Moonwalk during billie jean on this is it ?

well he moonwalked at the ending chorus, just like 3 slides. That's the same sort of moonwalk as seen in the first MSG Concert. Motown 25 also had a really short moonwalk.

He did moonwalk just before the sidewalk. For a second but he did it! Anyone else saw it or am I dreaming?

Edit: Just found a link on youtube, I am not sure if I can post it here, but at 4:36 you can see a moonwalk, as I said, sust before the sidewalk!

Last edited:
Everything that looked to be a variation of the moonwalk was shot from the wrong angle anyway. Its like the BBC version of Bucharest and the Billie Jean performance in Cologne 1992. The moonwalk or any variation of the moonwalk must be shot straight on from the front of the stage.

I realise it was only rehearsal footage but still. They managed it with the Dangerous Tour rehearsals.

He actually does do a LITTLE moonwalk in the BJ performance....I missed it the first time, but the second time I caught it :cheeky: It's only a few seconds and pretty much on the spot. The rest is a sideways glide.

I think it's unfortunate that Mike's wearing boots for that performance :doh: had he been wearing his usual flats he would have done it I'm sure :D

MOONWALKING IN HEELS???!!! Nup.....LOL

Amazing performance though, moonwalk or no moonwalk, it's EPIC!

he did moonwalk a little bit in Billie Jean and he also moonwalks in Smooth Criminal as a part of the routine!

He does start to do it in Billie Jean. He turns and starts but then just stays in the one spot and moves his feet (I don't know how he does that). He doesn't go all the way through with it. In his mind he was doing it if that makes sense. In smooth criminal he for sure does a small one. Maybe on the dvd there will be extra footage where he actually did the whole thing in Billie Jean.

I remember him moonwalking a little. But he did it in one place and didn't go across the stage like I was waiting for him to do. But I was so impressed with all the other dancing so I have no complaints.

Something I never considered.

The stage surface wasnt suitable for moonwalking yet?

or he didn't have the right shoes on?

i saw a teeny mini one

May I humbly say........that I think what you might be asking is ''did he do the backslide''? The 'moonwalk' as I understand it....( humbly...dont shoot me plz! lol ).......is where he goes round on the spot, in a circle..............
the whole long stage illusion of moving backwards whilst appearing to move forwards....is called the backslide....right? :) ( I am thinking back to Jam vid where he is trying to teach mj ( Michael Jordan)........and he describes making the illusion.......etc....
I must confess I was waiting for that bit too..............but hey it's MJ's rehearsal...........his stage..his choice.......and boy did I appreciate his choice in doing the long slow crotch grab...........
Thanks MJ :)

Last edited:
I remember someone mentioned he was wearing boots not his usually shoes. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't know if that was maybe the actual first run of billie jean. I remember after Michael said about getting the feel for it. It was great.

May I humbly say........that I think what you might be asking is ''did he do the backslide''? The 'moonwalk' as I understand it....( humbly...dont shoot me plz! lol ).......is where he goes round on the spot, in a circle..............
the whole long stage illusion of moving backwards whilst appearing to move forwards....is called the backslide....right? :) ( I am thinking back to Jam vid where he is trying to teach mj ( Michael Jordan)........and he describes making the illusion.......etc....
I must confess I was waiting for that bit too..............but hey it's MJ's rehearsal...........his stage..his choice.......and boy did I appreciate his choice in doing the long slow crotch grab...........
Thanks MJ :)

Ahh nobody actually calls it the backslide anymore though. If you said to someone, can you do the backslide? Most people wouldnt know what you were talking about. Its commonly known as the moonwalk now, it should just be accepted as the moonwalk. It goes down in HIStory as the moonwalk.

I remember someone mentioned he was wearing boots not his usually shoes. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't know if that was maybe the actual first run of billie jean. I remember after Michael said about getting the feel for it. It was great.

Well his 'feel' for it was certainly great!!! :)

feel for it.......... lol :agree:

Did Michael only moonwalk ONCE in THIS IS IT?

OK, so i've seen the movie 3 times and going again tomorrow night...

The one thing ive noticed is the serious lack of moonwalking in this movie. The one MAJOR thing he was famous for in terms of dance moves and i think I only saw him do one small moonwalk with his dancers in Smooth Criminal....

Did anyone else notice this? And the lack of moonwalk in Billie Jean?

WHY?

Re: Did Michael only moonwalk ONCE in THIS IS IT?

OK, so i've seen the movie 3 times and going again tomorrow night...

The one thing ive noticed is the serious lack of moonwalking in this movie. The one MAJOR thing he was famous for in terms of dance moves and i think I only saw him do one small moonwalk with his dancers in Smooth Criminal....

Did anyone else notice this? And the lack of moonwalk in Billie Jean?

WHY?

because it was only rehearsals

Why? I don't know maybe because it was rehearsals? lol I mean u know why practice something he knows how to do like it was nothing? He did two still moonwalks if u know what I mean? Like standing still while sliding his feet back and a mini moonwalk on Smooth criminal! I know we all miss it but, it was there just not full out! I didn't mind because all the dancing he did throughout the movie was awesome and the slow crotch grab made u forget that he didn't moonwalk full out! lol

He moonwalked in Billie jean too. It was during the instrumental part i think. It was only like 2 steps back though.

He also did an "on the spot" moonwalk. Where he did the moonwalk while remaining in place. I live when he does that.
He also did several sideways moonwalks.

He did 3 very short moonwalks.

he did a moonwalk with the dancers in smooth criminal

Yeah!! One in Smooth Criminal with the other dancers and two small ones ,2 or 3 steps in Bille Jean!!

he did moonwalk in billie jean.
just watch for when he takes his glasses off right before the breakdown.

he does a small moonwalk and then turns and does a sideways moonwalk.

He also did an "on the spot" moonwalk. Where he did the moonwalk while remaining in place. I live when he does that.
He also did several sideways moonwalks.

Exactly. I don't know he does that. It wasn't the moonwalk like everyone expects that he does but it was there.

Back