Michael's Cover of "Come Together"

i like both version i actaully heard michael's version first when i saw moonkwalker for the first time.

wow ok Come Together Michaels way is incredibly good. Aerosmith didn't do it to bad its good their way to and as for the original way... Well they were good to but yes it is very
foods_167.gif
worthy lol.

I've already replied to this thread but I'm listening to Come Together right now and Michael's version is really amazing.

I think the only cover songs Michael did that I like the orginal better than his version is The Temptations' 'My Girl' and Bill Withers' 'Aint No Sunshine'

Apples and oranges!

My room was covered with Beatles posters from their arrival in America. I kept a scrapbook. Knew every word to Come Together before most of you were born, I do believe :)

In MJ's hands, it's a different song to me, and my mind can't begin to comprehend comparing the performances.

The lyrics, which we debated endlessly back in the day, mean nothing to MJ or his performance, which is fine -- for him they are simply scat-singing sounds. Except, of course, for the explosive double entendre of the title: a call for world peace... and simultaneous orgasm. MJ, who wanted to be known as a proponent of the first, fascinatingly makes his performance all about the second.

So an angst-ridden song about many things for the Beatles, including personal commentary about one another, made obscure by too much LSD, becomes a powerful sexual celebration for MJ.

Both are brilliant, and I love them both.

Apples and oranges!

My room was covered with Beatles posters from their arrival in America. I kept a scrapbook. Knew every word to Come Together before most of you were born, I do believe :)

In MJ's hands, it's a different song to me, and my mind can't begin to comprehend comparing the performances.

The lyrics, which we debated endlessly back in the day, mean nothing to MJ or his performance, which is fine -- for him they are simply scat-singing sounds. Except, of course, for the explosive double entendre of the title: a call for world peace... and simultaneous orgasm. MJ, who wanted to be known as a proponent of the first, fascinatingly makes his performance all about the second.

So an angst-ridden song about many things for the Beatles, including personal commentary about one another, made obscure by too much LSD, becomes a powerful sexual celebration for MJ.

Both are brilliant, and I love them both.

... & I love your post!!! :clapping: rep!

Me personally I love his version. I had never heard the beetles version, but I knew for a fact Mihcael's had to be better. Well, I have heard the beetles version recently. And I Was Right. Sorry, but they can't touch Mike's version (IMO!!!!)

I´ve always been a huge beatles fan. Actually somehow I´ve listened their version first, but this has never pleased me though. I started to really like the song only after listening Michael´s version. There is so much energy, I don´t know how to explain, I just feel bored with the beatles one.

When I first heard MJ sing it I love it right away, I never thought of it as a cover song til one day I thought to hear the beatle's verson. The second I listen to the beatle's verson I was thinking Nah I love MJ's verson better :)

Being the Beatles freak/fanatic/would-have-been-groupie-if-I-lived-in-the-60s that I am, I'll answer this. I love both versions equally. I LOVE my idols, my beloved Beatles. It became John Lennon's "theme song" in a way, as he played it a LOT during concerts in the 70s. Heck, he wrote it!
BUT, when I saw Michael's version from Moonwalk, I couldn't stop DROOLING! He makes the song so sexy! :D

The Beatles make it classic because it is the original and nothing can touch the original, but Michael comes in a CLOSE second with the uber-super-hot-amazing SEXINESS!!!!

Oh and for the record, I like Aerosmith's cover of Come Together as well, and Earth, Wind and Fire's version of Got to Get You Into My Life. :)

I read somewhere that MJ was in the studio and sang alot og Beatles songs in the 80's after he bought the rights.

Actually I read somewhere that BAD was supposed to be an album only with MJ singing Beatles songs.

So I think he has recorded MANY beatles songs, many of the recordings are propably finished and ready to be released.

