Paul Anka to release THIS IS IT duet with MJ

mkgenie

Proud Member
51nhjyMofxL._SY300_.jpg

Canadian singer and songwriter Paul Anka will release a new album entitled 'Duets' (Legacy) which features a selection of duets with other artists - some of them alive and some appearing through their previous recordings. Source material runs from new recordings to existing recordings with new vocals and arrangements and previously released tracks from Anka’s 1998 album 'A Body of Work'. Among the veterans featured on the album are Dolly Parton, Gloria Estefan, Willie Nelson, Patti LaBelle, Peter Cetera, Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra - and also Michael Jackson.

The duet with Michael is 'This Is It' and will be featuring new vocals and/or arrangements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

1 Walk A Fine Line – with George Benson and Michael McDonald (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
2 Find My Way Back To Your Heart - sung by Paul Anka , background vocal by Tita Hutchison (New recording)
3 Do I Love You (Yes, In Every Way) - with Dolly Parton (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
4 This Is It - with Michael Jackson (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
5 I Really Miss You - with Leon Russell (New recording)
6 Think I’m In Love Again - with Gloria Estefan (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
7 Pennies From Heaven - with Michael Buble (New recording)
8 Crazy - with Willie Nelson (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
9 You Are My Destiny - with Patti LaBelle (Previously on A Body of Work)
10 Les Filles de Paris - with Chris Botti (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)
11 It’s Hard To Say Goodbye - with Celine Dion (Previously on A Body of Work)
12 She’s A Lady - with Tom Jones (Previously on A Body of Work)
13 Hold Me ‘Til the Morning Comes - with Peter Cetera (Previously on A Body of Work)
14 My Way - with Frank Sinatra (New version featuring new vocals and/or arrangement)

Don't want to sound like I'm pissing off, but it's kinda silly how Paul claimed MJ stole tapes when the vocals on the movie-released soundtrack are clearly different from the ones Paul has. Paul has at least 2 different vocal takes of MJ (one played on The View the other he sang live with).

Either way I'm looking forward to hearing this duet. The funniest part of the live version Paul performed is that MJ sounds like he's singing "and you said that you don't want me ___cking 'round" LOL

Just hoping (not going to happen I know) that there could be just a release of the single version. Really don't want to be buying a whole album for one song I want.

That is good news, hope that Will I Am sometime will follow and all others worked with him in the past and keep those unreleased gems in their drawers.

I loved the live version Paul did. I never liked the version from This Is It particularly.

Looking forward to this.

Lokking forward to this too. Mark april 9th on your Calenders. Im buying the album for MJ and Sintara.

This is great. I love the idea of releasing the duet. Paul Anka should have finished the song in the first place. I'm not a fan of John McClain (or anybody else) finishing the songs they haven't worked on while MJ was alive.

Just pre-ordered it!

... from 4:20.... :clap:

BUT here.... talking about I Never Heard (1983), the original title of TII!, and about recording Thriller album and legal probs.... with INH....

Last edited:
Oh well I will keep the TII one which only has Michael's voice, and pass up on this one. I have never been into duets, unless both artists are among my favorites, & I can't place Anka in that category.

I wonder why Anka doesn't release "It Don't Matter To Me", which is another MJ-Anka collaboration. But I'm enough of releasing this duet, to see what would've really been This Is It.

i know Paul has a history of great songs and duets with great artists. the one with Peter is great. Right now, nothing can top Michael's solo version, but i'm willing to listen to the duet. Great songwriting and performing, controversy aside..and nothing can mess up the fact that Michael's talent can't be doused by controversy involving other artists, or anybody else.

I really want to hear that rough cut version in full with all the overlaying adlibs. He also does the "adadununun" at the end of that snippet as well. Overall very similar to Love Never Felt So Good.

I am looking forward to hear the new vocals, but I doubt very much that this will be better than the MJ solo version already released!

