"Say, say, say" ranked as MJ's biggest Billboard hit. WTF?!

LOL! Uh-huh, yeah. :doh: B.S. plain & simple. Even non-fans know better than that.

It just so happens that the 'journalists' and 'music critics' that bash MJ happen to be old white people from old white media. what a coincidence!

No offense, but "Say Say Say" being Michael's biggest hit = racial conspiracy is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Seriously? Why not appreciate the fact Michael's music is respected enough to merit this sort of list in the first place? I don't understand how you guys are able to appreciate MJ when all you do is look for hidden negative agendas against him in places where they clearly don't exist.

FWIW, it's Paul McCartney's biggest post-Beatles hit too. But that's probably an anti-British conspiracy, because there has to be an American singer too for it to be on top.

No offense, but "Say Say Say" being Michael's biggest hit = racial conspiracy is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Seriously? Why not appreciate the fact Michael's music is respected enough to merit this sort of list in the first place? I don't understand how you guys are able to appreciate MJ when all you do is look for hidden negative agendas against him in places where they clearly don't exist.

FWIW, it's Paul McCartney's biggest post-Beatles hit too. But that's probably an anti-British conspiracy, because there has to be an American singer too for it to be on top.

did you see the billboard trashing article on MJ, aside from this list? apparently you haven't seen what MJ has gone through..so, leave us to care for him.

did you see the billboard trashing article on MJ, aside from this list? apparently you haven't seen what MJ has gone through..so, leave us to care for him.

Leave who to care for him?

Billboard for whatever reason used a particular points system to work out his 'top' hits and not direct sales, so it won't give a true reflection of his most popular song. Only true sales numbers will do that. Why they did it is something only they can answer. I hope it is not a racial motive as that would be incredibly sad and against everyhting Michael stood for.

Say Say Say is a great song and whether we like it or not Paul MacCartney is beloved by millions. The song got Michael exposed in 1983 to people who might not otherwise have heard his music.

Leave who to care for him?

Billboard for whatever reason used a particular points system to work out his 'top' hits and not direct sales, so it won't give a true reflection of his most popular song. Only true sales numbers will do that. Why they did it is something only they can answer. I hope it is not a racial motive as that would be incredibly sad and against everyhting Michael stood for.

Say Say Say is a great song and whether we like it or not Paul MacCartney is beloved by millions. The song got Michael exposed in 1983 to people who might not otherwise have heard his music.

that assumption that certain people always listen to certain types of music is a very big assumption. a whole lot of MJ fans loved MJ's solo music, and didn't need another artist to help them out.

I'm sorry but, most of the world considers Michael to be white, why would they do this because he is black if they think that he isn't?

Is it me, or are you saying that before Say, Say, Say, Michael & his music were not sufficiently known around the world?

Hello???

I do not know if you know but Jackson 5 and The Jacksons were well known and celebrated around the world.

Not to mention that Off the Wall, when released was the best selling album in black music.

What you says simply makes NO sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Seven
I've heard a lot of dumb comments about MJ made by the beatles fans but this is one of the dumbest one! It's like saying Lisa marie got MJ exposed in 1995. :wtf:

Why they did it is something only they can answer. I hope it is not a racial motive as that would be incredibly sad and against everyhting Michael stood for.
what about the trashy billboard article about MJ? What do you think their motive is other than racial motive?

this thread was bound to end badly. billboard magazine is the source of the article. you start in a rediculous place, you end up in a rediculous place.

HELLO???? IT'S THE TOP BEATLES SONG TOO!!

Can people not see what i wrote on page 4 about THE BILLBOARD BOOK AND MJ being in the top no1 beatles billbord song chart too for Say Say Say?
so tell me should their fans be complaining that a BLACK guy is being forced into their legacy...?
NO... all this is just how the ODD billboard chart system works, it a chart satistic, not, I repeat NOT a creative review, or musical judgement.

To MARIALOVESMJ
no complaints, read what i said. it's Just an observations to make the point that all the trials and stuff kept people away, but now they, new 'fans' feel comfortable liking him now he's gone because they can choose which mj they like... ie the music man, not the tabloid image. We here liked him while he had all the trouble so surly u see a differance, I'm happy his music is now the focus so it was not a complaint :- )

To MARIALOVESMJ
no complaints, read what i said. it's Just an observations to make the point that all the trials and stuff kept people away, but now they, new 'fans' feel comfortable liking him now he's gone because they can choose which mj they like... ie the music man, not the tabloid image. We here liked him while he had all the trouble so surly u see a differance, I'm happy his music is now the focus so it was not a complaint :- )

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. :( And I guess that many do though. And I also am glad too that it's the focus instead of the scandals though the media sometimes want the scandals to be the focus.

So now you are saying you are from the U.k. or what? LOL

Honey, I don't want to be offensive, but your comment is SO inappropriate.

Man, Michael was even famous in Asia since the Jackson 5 era.

it's true, my mum lived in the most remote place in South America and danced to Jackson 5 in the discos there, back in the 70's :)

Last edited:
never! May be in USA! This is ridiculous. I don't know anyone who even knows this song. Give me a break. Yes, Michael should be belittled.

