has.
Not really, it would be more in the promotional department hands, and public opinion. That's why in the US, History & Invincble haven't really been successful singles wise. Also there is an ageism as far as radio is concerned in the states. After a certain age, you're pretty much on your own. That is why older acts like U2, Madonna, Sting, Michael McDonald, & Prince have put more recent stuff on TV commercials as they won't get any radio play (or very little). And someone has to pay enough money to the radio programmers to play your record, which is where they get the funds for those give-aways.

"History" had two number ones, which is pretty good. Mariah Carey's last album only yielded two number ones, but it was hailed as a huge comeback. "Invincible" would have been more successful, in the hits department I imagine, if Sony had actually gotten behind it and hadn't paid radio DJ's to not play any of the singles. But whatever. I still say it's in Michael's hands. He can write hits, that's something he's very good at and I'm sure that whatever lable he signs with now will be willing to back him on it. He's not your regular pop star, he can do something no one else can and he's a bigger star then all those you mentioned, even still.

Last edited:
"History" had two number ones, which is pretty good. Mariah Carey's last album only yielded two number ones, but it was hailed as a huge comeback. "Invincible" would have been more successful, in the hits department I imagine, if Sony had actually gotten behind it and hadn't paid radio DJ's to not play any of the singles. But whatever. I still say it's in Michael's hands. He can write hits, that's something he's very good at and I'm sure that whatever lable he signs with now will be willing to back him on it. He's not your regular pop star, he can do something no one else can and he's a bigger star then all those you mentioned, even still.
Lots of people can write "hits", but you still need promotional muscle. In the 1980s, if you wanted something, you actually had to buy a product. Now a lot of people get it for free by downloading it. The music business is a "What have you done for me lately?" kind of attitude. What happened long ago doesn't matter. It's very fickle. What becomes a "hit" is mainly based on promotion, nothing else. Why does Hannah Montana outsell Jill Scott? Jill's music has more quality, but she's not popular. I don't think "hits" are that important anyway. I listen to blues & jazz, which are never "hits".

Hits aren't that important. I'm just making a point. I think Michael could tie and pass the record. He's proven that he's the kind of artist who sells and who can have hits. Comparing it to Jill Scott isn't very good because she's an R&B artist, Michael, while he does R&B, is classified as pop, and he's still immensley popular and does radio friendly songs a lot of the time. He didn't with "History", but it still had hits. So I think he could do it, if he wanted. He's already broken so many records, I don't ever underestimate him. Like I said, any record lable right now I'm willing to bet is ready to back him 100%, because interest in Michael is high right now and people are waiting to see what he comes up with.

You could also put Michael's No.1's to 19 of you add the USA for Africa song We Are The World which he co-wrote and sang two verses on.

^ ha???

You totally missed the whole point.

Everything you just said couldn't apply to 2001 -- oh shes so much more popular than Janet, her album is doing much better/very well, etc. It wasn't that long ago when people were calling her a flop, while Janet's best week's opening was All For You.

It wasn't that hard to understand.

OH PLEASE. Whens the last time Janet has been overseas? She hasn't toured Europe or even visited there in over 10 years! How do you expect her to sell if she barely promoted anything in America, much less anywhere else?

Mariah is a household name and Janet is not?

Stop contradicting yourself. Most Janet fans are MJ/Jacksons fans? Okay, so why were you all threads ago talking about how much Janet fans are mean/don't like Michael? LOL. Make up your mind, because you can't have both whenever it suits your the discussion.

Janet has 6 #1 albums. Michael has 5.

Last edited:
OH PLEASE. Whens the last time Janet has been overseas? She hasn't toured Europe or even visited there in over 10 years! How do you expect her to sell if she barely promoted anything in America, much less anywhere else?

Mariah is a household name and Janet is not?

Stop contradicting yourself. Most Janet fans are MJ/Jacksons fans? Okay, so why were you all threads ago talking about how much Janet fans are mean/don't like Michael? LOL. Make up your mind, because you can't have both whenever it suits your the discussion.

