Michael Jackson's 'Michael' Could Sell 400,000 in First Week

MJStorm

Proud Member
The initial U.S. shipment of Michael Jackson's "Michael," due Dec. 14 on Epic Records, is 900,000, according to retail sources. Sony is projecting first-week CD sales of 340,000 and digital album sales of 60,000. That projection is similar to debut-week sales of Jackson's album "This Is It," though that album had the marketing strength of a major motion picuture behind it. "This Is It" sold 373,000 units in its first week and has sold 1.6 million units since its release in October 2009, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Second week projections for "Michael," are set at 280,000 units, while digital sales are expected to slip from its debut week percentage of 15% to 8%. But both of those percentages are better than the digital sales garnered by "This Is It" in its first week when the format accounted for 5.6% of total sales.

"Michael" will carry a $10.25 wholesale cost and a $13.98 list price.

Most music merchants say the controversy surrounding the posthumous single "Breaking News" should stoke awareness and sales for the new album "Michael."

"I think people will come out to buy the album, especially with the controversy," Edge Entertainment Distribution music buyer Danny Cohen says.

The debate on song quality and authenticity will likely be a moot point by Nov. 15, when the Jackson website is scheduled to debut "Hold My Hand," which features Akon. That first commercially available single from "Michael" will be available for sale the same day at digital stores like iTunes.

Some merchants worry that the quality of the first song being streamed from Jackson's site may not inspire consumers to run out and buy the set on street date. One merchant described "Breaking News" as "an interesting choice to sell an album. It's not a good first look for the album."

Merchants say that Sony sales representatives have told them the single was chosen more because of the lyrical content as a way to herald the news about the upcoming album.

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...el-could-sell-400-1004126634.story?tag=hpfeed

400.000 worldwide or only in US?

If it is in US alone it is very impressive.

If the cascio's tracks were not on the album,he would have sold more than 400000 copies

400.000 copies in US alone is great in these times. Does that include all preorders?

Wasn't the pre-orders all ready REALLY high??

Chris_Jones;3071694 said:
Stupid...

what's stupid about it,so many people are not buying the album bços of those tracks they are just going to buy individual tracks,truth hurts.

^ more people will buy it just because the extreme media coverage has attracted their attention

that's the truth ;)

the "boycott" fans are a minority. "Michael" is intended for mainstream and will be bought mainly by casuals, not just die-hard fans that are on the forums.

so that means 2,8 mio for the rest of the world in the first week?

That is not the truth. I know plenty of people (fans) who refuse to buy the album and only buy the songs they believe are real. That may be different for the general public though.

dupsy;3071759 said:
what's stupid about it,so many people are not buying the album bços of those tracks they are just going to buy individual tracks,truth hurts.

Because the fans are the ones damaging Michael's legacy with the negativity of BN. Just be glad we have an MJ album. Gosh I am so hurt from all this negativity. I mean Michael is not here to do the final touches to this album, and I think many fans forget this.

On a positive side I am very excited, I pre-ordered the moment it was on sale. I just cannot wait to hear Michael's angelic voice again!

Is 400,000 in the US good? (Sorry, I have no idea how the American charts work)... How do you all think the album will sell in the UK/Europe?

I'm really, really hoping the album sells around 200,000+ in the UK in first week of sales. That would be really, really fantastic. Lets see how promo goes first though. ;)

If you don't believe it's MJ on BN, fine, that's your choice. But there are ways to believe that without crapping on a thread. I just find it funny how you think MJ is going to have diminished sales because of some fans from forums who say they are not going to buy the album. Number one, you guys are not that many compared to the actual number of people who will buy the album. Number two, I'm willing to bet that more than half of the people saying they aren't going to buy the album are going to purchase it anyone.

Let's hope so
well if the media starts bashing MJ imma change my mind.

Am I the only one who doesn't think 400k is that impressive?

This Is It was a greatest hits album with one new song. Also in the top 10 that week was Number Ones, another greatest hits album. So an album of new material is expected to sell less than a duplicate greatest hits album?

This Is It was a greatest hits album with one new song. Also in the top 10 that week was Number Ones, another greatest hits album. So an album of new material is expected to sell less than a duplicate greatest hits album?

in this day and age it is great, with all the downloading that goes on and such, but nevertheless it is a michael jackson album so it will do well even with all the downloads, i plan to download it when it leaks, and purchase a physical copy as well.

400K is impressive for the UK... this has been achieved a few times over here when BIG albums come out, so thats why I asked whether this number was impressive for the US. (Keeping in mind that the UK is a dot compared to the size of the US).

How many album sales does it take to get to No.1 in the US?

dupsy;3071759 said:

What's stupid, ok here you go in simple English. Four hundred thousand in the above mentioned timescale. THATS stupid!

was going to ask if 400.000 copies for the first week is good or not so good. glad to see it's considered good! GO MICHAEL!

Back