Michael's Music on Chelsea Clinton's Wedding Playlist

CherubimII

Proud Member
Chelsea Clinton Wedding Playlist: Boogie-Worthy or Boring?

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on July 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM
  • Chelsea Clinton's July 31 wedding is fast approaching, and there have been plenty of rumors -- both true and false -- about what the lucky guests will experience at the $2 million shingdig. The latest leak is Clinton's wedding playlist, which TMZ has reportedly acquired.
If the list is accurate, I've got to say it's a little ... lame. Sorry, I know wedding music isn't always grand, and it's her wedding and she can have it anyway she wants it, but ...
Check out the selections for the band (which is setting them back $40,000) and see for yourself:
"Wild World" -- Cat Stevens
"The Dock of the Bay" -- Otis Redding
"Think" -- Aretha Franklin
"Billie Jean" -- Michael Jackson
"Higher and Higher" -- Jackie Wilson
"It's Your Thing" -- The Isley Brothers
"Twistin' the Night Away" -- Sam Cooke
"Happy Together" -- The Turtles

And there's more. Lots of Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder and more Motown, but the only songs I see from this decade are "I Got a Feelin'" by the Back Eyed Peas and "Beautiful Day" by U2 (which was barely in this decade).

It's not that I don't like a lot of the songs, it's just they're all so OLD. And the mix as a whole isn't all that interesting -- I've heard all of it at weddings (and in diners) countless times.

Perhaps Chelsea, 30, and husband-to-be Marc Mezvinsky, 32, are old souls, or perhaps Bill had a heavy hand in the selection, who knows. As long as they're happy with it, I guess it doesn't matter what I think, because somehow my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.
What do you think of Chelsea Clinton's wedding playlist?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/107074/chelsea_clinton_wedding_playlist_boogie

• Chelsea Clinton's July 31 wedding is fast approaching, and there have been plenty of rumors -- both true and false -- about what the lucky guests will experience at the $2 million shingdig. The latest leak is Clinton's wedding playlist, which TMZ has reportedly acquired.
If the list is accurate, I've got to say it's a little ... lame. Sorry, I know wedding music isn't always grand, and it's her wedding and she can have it anyway she wants it, but ...
Check out the selections for the band (which is setting them back $40,000) and see for yourself:

And there's more. Lots of Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder and more Motown, but the only songs I see from this decade are "I Got a Feelin'" by the Back Eyed Peas and "Beautiful Day" by U2 (which was barely in this decade).

It's not that I don't like a lot of the songs, it's just they're all so OLD. And the mix as a whole isn't all that interesting -- I've heard all of it at weddings (and in diners) countless times.

Perhaps Chelsea, 30, and husband-to-be Marc Mezvinsky, 32, are old souls, or perhaps Bill had a heavy hand in the selection, who knows. As long as they're happy with it, I guess it doesn't matter what I think, because somehow my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/107074/chelsea_clinton_wedding_playlist_boogie

well now the article writer knows why his or her invite got lost in the mail, lol. or is it that your invite got lost and that is the reason why you are bellyaching over the playlist? lol. i'm guessing you love the playlist, but you're jealous of the artists, and of clinton for not getting the invite. anyway, Michael was at her dad's inaugural and obviously made an impression, and i'm guessing MJ's death adds to the sentiment for her.

Last edited:

Actually Those are all great artists!

That's nice,you can never go wrong with mj's music.She must be an old soul like me cause most of the songs are quite old,cant blame her cause the current songs are trash and it's been like that for quite some time.

I am not too familiar with some of those songs. Even though I do like the older generation music. And I am the same age as Chelsea. But I am glad to see Michael on that list. Just kind of reminds me when I was at my cousin's wedding back in November of 2001. And there was a Michael Jackson song played there. It was Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. That made my night to hear one of my beloved's songs being played.