Bill Bottrell let some air out of this legend (to my disappointment) about a number of Beatles covers out there during the Bad era, at

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...rked-michael-jacksons-dangerous-album-24.html

P.S. The linked thread is utterly amazing; I spent many consoling hours on it after Michael's death reading wonderful anecdotes from the engineers who'd worked closely with him. Check it out!

i know it's easy to think that if i'm a fan of an artist, i could never accept a cover from someone else. but i believe i'm objective. i like an artist because the music is good, not because i just love the artist. i really think MJ's version of come together is much better than the original. i also think earth wind and fire's version of 'got to get you into my life' is much better than the beatles' original. but i think the beatles' 'long and winding road' is wayyy better than anyone else who covered it. and i've heard quite a few covers of that song. that's one of my favorite all time ballads.

EWF doing Got To Get You Into My Life is incredible, excellent shout! :punk:

I LOVE IT.
I remember how sexy it was the video when Moonwalker came out, some people were a bit disturbed by Michael Jackson´s so sexy dancing LOL

I really don´t understand why the Beatles don´t like it, I find it very good, and accurate to the original.
I wonder what would the Beatles think if it were Marilyn Manson covering the song XD

To me , one of the best covers I know.

I just totally love Michael's version of Come Together. I think it is better than the original. And I've heard the original and I really don't like it. Plus Michael was just looking so very hot sexy as he was performing that song in Moonwalker.

Bill Bottrell let some air out of this legend (to my disappointment) about a number of Beatles covers out there during the Bad era, at

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...rked-michael-jacksons-dangerous-album-24.html

P.S. The linked thread is utterly amazing; I spent many consoling hours on it after Michael's death reading wonderful anecdotes from the engineers who'd worked closely with him. Check it out!

I loved the linked thread. But now it went down... I wish they said more!
I wonder what other songs did he cover..........?

I loved the linked thread. But now it went down... I wish they said more!
I wonder what other songs did he cover..........?

I saw your post there, Limonali... so you were following that thread from the start too... cool! Yeah, I was brokenhearted when the engineers gradually stopped posting and it tapered off. I expect that thread alone will greatly enrich future biographies of MJ.

Were you around for John Lennon's death? That knocked me flat, and remains so vivid for me -- MJ's is the first event that's felt comparable. "Imagine" is the song that calls up John's memory most emotionally for most people. I wonder if a song like that will emerge for Michael, or perhaps it has?

I saw your post there, Limonali... so you were following that thread from the start too... cool! Yeah, I was brokenhearted when the engineers gradually stopped posting and it tapered off. I expect that thread alone will greatly enrich future biographies of MJ.

Were you around for John Lennon's death? That knocked me flat, and remains so vivid for me -- MJ's is the first event that's felt comparable. "Imagine" is the song that calls up John's memory most emotionally for most people. I wonder if a song like that will emerge for Michael, or perhaps it has?

I wasn't alive yet ... I was born in 1981... the only death that affected me during my lifetime in a similar way to Michael's was George Harrison's death. But it was different, he did not have that superstar icon status.

I think man in the mirror is one of the songs lasting forever and giving people the memory of Mike... but it's hard to tell now, he had so many of them causing so many people to get emotional!...

And re thread, I saved all the responses in my email in case they ever deleted that thread!
Loved them just so much. Actual pieces of information regarding the creative process!
Never too many!

"Imagine" is the song that calls up John's memory most emotionally for most people. I wonder if a song like that will emerge for Michael, or perhaps it has?

Funny, I was wondering this earlier too.
Maybe "Man In the Mirror".

Little sparrow (love your name)... that's the first song I thought of, too.

Since Siedah Garett wrote this for Michael, and the lyrics were inspired by him, I say let's count it, even though he didn't write it.

Little sparrow (love your name)... that's the first song I thought of, too.

Since Siedah Garett wrote this for Michael, and the lyrics were inspired by him, I say let's count it, even though he didn't write it.

Ha, thanks ;)
It's from a Devendra Banhart song, "Wake Up Little Sparrow".

Anyway, yeah, even thought MJ didn't write the song himself I think it's probably the one most people will associate with him emotionally down the line.

Anyone think of any others?

I love both versions. But I love Michael's more :)

Well said Bo G!

I'm swooning at the thought of a simultaneous orgasm. :swoon:

It's one of the worst songs he recorded. And he should not put it on HIStory. It was already released 8 years earlier in Moonwalker, and the on In the Closet single.

Back