Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' makes $20.1M Global on it's first day

williamorange1

Proud Member
Disappointing $20.1M Global Bow For Michael Jackson's 'This Is It';

Just $20+M Weekend, $-50M Five-Day

By Nikki Finke

Thursday October 29, 2009 @ 10:30am

THURSDAY 10:30 AM: Sony just announced that Michael Jackson’s This Is It opened Wednesday all around the world in 99 countries with a 1-day gross of $20.1 million. The press release called it "an extraordinary start" but, immediately, Hollywood considered that number disappointing after all the pre-sales hype surrounding the concert footage and its 2-week limited run. The film opened to a paltry $7.4 million domestic even including Tuesday's $2.2M late night showings. That's almost 50% less than the $17M Sony hoped for, and 39% less than the $12M Hollywood expected. "This is not promising," a rival studio exec just told me even though Sony Pictures paid $60M to concert promoter AEG for the rehearsal footage. But a Sony spokesman challenges that: "We took in 1/3 of what the film cost on the first day, and that is a disappointment? For whom?" Even overseas, where Michael Jackson is considered more popular than here, its solid but not spectacular debut was $12.7 million internationally. (Foreign numbers included UK $1.9M, France $1.3M, Japan $1.1M, Germany $1.0M, China $730K, Sweden $490K, Holland $390K, Mexico $370K, Brazil $350K, and Australia $330K. The film opens in 10 additional territories today.)

The studio is trying to put the best face on the opening, claiming the worldwide launch featured "very strong performance" across North America, Europe, Latin America and Asia, and "represents an amazing beginning for the film and a reaffirmation of the global appeal of Michael Jackson". Uh, no. In North America, This Is It took in the highest gross ever for a Wednesday in October, which is a rather minor record. "The studio expects strong word of mouth and impressive critical acclaim to continue to drive ticket sales," a Sony spokesman said. There was some good news for the studio: the movie received an “A” Cinemascore across the board.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

Re: Disappointing $20.1M Global Bow For Michael Jackson's 'This Is It'

That's because it was super - over hyped by SONY. They were saying stuff like "250 million the first day" or something like that.

20 million over night is AWESOME though. Far from dissapointing.

And here we go. The media hate will commence. Anyways I love the movie and I will see it again and again.

bless

most people dont even know anything about it being at the cinema...

i still havent seen any adverts

I think it's OK.

I think we should wait for the weekend numbers.

This news is like a knife to my chest. :( And what messed is this is actually awesome numbers but maybe its the way the article is worded especially the crap from the rival exec....I need a cheering up.

media outlets with agenda thats all. i see other articles saying what a success its first days sales are.

That's because it was super - over hyped by SONY. They were saying stuff like "250 million the first day" or something like that.

20 million over night is AWESOME though. Far from dissapointing.

EXACTLY what I pretty much stated in another thread. It's still not doing bad for an Oct. Wed. release for a film of its type. Because Sony/AEG did overhype this, I know some people are seeing the grosses as mediocre and as a failure when really, if you think about it, it really isn't.

The REAL test will come Fri. and Sat.

yea.. well shoot... i guess i need to go more than the 4 times that I have already planned for.

its only been out two days.... and two business/school days at that. the numbers this weekend should be more telling.

The dvd release will be good! I mean I think most fans will buy a copy, and curious people who didnt see it in the cinema will buy it too!

news home | top | world | intl | natl | op | pol | govt | business | tech | sci | entertain | sports | health | odd | sources | local
AP • CBS • MSNBC • USA TODAY • FOX News • New York Times Movies • Movies • Music • TV • Entertainment News Videos

Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

Email this Story

Oct 29, 2:42 PM (ET)

Google sponsored links
Obama Documentary on HBO - Get an inside look at Obama's road to victory. Watch the trailer.
www.hbobythepeople.com

Movies in Theaters Now - Try Bing's New Interactive Gallery of Current In-Theater Movies Today!
www.Bing.com/VisualSearch

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The King of Pop is No. 1 again.

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" has landed on top of the domestic box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas.

That gives the film documenting Jackson's rehearsals for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 million.

