Rehearsals, dancing or singing?

Jam was never done live, and he got Laryngitis on the Dangerous Tour, not the History Tour (except a few concerts) The trouble he had on the Dangerous Tour is why he mimed on the History Tour.

The trouble with these discussions is that the facts are never mentioned, or at least not mentioned correctly. I guess it depends on the age of some fans, but I was a teenager in the 90`s and followed MJ just as close as I do now. And I remember well that he had major voice trouble on the Dangerous Tour. To any new fans, or at least anyone who did not experience the 90`s, read a book called "Michael Jackson The Visual Documentary" by Adrian Grant. It is the most detailed and accurate book of facts that exists about MJ. There you will see concert dates from the DT that was cancelled due to ill health, and you can read about how he struggled with the tour.

As you may know he took alot of painkillers to be able to do the concerts, and at the end of the tour, when the allegations came, he had become addicted and had to cancel the tour.

If you read up on Laryngitis, you will learn that this illness is a singers worst nightmare.

It can go as far as the singer losing his or her voice, forever.

Michael faced that dilemma, but chose to carry through and do shows. That payed a heavy price. So naturally he would not make the same mistake twice. I think Michael knows a thing or two about Laryngitis and how he contracts it. It is a fact that how you use your voice plays a factor in Laryngitis. Singers who sing with full power and a high pitched voice, and who does so on tour, can get Laryngitis very easily. Michael even complained about this on the Bad Tour and had to use playback for some songs.

Yes Bad Tour was not all live either. Even on the Victory Tour Michael strained his voice alot, and he mentions this in his book Moonwalk. Michael knows he uses his voice in a different and special way and that he takes a risk singing live.

Sounds weird? Well it is what happened. Why does this not happen to other artists? Actually it does, alot. What is the difference between Michael and other artists? They use their voice in a normal way, Michael ads an extra pitch to his voice wich allows him to sing like that. Michaels original voice is much deeper.

I know this is all very much and complicated, but the point is: Michael is a proffesional and he knows what he is doing. Don`t assume he doesn`t sing because he dances or that he can`t sing as good anymore. Remember Michael started to use playback on tour already in 1988 while still only 30 years old.

Michael played with live vocals on the Brunei concert before the History Tour, but not on the tour itself. Kinda getting the picture are we? lol

from examiner.com (probably only gossip!):

Rehearsals are not going so smoothly for the self-titled "King of Pop." A source has revealed that Mr. Jackson has fallen several times during rehearsals trying to do the dance moves that he used to. "Michael doesn't realize that he is over 50 now and doing the same dance moves that he did in his 20s is going to be very difficult."

One of the mishaps happened as he tried to recreate his famous Billy Jean performance from 1983. Back then, he was able to do the moonwalk very smoothly. This week, he has twisted his ankle twice. "He is substituting a lot of special effects to make up for his fading talents," the source continues. In one particular performance, Mr. Jackson goes through a cloning machine. In another, he disses whom he considers villains, including Madonna and Tom Sneddon, while praising "good people" such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Michael Jackson has scheduled 50 dates so far. Whether he will make it through even half of them remains to be seen.

Michael Jackson is currently rehearsing his performance of Man in the Mirror for his upcoming This Is It concert series. Last week, I told you how the self-titled "King of Pop" plans to clone himself while performing the song Dangerous. Now, I can reveal what will take place during the Man in the Mirror performance.

Michael will be heard repeating "I'm gonna make a change," while 3D holographic images of people Mr. Jackson considers "evil" walk out on stage: Madonna, Hitler, Tom Sneddon (Santa Barbara County D.A.), Tommy Mottola (former head of Sony Records), David Duke, George W. Bush, and some others. They slowly dance as he sings the first verse of the song. Then, Michael presses a button and they all appear to be electrocuted, eventually fading away. They are soon replaced by images of people Mr. Jackson considers saints: Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Elizabeth Taylor, Mahatma Gandhi, and others. These people sing as the "choir."

