New Album Sales - Where Does MJ Fit In? (2008 Examples)

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Here is a thread that Damien made on MaximumJackson and its not on here. So I thought I should give the members on MJJComunity a chance to discuses this matter.

So, I am making a thread on the estimated sales of Michael's upcoming album. In this first post I will give examples of other major artists who have released material last year, stating how long that material has been out and how many copies they have sold at a cretin amount of weeks. The sales are approximate and are worldwide statistics from a reputable source. My question will be: In comparison to the rest of his competition, where does Michael Jackson sit?

Janet Jackson - Discipline
Our for: 31 weeks
Sales: 600,000

Michael Jackson - Thriller 25
Out for: 33 weeks
Sales: 2.3 million

Mariah Carey - E=MC2
Out for: 24 weeks
Sales: 1.9 million

Madonna - Hardy Candy
Out for: 29 weeks
Sales: 3.2 million

Usher - Here I Stand
Out for: 18 weeks
Sales: 1.8 million

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Out for: 16 weeks
Sales: 2.8 million

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Out for: 15 weeks
Sales: 5.6 million

Metalica - Death Magnetic
Out for: 4 weeks
Sales: 2.3 million

So thats just an example of some of the artists last year and how much they have sold in a cretin time frame. NOTE. These figures are old and dated and only go up to October 10th, 2008. Year end results are a lot higher.

Coldplay: 5.6m
Madonna: 3.2m
Lil Wayne: 2.8m
Metalica: 2.3m
Michael Jackson: 2.3m
Mariah Carey: 1.9m
Usher: 1.8m
Janet: 0.6m

So in regards to these examples, including a release from Michael himself, where do you see his potential album sales sitting?

DISCUSS:)

http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=5265

MJs new album will have sales between 10-15 millions.

Michael's new album depending on how well it is received could sell anywhere between 5-15 million copies maybe more if its a runaway smash.

MJs new album will have sales between 10-15 millions.

I think so too.

Hope it will be promoted GREAT and MASSIVE this time. Not like Vince.

With 6-7 singles and great promotion it could sell 15-20 millions..

5-15 million in a year at most.

As far as ranking, he'll be near the top. A lot of big names have released their new albums already, or will before Michael does, so he'll have an advantage.

6 million max, but more likely 3 - 4 million, which puts it in line with Hard Candy. Let's not forget Mike is in the same category as Madonna, Prince, George Michael etc. It's unrealistic to expect his album to compete with the biggest selling contempory albums IMO.
For example, Coldplay's album was massive worldwide and I don't see Mike's new album beating them. NOBODY is going to sell anywhere near 15 million of any album, so that's totally unrealistic.

6 million max, but more likely 3 - 4 million, which puts it in line with Hard Candy. Let's not forget Mike is in the same category as Madonna, Prince, George Michael etc. It's unrealistic to expect his album to compete with the biggest selling contempory albums IMO.
For example, Coldplay's album was massive worldwide and I don't see Mike's new album beating them. NOBODY is going to sell anywhere near 15 million of any album, so that's totally unrealistic.
'
im not one of those "anything can happen because its MJ" fans, but i think he could sell as much as coldplay in the US and more worldwide.

but what new album are we talking about? all new material? that might not be for 2 years, and 2 years from now CD sales will probably be a lot lower then they already are.

Last edited:
A new album? We've been given hardly any indication of a new album coming out. The only thing we can go on is Randy's one famous quote about a single. Other than that, zero. I'm hoping for the best, but at this stage I can't see anything coming out.

You guys have such little faith.

MJ is bigger than all the above mentioned, Madonna/Coldplay etc. If all goes right MJ could sell 20 million + again. Look at Invincible, it sold 10 million from only 1 single!
A Michael has kept the world waiting for so long that when he comes out with something it will sell like hot cakes. Look at how well the concerts sold....he is still VERY popular.

There were two singles from Vince, actually. Cry was also released in many countries.

If Michael knew how little faith the fans have in him he wouldn't be giving any concerts...shame on us all for demanding and not believing!

MJ is bigger than all the above mentioned, Madonna/Coldplay etc. If all goes right MJ could sell 20 million + again. Look at Invincible, it sold 10 million from only 1 single!
A Michael has kept the world waiting for so long that when he comes out with something it will sell like hot cakes. Look at how well the concerts sold....he is still VERY popular.

There is no chance he (or anybody else) will sell 20million+.
If you really believe that then you don't know anything about current sales figures because nobody is even coming close to those figures.

