¨Rare¨ Victory Tour Toronto '84 Snippets [Shake Your Body]

lawd, if it's another "personal vhs copy"...

I'm sure a full show is NOT on film, but a nice mastercopy of a jumbo tron show would be just fine.
Looking at the Billie Jean music video again from the tour, it all just looks like it was shot on a nice TAPE based camera.

Though, I wonder how lost some of his best moves on say, Shake Your Body, are lost by jumbo tron stuff.

i LOVE that single camera video of Shake Your Body from the last night in L.A. (by the way, does anyone know if the footage I'm speaking of was simply an isolated camera feed from the jumbo tron cams? I'd imagine it was (the cam that captured the wide shots of the full stage).

With my (our) luck, a lot of that fancy foot work will go unseen because of the jumbo tron angle.

My favorite part from that Shake Your Body vid...

xdz7ts.gif

I mean, LOOK AT THAT MOVE. THAT IS EFFING BALLER. Gliding around like it's nothing.

Looking at the Billie Jean music video again from the tour, it all just looks like it was shot on a nice TAPE based camera.

Disagree. It looks very much like film. But edited on tape.

zgi6.png

o98h.png

It looks in the same fashion as this, which also is film.

vlcsnap2012112423h50m36.png

Maybe a mix of tape and film, then?
The wide stage shots look like any old jumbo-tron angle.

Also, the cam Patrick is holding in the video a few posts back looks like a large TAPE camera.

Robbsaber01;3877263 said:
• Toronto dates seemed unlikely because the only suitable venue, Exhibition Stadium, was booked for Blue Jays games in the summer and Argonauts games in the fall. The huge Victory tour, with its sound system and elaborate staging, required 11 days to set up and break down. Nevertheless, promoters managed to squeeze it in.

11 days to set up and take down sounds VERY inaccurate.

And good grief, Canada should have always been in the plans from day 1!
Totally got the shaft from Bad tour and onward.

Maybe a mix of tape and film, then?
The wide stage shots look like any old jumbo-tron angle.

I don't know. But there are definately lots of handheld angles. And they look like film too.

Will we ever see anymore from Toronto? Like a full show of the Victory tour. Why do they tease us with short clips bring on the full show!

Yes, clips are sort of stupid tease. Either share full or sod off if you are not going to.

i agree rudolf, michael hired patrick kelley to shoot a full concert for a film in 1984, that film still exists, whether its toronto, l.a or anywhere else, we can never know until they release it. its the show i would go for, it was blocked for release by the brother's in 1984 so its the most likely for a blu-ray release if they decide to release one for the anniversary next year.

''The other Jacksons also had grievances with Michael. He turned down a multimillion-dollar offer from a movie producer to film one of the shows that his brothers had accepted, only to have a crew he had hired show up to shoot its own film several nights later (they have subsequently blocked its release).'' confirming that a full show was filmed by michael's film crew.

If you have seen the Chicago special they briefly mention Patrick Kelly and his Involvement with the Filming of the tour. Kelly was responsible for shooting the close ups on stage and the fans. So the camera you see on the stage is a FILM camera shot by either kelly or his team. When they stopped in Chicago Kelly already had 8 miles of film recorded.

If you have seen the Chicago special they briefly mention Patrick Kelly and his Involvement with the Filming of the tour. Kelly was responsible for shooting the close ups on stage and the fans. So the camera you see on the stage is a FILM camera shot by either kelly or his team. When they stopped in Chicago Kelly already had 8 miles of film recorded.

im wondering which was the show michael had filmed for release in 1984 then, couldve been chicago? if the special was on that show?

holy mother of **** i want chicago on blu-ray *.* his vocals are divine *.* extremely hopeful that was the show michael had filmed on 35mm in 1984 *.* also, check film footage direct from kelley's camera at around 12 minutes. and robb, he said 30 miles, by when they reached chicago :)

Last edited:
holy mother of **** i want chicago on blu-ray *.* his vocals are divine *.* extremely hopeful that was the show michael had filmed on 35mm in 1984 *.* also, check film footage direct from kelley's camera at around 12 minutes. and robb, he said 30 miles, by when they reached chicago :)

Thanks I forgot the exact number. What needs to happen now is that we let the estate know that we want the victory tour RELEASED after almost 30 years....