Distributor Sony said the $7.4 million domestic haul is the best ever for a movie on a Wednesday in October. "This Is It" was easily the No. 1 film domestically, coming in ahead of the $1.5 million gross for "Paranormal Activity," last weekend's top box-office earner.

Jackson died June 25, just before he was to begin a marathon run of comeback concerts in London. "This Is It" was built around more than 100 hours of behind-the-scenes footage shot between March and June as Jackson and his backup performers developed the numbers intended for his elaborate stage shows.

Sony said it expected strong results for the film this Friday and Sunday, though Saturday may leave a hole in the overall box office, falling on Halloween, when audiences typically are preoccupied with parties and trick-or-treating.

In a single day, "This Is It" climbed into the ranks of top-grossing music documentaries, just behind the $8.6 million domestic haul of "U2: Rattle and Hum."

By this weekend, "This Is It" is likely to shoot past such films as "Madonna: Truth or Dare" ($15 million) and "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" ($19.2 million) to become the No. 2 draw all-time on the music-documentary chart.

The No. 1 music documentary is "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert," which had a $31.1 million opening weekend last year and took in $65.3 million over its entire theatrical run.

Among the totals from other countries, "This Is It" brought in $1.9 million in Great Britain, $1.4 million France, $1.2 million in Japan and $1.1 million in Germany.

The film debuted in 99 countries Wednesday and expands to 10 more Thursday.

The film features Jackson doing all his biggest hits, including "Billie Jean,""Beat It,""Thriller,""Human Nature" and "Smooth Criminal."

This is one of those films that will spread like fire via word of mouth as more and more people go to see it and realize how extravagant it is.

In my opinion, many non-fans might still be assuming that this documentary is no different than watching any of the million TV specials about him. But as news spreads about how different this is and how it is next to 100% raw rehearsal footage of Michael, more people will get interested.

And the current figure is far from dismal for a documentary...

when the media keeps promoting the movie as being sold out everywhere and only showing for two weeks, what else can you expect?
You don't go rushing to get tickets when the chances seem pretty slim.

Though it seems like the media keeps contradicting themselves on this one.
One article is saying this, the other is saying that. :/

Weekends are where the big money is made and opening weekend especially so, so I wont pay attention to figures just yet.

Word of mouth, word of mouth! *Everyone* needs to see this. Not just for the numbers, but to see the real, honest Michael.

Even Friedman said that statement was ridiculous. They are tripping. 20 Millionsfor first day for documentary is amazing.

$20 million opening day is pretty damn good for a movie release.

Don't we normally tally movies on their weekend releases counting Friday + Saturday + Sunday.

Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

Email this Story

Oct 29, 2:42 PM (ET)

Movies in Theaters Now - Try Bing's New Interactive Gallery of Current In-Theater Movies Today!
www.Bing.com/VisualSearch

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The King of Pop is No. 1 again.

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" has landed on top of the domestic box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas.

That gives the film documenting Jackson's rehearsals for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 million.

Distributor Sony said the $7.4 million domestic haul is the best ever for a movie on a Wednesday in October. "This Is It" was easily the No. 1 film domestically, coming in ahead of the $1.5 million gross for "Paranormal Activity," last weekend's top box-office earner.

Jackson died June 25, just before he was to begin a marathon run of comeback concerts in London. "This Is It" was built around more than 100 hours of behind-the-scenes footage shot between March and June as Jackson and his backup performers developed the numbers intended for his elaborate stage shows.

Sony said it expected strong results for the film this Friday and Sunday, though Saturday may leave a hole in the overall box office, falling on Halloween, when audiences typically are preoccupied with parties and trick-or-treating.

In a single day, "This Is It" climbed into the ranks of top-grossing music documentaries, just behind the $8.6 million domestic haul of "U2: Rattle and Hum."

QUOTE]

Aww I wish this was the original article posted and not the flame one. I keep having to cover my pc when I come on MJJC, I don't want any of my co workers to start flaming MJ movie gross. I can't handle the hate wank today.

Every other news outlet so far are coming at this news in a positive way, I don't know why this article is so negative. :(

The movie is doing great and I don't notice the pathetic predictions.
Whoever wants to see it he will go and gain a unique experience. Whoever doesn't it's his loss!
I don't care about their millions Michael is the King and he states it throughout the whole movie!
This Is It for the fans!