Michael Jackson is a legendary artist, something very few artists will ever achieve, but he is not the saviour of music and not even he can do anything about the poor sales figures that we see these days. In todays music market, Michael Jackson is not bigger than Madonna or Coldplay, he is non-existent. They release albums, promote tour but Mike has done nothing for 7-8 years and is not considered relevant at this point. If Mike makes a success of the 'This Is It' concerts and releases some good new music to coincide with them, and if that music is successful on the charts then we might see Michael Jackson being seen as a 'contender' once again, but at this moment most non-MJ fans see him as effectively retired long ago.

Sales wise, everything is relative to the current market and if Mike manages to sell 4 - 5 million copies wordwide then that is a very successful result for him and nothing to be upset about - the record company would certainly be jumping for joy because so few people can achieve that now. He would need to promote the album with commercial, radio friendly singles, appearances, and interviews to make this happen, so I can't see that happening when 'This Is It' has begun. It's a shame because this would be the perfect time to resurrect his career and perhaps the last great oppurtunity to do it - there hasn't been so much positivity or interest surrounding Michael Jackson the artist in a decade. Please don't have unrealistic expectations about his future sales figures / success because you're just going to be disappointed.

I'm with you on this one...there are a million and something tickets being sold for This Is It in London alone. There is huge interest in Michael and his 'comeback'. People would go mad for an MJ album if it was done in the right way and the music was bangin which it will be! By that I mean a feel good tune that people can just enjoy.
I'm actually shocked that people here are saying 3mill...:bugeyed
I'm not claiming Michael is a saviour to music or anything but think about it...if anyone can sell a LOT of records these days, it's Michael. Just think of the interest people have in him! Fans and non fans alike. The likes of Madonna don't really reach out to that many people imo. I'm 21 and I can't think of anyone I know of my age and around my age that care for her music. Michael on the other hand, people talk about him and wanna hear his music whether they like him or not. :yes:

:doh:Shame on those ppl who compared Michael to Madonna/Prince.Coldplay's new album was good and it deserved to have good sales figures but there is one thing that we often forget,we are talking about MICHAEL JACKSON and he has always done things which people thought could never be done:cheeky:.If Michael wants it he can achieve it,now I am not saying that if he want he can surprass Thriller cuz that will be totally unrealistic thing to do.When it comes to MJ the promotion is so big,even if people dont like his music they will buy his record plus his presence makes everything magical.Nobody is magical and yeah Madonna/Prince shud be releasing all the stuff they got before MJ comes out with album..haha cuz after that they might not even get 1 person in their concerts:cheeky:.

If Mike releases any new album he would make some record again,we all know history repeats itself.If T25 can sell like 3 million then new album will sell 5 times better cuz promotion will be bigger with so much anticipation in music industry and in this whole wide world for Michael's new record.It will be much more than a hot chocolate:cheeky:.

:doh:Shame on those ppl who compared Michael to Madonna/Prince.Coldplay's new album was good and it deserved to have good sales figures but there is one thing that we often forget,we are talking about MICHAEL JACKSON and he has always done things which people thought could never be done:cheeky:.If Michael wants it he can achieve it,now I am not saying that if he want he can surprass Thriller cuz that will be totally unrealistic thing to do.When it comes to MJ the promotion is so big,even if people dont like his music they will buy his record plus his presence makes everything magical.Nobody is magical and yeah Madonna/Prince shud be releasing all the stuff they got before MJ comes out with album..haha cuz after that they might not even get 1 person in their concerts:cheeky:.

If Mike releases any new album he would make some record again,we all know history repeats itself.If T25 can sell like 3 million then new album will sell 5 times better cuz promotion will be bigger with so much anticipation in music industry and in this whole wide world for Michael's new record.It will be much more than a hot chocolate:cheeky:.
:clapping::punk::cheers:

I do remember that this is Michael Jackson we're talking about, but it's not the 80s any more and he's not guaranteed the best selling album of the year (worldwide) at all.
Let's be realistic.
Thriller 25 was the 16th best selling album worldwide last year. It sold so well because it's an iconic album and it's success surprised a lot of people. If they had done a good job of remixing the singles it could have sold so much better, like Elvis Presley singles remixed releases did a few years ago. They didn't so the singles were pretty much ignored by the mainstream.
The top 5 best selling album last year sold just over 6 million copies, and the 5th best selling sold less than 4.5million copies.
Considering past worldwide chart performances (i.e. mikes position in the worldwide year-end charts) and the sales figures from the top 10 albums last year, how can anybody expect Mike to sell any more than 6 million? But, optimism is a good thing I suppose. Maybe I've just become too jaded in my old(ish) age.

