"Say, say, say" ranked as MJ's biggest Billboard hit. WTF?!

HIStory

Proud Member
http://www.billboard.com/news/say-s...michael-jackson-s-1004098909.story?tag=hpfeed

Look at the trick they did to make this McCartney song MJ's "biggest hit":

""Billie Jean" places as Jackson's second-biggest single. While the song spent one more week at No. 1 and two more weeks on the Hot 100 than "Say Say Say," the latter title totaled more weeks than the former track in the top 10 (13/11), top 20 (16/12) and top 40 (18/17)."

I'm pretty sure "Say, say, say" isn't MJ's biggest selling track ever. But they will never let a black guy outshine the Beatles and Elvis, will they?

Same with the tricking with the Eagels' "Greatest Hits" album and so on.....

Make of it what you want, but I don't think MJ was totally nuts when he felt there was a conspiracy against him in the industry.

Yeah I saw that myself. All I have to say is they need to give credit where it's do and in this case it's been LONG over due and they still try and add to and take from in this scenerio and it is not right. He is the biggest selling artist and we know it so it really doesn't matter what Billboard has to say to be honest.

Oh my God. How do you live like this? Making every bit of news a conspiracy and negative?

Truth is, Say Say Say was #1 for 6 weeks in the US and probably was his biggest seller. Helped by the fact it wasn't on a 30-50 million selling album like most of MJ's other hits.

Oh my God. How do you live like this? Making every bit of news a conspiracy and negative?

Truth is, Say Say Say was #1 for 6 weeks in the US and probably was his biggest seller. Helped by the fact it wasn't on a 30-50 million selling album like most of MJ's other hits.

Billie Jean spent more weeks on #1 and in the Hot 100, so they found another criteria to put Say, say, say on top.

I'm usually not one who makes conspiracy theories BTW, but it does look fishy IMO.

I think Paul McCartney is administrator of the billboard site :d

billboard and other ‘authoritative' and 'legitimate' w media You have made it too obvious you're jealous of MJ! LOL! and is so damn threatened by MJ! :rolleyes:

On another note, so MJ has earnt nearly 1 billion in just one year of his death, which is two third of elvis's earning in the 33 years of his death. LOL I wonder how this * media Forbes is going to play this fact out? hmmm....

If MJ isn't at no:1 on its 'Top earning dead celebs list', then you know what's up already! or maybe they might abolish such list for fear that MJ estate will put other estates (like their beloved elvis's) to shame!
ahaha.

Do you seriously think that Say say say is greater than Billie Jean?

Do you seriously think that Say say say is greater than Billie Jean?

I'm not sure how you extracted that conclusion from my post.

I'm saying there's a chance it sold more beating in mind its 6 weeks at the top and it was on an album that not many people bought (circa 3 million for Pipes of Peace, compared to -at the time- 25 million for Thriller).

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing or how it is a possible racist conspiracy theory. How do you think the meeting went......

Dark room, 4 white suited men set round a table with a small spotlight in the middle, the room is awash with cigarette smoke.

Man 1: Okay we need some more ammunition to sully Michael Jackson's name.
Man 2: What can we do, we've already said he's a weirdo, he's a paedophile, he's bankrupt, he's not the biological father of his kids.
Man 1: I don't care. Think harder dammit.

Some time later...

Man 3: I've got it, let's tell everyone that Say Say Say outsold Billie Jean.
Man 1: He's got it. Give the boy a peanut.

I'm not sure how you extracted that conclusion from my post.

I'm saying there's a chance it sold more beating in mind its 6 weeks at the top and it was on an album that not many people bought (circa 3 million for Pipes of Peace, compared to -at the time- 25 million for Thriller).

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing or how it is a possible racist conspiracy theory. How do you think the meeting went......

Dark room, 4 white suited men set round a table with a small spotlight in the middle, the room is awash with cigarette smoke.

Man 1: Okay we need some more ammunition to sully Michael Jackson's name.
Man 2: What can we do, we've already said he's a weirdo, he's a paedophile, he's bankrupt, he's not the biological father of his kids.
Man 1: I don't care. Think harder dammit.

Some time later...

Man 3: I've got it, let's tell everyone that Say Say Say outsold Billie Jean.
Man 1: He's got it. Give the boy a peanut.

