New Album Sales - Where Does MJ Fit In? (2008 Examples)

Eminem is going to release his 6th studio album this spring. Its called 'Relapse'.

Does anyone think that might hurt MJ's chances at having the best selling album of the year?

No way dude, that album is getting bad reviews everywhere.

Michael's new album will sell between 10-30 mil copies. No doubt

I am very sure that the sales will be far beyond the average sales at the moment and that MJ will top them all. It will be a success and a present record BUT nobody will care because the industry measures MJ's sales differently to anyone elses sales....... MJ has set unbreakable records so whatever the data of his sales will be, it will be rated as a flop even if it is not true BUT we have to be above such things MJ will prove once again that he is THE man in the business with all his qualities and skills!!!

Michael's new album will sell between 10-30 mil copies. No doubt

Yes it will, if there will be a new album ofcourse:)

Every fan on the planet wants to have an original album, I don't see anyone of us would download a new album from Michael Jackson.
He has millions of fans, it would asumebly bring the counts on 10 millions.
If Mr Jackson would tour the whole world and make commercials and make new videos (yes please) It could be more than 10 million.

People quoting on here saying MJ will only sell 3-4 million are crazy, I mean these kind of negative people also said MJ could no longer sell out wembley stadium with a capacity of 90,000 - well guess what he sold out over a million tickets in just a few hours enough to fill wembley at least 10 times!!!! He has such power and worldwide fame its unbelievable and he should never be under estimated.

If amy winehouse can sell 11 million, you would be a fool to say the legend Michael Jackson cant top that figure!!!!!

People quoting on here saying MJ will only sell 3-4 million are crazy, I mean these kind of negative people also said MJ could no longer sell out wembley stadium with a capacity of 90,000 - well guess what he sold out over a million tickets in just a few hours enough to fill wembley at least 10 times!!!! He has such power and worldwide fame its unbelievable and he should never be under estimated.

If amy winehouse can sell 11 million, you would be a fool to say the legend Michael Jackson cant top that figure!!!!!

yes, exactly, i got tired of arguing with them, cause they thought i was the crazy one

Honestly, I couldn't really care less about album sales anyways, I just hope the music is good because he's got an audience, whether he sells 5 million albums or 20 million albums.

Eminem is going to release his 6th studio album this spring. Its called 'Relapse'.

Does anyone think that might hurt MJ's chances at having the best selling album of the year?
id wait for mj to actually put out somethng b4 worrying about that. mj has the largest fanbase of any artist. someone who can sell over 10 mill of an album (vince) even though what happened to it via mottola. the suposed big artists of today are lucky to sell that amount with a full on promo campaign and releases and tours ect let alone the album lifespan lasting all of 2 months like what happened with vince. so going by that u are looking at 15 upto 20 million plus easily with a proper release of old like all his other releases. you then can look at the sales figures of albums such as ones and thriller 25 to see what market there is for him

...someone who can sell over 10 mill of an album (vince) even though what happened to it via mottola. the suposed big artists of today are lucky to sell that amount with a full on promo campaign and releases and tours ect let alone the album lifespan lasting all of 2 months like what happened with vince. so going by that u are looking at 15 upto 20 million plus easily with a proper release of old like all his other releases. you then can look at the sales figures of albums such as ones and thriller 25 to see what market there is for him

Why is it that people here can't differentiate between the past and present?
In the past, albums on average sold more copies than they do now and it was much easier to sell 10million then than it is now. Mike selling 10million in 2001 was not a spectacular feat because it wasn't particularly unusual. Now it would be incredibly unlikely for anybody to sell 10million copies in a year, purely because albums just don't sell that many on average. 10million sales in 2001 is possibly the equivalent of selling about 4 - 5 million now, so please stop using sales of Invinible to justify that he could sell 10million albums now. Just look at annual sales figures of the best selling albums of the last few years and you'll see that what I'm saying is true. You're only going to be disappointed when the album sells 4 or 5 million, which actually is fairly successful in todays market. Don't expect 10million!!

BTW, T25 sold less than 3million copies worldwide. Number ones has also sold well under 10million in the 5 / 6 years since release, so I don't see how you justify 15 - 20 million.

BTW, T25 sold less than 3million copies worldwide. Number ones has also sold well under 10million in the 5 / 6 years since release, so I don't see how you justify 15 - 20 million.
Pretty good for re-releases/compilation albums...
And if an album of new material was to be released, I think 15-20 million is pretty well justified. I mean, I'm sure that just about every single MJ fan will be buying it...

In the past, albums on average sold more copies than they do now and it was much easier to sell 10million then than it is now. Mike selling 10million in 2001 was not a spectacular feat because it wasn't particularly unusual. Now it would be incredibly unlikely for anybody to sell 10million copies in a year, purely because albums just don't sell that many on average. 10million sales in 2001 is possibly the equivalent of selling about 4 - 5 million now, so please stop using sales of Invinible to justify that he could sell 10million albums now. Just look at annual sales figures of the best selling albums of the last few years and you'll see that what I'm saying is true. You're only going to be disappointed when the album sells 4 or 5 million, which actually is fairly successful in todays market. Don't expect 10million!!

I agree

Just go on a recently posted billboard report. Sales are declining approximately over 10% each year.

Of course MJ is massive and with the right promotion he could sell alot. Some of you guys need to be logical, MJ will not sell 30 million cds worldwide

30 million probably is an unlikely figure now, even for MJ. But there is no reason why, with maximum exposure and full blown promo that MJ could not hit 15 million-20million.
He might find new ways to sell his music, he may sell it through itunes etc, which would give him millions in sales.

I agree. The new album will sell at the least 4 million, and tops maybe 7-8 million in a year. If it is really good.

But Invincible sold 5.4 million in 2001, it sold well over the years and is not at 12 million.

And Number Ones sold 7 million as of 2009, and Thriller: 25 is now just at 3 million.

Yes! Agree wit u!

Back