Michael Jackson's 'Michael' Could Sell 400,000 in First Week

Little offtopic, but does someone know first week WW sales of Invincible? it was reported that has sold 345 000, but couldn't belive thats WW. many big albums have 400000 first week sales, but only US, right?

Well look on the bright side,
Invincible sold i believe 373,000 the first week in sales and Janet's All For You sold 620,000 its first week in the same year and Lil Wayne sold a Million in the first week for his CD so anything is possible!

^ more people will buy it just because the extreme media coverage has attracted their attention

that's the truth ;)

the "boycott" fans are a minority. "Michael" is intended for mainstream and will be bought mainly by casuals, not just die-hard fans that are on the forums.

well i'm glad u put the winky smiley, cus we all are expressing only opinions here..we can't see who is the minority or the majority, since we''re each locked up in our own house. u can't really imagine what the vast majority of people we can't see are really thinking.

having said that..i'll say this..

the media has done a one eighty. they used to say that controversy surrounding Michael Jackson meant less sales...even in a time where any publicity was good publicity and MJ never went bankrupt. now, all of a sudden, the media thinks that controversy will sell his music rather than diminish sales. something tells me, that opinions in the media are disguised as fact.

it feels like..he's not around so things will go right. when he was around, things would go wrong..that's the impression the media gives.

the merchant that talks about the curious first impression for an album....i agree with that merchant.

nothing is given, but projections, here. nothing has happened yet.

the objective thing to say is nobody knows what's going to happen, until it happens.

Little offtopic, but does someone know first week WW sales of Invincible? it was reported that has sold 345 000, but couldn't belive thats WW. many big albums have 400000 first week sales, but only US, right?

the media has been biased toward Michael, so nobody really knows the sales figures of his album. not only that...the media has always only included the usa in it's sales figures. they had to be goaded to say something about the rest of the world.

Are the sales of this album largely dependent on casual fans of Michael's music, or hard-core fans of Michael (and his music)? In other words, do the "big sales" largely come from the casual MJ fans and general public?

dupsy;3071759 said:
what's stupid about it,so many people are not buying the album bços of those tracks they are just going to buy individual tracks,truth hurts.

And the winner for this weeks "dipshit statement of the week" goes to...*drumroll*, Dupsy!!!

Will it be possible for the album to sell 1 million copies in the US its first week?

If MICHAEL sells 400,000 copies in the first week it would beat first week sales of This Is It, Invincible and HIStory! It would be a great accomplishment :) I'm personally expecting sales between 380,000 and 420,000. Regardless, I just hope it reaches #1 in the US

Honestly, I don't know what to expect. There is somuch confusion surrounding this album and some are planning to boycott (which is their right) and it seems many do not know about it as well. I fell at a lost.

And where is the hype, the clips, TV commercials, interviews...????

And where is the hype, the clips, TV commercials, interviews...????

It's still over a month away, relax! :) They shouldn't start the 'hype' already, it's too soon. If they overpromote this thing it could backfire, if they make people aware of this album like 2 weeks in advance it's more than sufficient I'd say :)

Possible success of HMH = best possible marketing. I'm sure that in December we will see huge promotional campaign. Sure, boycott will damage (particularly) first week sale but album success mostly depends on casual and new fans.

Last edited:
I hope they are right. I hope it does even better than that.

It is true however that some fans are boycotting it so those are sales being missed.
At this point we don't know how much of a difference it will make but it is a loss of some sales. We can't deny that.
*I hope I don't get hatefull replies for saying that *

I think interest will be even higher in the album (then it might be at the moment)when people hear Hold my hand. Especialy if it does well on the charts.

Didn't Taylor Swift sell over a million copies in her first week like 2 weeks a go?
I hope the media won't take something like that and go "Well Michael was outsold by her so he doesn't mean much to music buyers anymore"
We all know how the media can twist things like that.

In the end I guess those things don't really matter though.
I didn't realise Invincible had opening week sales close to that when it came out.

^Taylor is alive to promote her singles. She's in the prime of her career. Obviously a posthumous album will not outsell an album from an alive artist who is at their prime. A dead artist selling 400,000 in the first week and going #1 is a huge success. The media will admit this.

oh my,...
i hope people dont start to compare the KING OF POP with taylor swift!?
and to this day i wonder why she sells so much in the usa? also this justin bieber.
i mean both are nearly totally unknown wordwide.

I didn't plan on buying her album but I got it the first week anyways because it was only 3.99 on amazon. Justin Bieber doesn't sell as much as it sounds like he does. People buy Taylor's stuff because her album actually contains music that's written by her, unlike other artists today who just have repetitive computerized junk, so her music stands out.

Once people see that MJ's album contains real music they will buy it too.

I don't even want to guess because who really knows for sure. With everything that has happened these last few days it's hard to know. I want it do well.

So what if 6 or 7 "boycott" fans don't buy the album? They certainly don't represent the mainstream buying public. It's still going to be a big hit and the chart topper that Michael Jackson deserves.

So what if 6 or 7 "boycott" fans don't buy the album? They certainly don't represent the mainstream buying public. It's still going to be a big hit and the chart topper that Michael Jackson deserves.

Of course Michael Jackson deserves it, but Jason Malachi doesn't :wink:

I hope you're right. I just hope all this "fake" talk hasn't put too many people off from buying the album. The media will have a field day if this album flops (i.e. if it sells less than expected). I can't believe there are actual fans who want this album to flop, do you not realize how this will harm Michael's legacy? Yes, I know you'll say it's not really Michael singing on a few songs (although there is scientific proof that he is, but w/e) but HIS NAME is on the album so the rest of the world does consider this a Michael Jackson project. If it sells poorly, I can guarantee you that the media and haters will forever use this as evidence that Michael is no longer relevant to the general public.

^Taylor is alive to promote her singles. She's in the prime of her career. Obviously a posthumous album will not outsell an album from an alive artist who is at their prime. A dead artist selling 400,000 in the first week and going #1 is a huge success. The media will admit this.

Oh please, Taylor Swift is absolutely no competition for Michael. Most people over here only know her because of that incident with Kanye. Her album sold well because it only cost like 3 dollars. But yeah, selling 400.000 in the first week is a great achievement by any means.

I hope you're right. I just hope all this "fake" talk hasn't put too many people off from buying the album. The media will have a field day if this album flops (i.e. if it sells less than expected). I can't believe there are actual fans who want this album to flop, do you not realize how this will harm Michael's legacy? Yes, I know you'll say it's not really Michael singing on a few songs (although there is scientific proof that he is, but w/e) but HIS NAME is on the album so the rest of the world does consider this a Michael Jackson project. If it sells poorly, I can guarantee you that the media and haters will forever use this as evidence that Michael is no longer relevant to the general public.

Even the people who are claiming they aren't going to buy it, are gonna buy it. LOL! It's easy to say something, but hard to follow through. Many things said on the net are hollow. Who can hold you to your word? No one. I ain't sweatin' all this ish. The album will do very well because it is Michael Jackson and he deserves it (not to mention his name is hotter than ever).

All we can do is wait and see but I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Back