Music Died On June 25

well, truth be told, melody-based pop music (meaning, the kind MJ made and loved) is still alive thanks to bands like the Pet Shop Boys, but on the whole, pop has croaked.

music, you're right, is still alive. but it needs a transfusion soon.

I totally agree. as Mike told Brett, one hit (maybe) and the rest is crap. Mike died and took music with him :(
Amen. But I think MJ left and took much more than music. Pop culture as whole is gone too. There is nothing interesting anymore. Hollywood has lost its glam.Nothing is special or worth seeing anymore.

I understand the dialogue in here, from both standpoints. For me, when this statement is made (clarification here) I'm thinking mainstream, the artist that are pushed into your face over and over again and the "music" all sounds the same. There ARE still great artist out there and newer one's coming out everyday, but honestly and sadly many of them won't get "discovered" because they won't conform to the mainstream. Let's use the term "MySpace Musicians" for lack of a better one....there's some GREAT music out there, music that means something still, music that serves a purpose or tells a story that's relevant...however, many of these people are "unheard" of but tbh they're not "bitching" about it because its about their craft...these are the modern day musicians I can sort of get with and these are the one's that filter into my ipod along with the oldies/greats of the past....I said all of that to really say this, I can appreciate the ones who do it for the love, the story, the craft, the art.....not the ones who do it to become the become the next 15 minute pop star and make millions putting out half-a**ed crap. When your CD has 18 songs and only 2 of them are "good" (not so good that they'll still be played in 10 yrs but "good") then yes....the music industry is on its last leg. This is my point of view. Much love. :heart:

Music isn't 'dead', per se. But, I think the music industry is just so watered-down and "reality"-based right about now. Acts are just regurgitating the same old crap from the previous act. Pure laziness, imo. There's very little of that old hollywood mystique left. Rock stars can't be "rock stars" anymore. Everybody wants to be the "rock star" lol. Everybody= bloggers, journalists, reality tv personalities, etc. Alot of artists try too hard to be so "real" and attainable, that their "art" kinda takes a backseat to their personal lives. Over-exposure at its worst. Alot of folks are just content with the way things are, which is really sad. Nothing wrong with making music to make dollars, but would it hurt to make SENSE as well? I'm just hoping that Michael's passing is (slowly, if at all) lighting a fire under the asses of alot of today's "pop elite" (along w/ their producers) and inspire them to hone their craft and take this music stuff a lot more seriously. I didn't always feel this way. I just wasn't ready to give up on my "generation", but unfortunately, my little "revelation" came on the heels of MJ's passing (literally minutes after hearing the news).

I too miss the way music used to be *sigh* I keep thinking Michael would have changed the music industry again if he were here. I keep hoping one day it will all change and music will be worth listening to again. Sadly, I think as long as money is the number one priority rather than talent, I don't think that will change. I liked a few of the performances on the AMAs, but if this is all we got that's worthy of being nominated, then I don't feel hopeful for the future.

If you're depending on someone (radio conglomerates, videos, TV, peers) to force feed what you should listen to, well that's your fault.

Just to add to that ^^

Everyone has different tastes. Do a search on myspace or go to a local gig to find some music if you're not happy with what the music industry is offering you. They are just giving people what is making them money. There's lots of unheard, unappreciated music out there.

The quality of commercial mainstream music has been in decline since the emergence of MTV-based music video of the 1980's. True there's been some noticeable and deeply talented artists to come along in the last 2 decades, but they've not had the staying power that artists that came out of the 1960's or 1970's had. Certainly we all agree that they'll never ever be another MJ. Never.

Many of you fans are now seeing the huge chasm in quality of today's popular music and what preceeded it. Last night's AMA TV show laid bare for all of us to see just how far the music industry has declined. This new generation of artists won't ever measure up to the talent that came out of Motown, The Sound Of Philadelphia, Stax, or the British Rock invasion of the 1960's.

While it seems to be difficult to find new and exciting artists worth following among today's music, it's certainly not impossible. Thankfully we have countless resources on the internet to help us find it. When we find music worth appreciating just don't expect those artists to become superstars, almost all of them will remain obscure in the mainstream music industry. Quality popular music doesn't require heavy airplay on the radio or a 'number one record' for it to be worth keeping.

Did music music die on 06-25-09? For many of you that will be true, but for others like myself that grew up through the entire Soul Music era, April 1, 1984 will be the day music was killed. That was the day Marvin Gaye was shot to death by his father here in Los Angeles. For me popular music's not been the same since.