Thanks I forgot the exact number. What needs to happen now is that we let the estate know that we want the victory tour RELEASED after almost 30 years....

the chicago film must be available to them, i hope theyve been working on it, i'll be upset if nothing comes of it, a blu ray is 100 percent possible, hope they make it happen

the chicago film must be available to them, i hope theyve been working on it, i'll be upset if nothing comes of it, a blu ray is 100 percent possible, hope they make it happen

At this point, ANY Victory Tour Show in my opinion should be released. I someday hope the Toronto show will be leaked by some generous fan. But either way, 2014 is the 30th VICTORY TOUR ANNIVERSARY. Thats why I'm pumped for Victory Tour regardless if its released or not. (This is the only time it would make sense to release the tour) We waited YEARS for Bad Tour, we can wait ONE year hopefully for what was the biggest tour of 1984 and the final tour as the Jacksons.

It's too bad he didn't do Canada at ALL on the Bad Tour. Not even Mexico, either.

Yeah it's very disappointing that he didn't perform his solo shows in Canada. Making Canadians starving for Michael to perform, if only he can perform in Toronto for the Bad Tour either at CNE Stadium or Maple Leaf Gardens (as mention in one of my old blogs). But still nice to hear that he performed in Toronto with the brothers.

Last edited:
I am sure this was recorded on film.

But what about the audio? Was is recorded on mutitracks? Chances are that is could be.

Even the 'Triumph' tour was recorded in super high quality audio ('The Jackson's Live' 2LP and later on CD). That was an audio registration compiled from different shows. Each song on that album was from a random show of the tour.

And that was in 1981. I would presume that the Victory Tour was also recorded in the highest quality available; either film or audio, maybe both.

I remember seeing super high quality snippets of the tour sourced from a never released Laser Disc (a medium before the DVD, which was a huge flop. It has the same capabilities as a DVD though). It was about to be released back I the nineties on LD, but it was shelved. I don't know the reason why.

Here is some footage of the never before released LASERDISC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLE0pnSbgzk&feature=plcp

Last edited:
Disagree. It looks very much like film. But edited on tape.

zgi6.png

o98h.png

It looks in the same fashion as this, which also is film.

vlcsnap2012112423h50m36.png

after seeing the chicago family celebration on youtube, i believe that performance of billie jean is from the chicago concert, which i believe is the show that michael hired patrick to film especially for the movie

I am sure this was recorded on film.

But what about the audio? Was is recorded on mutitracks? Chances are that is could be.

Even the 'Triumph' tour was recorded in super high quality audio ('The Jackson's Live' 2LP and later on CD). That was an audio registration compiled from different shows. Each song on that album was from a random show of the tour.

And that was in 1981. I would presume that the Victory Tour was also recorded in the highest quality available; either film or audio, maybe both.

I remember seeing super high quality snippets of the tour sourced from a never released Laser Disc (a medium before the DVD, which was a huge flop. It has the same capabilities as a DVD though). It was about to be released back I the nineties on LD, but it was shelved. I don't know the reason why.

Here is some footage of the never before released LASERDISC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLE0pnSbgzk&feature=plcp

michael hired his own film crew to shoot the (which i believe) chicago concert (from the evidence that is available) for a movie that was planned for release back in 1984 but was subsequently blocked by his brother's so i imagine its recorded on either multitrack or with great film audio, Chicago 1984 (or whichever show it was, but i believe its chicago) on blu ray!!!!! :D

michael hired his own film crew to shoot the (which i believe) chicago concert (from the evidence that is available) for a movie that was planned for release back in 1984 but was subsequently blocked by his brother's so i imagine its recorded on either multitrack or with great film audio, Chicago 1984 (or whichever show it was, but i believe its chicago) on blu ray!!!!! :D

As stated earlier, 30 miles of film were shot before the Chicago show. Other shows were probably recorded on film ( Only snippets or up close shots by Patrick).
As for the "unreleased Laserdisk" I thought it was kansas which may have been an idea for release? As far as I know Toronto show is simply owned by a guy named "Jeff" who bought the tape from an unknown source. I don't think Toronto show was planned for release...

