Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' makes $20.1M Global on it's first day

Re: Disappointing $20.1M Global Bow For Michael Jackson's 'This Is It'

This news is like a knife to my chest. :( And what messed is this is actually awesome numbers but maybe its the way the article is worded especially the crap from the rival exec....I need a cheering up.

These are great numbers for a midweek opening.
Don't worry.
It is getting great reviews. It is just the media making drama out of nothing.
And the dvd sales will be amazing. :)

Well maybe a part of the "less" sales was.. well lets answer this question..

Who here saw the movie on the 27th??

Now has anyone seen any advertisements making it clear that you can view it on the 27th? Aside from MJ websites. like mjjc

Now how are they expecting first day sales to be up like crazy when they advertise only the 28th?? I just never understood it

I thought the same thing. I had to search around to find a place to watch it on opening night. No announcements, no press whatsoever in my neck of the woods.

These are great numbers for a midweek opening.
Don't worry.
It is getting great reviews. It is just the media making drama out of nothing.
And the dvd sales will be amazing. :)

:) Exactly

This news is like a knife to my chest. :( And what messed is this is actually awesome numbers but maybe its the way the article is worded especially the crap from the rival exec....

*SIGH* Yes, more of the same from the media. The movie will become the highest grossing of its genre, but the media will spin it so that it does average or poorly. It reminds me of the big sales of HIStory and Invincible, but the media said those 'flopped' just because they didn't match the 60 million that Thriller had at the time of their releases. The media's been downplaying Michael's sales since the Bad album, and it sickens me.

its funny, they say it performed badly on its first day. do they not realise that many countries had to screen the film at like 9pm for the first time, meaning there was only 3 hours in that day for the film to sell tickets? I went to a 9pm Wednesday night screening in Australia. In the begining they put on sale one VMax cinema screening (capacity of 400 tix @ $20 each) and one Gold Glass screening (40 seats per gold class @ $37 each) then it was so popular they had to add THREE extra Gold Class screenings (120 extra seats) PLUS they opened a standard cinema to accomodate people who were there but left ticketless! (300 capacity @ $17 tix each) -- All in all that is $20,000 of ticket sales in a 3 hour period on a WEDNESDAY (Thursday nights in Australia are "late night" movie and shopping nights so Wednesdays are usually dead quiet) -- This is massively impressive! I went the next day at 11.50am on Thursday (working day) and the 400 capacity cinemas was half full. DURING THE DAY. I have NO doubt that the Thursday NIGHT screenings would have been PACKED. And now its weekend - Friday, Saturday (Halloween - all sold out) and Sunday... BIG numbers ahead. Wednesday opening night they showed it on 7 screens and made $20,000 in ticket sales. Theyre showing the film on 16 screens per day for the next week. A portion of these screenings are 100% sold out and some are partially sold out. And this is less than BIG cinemas like George Street in Sydney, who are showing the film on 20 screens a day for the next week!

Give the film some time and it will prove itself. Media will try deny it. Even if it grosses $250 million in 2 weeks, the media will spin it and say "A disappointing result - ONLY $250 million made"

Thats the media for you.

$20 million opening day is pretty damn good for a movie release.

Don't we normally tally movies on their weekend releases counting Friday + Saturday + Sunday.

every article I've read said that it was record breaking and doing very WELL..........so we find the one negative to post for this thread??

results for michael jackson $20.1mil
Telegraph.co.uk
Jackson's 'This Is It' earns $20.1 mil worldwide in one day‎ - 6 hours ago
Michael Jackson's This Is It” has landed on top of the US box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas. ...
Japan Today - 6690 related articles »

Jackson's 'This Is It' earns $20.1 mil worldwide in one day ...