With many of us having a difficult time trying to find some new music to listen to, I recommend looking back at artists that preceeded (and influenced) MJ. Take a close listen to James Brown's earliest recordings, the music of Jackie Wilson, Sammy Davis Jr., Ray Charles, Nat King Cole or even Frank Sinatra's 1950's catalog. I'm currently combing through the finest live performances of the great Ella Fitzgerald. Alll of these artists had far more talent than we'll ever see performing at any music awards show.

Marty In LA

Last edited:
The quality of commercial mainstream music has been in decline since the emergence of MTV-based music video of the 1980's.
I don't think that's it, per se. In the old days record labels were ran by former musicians or music fans (even if some were mafia based). Now it's just 'suits' with a college degree trying to please stockholders and meet quotas. A lot of the old acts (like Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, U2, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.) weren't instantly successful and were allowed to build an audience because the label believed in them. That won't happen today. Also there was no internet, no video games, no DVD, no cable/satallite dish, etc. There were only 3 channels on televison which went off air around 11 or 12 PM. So there wasn't much competition. Vocal groups sang on corners, bands played in bars, strip clubs, or juke joints for years before getting "discovered" so had plenty of time to develop their talent or style. Musicians had to learn an instrument. John Coltrane used to practice up to 12 hours a day. Today, anybody can get a cheap keyboard with pre-programmed sounds or buy a video game and pretend to play an instrument instead of actually learning one. A lot of schools have cut out music classes also. Most of the acts back then also didn't make any money, so they performed because of the love of music.

I totally agree with the original poster. Everyone just sucks. No one can get a audience response like Michael could. If he came out, everyone would go crazyyy. He is the one and only LEGEND.

Everyone just sucks.
There's literally thousands of albums released each year, and you're judging all of them off of a few acts on a TV show. There's many old albums still in print as well. If you've never heard them, the music is "new" to you. So I don't understand how all music can be bad.

I want to point something out here btw... Music seems to have different level of diversities depending on what part of the world you live in. When i paid New York a visit, i was floored at how much better their radio stations were with MORE to offer people than our crappy L.A. stations that only play the same of the same all day all night.
I went to Pennsylvania recently and their stations were also different.
They play what they want. People have no choice but to either accept or ignore it.

Music industry is at it's lowest point, mainstream is at its lowest point, but if you dig a little deeper I bet you could find stuff worth listening too.

At the moment i cant find anything worth listening to. I feel suffocated. What the hell is that song "I gotta feeling" all about. Just portraying party life, where you just drink and spend your money (parents money) on liquor/hookers. Thats exactly where our generation, my generation is heading to. Well i just picked that song as an example. There`s more. I cant stand some of the music. There are some good bands left, but there`s nothing classy or different about them. I like Maroon 5, i like Nickleback, Kings of leon, etc..but there`s nothing outstanding. There`s no creativity. We need songs, music that makes an impression. We need role models. Especially for our children and teens. Not like this come and go artist, who promote laid back, care free life. Look at all these hip hop videos, promoting gang lifestyle. Even artists like Rihanna etc..using their talent to show more and more skin. Some of these celebrities can soo make a difference, why arent they using it towards a greater good. I am not saying that they all dont care. But yea, music is an effective way of passing a message. Right now all i hear is spend your money, get high, and party. We need a Michael right now. We need something magical.

The world has changed so much, now it's all about showing skin, patrying and sex, not like it used to be. However great music never ends, will always be there for us to enjoy. I have no hopes for the future regarding real music, however you can still find fun stuff to listen to. Michael will always be number 1 though, forever.

music has been dead way before june 25, but music is actually making a resurgence, the internet is allowing more original quality music to be heard and released, music that would not have seen the light of day in 2000-2001, the music is being spread digitally, the music industry will conform soon, and real music will rise once more for it is timeless.

At the moment i cant find anything worth listening to. I feel suffocated. What the hell is that song "I gotta feeling" all about. Just portraying party life, where you just drink and spend your money (parents money) on liquor/hookers. Thats exactly where our generation, my generation is heading to. Well i just picked that song as an example. There`s more. I cant stand some of the music. There are some good bands left, but there`s nothing classy or different about them. I like Maroon 5, i like Nickleback, Kings of leon, etc..but there`s nothing outstanding. There`s no creativity. We need songs, music that makes an impression. We need role models. Especially for our children and teens. Not like this come and go artist, who promote laid back, care free life. Look at all these hip hop videos, promoting gang lifestyle. Even artists like Rihanna etc..using their talent to show more and more skin. Some of these celebrities can soo make a difference, why arent they using it towards a greater good. I am not saying that they all dont care. But yea, music is an effective way of passing a message. Right now all i hear is spend your money, get high, and party. We need a Michael right now. We need something magical.

I agree with you, word for word.