As stated earlier, 30 miles of film were shot before the Chicago show. Other shows were probably recorded on film ( Only snippets or up close shots by Patrick).
As for the "unreleased Laserdisk" I thought it was kansas which may have been an idea for release? As far as I know Toronto show is simply owned by a guy named "Jeff" who bought the tape from an unknown source. I don't think Toronto show was planned for release...

Jeff did not buy it. It was given

From what I was told, several concerts from the 80s tours are in hands of older fans who collected back then

theyll most likely use a source that was planned for release originally and ''restore it'' although they do have the original film reels in the archive, and i think they should use them! its the last time it can be released exclusively like this, it needs a special, and perfect release, and i hope they do it justice, by releasing it in the greatest quality, with the greatest respect :)

All this talk of laser discs and vhs tapes reminds of me of this lolzy episode of Regular Show :D

They desperately need a laser disc player to watch a directors cut copy of a movie they stumbled on.

All this talk of laser discs and vhs tapes reminds of me of this lolzy episode of Regular Show :D

They desperately need a laser disc player to watch a directors cut copy of a movie they stumbled on.

hehe, wow :p well, the victory tour is a lot more reliable for producing film based material so im glad :) but i wish patrick worked just as efficiently on the bad tour though :(

It just donned on me that in order to produce any sort of film based project for Bad Tour, someone would actually have to go through all the material they had, scan it in, and edit together, which is a pretty tedious project in it's own right (regardless if all the footage is from one show or several).

Apparently, they had no time for that...

It just donned on me that in order to produce any sort of film based project for Bad Tour, someone would actually have to go through all the material they had, scan it in, and edit together, which is a pretty tedious project in it's own right (regardless if all the footage is from one show or several).

Apparently, they had no time for that...

it took universal 10 weeks to restore the wizard of oz from the original 1936 technicolor 35mm negatives, including scanning them, restoring the mono audio and mixing various sources of multi channel too, so it is possible for them to do it, but as michael had a show from the victory tour planned for release, itll be a lot easier for them to mix it together! just hope its chicago, for the fact that michael's vocals during heartbreak hotel are so strong, and i believe the billie jean high def footage too is from the chicago concert, also, the end dance during human nature, the way he glides on stage, its magic *.* it would be worth it, for them to work on producing high resolution shows, as it provides the opportunity for more releases, and more profits, for example, cinema releases, blu ray as well as dvd and hd digital download, theyd be spending a lot to make it happen but the profit theyd make, wow! it would be worth it and i hope they spend time and attention on these truly unique gifts in the future

Your talking about an previously edited piece of work. That was pretty easy for them to work with.

Even if there was ONE show they had footage from, it would still be a mess to edit (i mean, not for me. But they probably were like PFFFFT, lets just grab this dumb tape and do something with it. We've seen Visions. We know they put crap out as quickly as possible).

Oh, and as far as cinema release, Victory or Bad tours would be THE ones to release. I really hope HISTORY is never released in theaters, even for a small limited run. That tour was a hot mess and should not get too much attention.
Just throw it on DVD (and blu ray if it's HD) and call it a day.

Your talking about an previously edited piece of work. That was pretty easy for them to work with.

Even if there was ONE show they had footage from, it would still be a mess to edit (i mean, not for me. But they probably were like PFFFFT, lets just grab this dumb tape and do something with it. We've seen Visions. We know they put crap out as quickly as possible).

Oh, and as far as cinema release, Victory or Bad tours would be THE ones to release. I really hope HISTORY is never released in theaters, even for a small limited run. That tour was a hot mess and should not get too much attention.
Just throw it on DVD (and blu ray if it's HD) and call it a day.

The HISTORY tour was an awesome tour. I've been to one of the Amsterdam shows back in 1997.

It was a tremendous experience. Better than anything he did before, music wise and vision wise.

Only drawback is the playback he did. But the show I've been to was awesome. Unlike all the footage I've seen from other cities, where he was tired or something.

In Amsterdam he was on FIRE!

Jeff don't buy his stuff. He has worked for TV and involving MJ before, he has friends etc.

their must be someone who would look through all of the films they have of those two tours to make a perfectly crafted, Blu-Ray/DVD & Cinema Release, the footage IS their, itll probably take a few years, but it can be done, and i hope they make it happen in these next 10 years (2013-2022).

Hey I saw that episode, pretty good too. It does kinda like a reminder of what you guys talking about with the Michael's tours on film and all that.

Back