Rolling Stone's 100 best albums of the '80s - Michael is Number 7!

The album should have been number 1, Thriller received 8 grammys, and Thriller sold over
100 million. :doh:

Before his death, he probably would have ranked 77!
It's disgraceful how RollingStone generally ignore MJ's VAST contributions in the past.

"And perhaps more than any other artist, Prince called the tune for pop music in the Eighties, imprinting his Minneapolis sound on an entire generation of musicians, both black and white."

"And perhaps more than any other artist, Prince called the tune for pop music in the Eighties, imprinting his Minneapolis sound on an entire generation of musicians, both black and white."

Why did you post that?!!
AddEmoticons01515.gif

I was lucky enough that my eyes didn't catch it. You managed to deliver it. :D

I hate when they put Prince in heights, especially in the 80s!

The album should have been number 1, Thriller received 8 grammys, and Thriller sold over
100 million. :doh:

No. Thriller won 7, MJ won 8. He won one for "Someone In the Dark" from E.T.

Anyway - Both Thriller and BAD should have been in top 10.

That's right! Thriller shoud be #1 & Bad #2.
Bad is the only album featuring 5 #1 singles!!!
AddEmoticons12718.gif

Last edited:
It is still the best selling album of all time right? Almost 29 years later and it keeps going. Bad is not on the list at all? This is total bias going on here.

Say what?? I totally didn't catch this. I mean Prince has his mark on pop music in the 80's but Michael was groundbreaking!

I wish Michael would get more credit than what he does get. I was only 6 when Thriller came out but I have heard that the music business was not doing well at the time and Thriller changed that and turned things around. Look how Thriller the video changed everything too. Bad should have some recognition as well. I know this is just one list and it's all based on opinions but still feels like they give him a compliment but don't really mean it.

Rolling Stone is a joke..Their "tribute" Magazine after Michael passed was full of tabloid filth portrayed as truth..So, honestly, they don't want the truth or the reality, even in these lists..They are just trying to create things to appease certain groups of people.

It would be nice if Rolling Stone didn't include Mike's name in their list next time and give that place to another Prince or Bruce Springsteen album because the guys obviously need it.

I'm shocked they didn't put Thriller as #1, and even more so that BAD isn't even included! Janet made the chart too with Control at #28.

Overall, Billboard, Rolling Stones they all neglect MJ, even more so before his death. I'll never get over Billboard ranking MJ at #8 of the All Time top artists, they even put Janet before Mike! I'm a big Janet fan, but WTH!!

No. Thriller won 7, MJ won 8. He won one for "Someone In the Dark" from E.T.

Anyway - Both Thriller and BAD should have been in top 10.

Wrong. Thriller won 8 (Bruce won one too).

Wrong. Thriller won 8 (Bruce won one too).

Ahh. That is true. But yeah. MJ won 7 grammys for Thriller and won 1 for Someone In The Dark.

And Bruce Swedien won one for thriller as sound engineer/producer right?

This is kinda BS, because while I understand how the Minneapolis sound got the ball rolling for r&b and Janet's Control album, I don't hear how it influenced everything else in the 80s. Like, I really don't. I can't hear it. I don't hear it in the techno of the era, the rock, and etc. I don't think it's as prevalent as they are making it out to be. They have really got to be shitting me on that.

As for Rolling Stone, the magazine was formed out of a racial bias which is why I don't even bother with it. They are full of it.

Ahh. That is true. But yeah. MJ won 7 grammys for Thriller and won 1 for Someone In The Dark.

And Bruce Swedien won one for thriller as sound engineer/producer right?

Yep...

To hell with Rolling Stone magazine.....what I can't get past is the 40 million figure? lazy bums could'nt check to even update that figure from the 80's????

Its a good thing I know who is and will always be #1!

Rolling Stone always hated Michael, so that they put him on Nr 7, must mean he is really Nr 1.

Back