The world has changed so much, now it's all about showing skin, patrying and sex, not like it used to be. However great music never ends, will always be there for us to enjoy. I have no hopes for the future regarding real music, however you can still find fun stuff to listen to. Michael will always be number 1 though, forever.

I know... I miss michael :cry:

Lady GaGa did a great job..her performance was pretty memorable and it was memorable for her talent as well as her production IMO...Rihanna is boring... J-Lo totally should not have been on that stage...Adam Lambert looked extremely nervous and he tried very hard (he can sing his lil booty off tho) and Green Day are Punk Rock Legends in my eyes i adore that band...as a whole it was just okay...the music industry was definitely shaken when MJ died and it was completely shut down for for a while...tho music will continue on nobody and i mean NOBODY will ever ever ever take MJ's place nor will we ever see a talent like his...rare should have been his middle name cuz thats exactly what he is

looking for great music shouldn't have to be like studying for a freaking final exam for an ivy league school. nor should anyone be made to feel guilty for not going that route, when considering that;
nor should a person be made to feel guilty, if they were used to it being as close as Michael Jackson, who was right there for you.

I still listen to modern music, but only because it's ''fun'' and ''catchy''. Yeah, when you really listen to the song, the lyrics are awful! Basically all about sex and break ups and all female music videos are them dancing around in their underwear and all male videos are women dancing around them in their underwear. They are like that because that's what the demand is today. The older generation stick to what they used to listen to in their youth and most young people demand the rubbishy music we have now.

''Decent'' music died with Michael though :(

Aww this thread makes me sad :(
How badly the music industry needed Michael to show some great music. *sigh*

This isn't completely on topic but, here is a Sunday Times article with Mariah Carey about the decline of the music industry and her plan to 'save' it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6914835.ece

The quality of commercial mainstream music has been in decline since the emergence of MTV-based music video of the 1980's. True there's been some noticeable and deeply talented artists to come along in the last 2 decades, but they've not had the staying power that artists that came out of the 1960's or 1970's had. Certainly we all agree that they'll never ever be another MJ. Never.

Many of you fans are now seeing the huge chasm in quality of today's popular music and what preceeded it. Last night's AMA TV show laid bare for all of us to see just how far the music industry has declined. This new generation of artists won't ever measure up to the talent that came out of Motown, The Sound Of Philadelphia, Stax, or the British Rock invasion of the 1960's.

While it seems to be difficult to find new and exciting artists worth following among today's music, it's certainly not impossible. Thankfully we have countless resources on the internet to help us find it. When we find music worth appreciating just don't expect those artists to become superstars, almost all of them will remain obscure in the mainstream music industry. Quality popular music doesn't require heavy airplay on the radio or a 'number one record' for it to be worth keeping.

Did music music die on 06-25-09? For many of you that will be true, but for others like myself that grew up through the entire Soul Music era, April 1, 1984 will be the day music was killed. That was the day Marvin Gaye was shot to death by his father here in Los Angeles. For me popular music's not been the same since.

With many of us having a difficult time trying to find some new music to listen to, I recommend looking back at artists that preceeded (and influenced) MJ. Take a close listen to James Brown's earliest recordings, the music of Jackie Wilson, Sammy Davis Jr., Ray Charles, Nat King Cole or even Frank Sinatra's 1950's catalog. I'm currently combing through the finest live performances of the great Ella Fitzgerald. Alll of these artists had far more talent than we'll ever see performing at any music awards show.

Marty In LA

Great post.

The people in here talking about what people sang about has changed, no it hasn't. The "Rat Pack" (Frank, Sammy, Dean, etc.) was about drinking and partying. Many of Little Richard's, Etta James, Barry White, and others songs were about sex. Donna Summer had a 17 minute song in the 1970s called "Love To Love You Baby" in which most of the song was her moaning. Even The Monkees had a song "Cuddly Toy" about sleeping with multiple people. Many songs talked about sex in a disguised form like "Let Me Ride in Your Little Automobile" by Lowell Fulson. Elvis Presley was generally shown waist up because of his gyrations. Lots of old country songs were about drinking whiskey and fighting at the "honky tonk". Rock groups like Black Sabbath & Jefferson Airplane sang about drugs. Girl group songs like "My Boyfriend's Back" by The Angels were about being in a gang. Many blues songs were about cheating and violence such as "I'm Gonna Kill That Woman" by John Lee Hooker or nagging girlfriends/wives like "I'm Gonna Quit You Pretty Baby" by Silas Hogan & "I Done Talked and I Done Talked" by Frankie Lee Sims. Josephine Baker, Tina Turner & The Ikettes, The Ritchie Family, Vanity 6, Grace Jones, Betty Davis, Chaka Khan, Wendy O. Williams, etc. were skimpily dressed. Although not music, check out what the women wore in a 1960s Star Trek episode, especially the aliens. Alice Cooper concerts contained gore and a guillotine decaptiating dolls. The jazz rock group Steely Dan was named after a vibrator. Millie Jackson used profanity in her songs back in the 1970s. There was also underground acts like Blowfly. In the 1960s, Jackie Wilson & Lavern Baker made an alternate joke version of their duet "Think Twice" that was full of put downs and cursing. So, it wasn't exactly "Polly Purebred" back then.