Ok this just doesn't make sense first he sues claiming mj stole the song then he uses the song on a new album......righhht :crazy:

^^^ Paul Anka didnt sue anyone. he didnt have to. The Estate recognized their mistake. It was resolved quickly.
He owns rights to the song so he should be able to release it as a duet on his own album. It will also give MJ more
exposure to a different audience and more money to the estate (royalties) It's all good. IMO

Will a lot of people buy his album? Does anyone know if he is a current artist?

^^^ Paul Anka didnt sue anyone. he didnt have to. The Estate recognized their mistake. It was resolved quickly.
He owns rights to the song so he should be able to release it as a duet on his own album. It will also give MJ more
exposure to a different audience and more money to the estate (royalties) It's all good. IMO

Oh ok i thought he had indeed sued
thanks qbee

originally the song was written by MJ and Paul Anka and given to Sa-Fire to perform, but the music and text were definitely different from the present version, MJ altered the music and the text, he left something, but put many new things into it as well, he wrote this song as well and decided to alter it to the better. I don't know if it was right from Paul Anka in this case to demand royalties for this song or to claim it was an old song as this song was made new by MJ and different from the previous version both in music and text. To compare look here:

Lyrics and music performance by Sa-fire of "I never heard":
http://www.lyrics.com/i-never-heard-lyrics-safire.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCV1h40oS0o

I guess the duet Paul Anka is going to release would be the one shown in video on the first page - he took a present version of "This is it" written only by MJ, with the present text and music, and put his vocals to it, then it is not really a life duet, but post-mortum.

But if it will be the duet with an old text and an old music then it's great, because I find putting his vocals to a new version of "this is it" is not right.

Last edited:
Even if MJ did change up the song, it is still right for paul Anka to claim his rights to the song. Because you cant just take song and rework it claim it as your own and not give credit to the original authors. That would be copyright infringement. It was the Estate that rearranged the song they found and added more instrumentals before releasing it. We know MJ was sued several time just because a song was even somewhat similar to his and he had to prove in court it was his. This song was a collaboration between MJ and Paul Anka so its right both get credit. The music and melody are also part of the song, not just the lyrics... Paul Anka didn't do anything wrong here. The Estate acknowledged it was their mistake .. Not Paul's. The song was released in both their names and all were satisfied. Paul will give Michael credit on his release as well.

maybe you are right, I guess this song was for fun and never intended to be revealed if MJ didn't die and somebody wouldn't find it, or else if he really intended to release it he would inform Paul Anka or wouldn't take an old song and remake it, but would have written a completely new song.

Paul should get credit for the song. It was just the way he dealt with it that rubs people the wrong way.

I agree he was arrogant , but he changed his tune quickly. (once the estate acknowledged the error) I suppose he had a right to be like... wtf ... but he mellowed and seen it was all to his advantage $$$ that the song came out and then began promoting the song for the Estate. He isn't known to have the nicest personality anyway.

Michael had every right to take a tape and put it in a safe, and rework the song or whatever. It was a co venture. After all, Paul had a right to take his version to the girl he took it to. Neither had to ask the other's permission. Michael never got bent out of shape about anything. The only thing required was that both get royalties from whatever the outcome of the project was.

Michael had every right to take a tape and put it in a safe, and rework the song or whatever. It was a co venture. After all, Paul had a right to take his version to the girl he took it to. Neither had to ask the other's permission. Michael never got bent out of shape about anything. The only thing required was that both get royalties from whatever the outcome of the project was.

No it doesn't work that way. It was Paul's studio and he invited MJ to come colaborate with him. The tapes belonged to Paul. Turn it around.. If someone was working on songs with Michael that wouldn't give them the right to take his tapes out of the studio either without his permission. Michael returned the tapes but seems he kept a copy for himself. So that's why we are able to hear the song today :) He wouldn't/couldn't have released it anyway without Paul. Luckily the Estate didn't know that or we would have never heard it.

NOTE: If anyone wants to discuss Paul Anka's book, outside the scope and topic of this thread, we have have moved that discussion to the controversy forum so that we can keep this thread on topic of the song and duet. Paul Anka Trashes Michael in his Book

Without discussing it in here off topic of the song ...
I will say because of Paul's book I certainly wont be purchasing his duet.

Back