Music Died On June 25

Michael was a complete circle of power. He had it all. Great music. Great vocals. Great dance moves. Great charisma. And most important of all, a great heart.

That's what makes him an EXCELLENT role model for not just musicians. But people in general.
He was an excellent human being and that in itself helps sky rocket his name above them all. EASILY.

IMHO.

Michael was a complete circle of power. He had it all. Great music. Great vocals. Great dance moves. Great charisma. And most important of all, a great heart.

That's what makes him an EXCELLENT role model for not just musicians. But people in general.
He was an excellent human being and that in itself helps sky rocket his name above them all. EASILY.

IMHO.
I couldnt have put it better

This isn't completely on topic but, here is a Sunday Times article with Mariah Carey about the decline of the music industry and her plan to 'save' it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6914835.ece

Great post.

from the article:
The traditional business model for the recorded music industry is bust. Has been for years. CD sales are down again this year, by 13%, as online downloads grow, according to the ratings agency Nielsen. The Big Four record companies — Universal, Sony, Warner and the ailing EMI — sell two-thirds fewer albums than they did in 2000. Carey is furious that music-industry executives failed to realise how the internet would change the way fans consume music. And when the penny finally dropped, they let the computer, not the music, industry corner the market. Over time, many more copies of Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel will be downloaded online than bought in stores. Buyers will go to sites such as iTunes or Napster to do so, not to Carey’s own website, nor that of Island Def Jam. The iTunes music store passed six billion sales earlier this year and has also driven sales of Apple’s iPod and iPhone.

“A lot of big powerful music-industry executives made a giant mistake,” she says. “They gave the music business away on the internet. If they had just sat back and said, ‘Maybe let’s figure this internet thing out, it could be something cool,’ we could have found a way to distribute music online on our own terms, not somebody else’s. Prince had already shown them the way. He was so far ahead of the curve, putting out his own records on the web. Everyone else was stupid.”

What we're evidently witnessing is the death of the industry, something the U.S. is seeing now in its once almighty Automotive industry. It may take a generation to rebuild but these seemingly invincible conglomerates, but eventually they will be. Whether we see higher quality singing, songwriting and studio production values emerge from these new enterprises is another matter entirely.

This subject does deserve it's own thread.

Thanks for the link.

Marty In LA

from the article:
The traditional business model for the recorded music industry is bust. Has been for years. CD sales are down again this year, by 13%, as online downloads grow, according to the ratings agency Nielsen. The Big Four record companies — Universal, Sony, Warner and the ailing EMI — sell two-thirds fewer albums than they did in 2000. Carey is furious that music-industry executives failed to realise how the internet would change the way fans consume music. And when the penny finally dropped, they let the computer, not the music, industry corner the market. Over time, many more copies of Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel will be downloaded online than bought in stores. Buyers will go to sites such as iTunes or Napster to do so, not to Carey’s own website, nor that of Island Def Jam. The iTunes music store passed six billion sales earlier this year and has also driven sales of Apple’s iPod and iPhone.

“A lot of big powerful music-industry executives made a giant mistake,” she says. “They gave the music business away on the internet. If they had just sat back and said, ‘Maybe let’s figure this internet thing out, it could be something cool,’ we could have found a way to distribute music online on our own terms, not somebody else’s. Prince had already shown them the way. He was so far ahead of the curve, putting out his own records on the web. Everyone else was stupid.”

What we're evidently witnessing is the death of the industry, something the U.S. is seeing now in its once almighty Automotive industry. It may take a generation to rebuild but these seemingly invincible conglomerates, but eventually they will be. Whether we see higher quality singing, songwriting and studio production values emerge from these new enterprises is another matter entirely.

This subject does deserve it's own thread.

Thanks for the link.

Marty In LA
:clapping::clapping:

Yes, the industry (much like the expensive "Hub" idea or Airlines now whining after 20 years of ripping off people...) missed the deadline for a "Business concept". They probably thought they can continue selling people mediocre mainstream cr*p for 20 Dollars per CD. Didn't work out so well. MJ seemed to be one of the few people were people WILLINGLY bought his music physically in a store because they expected quality. And again the industry just sat back with empty ideas and pushes "recycling." I noticed that the major chains only sell Box Sets, "Best Off" etc. In a chain you are hard pressed to find an actual album. Mostly "Best Offs" are stocked.

Sounds like Carey listened a bit to MJ there...:smilerolleyes:

I don't think that's it, per se. In the old days record labels were ran by former musicians or music fans (even if some were mafia based). Now it's just 'suits' with a college degree trying to please stockholders and meet quotas...

Point well made, thank you.

Let me add to your post that there now seems to be a dearth of music industry people who can identify exceptional talent. Where are the John Hammond's, the Clive Davis's, and the Berry Gordy's of the 21st century?

They've evidently been replaced by university educated Generation Y & Z suits that are more pre-occupied with balancing their Microsoft Excel spreadsheets than finding the next Elvis, Elton or MJ.

Marty In LA

Prince had already shown them the way. He was so far ahead of the curve, putting out his own records on the web. Everyone else was stupid.
Because Prince puts out his records himself, he doesn't have to sell millions of copies for a middleman (the record label) to make money because the label is taking all of the profits. He doesn't have to work with the "producer of the month" to try to get hit records, and puts out what he wants. Who else can put out a 3 CD set for $12?

boy, i miss hearing Michael Jackson talking for himself, without having to hear other people interpret it for me.

It's like this, if there's really great and innovative music, we're not hearing it! Most of what is on radio or tv today is absolute rubbish.

i feel that way alot because nothing has shaken me up more.he left that kind of mark. once in a lifetime.

For me, it feels like theres a gaping big hole in the music world that will never be filled. Michaels music was THE most exciting, innovative,imaginative....I could go on. We've been left with his amazing legacy, yet still it just feels as though something has gone forever that will never be recaptured.

Back