lol Duran, I see your point, I do....but to speak for myself I'm not talking about the lyrics but moreso the quality. All of those musicians you named (great references btw) had quality music and you have to appreciate the work ethic that those musicians had that you don't see as much today. Like you said earlier, quartet groups were a dime a dozen on the corners, singing and harmonizing but I don't know....there's a difference to me. I love that post though :)

MJ was of a generation with actual skills. Play an instrument, actually have a voice, dance etc.

The topics were always the same and will always stay the same. Nobody was "purer" back then.

There is also huge Indie Music stream that has TONS of people with actual talent, skills and the will to WORK. Because that's what music demands. Not your picture are TMZ.

The mainstream garbage, come on, nobody will talk about that in 40 years. Rihanna, JLO, all these posers are not going to matter. Marvin Gaye, MJ, those will matter.

Who will matter are musicians, not fakers. That's the big difference.

Music will never die. Just look past the big mainstream mirror that tries to tell you that the mainstream garbage available for you at BestBuy is "music". Look behind it and you will find a wealth of talented singer, songwriters, dancers and performers.

MJ is part of dying generation though. People like Sting etc- those who can look back at years of actual work.

Michael would never say that Music is dead. He had a James Brown- and he is the "James Brown" of many other artists. And the cycle will continue. Music will always love but it will change. Music didn't die when Bach or Mozart died- new musicians came. Michael loved so much other music, of course music didn't die.

MJ was of a generation with actual skills. Play an instrument, actually have a voice, dance etc.

The topics were always the same and will always stay the same. Nobody was "purer" back then.

There is also huge Indie Music stream that has TONS of people with actual talent, skills and the will to WORK. Because that's what music demands. Not your picture are TMZ.

The mainstream garbage, come on, nobody will talk about that in 40 years. Rihanna, JLO, all these posers are not going to matter. Marvin Gaye, MJ, those will matter.

Who will matter are musicians, not fakers. That's the big difference.

Music will never die. Just look past the big mainstream mirror that tries to tell you that the mainstream garbage available for you at BestBuy is "music". Look behind it and you will find a wealth of talented singer, songwriters, dancers and performers.

MJ is part of dying generation though. People like Sting etc- those who can look back at years of actual work.

Michael would never say that Music is dead. He had a James Brown- and he is the "James Brown" of many other artists. And the cycle will continue. Music will always love but it will change. Music didn't die when Bach or Mozart died- new musicians came. Michael loved so much other music, of course music didn't die.

we really don't know what Michael would say, and i wish people wouldn't guess. and as far as James Brown, he did say something akin to music dying. he asked Michael to fix the music.
ot...that Mariah Carey article writer is racist, by what they wrote in that article. they have a warped view of what gains an audience.

"Great music is immortal." Geraldo Interview. The whole segment on music is pretty interesting.
He adored Tschaikovsky, Rachmaninow. It's just a wild guess but I am thinking the musician Michael Jackson would never consider music "dead" just because he is no longer around in physical form...

Music will always love on, it is the universal language.

In either case we can agree to disagree.

Michael was the last genius, he was a th last one, there will never another one who does music the way he did, we still have Stevie, but from these days Michael was the one, he had a life to do music, i like Stevie, but Michael was a perfectionist, im just searching for that, as much as the passion, Michael had them BOTH and on extreme portions, luckyly we have real artist from the past...Nowadays is all about a hit and looks, sad, real sad, i dont care, cause history is made for something. i for once love music form all eras but music has lost one treasure, Michael did music like no other, many may try to do like him, but i mean, i havemnt hear that one yet, is impossible, his extremely unique way of singing, oh MY GOD!!!!, he was a rare talent, i just love that stuff, and i dont mean lady gaga...

Modulation Alert;2406020[B said:
]"Great music is immortal." Geraldo Interview. The whole segment on music is pretty interesting. [/B]
He adored Tschaikovsky, Rachmaninow. It's just a wild guess but I am thinking the musician Michael Jackson would never consider music "dead" just because he is no longer around in physical form...

Music will always love on, it is the universal language.

In either case we can agree to disagree.
thats what i mean when i say we are lucky to have history...

Back