Michael's Biggest Hit???

PopPrince89

Proud Member
What is arguably MJ's biggest hit? Like many, and this is most likely true, Id say, is BILLIE JEAN..agree/disagree? Another option might be Beat It or maybe even Man in the Mirror..but im convinced its Billie Jean, not only in terms of chart positions and sales, but a cummulative of awards, musical impact, recognition, appeal, etc.

I think it's Thriller imo. I mean, not everybody knows BotDF, Lady In My Life, or even Black or White, but I will bet MONEY that you could go halfway around the world and you will not find a single person who hasn't listened to Thriller at least ONCE. Although I do agree, the same could be said for Billie Jean.

Billie Jean definatley, EVERYONE knows that song.
MJ has ALOT of trademark songs though, like Thriller, Beat It, DSTYGE, Bad, Black or White, Smooth Criminal. :yes:
Prince doesn't have many and he has soooo many albums.

According to Billboard magazine, Black Or White is his most successful song. It stayed longer at #1. Then I think Say Say Say is next.

"Billie Jean" obviously. Not only is it his signature song but it's his best selling single as well and is always on countless "best of" lists. I remember reading somewhere that Blender Magazine named "Billie Jean" as being the best song of the past 30 years or something lol, don't know exactly if that's right but I know they said it was the best song of some time period.

Last edited:
Billie Jean..

More people will know the title 'THRILLER' simply because it was the largest ALBUM, huge VIDEO etc..

But SONG 'Billie Jean.'

I'd say Beat It :lol: most people i talk to say they prefer that song to alot of his other stuff cause it sounds different from his usual style i tend to agree with them Beat It is a masterpiece

If by biggest hit you mean simply most time at #1, then Black Or White. If you mean everything else, then Billie Jean hands down. That is THE Michael Jackson song.

Billie Jean
Black or white
Smooth Crminal (eventhough it didn't reach #1)

Ha ha ha ha!!!
Like everyone I thik that Billie Jean is the most famous MJ song, the other song are know by the people only because MJ was allready famous.

But Thriller I think is almost so famous as Billie Jean, I've talk to people who knows the melody of Billie Jean but doesn's know the name. Thing that is not happen with Thriller, the know the name, melody, video ... and coreography:p.

Billie Jean..

More people will know the title 'THRILLER' simply because it was the largest ALBUM, huge VIDEO etc..

But SONG 'Billie Jean.'

Agreed! With "Thriller" it's all about the video...

welll, I gotta say "Billie Jean"

I can listen to that song over and over and over!!!! love it!

but "Thriller" I'm sure is close if not on the same level. (by the way- I loove to listen to this song toooooo!)

also, "Black or White" is a huge international hit, I'm sure they listen to that more in other countries than here.

BIllie jean hands down!
But in my country it's very musch different. Not everyone knows Billie jean or Thriller, but they all know and love Heal The World, We are the world, and Earth Song :lol: :lol: It's pretty much because they're always played in every TV programs, concerts,... about environment, charity, humanitarian,... AN they're the hot topics nowadays huh? :lol:
I've never meet anyone who doesnt know Heal The World and not love it. It's an anthem now, at least in my country :punk:

Last edited:
Sales wise in the UK it's Earth Song followed by Heal The World. Both sold over a million and were massive Xmas hits.

Impact wise then yes Thriller or Billie Jean.

No, Billie Jean as far as impact and We Are the World as far as sales as it was the all time biggest selling single in the world until Elton John's, Princess Diana tribute of Can In The Wind in 1997.

Actually, it was White Christmas by Bing Crosby.

Billie Jean , Thriller and Smooth Criminal are his biggest hits I think.

But here in my country it is They Don't Care About Us - EVERYBODY knows and loves that song.

In terms of worldwide success and cumulative weeks at number 1 his biggest hit is actually Black or White followed by Billie Jean.

I would say Billie Jean is his most iconic song though obviously.

ask someone to copy MJ what do they do?? what will they start 'beat boxing'...

I bet 9-10 times they will grab the crotch, point, do a little kick, say 'aow', and be copying BILLIE JEANS baseline..

ask random people and see..

Billie Jean is the one that people immediately associate MJ with the vast majority of the time. Smooth Criminal, Beat It, Black Or White and Thriller are also the ones that pretty much everyone is familiar with too.

According to Billboard magazine, Black Or White is his most successful song. It stayed longer at #1. Then I think Say Say Say is next.

Black or White and Billie Jean stay at #1 on the billboard hot 100 for the exact same amount of time, 7 weeks.

Say Say Say stayed at #1 for 6 weeks.

Billie Jean March 5 1983 - April 16 1983 (7 weeks)
Black or White December 7 1991 - January 18 1992 *7 weeks)
Say Say Say December 10 1983 - January 14 1984 (6 weeks)

Back