"Whether or not you agree with who the good guys or bad guys are, the performance is really impressive," the source tells me. "This is also one of the few songs that Michael will sing completely live." The source goes on to tell me that Michael's voice isn't as high as it used to be, but it is still very impressive

Rehearsals are not going so smoothly for the self-titled "King of Pop." A source has revealed that Mr. Jackson has fallen several times during rehearsals trying to do the dance moves that he used to. "Michael doesn't realize that he is over 50 now and doing the same dance moves that he did in his 20s is going to be very difficult."

One of the mishaps happened as he tried to recreate his famous Billy Jean performance from 1983. Back then, he was able to do the moonwalk very smoothly. This week, he has twisted his ankle twice. "He is substituting a lot of special effects to make up for his fading talents," the source continues. In one particular performance, Mr. Jackson goes through a cloning machine. In another, he disses whom he considers villains, including Madonna and Tom Sneddon, while praising "good people" such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Michael Jackson has scheduled 50 dates so far. Whether he will make it through even half of them remains to be seen.

Michael Jackson is currently rehearsing his performance of Man in the Mirror for his upcoming This Is It concert series. Last week, I told you how the self-titled "King of Pop" plans to clone himself while performing the song Dangerous. Now, I can reveal what will take place during the Man in the Mirror performance.

Michael will be heard repeating "I'm gonna make a change," while 3D holographic images of people Mr. Jackson considers "evil" walk out on stage: Madonna, Hitler, Tom Sneddon (Santa Barbara County D.A.), Tommy Mottola (former head of Sony Records), David Duke, George W. Bush, and some others. They slowly dance as he sings the first verse of the song. Then, Michael presses a button and they all appear to be electrocuted, eventually fading away. They are soon replaced by images of people Mr. Jackson considers saints: Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Elizabeth Taylor, Mahatma Gandhi, and others. These people sing as the "choir."

"Whether or not you agree with who the good guys or bad guys are, the performance is really impressive," the source tells me. "This is also one of the few songs that Michael will sing completely live." The source goes on to tell me that Michael's voice isn't as high as it used to be, but it is still very impressive

Bull S**t!

That sounds like complete rubbish, obviously the person who wrote this article has a wild imagination lol.

Whoever wrote that doesn't even know how to spell Billy Jean..... opps I mean Billie Jean... Exactly!!

I'm sure Michaels the kind to list people in his preformences and label them as evil.... NOT!

dancing and the performance as a whole. thats whats important to mj imo i dont expect much live singing

.that article is the biggest load of jealous rubbish. sounds like a frieidman article. whys it even posted here

Whoever wrote that doesn't even know how to spell Billy Jean..... opps I mean Billie Jean... Exactly!!

I'm sure Michaels the kind to list people in his preformences and label them as evil.... NOT!

Daryl D., he writes some crazy 'ish not just about MJ but about other celebs. Another loony gossipmonger using the voices in his head as legitimate sources.

LMAO wow. This is so stupid. Very imaginative and hilarious, but also stupid.

i dreamt he was doing more preparing the other dancers showing them what to do then standing back and watching them do it.
I saw him practise smooth criminal but with very dark lighting so only his shadow was visible and then the next song was dirty diana and he wore a whole black costume with diamonds everywhere.

pretty cool

If James brown could do his footwork in his `70s..

Mike will be able do to his signature moves for sure..

Regarding his voice:

If you look closely at the BAD tour concerts, you`ll notice that halfway the tour his voice became hoarse... he exactly knew which vocals became hard for him, so he put several dancemoves at those moments to divert the attention.

Just look at the BAD tour - WBSS; at several highly pitched vocals he started to kick a lot more ("I sent ___kick___>mytime

Last edited:

This is the funniest crap i've ever heard. Do you know how much trouble MJ would get into. Dixie chicks saw the end of there carrers because of 1 statement. If MJ had people come out dressed like people he hates... It would be the end of him. They would sue his ass to kingdom come

Oh really? :O I never heard that!

