Origins of the Moonwalk

LMAO!

You know, I wanna know if there's a Soul Train video of Jeffrey Daniels and his group doing the back slide and maybe an early variation of what did become "the moonwalk" as Michael perfected in 1984. That's when he first did it during the "Victory" tour. :)

feck white, black, and all people. the manakin deserves its damn recognition here. if nature was ever a testament to history..

and Tim man stop putting the moonwalk in quotation marks you smart arse lol you know that's what you been calling it all your life
f_laugh.gif

lmao, I see this on sooo many animal shows its unreal, lol. I think we know who done it first then.

^ Oh lord. Those birds look like they're made out of Play-Doh.

EDIT: I just corrected one person who called it the moonwalk. I'm on a roll.

Rolls are good. For once I agree with you, the backslide does suck.

OK, maybe this can relate but Michael and his brothers did an early form of pop-locking here with "Dancing Machine", I know Michael learned it while on Soul Train and then he did it himself here in 1973:

Maybe it's not really related but this is the first time I've seen it and it's about time too. :lol:

Rolls are good. For once I agree with you, the backslide does suck.

As ArXter said, the most overrated dance move of all time.

Wasn't Michael so damn genius with that "moonwalk" at 5:14 and the robot around two minutes into my latest posting. :lol:

Now I like some of y'all to say "oh but... uh... hey..." LOL

OK, maybe this can relate but Michael and his brothers did an early form of pop-locking here with "Dancing Machine", I know Michael learned it while on Soul Train and then he did it himself here in 1973:

Maybe it's not really related but this is the first time I've seen it and it's about time too. :lol:

Michael tore the robot up there. That's the first time you've seen that? Dang, lol. Michael just killed it. All those street dances you see are laregely derived from pantomime and tap. The robot is more pantomime then anything. What Michael does on the MTV VMA's in 95 is a mix of pantomime and popping. Popping the joints while walking forward.

By the way Timmy, some b-boys and poppers and lockers would be mad as hell at you for calling it "pop-locking". There's no such thing my man, popping and locking are two different forms of movement, lol. Michael does more locking then popping, generally.

Nikki, see this is why I like you, you always have to denounce some of my words. There is such a thing as "pop-locking" and "break-dancing", lol. :lol:

mjj_brainiac should know. ^_^

No there ain't, lol. Some dancers mix both forms of movement, they pop and they lock, but the term "pop-locking" isn't a real term, lol. Some of those folks get real mad about it. Break dancing is more like those athletic things you see. I don't even call that dancing, lol. Of course, I don't really call popping dancing either, but that's another discussion.

Yeah, shes right. Michael never really uses locking though. You might see a bit in Dangerous, during Jam, or Working Day and Night.

Clearly only Marlon kept up, poor Tito, lol.

Edit: BTW, popping is of the muscles, not the joints ;)

ANYWAY, moving on...

My whole point in this thread was to prove, and I believe I have (thanks, browneyedgirl) that Michael's dancing was not only inspired by mimes, Fred Astaire and James Brown but that in all essence Michael is the mixture of the old-time hoofer, the new-school breakdancer and the modern day mime. You don't get much better than THAT.

Michael used to lock a lot back in the day though, and he still uses a lot of elements of it in his dancing today, like the finger pointing, touching his feet, etc...

And yeah Timmy, Michael's dancing is variety ridden, lol. He's the most versatile dancer I've ever seen.

Yeah, shes right. Michael never really uses locking though. You might see a bit in Dangerous, during Jam, or Working Day and Night.

Clearly only Marlon kept up, poor Tito, lol.

Edit: BTW, popping is of the muscles, not the joints ;)

AH! That's what I'm talking about! ^_^ Dom's a fool! :lol:

This is the earliest clip I know of with links to B-Boying.

But its not B-boying. It started with the Zulu Kings, who were encouraged by Afrika Bambaataa to settle fights with dance battles instead of beating the crap out of each other or whatever. At about the same time James Browns Good Foot came out and the dancers imitated it. Later moves were added from capoeira, Lindy hop and the charleston as well as other western African influences and acrobatics.

B-boying is a one of the elements of hip-hop. The dance style simply evolved. In reality you can always trace things back to somewhere else, that doesn't stop them from being what they are.

People might want to disregard EB for the influence on dance or whatever, but if they weren't there then we wouldn't have what we have.

As usual I forget here I'm going with this.

Break dancing was probably another name to disguise the dancing that some of the O.G.'s in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s were doing.

Back