Ne-Yo covered Lady in My Life for his new album

Shaneymp

Proud Member
Ne-Yo Year Of The Gentleman Track Listing Surfaces Online

Published Friday, 11th July, 2008 at 2:31 PM

The tracklisting for Ne-Yo's third studio album 'Year Of The Gentleman' has surfaced online (via record shops like HMV) and we can now reveal the song names.

Joining the recent hit single 'Closer' are twelve more tracks, including the previously rumoured 'Stop This World' and 'So U Can Cry'. Def Jam release it on August 4th (UK / August 5th (US).

(continues below)

Ne-Yo Year Of The Gentleman Tracklisting

Producers on the record are said to include Stargate, Chuck Harmony, Timbaland, The Underdogs, Kanye West, The Heavyweights, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Shea Taylor, Neff-U, J. R. Rotem and Teddy Riley, although that list hasn't been confirmed.

Year Of The Gentleman Track Listing:

1. Closer
2. Used To You
3. Trouble
4. Stop This World
5. Lets Just Be
6. Don't Fall In Love
7. So U Can Cry
8. Together
9. Lady In My Life
10. Jealous
11. Nobody
12. Licking My Fingers
13. Why Does She Stay

http://angryape.com/news/2008/07/11/ne-yo-year-of-the-gentleman-track-listing-surfaces-online

Oh great, I bet all the little teens and people in their early 20's who don't know any better, will think it's Ne-Yo's song and probably fawn over how great it is. Some things should be left alone and I think "Lady In My Life" is one of those songs. The original can't be topped so why even bother?

Ne-Yo can try, but the way Michael sang it is impossible to come near. His timing, his phrasing, and the quality of his voice is unmatched, and Ne-Yo is basically just running the risk of sounding like an AI reject by taking it on. His voice isn't good enough to sing that song and do it justice, not after Michal made it what it is. He sounded lame in his live performance of it and this won't be any better.

When I heard Ne-Yo cover this song at some BET awards ceremony, I actually thought it was really good. The arrangement was really good. If he makes the album version similar to that, which was a little more upbeat and jazzy, I think he could be quite good. I also really dig his song "Nobody" which has an MJ feel to it. I never was a big fan of Ne-Yo but I actually plan on buying my first Ne-Yo cd when this comes out.

I heard the song "Stop This World".. and omfg it's such a good and sad song. :(:wub:
About the Lady In My Life song.. I thought he did a good job performing it back at the BET thing too. If the song is going to be on his album, well, someone had to give him permission, Michael himself. So I guess he does not mind. :)

But of course the original.. is better. lol :lol:

I think Ne-Yo did a wonderful job at the BET awards. Was much, much better then what i expected. Can't wait to hear this..

Eh, this doesn't bother me. He's a good songwriter and out of the current crop of talent, he's by far the lesser of the evils. I thought he did a great job on the song when he performed it live, and not every track has to match the original. After all, don't we get tired of hearing every one of MJ's albums compared to "Thriller"?

I don't care if a cover outshines the original, I just like for it to be a good cover. If it is as good or perhaps better than the cover, then great, if not... I just hope it's a worthy compliment.

And people are always raving over how people sample/cover MJ's songs... it's better they keep his music alive and possibly open it up to a new generation than just ignore it and let it die.

I personally enjoy cover versions and if it's anything like the version he did live, I look foward to it.

Well, I guess my problem with it is I just don't see the point. Why would I want to listen to someone who's voice isn't even a fraction as good as Michael's sing one of his songs when I can just go listen to Michael sing it?

When a vocalist does a cover of another song, I can only understand it if said vocalist has a world class voice, in which case you're paying to hear that voice, on any sort of material. Ne-Yo is a talented song writer, and he's got a good enough voice to sing his own songs and I don't mind hearing his voice on his own work. But you don't buy a Ne-Yo album to hear him sing, you buy it because his songs are catchy as hell. He doesn't have a standards or cover quality voice. If a singer is going to sing a song which has already been done, I only want to hear it if that singer is going to bring something special to the recording, or somehow make it memorable vocally, and Ne-Yo isn't able to do that, especially since the original is so flawless. I just don't see the point I guess. Instead of wasting that space covering a song with an at best passable voice, he should fill it with a song he wrote.

Last edited:
I don,t think anyone should touch Lady in my life. I wonder if Michael is going along with it or if he even knows about it.

Eh, this doesn't bother me. He's a good songwriter and out of the current crop of talent, he's by far the lesser of the evils. I thought he did a great job on the song when he performed it live, and not every track has to match the original. After all, don't we get tired of hearing every one of MJ's albums compared to "Thriller"?

--

I personally enjoy cover versions and if it's anything like the version he did live, I look foward to it.
co-sign.
blank.gif

he did good on the bet special.....but i dnt think he shudda done this lol

Covering a song from 'Thriller' will always be a bad idea unless you are known to have supertalents.. I would only let a few people near the 'Thriller' album, and most of them have already passed away.. bring me Stevie Wonder, he can have a go.

think Ne-Yo did a wonderful job at the BET awards. Was much, much better then what i expected. Can't wait to hear this..

yeah its great to hear the song sung live and he did a great job with it.

whats up with these guys even getting the notion they can cover michael jackson tracks. they cant come close to the originals so why bother?

whats up with these guys even getting the notion they can cover michael jackson tracks. they cant come close to the originals so why bother?
can it for once be about the music and not about some illogical superiority comparison? and even then it should be seen as something positive since he's paying tribute. it's not a bloody competition to be saying "you can't top it", "can't touch it". that's not what music's about.

Oh great, I bet all the little teens and people in their early 20's who don't know any better, will think it's Ne-Yo's song and probably fawn over how great it is.
so what; if they didn't know of the song in the first place then why give a toss about them now? surely in due time they'll be enlightened, and it'll be because of the tributing artist that they're fans of
f_smiley.gif

I love to hear other artis cover mj's work. It tells me that they appreciate it. I search youtube all the time to find MJ cover songs. I listen to them more often than I listen to MJ. Ne-yo did well with his live perfomance.

Last edited:
Thriller is sacred noone should be able to touch songs from that album
this happens all the time, to other songs and artists too. And in the beginning Jackson 5 and The Jacksons DID A LOT OF COVERED SONGS. It think if it is done well, it is a tribut to the artist and the songwriter. In this case, Michael was only the singer, by the way, and the songwriter is Rod Temperton.

To be perfectly honest, MJ has done a few covers I'm less than fond of, and some of the ones I do like I still don't think are better than the original. It doesn't matter though, because that's not the point of a cover song.

I don't really see an issue with it. If anything, I'm glad it's Ne-Yo rather than any other of these mainstream R&B artists.

Sadly, it's likely some will not even know it's a cover, but I don't that's a majority.

... Okay, I just heard Ne-Yo sing it and then Michael sing it. Damn, Michael is blessed with a voice! :lol:

Back