May I just add that Michael has ALSO been the hugest in the Middle East, before his off the wall album!! I'm an Arab. My mother/aunt/uncle have been MJ fans since forever. Before his solo career.

one more thing,to Arabs Michael was and is the biggest non-arab music figure of all time. People have not had such love and adoration for Elvis and the Beatles (no offense to their fans here. I'm just stating a fact). They just didn't care for their type of music.

On the other hand, people were attracted and had some sort of unprecedented attachment to Michael. To his music, has dance, his sex appeal. He was all of that even to people who didn't speak or understand a word in English.

I think many hateful journalists and critics should realize that one day. or maybe they know it, and they just hate it. So they have this urge to downplay his success ;)

Can people not see what i wrote on page 4 about THE BILLBOARD BOOK AND MJ being in the top no1 beatles billbord song chart too for Say Say Say?
so tell me should their fans be complaining that a BLACK guy is being forced into their legacy...?
NO... all this is just how the ODD billboard chart system works, it a chart satistic, not, I repeat NOT a creative review, or musical judgement.

I saw what you said -

my memory just kicked in... I remember that Billboard book, it also had a top Beatles chart, and Say Say Say was the top Beatle song in that book! so think about that... i will try and get the book title for u it's at another house now, i'm rich and have lots of homes... not!

hmmmm.. strange.

You mean Say Say Say is listed as the top Beatles Billboard hit and the top MJ Billboard hit??

hmmm.

To MARIALOVESMJ

that can't be possible since Paul McCartney was solo at that point. so that would make billboard both stupid and evil.

No, it's true. I know a lot of people that now think that Mike is white, and not black. They ridicule him when he plays the race card.

there are people that will convince you that they are serious, when in fact they are mockers. unless they never heard a day of media in their lives, they are mockers.

Hey Guys and Gyals............

Remember, the Billboard in no longer relevant in the music business any more as most people don't buy music.......

......anyway, Michael was a WORLDWIDE superstar, the sales of the country that hated him most and caused him most harm shouldn't count!!!!!!!

yes... whatever people may think, in the billboard book from the 90's (which I will scan later this week to show u) they decided to list the top 50 MJ tracks (J5 also), and for the Beatles they had ALL 4 members listed as both GROUP and as SOLO artists in the SAME chart. So SAY SAY SAY was both the number 1 MJ song and Beatles song.

just telling people what they wrote so they know that this is OLD news and no BIG conspiracy against MJ as he is in the top Beatles chart too. ok will sort scan later this week if anyone wants that is?

yes... whatever people may think, in the billboard book from the 90's (which I will scan later this week to show u) they decided to list the top 50 MJ tracks (J5 also), and for the Beatles they had ALL 4 members listed as both GROUP and as SOLO artists in the SAME chart. So SAY SAY SAY was both the number 1 MJ song and Beatles song.

just telling people what they wrote so they know that this is OLD news and no BIG conspiracy against MJ as he is in the top Beatles chart too. ok will sort scan later this week if anyone wants that is?

well..the idea of conspiracy is still open to debate. it's not like it's NOT possible. i'm sure if MJ wasn't treated as he was, in life, nobody could imagine THAT, either. but, anyway...listing the members of the beatles as both members and solo is vague. they really should specify. it doesn't sound professional. so, we'll never know. anyway, for the magazine to wait all these years and THEN make a way out determination like they did, just sounds like a mag wanting to get our attention. and they did. it is easy to believe that such a weird determination of number 1 versus length on chart, can make it easy to believe that billboard is capable of anything. anyway...MJ has a lot of hits, so billboard can't hurt MJ's legacy...

it's just that, this is all proof that if people want to compile a list, they can come up with criteria, any imagined way they want, if it will suit their purpose. why should a song go to number 1, if it has less potency for doing it? you might as well say, that not having a number 1 isn't so bad, after all. u can do better by not getting a number 1, than u can, if u DO get a number 1. how bout we just stop the countdown at number 2 instead of number 1..or..maybe even at number 4. it's just the lastest strange thing to happen to the american charts, in the MJ era...and, when billboard wants to focus on MJ.

Last edited:
Having lived through the Beatles era as a young adult, I could never downplay their impact, and I am a long time fan of theirs (Paul as well). But with that said, I would never EVER have thought SaySaySay would be considered Michael's biggest "Billboard" hit. Numbers may speak for themselves, yet this one leaves me scratching my head, like where the hell was I when this was selling so much that it would now be considered the #1 Billboard hit of all of Michael's music, or even collaborations?

:scratch:

Hey ,I just had a thought.Out of all The Duets. McCartney had 3 other duets that didn't have much of an impact as Michael's duets with him. Stevie Wonder did 2 with Paul ("Ebony and Ivory" and my fave "What's That your Doin'") One of Brian Wilson's Songs ( A Friend Like You) and one of Tony Bennett's Songs ( The Very Thought Of You).The songs That Michael and Paul did together had something to offer.( Smooth R&B and Pop)It was the dream matchup of alltime and I know Michael did some duets too That didn't have as much of an impact till he sang with Paul. I mean Before IJCSLY ofcourse. Get It with Stevie was great. Waz Up wit U with Eddie M was ok but still Jackson and McCartney was really bangin' back in the day.

Back