No, I don't think it went like that, but there are a lot of agendas and interests in showbusiness and in the media. I used to put down a lot of those as "conspiracy theories" as well, but you cannot say this "paranoia" of fans regarding MJ's treatment in the media is without any basis.... If they lied about a lot more serious and even criminal matters it doesn't take much for them to lie about such as sale numbers either.

Maybe somebody can come up with the actual sale numbers of the singles "Say, say, say" and "Billie Jean" and so it could be cleared.

Maybe somebody can come up with the actual sale numbers of the singles "Say, say, say" and "Billie Jean" and so it could be cleared.

Or maybe there's bigger things to get worried about like murder, The Middle East, recession, oil spills, poverty, child abuse, Glee.........

Or maybe there's bigger things to get worried about like murder, The Middle East, recession, oil spills, poverty, child abuse, Glee.........

Yes, but tell it to the media, who spent 24 hours on the MJ case in 2003 when Michael's home was raided and meanwhile "forgot" to report on such things as a terror attack in Turkey and so on....

And BTW, this is a MJ board, so it's obvious that here not The Middle East, recession, oil spills will be the main topics and MJ news will be reacted to.
You are free to discuss those other topics in the Off topic session.

Last edited:
But they will never let a black guy outshine the Beatles and Elvis, will they?

Lol, Paul MCcartney might have been a member of the Beatles, but I would say that as a solo artist MJ has outshone PM about a 100000 times... and as the song is written by solo Paul and MJ I'm not really sure what you want to say?? also bringing Elvis into this?? the man hardly wrote any of his material... so as a composer MJ for sure has outshone Elvis...

I think this is a legitimate topic to discuss, after all this is an MJ forum. I wonder if this has something to do with Sony owning 1/2 the Beatles catalog, wanting to downplay MJ (solo artist) and promote Say Say Say because it has a half-interest in a Beatles member, PM. Although the Beatles have never really gone out of style, there seems to be more Beatles merchandise around than I've seen since it was originally released in the late '60s to 1970.

Nice one billboard marketing team. You probably wouldn't have got any attention if you had the correct order of things. Instead you go out of your way to twist things and it worked. Media is picking up on this like crazy. Bravo!

Now a days Billie Jean is definatly the more popular song. Alot of non fans haven't even heard of Say Say Say. Infact i think that The Girl Is Mine is more well known

Say Say Say wasn't even on Michael's album. so technically it's Paul's song, not Michael's.

I hear you peeps. Yeah, Say, Say, Say wasn't on Mike's albums after Thriller,I think it should have been on a Michael album to really share the fame but we don't know if Michael thought that far like some artist did during that time.To me, I don't care about charts or who's on top,as long as the song sounds great,That's all I care about. and Sir Macca and Michael are my first loves and I enjoyed their work together on the songs they recorded together.I bet you there are more songs in that vault that never saw the light of day. And here's another hint,They reported this in time for Sir Paul's 68th Birthday. No, they'll never let a Black artist of Michael's caliber outshine the White artist who came before him but Michael is up there with them and That to me means alot in this Music Industry HIStory. And This peeps will never be repeated,EVER....

Nice one billboard marketing team. You probably wouldn't have got any attention if you had the correct order of things. Instead you go out of your way to twist things and it worked. Media is picking up on this like crazy. Bravo!
You're right! I never saw other media outlet picking up that story about MJ's Invincible voted the best album of the decade! so this time they got a job well done!

"Billie Jean" places as Jackson's second-biggest single. While the song spent one more week at No. 1 and two more weeks on the Hot 100 than "Say Say Say," the latter title totaled more weeks than the former track in the top 10 (13/11), top 20 (16/12) and top 40 (18/17).
I haven't understood how this works? Bunch of BS just to make it sound reasonable!

Crazy!! :D

Coincidentally, has anyone seen Macca play live recently? I'm really interested to see what he's like, cos i've only seen live footage. He sounded weak at Isle of Wight, but then I was watching from my living room! x

I think the ranking is a joke. They got some songs on they from the J5/Jacksons era. This should be about MJ's solo work, and only that.

"Say Say Say" is a great song (love it better than Girl Is Mine). I think some people are confused about it. It's not an opinion article that says SSS is the best MJ song, it's saying as far as being on top of the charts, it's the biggest.

I was quite surprised that "You Are Not Alone" wasn't even mentioned, considering it was the 1st song in music HIStory to debut at number 1 on the Hot 100 charts. To me, that's a pretty big feat.

Back