Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

I want to ask how many nr. 1 Mike had in the Billboard Charts and how money top 40 hits?

That's all...:eek:
You shoulsd have made hthe title about Michael then. People may think this is another madonna, elvis v Michael comparison, and it never ends well.:eek:

I don't know, I think 13 or something, but go Mariah! lol. I was waiting for someone to beat that record, lol. If Michael released more albums, he'd probably have it by now.

people like mariah and madonna release albums all the time...michael is the more secure guy when it comes to releasing an album...

but yeah, michael has 13 or 14 #1 billboard #100 songs, followed by whitney houston and janet jackson with 1-2 less

Michael Jackson has 18 Billboard Number Ones on Billboard

#1 I want you back
#1 The love you save
#1 ABC
#1 Ill be there
#1 Ben
#1 Don’t stop till you get enough
#1 Rock with you
#1 Billie Jean
#1 Beat it
#1 Say say say
#1 We are the world
#1 I just cant stop loving you
#1 Bad
#1 The way you make me feel
#1 Man in the mirror
#1 Dirty Diana
#1 Black or white
#1 You are not alone

Notes:

If you minus the group efforts then yes MJ only has 13 number one hits, however the Beatles were a group and their 20 number ones still count so I guess we should include J5 number ones. Making 17 number ones for MJ..

Many wont count We are the world but as MJ was so instrumental in the entire song especially as he had already conceived the vocals on a solo version (see demo the ultimate collection) I think it is safe to say that this is as an MJ number one…..GIVING US A GRAND TOTAL OF 18 number ones…….same as miss Mariah Carey………so there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However even though I am a die hard MJ fan for life I have to admit without any doubt in my mind, Mariah is the queen of the Billboard charts…her 18 number ones have come since 1990..ie only 18 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that time MJ has only had two number ones…..

I accept that MJ hasn’t released as many albums or singles as Mariah etc in the last 18 years….but SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s not Mariah’s fault…..so lets give credit were credits due...!!!..

If you don’t produce work in a certain geographical area or PROMOTE IT ( ie invincible had so much potential its almost criminal that tracks like YRMW, Butterflies, Whatever happens were not released for sale instead only to radio…these tracks had number ones written all over them.. and lets not forget Earth song…why was that never released...dont get me started ….!!!) then expect your records or sales to be caught up…like Mariah has…..

What gets me is that if MJ or Sony had done their homework properly MJ would easily have surpasses the record held by the Beatles…”20 number ones”

Any way a further note….

This is the biggest year in the history of billboard charts for album releases. All the big sellers are making a return and some new hotter stars…. so by December the questions will be asked “who is the real king/queen” the following artists release their albums

Mariah Carey (biggest selling female artist of all time)
Madonna
Whitney Houston (returning after 10 years.. wow)
Celine Dion (one of the biggest selling female artist behind Mariah)
Usher (biggest 1st week album sales by a solo artist in billboard chart history over 1.5 million in first week of his last album confessions!!!!)
Neyo
Akon
Coldplay
Michael Jackson (King of pop..simple and true)

...and there are some others which i am forgetting right now....damn....

So who will win?…find out year end billboard….December 2008

I understand that to us fans these things don’t matter ..MJ will always be King and Thriller will never be surpassed …but my argument is from a consumer and purely sales point of view…2008/2009….

I don’t think MJ has a choice…..he has to kick ass….on billboard.....even if it is for one last time…..not for the fans…but to prove to the industry…and critics….just one last time…..

I wait in hope ..and faith…

Goodluck MJ

I think it is time for Mike to strive for another number 1 record. He hasn't had one on the Billboard charts for over 13 years

I think it is time for Mike to strive for another number 1 record. He hasn't had one on the Billboard charts for over 13 years

i was actually discussing this very fact with a friend earlier today.
i would imagine MJ would be striving to get there one more time at least. Would be nice for him to have a hit at this stage in his career, being that you have to look back 13 years for one. If he can manage just one more at least it adds a whole new era and decade to his period of producing hit music.

Not to mention another Billboard #1 would extend his Guniess World Record of longest span between #1 hits an additional 13 years. That would be impossible to break.

Notes:

If you minus the group efforts then yes MJ only has 13 number one hits, however the Beatles were a group and their 20 number ones still count so I guess we should include J5 number ones. Making 17 number ones for MJ..

no, you cant do this.

If you include J5's number 1s

then John Lennon and Paul's solo No.1s should also be included

Michael Jackson has 18 Billboard Number Ones on Billboard

Neyo
Coldplay

haha ok the others are ok, but these 2...neyo tries hard but if he doesn't come up with something better than "so sick", he wont be seeing the billboard top 5 anytime soon... and coldplay... no.

haha ok the others are ok, but these 2...neyo tries hard but if he doesn't come up with something better than "so sick", he wont be seeing the billboard top 5 anytime soon... and coldplay... no.

neyo has written 3 tracks which each held billboard #1 spot for 9, 9 & 10 weeks!
hopefully he wrote MJ a blockbuster tune or two for his new album haha

neyo has written 3 tracks which each held billboard #1 spot for 9, 9 & 10 weeks!
hopefully he wrote MJ a blockbuster tune or two for his new album haha

I hope so too! I don't know about will.i.am's hit making capabilities for other artists but for the BEP's and Fergie, he's been pretty successful. I'm hoping he has given Michael some hits too

I am pretty certain that if Michael's main intention was not to get #1 hits and be on top again .. the people he is rumoured to be collaborating with.. would have not had the opportunity to work with him..

in today's industry for music... you have to choose certain players if you want to win.. becuz those young exec's making the decision .. on an artist's music.. is not from the 70's ..80's.. they looking at the music from young eyes..

so stop sweating him.. he knows whats up...