I don't see any problem with that choice of music :D
If I were to get married, there would probably be very few new pop/rock songs on the set list for the wedding..
Good to know there's more MJ on the list, Billie Jean wouldn't have been my number one choice for a wedding :scratch:

I don't see any problem with that choice of music :D
If I were to get married, there would probably be very few new pop/rock songs on the set list for the wedding..
Good to know there's more MJ on the list, Billie Jean wouldn't have been my number one choice for a wedding :scratch:

i think the lady in my life would be the perfect mj song for a wedding

Music aside, it is interesting to observe who is marrying into power here and how this pattern has been repeated throughout the ages.

I love the music she's chosen! I'm 23 and I would have a similar playlist. I have to have some Al Green on there too! :)

i think the playlist is great. add to that the age of the bride and groom, it makes their choices all the more significant =)

i love that playlist too....i prefer the old stuff...

side note: my sister just got married this weekend, and she had a few MJ songs...WBSS started off the whole reception, and later on the evening, they played BJ, TWYMMF, and for her bouquet toss, she chose P.Y.T...it was perfect!

i love that playlist too....i prefer the old stuff...

side note: my sister just got married this weekend, and she had a few MJ songs...WBSS started off the whole reception, and later on the evening, they played BJ, TWYMMF, and for her bouquet toss, she chose P.Y.T...it was perfect!

ur sis has gr8 taste too :)

nice playlist...cat stevens is amazing...atleast she knows her music...:)...She put Michael on that list so she did good from the get go..:D

[Check out the selections for the band (which is setting them back $40,000) and see for yourself:[/FONT]

According to TMZ list of MJ songs are

Billie Jean
Rock with you
Don't stop 'til you get enough
The way you make me feel
Dancing machine

According to TMZ list of MJ songs are

Billie Jean
Rock with you
Don't stop 'til you get enough
The way you make me feel
Dancing machine

amazing choice of songs. good for her.
Bill called MJ a good friend in the statement he issued regarding Michael's passing !

i bet if everyone in all ages of time, and all centuries were put into a deep sleep, and woke up and didn't know what year it was, and all songs were played from all centuries and those people were asked to pick which ones they liked, without any program directors telling them what to like, all the people would have a similar list to Chelsea's. lol. at the end of the day, it's not about when a song was released..it's about how good the song is. and we've been all collectively brainwashed, and told what music to like. a lot of the latest generation listening to music today, probably wouldn't like that music, if they were given the choice and there were no such thing as radio programmers. they are called programmers for a reason. we've all witnessed the operation of a giant musically religious cult, and the radio programmers were all the 'musical' equivalent of Jim Jones, the cult leader. thankfully, Michael made a lot of people want to break out of that cult's grip. but the cult leaders have wanted to do some serious punishing of Michael. and now they want to punish the escapees of that cult.

Most of the music from this decade is unimaginative and forgettable.
There's literally thousands of albums released every year. So unless you've heard them all, how do you know that "most" is forgettable? People who can't find music for themselves and are depending on someone else (radio, MTV, BET) to do it for them can't complain about it.

There's literally thousands of albums released every year. So unless you've heard them all, how do you know that "most" is forgettable? People who can't find music for themselves and are depending on someone else (radio, MTV, BET) to do it for them can't complain about it.

Well, most people, like Chelsea Clinton, choose popular music for their weddings. I personally would select songs widely known by all my guests so as not to bore everyone, lol.

Last edited:
Well, most people, like Chelsea Clinton, choose popular music for their weddings. I personally would select songs widely known by all my guests so as not bore everyone, lol.
That's all well and good, but I wasn't talking about Chelsea's song selection per se. I'm just not into the idea that songs are only valid if they're a hit or played on the radio every 20 minutes, lol. That's why I don't understand people worried about how many records someone sold or who has the most hits & awards. A lot of the records I have probably went lead. :D

I like the list a lot. Good music is good music, regardless of when it came out.

Side note: It seems like such a strange thing to me to critique someone else's wedding playlist. So what if the songs are old? It's their day.

Back