Michael's Cover of "Come Together"

I like MJs version but have to admit that the Aerosmith version is my favorite.

I really love the Beatles version, but I honestly like Michael's better. He just really breathes life into it and makes it sexy as hell. It sounds like something he would have written too.

I really love that cover, and, unlike some MJ fans, I'm glad that it got it's place on HIStory even if it's years after.
I don't like the Beatles version tough.. I think it's boring and energyless.

And, MJ cover.. not talking 'bout the video..woah! It's alll in the pants baby, it's all in the pants.

But musically speaking, I really prefer Michael's version.

I think I actually like Michael's version better. Love hearing him say those weird words like "mojo filter" "spinal cracker." :lol: I still love the original by the Beatles, but really I think Michael could do any song and make it sound somehow better.

I don't really feel either way about Come Together from a musical standpoint, but Michael's performance of it is to me the the sexiest of all his performances, bar none. This goes way beyond the gold pants thing, imo-

Maybe some have never seen the performance, so here it is, enjoy and drool-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZzZactGQU

yep, he made it downright sexy. it makes me gasp every time I see it. one of my favorite performances of all time, by any one.

PS. my favorite part is the "muddy wataaaaaaaaaaaaah!!"

Last edited:
To be honest I kinda cringe when someone does cover a Beatles song. Not saying that their music is crappy (because it ain't, they produced great music), but some of the lyrical matter in the songs (especially "Come Together") doesn't make real sense. I think the Beatles were VERY HIGH on LSD when they did the song, it has a great musical groove tho. But I guess it was suspected, I mean it WAS the psychedelic era, lol. And back then you thought they were REALLY saying SOMETHING. :lol:

haha. Lewis Carroll didn't make much sense either at times :p

John was a BIG LC fan.. did you ever read his In His Own Write?

A threesome, hmm? :lol:

"1 and 1 and 1 is 3..." that lyric make you think it is, especially the "come together right now over me"... but other than that, it's still not making sense. :lol:

You can TELL Michael enjoy singing it. Because he's always singing something OUTRAGEOUS. You hear a song like "Superfly Sister" and you get to the end of it going:

"What the f*** is he talking about!?" :lol:

lol! you dirty, you nasty, you did it, you're doin' it! :D

I like this version too -- short but sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-KRyys8w_8&feature=related

I love Michael's cover of Come Together, especially the B-Side Moonwalker version on the Remember The Time single. I prefer Michael's version to The Beatles original which was sung by John Lennon, but The Beatles version is still an amazing as I love the music of The Beatles who are my favorite band (I would say the Jackson 5/ The Jacksons, but I consider that part of Michael's whole career).

To be honest I kinda cringe when someone does cover a Beatles song. Not saying that their music is crappy (because it ain't, they produced great music), but some of the lyrical matter in the songs (especially "Come Together") doesn't make real sense. I think the Beatles were VERY HIGH on LSD when they did the song, it has a great musical groove tho. But I guess it was suspected, I mean it WAS the psychedelic era, lol. And back then you thought they were REALLY saying SOMETHING. :lol:
John was really the only one who wrote songs with weird lyrics. Paul wrote little story songs about dogs, meter maids, lonely people, somebody breaking into his house through the window, a mom having a hard time, fools on a hill, daughter leaving home, etc. or love tunes. George tended to write either "hare Krishna" spiritual songs or songs that were cynical. The few that Ringo wrote were simple & childlike (Octopus' Garden).

I love love love Michael's version......this is the best cover of any song, ever. IMO of course. Also, I've never liked The Beatles, I just don't like their music, but Michael totally made this his own, and that's what makes the song. :wub:

Michael rocked it ooout more, and so for that i prefer MJ's better. and thanks to Michaels version it made me go back and learn to like the original, and love how unique the lyrics were.

Now if Michael did another huge Beatles song, i dont know for sure i would say Michael would do it any better, but with Come Together..... it couldnt hurt to re-do.

I did a project on the song (Beatles' version) for a humanities class. I found two meanings:
1) Some crazy sex thing which made no sense but was hilarious.
2) The four verses are each written about a member of the band. I think it's spot on.

I love Michael's version better, I've heard a bit of the original and I thought it was a little boring, Michael's version is way better and the video too :yes: :naughty:

I love Michael's version slightly more, but I think original Beatles version is great as well.

Michael's version gave the song a little bit more life, energy. The song came alive more. IMHO of course.

I like the Beatles one as a production more but Michael does a good job with it. Ike and Tina's is good because of the grit of her voice and his guitar. Never heard the Supremes one.

As both Beatles and Mikka fan I have to say come together is just all Lennon.. the lyrics the voice.
for me it cannot get better than that, sorry guys (and I am not a Lennon girl...)

But Mike did a good job and I like how his voice is more rough... he's all sexyness in the video and he gives it another rythm which I like, but ... Beatles win in my book. Sozzz.

Admittedly, I'm as biased as Beatle fans. Michael's is superior. Every day, any day...the king rules.

Definitely Michael's version. The Beatles version is a bit slow, MJ's has more UNF lol

I was never a fan of The Beatles. I like about five of their songs. Come Together is a very strange song lyrically and Lennon and McCartney's songs in the late 60s made no sense whatsoever as they were so high on drugs at the time. MJ's version just appeals to me a lot more as I like the rocky nature of it and the video of course! Funny thing was that when my mum saw it for the first time the first thing she said was 'god doesn't he look hot in this video.'

What do you think about MJ's cover of this Beatles classic? I've read a lot of comments from Beatles fans complaining of course how they think his cover is atrocious but I've read comments from those who actually like it too. I happen to think Michael more than did the song justice. I'm not saying it's better than the original, but I don't know how anyone could call MJ's version terrible. I prefer Michael's voice over McCartney's, Lennon's (or any Beatles member for that matter) so maybe that's why I like his cover so much. To me he did a great job, but that could just be the crazy MJ fan in me talking lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXJgTYaz-Kg&yt

What does everyone else think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Z8k5ChsX8&feature=related

that there's the Moonwalker vid of Michael doing Come Together -- watch it. love love LOVE it! he made it soooo whizzbang sexual... ain't nuthin' gay 'bout THAT particular performance ho!! :p

I was never a fan of The Beatles. I like about five of their songs. Come Together is a very strange song lyrically and Lennon and McCartney's songs in the late 60s made no sense whatsoever as they were so high on drugs at the time. MJ's version just appeals to me a lot more as I like the rocky nature of it and the video of course! Funny thing was that when my mum saw it for the first time the first thing she said was 'god doesn't he look hot in this video.'

*cough* I beg to disagree with the statement that their songs didn't make sense *cough*

Michael's version is absolutely superior. He owned that song! Literally He owned it in both ways.

The Beatles version is very ironic, because at the beginning John whispers "Shoot me" several times.

I prefer Michael's version, the Beatles' song kinda drags. Plus I heard Michael's version before I heard the original :)

I love both versions equally. I have Michael's version on my iPod. I love the song in general. Michael sings it with such passion and he gives it a lot of energy. He makes you believe in the song.

Back