We don't know if its in his agreement or not BUT the head of AEG stated in an interview that he would be singing live! So if he doesn't even more reason for people (not us, media and general public) to moan, but not like MJ cares :p

We don't know if its in his agreement or not BUT the head of AEG stated in an interview that he would be singing live!
he also said in another intreview that he wouldnt be aswell lol. maybe the first few shows will be cause thats when they are being reviewed but if there was ever a mj tour where he would mime alot then this is it (pardon the pun lol) a show every other day (with some breaks) 30 concerts all together is hard for any artist

Sorry if this has been posted already :)

These guys were on Justin Timberlakes FSLS Tour.

A female dancer from Justin's tour has been choosen as a replacement. She's the one on the right, isn't she gorgeous lol ?? :)

[img=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1415/062jx2.th.jpg]

Nick choregraphed this video, He's worked with Janet Jackson & Kylie Minogue.

Found some more videos, Nick dancing to Off The Wall & Baby Be Mine.

Last edited:
^^^

I REALLY! like this dude! Those 2 vids (the 1st link didn't work) are really cool. He throws in some sly MJ moves but puts a hip hop twist on them! LOVE IT! :D

^^^

I REALLY! like this dude! Those 2 vids (the 1st link didn't work) are really cool. He throws in some sly MJ moves but puts a hip hop twist on them! LOVE IT! :D

Can you imagine Michael bustin' some of those moves!! lol it would be incredible :)

I'll sort the first link out for ya, one sec..

try now!

Last edited:
Well i saw this post in a forum on MJTUNES

Michael Rehearsing in L.A.

Great news guy's MJ is busy rehearsing in L.A. I have a friend who is out there right now and he is having an amazing time. Michael can be heard singing songs such as Jam,Bad,Smooth Criminal,Dangerous and Billie Jean. even can hear him doing all the Hee Hees and Aooaw's. He was greeted by fans as he left and asked if he would perform Speechless, and said yes he would. I cant wait for this.

Well i saw this post in a forum on MJTUNES

Michael Rehearsing in L.A.

Great news guy's MJ is busy rehearsing in L.A. I have a friend who is out there right now and he is having an amazing time. Michael can be heard singing songs such as Jam,Bad,Smooth Criminal,Dangerous and Billie Jean. even can hear him doing all the Hee Hees and Aooaw's. He was greeted by fans as he left and asked if he would perform Speechless, and said yes he would. I cant wait for this.

If this is true then its completely awesome. Would love to hear MJ sing Speechless live especially if he does the acapella parts at the beginning and the end. I'm kind of surprised to hear that he is doing Jam, I don't know, just didn't expect him to perform that song.

Last edited:
*FAINTS* Jam, OMG!! Speechless??!! Im Gona be like a hysterical teenage girl (and Im 30..and a man!!)

OMG!!!! I was praying that speechless would be performed, i'm praying this is true.

Everyday i get more excited, Everyday gets closer to michael

i must have missed the discussion but has he got a team of dancers already? i have seen one of his rehearsals in Prague and he was mostly focusing on getting everybody working together and dancing :) as for singing live and dancing at the same time i think it's difficult. for anyone

If you want to imagine Michael singing and dancing at the same time all through those concerts it's your choice, but technically it's impossible because if you want to have the best possible shows, you have to focus things that are primary things. When Michael is dancing, the dancing to the best backing tracks with the best visual experience is his primary mission. And it's still him singing background because those are his own studio recordings! Great recordings.

In some slower tempo (some mid-tempo or ballad) songs he can try to sing like he has in the past, but in the up-tempo songs it's kinda unsmart. And if he sings live let's say in 25% of the songs, that's really nice. There are many artists that don't even sing any of their ballads. Maybe because they are just poor singers. Michael isn't, but it's not the same thing to sing while dancing, no matter how great singer you are...

Back