The 20 mil is GREAT, and all else is bogus. the writer is a hater and it's SO obvious all over him. Let's NOT help spread negative subjectivity across the web; mods, either change the title of the thread or delete it, i say..
Roger says it best today -and also talks about the stupid rumor of the 250 ml and how it came about.. Let's make an exception and see what he says for once:

'This Is It': $20 Mil Opening for a Documentary Couldn’t Be Better

It’s all how you spin it, right?
Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” made $20 million worldwide opening on a Wednesday in October on the first night of the World Series. This is considered a tremendous success, not a disappointment. How it got labeled the latter is beyond me.
If “This Is It” makes $70 million domestically through Sunday night, believe me, Sony and AEG and Michael Jackson’s estate will be very happy. There’s no reason to think it won’t. The film has an across-the-board Cinemascope rating of A. Most of the reviews, except for one crazy one, are positive. THR’s Kirk Honeycutt lavished praise on it, and he’s tough, kids. If he likes it, you know it’s good.

A few days ago, one movie blog decided that “This Is It” should make $250 million in its first weekend. This is the usual craziness of bad or no reporting. If the movie makes just that domestically, and another $150 million abroad before its scheduled Jan. 20 DVD release, all parties will celebrate.
By the way, all the worldwide numbers aren’t in. The film opened in 10 more countries today. On Friday, record producer L.A. Reid is hosting a private A-list screening. There will be more of those.
As for the naysayers who claim that it doesn’t tell the whole Jackson story, this is what I say: You’re right. This is a behind-the-scenes look at performance. The rest of it — and there’s plenty — will be explored in detail later.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/michael-jackson-this-is-it-20-mil-opening/#more-3651

HUUUUHHH eXCUSE ME, but the pre-sale does not mean it was for the opening day... I bought mine as pre-sale for TODAY, my birthday date... so, please, don't listen to this garbage...

Name another artist that has a documentary that has generated over 20 million in less then 48 hours and YET, it's not the weekend... so please, people don't read into it, real reviews will be known next tuesday or wednesday, since weekend edition will result in bigger sale.

And oh, yeah, i will see it twice or probably 4 times... so, the numbers will go up :) hehehe

I don't know why people are trying to say that it making over $20 million on a Wednesday is a flop. People do not normally go and watch movies right in the middle of the week and plus its a documentary. Most people are going to see this at the weekend, that is when the documentary is going to make the serious numbers because that is when most of the general public go to the cinema. Most sites that sell movie tickets online are already reporting huge increases in sales purchases for the next few days now that the word of mouth is out that the film is really good.

We already know that the film has made over $65 million worldwide purely from pre-sale tickets and not all of those tickets were for the opening night, many of those were for the Friday night and Saturday showings. So whatever spin the media is trying to put on it, the movie has already recouped Sony their money and will make a healthy profit.

Wow that Nikki Fink person is such a little baby. Lol. The article didn't even make much sense. Why was it posted? Not because we see it in print or the internet with MJ's name on it means it is worth anything. Why do we do this to ourselves?

I don't know why people are trying to say that it making over $20 million on a Wednesday is a flop. People do not normally go and watch movies right in the middle of the week and plus its a documentary. Most people are going to see this at the weekend, that is when the documentary is going to make the serious numbers because that is when most of the general public go to the cinema. Most sites that sell movie tickets online are already reporting huge increases in sales purchases for the next few days now that the word of mouth is out that the film is really good.

We already know that the film has made over $65 million worldwide purely from pre-sale tickets and not all of those tickets were for the opening night, many of those were for the Friday night and Saturday showings. So whatever spin the media is trying to put on it, the movie has already recouped Sony their money and will make a healthy profit.

Well-said! :clapping:So let's not do the favor to the a$$h@les and let's help keep the positive hype across the web. Fight back the stupid rumors it's a flop.
MODS: START FROM CHANGING THE TITLE IN THIS THREAD. OR -PREFERABLY- MERGE IT WITH THE REVIEW/NEWS THREAD..

Back