wow, if now old almum as Thriller was sold out in circulation like this, I imagine what will be when he brings out new material

i'll repeat myself.....what new album? people have been saying "this year a new album will be out" since 2002. how is this year any different? especially since sony just announced ANOTHER greatest hits album? it absolutely boggles my mind that they have not announced a new album or at least released a single. the only thing i can think of, is that they are waiting for the shows in london to create a lot of buzz, THEN release an album. but if the 50 shows in london come and go with no new material, i would call that a massive failure on sony/mj's side.

I can't see Michael and Sony not taking this tour opportunity to release his new album. That would not make any sense. Randy has already stated that there will be a new single debuted on the tour. He said there is a reason he is Michael Jackson. I believe him. And I believe that Michael and Sony have already decided how they are gonna drop this thing on us. I believe they are expecting buzz to be created by the tours. Once that happens, my guess is that the first single will be released sometime this fall near the time when Michael is on break and he will probably make some appearances at that time. Then we will see the album this fall. This is my guess.

I don't doubt that Michael will sell at least 3 mil in the US and at least 10 mil wordwide. But if this album is promoted properly with appearances, a US tour and massive radio play, it will have the potential to do 5 mil US and 15 mil worldwide.

There is no chance he (or anybody else) will sell 20million+.
If you really believe that then you don't know anything about current sales figures because nobody is even coming close to those figures.

Michael Jackson is a legendary artist, something very few artists will ever achieve, but he is not the saviour of music and not even he can do anything about the poor sales figures that we see these days. In todays music market, Michael Jackson is not bigger than Madonna or Coldplay, he is non-existent. They release albums, promote tour but Mike has done nothing for 7-8 years and is not considered relevant at this point. If Mike makes a success of the 'This Is It' concerts and releases some good new music to coincide with them, and if that music is successful on the charts then we might see Michael Jackson being seen as a 'contender' once again, but at this moment most non-MJ fans see him as effectively retired long ago.

Sales wise, everything is relative to the current market and if Mike manages to sell 4 - 5 million copies wordwide then that is a very successful result for him and nothing to be upset about - the record company would certainly be jumping for joy because so few people can achieve that now. He would need to promote the album with commercial, radio friendly singles, appearances, and interviews to make this happen, so I can't see that happening when 'This Is It' has begun. It's a shame because this would be the perfect time to resurrect his career and perhaps the last great oppurtunity to do it - there hasn't been so much positivity or interest surrounding Michael Jackson the artist in a decade. Please don't have unrealistic expectations about his future sales figures / success because you're just going to be disappointed.

Im sorry, but this is insanely negative, and exagerated in the opposite way. for starters mike is WAY ahead of madonna and coldplay, he has so much power you wouldnt believe. he is the most famous man in the world, or one of them. i dont have time, but trust me, mike could easily pass 10million. EASILY, and yes i am aware of the record industry today. we as fans feel personaly involved, think back to before you were a proper fan, the name was just legend, there was a mystery surrounding him and he still has that, he will sell like hell, im telling you. If you think mike cant make a better album than coldplay or madonna, then youll be in for a shock

quote]

Not really, Invincible sold 10 million..

I think MJ's new album at the very lowest will sell 4 million. I mean he sold 3 million with a re-issue.

The tops would be 10 million. And thats pushing it VERY far. A more realistic number would be 6-7 million.

I said 10 million because Amy Whinhouse did 11 million with her album a few years ago. So if she can do it, MJ probably can.

But if he promotes this album like HIStory, I see the sales being around 10 million.

Because HIStory was the most expensive marketing campaign in history.

I think he can sell 6 or 7 million max. People saying Michael can sell 15 or 20 million are simply not being realistic. The days of artists selling like that are over thanks to the internet and illegal downloading. I believe Michael's next album will sell at least 3 million and that would be good actually considering today's market. No one is really selling in the double digits anymore. What Michael has going for him is his iconic status and great catalogue. He has a sizeable fanbase and people who are still interested in hearing new music from him as well. I think he can still sell well, just not 10,15 or 20 million. I'm not expecting him to sell that much nor am I expecting any other artist to sell that much so it's actually not fair to expect Michael to sell that much given the current environment in the music industry. If he sold at least 3 or 4 million+ though that would be very good considering how the music biz is today.

Back