Jackson's 'This Is It' earns $20.1 mil worldwide in one day. Friday 30th October, 03:46 AM JST. LOS ANGELES —. “Michael Jackson's This Is It” has landed on ...
www.japantoday.com/.../jacksons-this-is-it-earns-201-mil-worldwide-in-one-day - 6 hours ago - Similar -

This Is It earns $20.1 mil - news.yahoo.com - Yahoo! Buzz

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Michael Jackson movie " This Is It " earned $20.1 million at ... Michael Jackson's This Is It Review: He's Still a Thriller ...
buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:y.../This-Is-It-earns-201-mil?... - 9 hours ago - Similar -

This Is It earns $20.1 mil - news.yahoo.com - Yahoo! Buzz

This Is It earns $20.1 mil · news.yahoo.com - Submitted: 31 min ago. LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Michael Jackson movie " This Is It " earned $20.1 million at ...
buzz.yahoo.com/.../1:y_news:b5d64b8924ca1a6a1f928e510eddc67b - 10 hours ago - Similar -

Jackson's 'This Is It' First Day Box Office Tops $20 Mln - Congoo

Oct 29, 2009 ... Michael Jackson Movie 'This Is It' Earned $20.1 Million At Worldwide Box ... for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 mil ...
www.congoo.com/news/.../Jackson-box-office-mln - 21 hours

every article I've read said that it was record breaking and doing very WELL..........so we find the one negative to post for this thread??

I thought the same thing.

If movie does more than 100.000.000$ in it's running time, I am more than happy :)

Well maybe a part of the "less" sales was.. well lets answer this question..

Who here saw the movie on the 27th??

Now has anyone seen any advertisements making it clear that you can view it on the 27th? Aside from MJ websites. like mjjc

Now how are they expecting first day sales to be up like crazy when they advertise only the 28th?? I just never understood it
I thought 27th was the pre-show premiere, you had to be special to watch it on that night.

I believe Jackson brothers saw it that night.

I thought it opened to the public on the 28th.

Friday will be the key day (today). Here are the key numbers. Jackson's THIS IS IT should do at least $15 million today in the US and $30 million overseas for a total of $45 million. Anything lower would be disappointing in my opinion. Friday is the key day, we have to watch today carefully. If that Paranormal activity sneaks up and wins I will be very mad. I know it's expanding to new theaters and it is Halloween so anything could happen. I know TONS of people my age really want to see it and I believe it will reach $20 million this weekend.

I saw it last night. Only cried for a bit, I was jsut so facinated by seeing him in his work mode. I'd love to see him in the studio though too, amazing man. It still doesn't feel like he's gone, just so unreal.

I'm thnakfult eh world got to see him in this footage, it showed his true character and work ethic. No parties for this man, work work work. Bless him.

How can 20 mil be disappointing? :doh: Guess you can never please some people :doh:

I think it's FANTASTIC for a single day, and that a Wednesday.

And let's not forget we're talking about rehearsals, not a real movie or a concert.

Well done, TII!

Didnt it premiere Wednesday? Wouldnt that be different from the weekend premiere for example..?!

^ yeah i think it will prob make a lot of money at the weekend. 20mil is great, especially for a documentary.

For "This Is It" to be a movie that was not released during the summer and not released on a Friday, it is doing absolutely GREAT!!

Mike's movie is KICKIN'!!!

The main thing that I liked about it is that he was enjoying himself. He was totally upbeat! It is so nice to see that he was having fun again. So nice!

How can anyone say that's bad? LOL.

It's about the FIRST DAY, that's kick-ass!!!!!!!

the tickets are sold out in a majority of the places they're being shown.

and note that the family/estate only gets the 90/10 deal AFTER the movie has grossed $135M....that's one of the reasons i decided to 'see' it

I hope they extend it one more week. They need another weekend to compensate for the busy Halloween weekend.

nope. the longer it runs and the more it makes means the more it goes to the estate and not them. they need to recoup $130M and THEN the family gets the 90/10 deal. that's y the two week run is perfect for them (aeg)

nope. the longer it runs and the more it makes means the more it goes to the estate and not them. they need to recoup $130M and THEN the family gets the 90/10 deal. that's y the two week run is perfect for them (aeg)

i think aeg has nothing to do with the 90% of the profits, its SONY cuz sony bought the rights from aeg...well either way both are money suckers :S

is it $130 mill. I thought it was when sony cleared their amount. Hmm. well world wide it will do good so the Estate will get some money and the Charities need this for the Christmas..
What about the sales of the DVD? is that included?

Back