Janet has 6 #1 albums. Michael has 5.
Well if she hasn't been overseas, how the hell do you expect her to be popular overseas. You just confirmed everything I just said. And NO Janet is not a household name here in Britain. She never has been, not in the same way as Britney, Maria or Madonna. Mention any of those names and people know straight away who you are talking about.

She was always MJ's little sister and get spoken about usually when people are talking about MJ's many siblings. That is unfortunate but if you check out her recent interview here in Londin you will find the same thing happening. MJ is fully in the mix. That is the reason why she now refuses to talk about MJ That is a fact, I didn't create it.

I do feel sorry for her because her family fame has not been helpful for her career. I see her trying desparately to get attention even with her recent stunt of exposing her breast and kissing degenrate on the lips and still no one is talking about it. Had it been Madonna it would have been all over the news.

AW: Re: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Well if she hasn't been overseas, how the hell do you expect her to be popular overseas. You just confirmed everything I just said. And NO Janet is not a household name here in Britain. She never has been, not in the same way as Britney, Maria or Madonna. Mention any of those names and people know straight away who you are talking about.
Oh yes... and if you mention the name Janet Jackson you just get a blank stare! :rolleyes: You're seriously trying too hard! You should leave your children and get among teenagers and adults! And that she's always Michael's sister doesn't take away from the fact that she has made a name for herself, it has more to do with the fact that her brother is the controversial Michael Jackson, the king of pop and not Christopher Ciccone!! No one of the aforementioned has to compete with a sibbling like that... and while Michael and the family certainly opened some doors for Janet early on, in the long run, I think it hinders her more than it helps her!

And Carey is called Mariah, not Maria!

Last edited:
Re: AW: Re: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Oh yes... and if you mention the name Janet Jackson you just get a blank stare! :rolleyes: You're seriously trying too hard! You should leave your children and get among teenagers and adults! And that she's always Michael's sister doesn't take away from the fact that she has made a name for herself, it has more to do with the fact that her brother is the controversial Michael Jackson, the king of pop and not Christopher Ciccone!!

And Carey is called Mariah, not Maria!
I don't know why you are always so angry 77. It says a lot about you. And yes, you are right. You do get a big stare if you say Janet, here in Britain. Maybe if she hadn't changed her music so much she wouldn't have that problem. I told you Janets fan base here mainly consist of MJ fans. MJ sold 60, 000 records on the first week and his album is still in the top 20.
janets peeked at 63, and fell to 123 the second week. I don't have to hate Janet to make a true observation. She is not an household name in britain. She never has. 3T was way more popular than Janet. One of the reason why Janet never did very well here is because many thought she was merely the female version of Michael Hence the name MJ twin. That was the reason why MJ said that he and Janet were 2 different people. Britain loved Michael, and so Janet did not stand much of a chance.. It is the truth.

I'm not angy... I just think you're annoying and ridiculous! And each post (and your countless threads) of yours gets more ridiculous (case in point your last post... 3T more popular??)! Janet is a star! Regardless of how much you try to downplay Janet's status!

Last edited:

I'm not angy... I just think you're annoying and ridiculous! And each post (and your countless threads) of yours gets more ridiculous! Janet is a star! Regardless of how much you try to downplay Janet's status!
What countless threads. Why are you so annoyed because I tell my opnion? You are always u in MJ's finacial business and putting him down and I don't get annoyed with you. In fact I am always curteous to you,. Shame you can't manage to separate your personal feelings from a board discussion.
I never said Janet was not a star, or even a superstar, but you must understand that if people don't see you or hear from you in a decade they will wonder about your status. Janet has not been seen or heard from in the british charts and no body has been talking about her. If I hadn't come on an MJ fansite, I wouldn't even know what Janet looked like, Yet I know Beyonce, Britney, Madonna, Maria(h) Whitney was massive here and still is even though she is doing nothing at the moment. This is the difference with janet. She hasn't been seen or heard of, and now she wants to sell records. Well it s like starting afresh for her. many young people are saying,'Janet Who'. I heard them say so myself. The next question is,'Is she related to Michael jackson?' This is unfortunate for janet but that is the way it is.
Selling 3 000 records is pretty dismal, not even cliff richards has ever done that bad. I do believe MJ fans bought up those records.

Back