Last edited:
so stop sweating him.. he knows whats up...

He dang sure does know what he's doing, he LEARNED from the best.

It reminds me of Berry Gordy saying, that from a very young age, Michael watched EVERYTHING Berry did and when he wasn't watching, he was asking questions. LOL!

So.. Mariah has 18 nr. 1 hits in the USA.. Madonna has 37 songs in the first 40..

How many does Michael have?

well..i just think it's not a good indicator of success these days, relative to what you are talking about..because the charts used to be based on sales...now it's based on airplay and decisions by programmers. now they say it includes downloads..but every time i listen to the top forty, they say it's just based on radio airplay. and they tend to pick their artists, so....if MJ seems to get trounced in this area...it means nothing.

AW: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Hmm, I just realized why you all are suddenly talking about Carey's #1's... Man, she did it again?? It's sickening to think that she now has 18 #1's!

Mariah is tied with the Beatles #1..

Michael has 13 #1 solo hits.. (they don't count J5/Jacksons stuff)

well if Michael gets 6 #1 hits off his next album.. he'll be #1..

that's tough though these days..

Also Mariah has the most WMA's.. Michael is only behind by ONE award.. SO if he got 2 more WMA's he would have THE MOST..

No! She's tied with Elvis! The Beatles do have 20 #1's!

well that's not what she said herself.. I was taking Mariah's word.. She was on the radio and the radio host asked her about it.. ok than

Here's an article:

18 #1 Hit Singles, Mariah Ties In 2nd Place With Elvis (Needs 2 More To Tie With The Beatles)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...roll-over-elvis-and-tell-the-beatles-the-news

Week Ending March 30, 2008: Roll Over Elvis (And Tell The Beatles The News)
Posted 59 minutes ago by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" debuts at #1 on the Hot Digital Songs chart and is set to jump to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, which will be finalized on Thursday. This will be Carey's 18th #1 single, which will put her in a tie with Elvis Presley for second place among artists with the most #1 singles in the rock era (1955 to the present). Only the Beatles have had more. They scored 20.

Last edited:

Hmm, I should have read on... that article also features Michael and acknowledges his 17 #1's (including the Jackson 5)!

Edit: Okay, there seems to be a bit of a confusion... he changed his article... Elvis had one doublesided #1, so some say he's had 17 #1's and some say he had 18! Here is the current article:

Week Ending March 30, 2008: Roll Over Elvis (And Tell The Beatles The News)
Posted Wed. Apr 2, 3:11 PM ET by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" vaults from #15 to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100. It's Carey's 18th #1 single, which pushes her ahead of Elvis Presley as the solo artist with the most #1 singles in the rock era (1955 to the present). Only the Beatles have had more. They scored 20.

Carey first topped the Hot 100 in August 1990 with "Vision Of Love." Elvis first topped the Top 100 (the precursor to the Hot 100) in 1956 with "Heartbreak Hotel." He scored his 17th and last #1 in 1969 with "Suspicious Minds." The Beatles crammed their 20 #1 hits into a commercially and creatively unsurpassed 6-1/2 year stretch, from "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in 1964 to "The Long And Winding Road" in 1970.

Diana Ross is tied with Carey at 18 #1 hits, if you combine her 12 chart-toppers with the Supremes and the six from her solo career. Michael Jackson is a beat behind with 17, if you combine his four #1 hits fronting the Jackson 5 and the 13 from his solo career. Other artists with 10 or more #1 hits are: Madonna, 12; Whitney Houston, 11; and Janet Jackson and George Michael, 10 each.

(Some key sources show Presley with 18 #1 hits. That's because his 1956 smash "Don't Be Cruel"/"Hound Dog" was a two-sided hit.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...roll-over-elvis-and-tell-the-beatles-the-news

Last edited:
Re: AW: Since Mariah and Madonna defeated Elvis...(MJ Related)

Having number 1's don't mean much these days. In the old days an entry would start a the bottom and climb its way to the top. it was much harder to get number ones. Today you are expected to enter at mumber ones. The problem is that the only way is down after that, which means that sales fuigure might not be much. lOOK at janets album, debut at 1 now hardly selling anything. MJ's album still in top 20 and sold more that 400, 000. That is the difference.

Last edited:

Well, regardless of whether it's harder or not... it's still an impressive (not quite sure if deserved) feat! Otherwise every major artist would have 20 #1's!

Last edited:
let me just play the devils advocate here in defense of Janet..

how come Mariah got to #1 with that weak song.. and Janet couldn't even get to #15 with Feedback.. now, I do think they are both equally weak songs...poor lyrics, etc... but how can LA Reid/Def Jam do for Mariah what they can't do for Janet???

Ummm?? something to ponder??

Yeah! Good question! Wondered about that myself!

I can't believe nobody noticed this from the same article...............

Michael Jackson's Thriller 25 is #1 on Top Catalog Albums for the seventh straight week. Its sales of 26,000 would have placed it #15 on the main chart if older catalog albums were allowed to compete there. This is the longest continuous run at #1 on the catalog chart since Johnny Cash's 16 Biggest Hits had 10 straight weeks on top two years ago. The Cash collection had 26 weeks at #1 all told.

Back