Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Exclusive: Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry.

For all these years, Michael’s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael’s hits that he wrote, like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It,” but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.

But there’s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson’s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.

According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago. It would be triggered by the release of the next Jackson album–in this case, the recent “Michael”–and the repayment of loans.

The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale, Sony

Sony/ATV could be kicking the tires of each company’s publishing divisions for purchase. But Warner Chappell might be less interesting to Sony ATV considering they’re already getting Mi Jac. And without MiJac, Warner Chappell–which just had a down quarter–might not look so good to other potential buyers.

What may happen now: the newer, and very hot, BMG Music Rights will likely make a play for EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music–the record company, which has the Beatles albums in its catalog–the physical albums and box sets–could then be merged with another record company like Sony Music or, more horrifyingly, Warner Music. Stay tuned.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/02/1...g-catalog-will-moonwalk-to-sonyatv-publishing

Last edited:
So does this mean that Sony could release any of Micheal's covers of The Beatles? Or what? Maybe I'm just a little slow in the head but can someone sum it up or me... is this good news or bad news? If so, why one and not the other?

WMG is officially DEAD.

I hope this is a good (both financially & legacy-wise) for Michael and his kids.

One thing I "believe" to be true, is that Warner-Chapell will not be collecting that "HEFTY FEE," any longer, IF this deal goes through.

So that should amount to a HEFTY savings for the Estate of Michael Jackson. Which, in my opinion, is good news.

AndreyZidane™;3252291 said:
So does this mean that Sony could release any of Micheal's covers of The Beatles? Or what? Maybe I'm just a little slow in the head but can someone sum it up or me... is this good news or bad news? If so, why one and not the other?

Co sign
translation, please :unsure:

I don't understand to be honest. :(

Does it mean more unreleased material or something else? Good or bad news? Confused. :(

Yeah, I'm not really familiar with all of this fancy stuff... Can someone break it down for me? (and for the others who also didn't understand what does this actually mean)

Michael had created 'MiJac Publishing' for all the songs that he wrote as well as owning the rights to Sly And The Family Stone,Ray Charles and others.. which were administered by Warner Chappell (Part of Warner Music). Warner doesn't own 'MiJac Publishing but it still had to be paid Fee's to administer it.

Now, Warner Music ,as well as EMI are both up for sale, and because of that 'Mijac Publishing' is now apart of Sony/ATV Publishing (50% owned by Sony and 50% owned by the Michael Jackson estate)..I would say that's a good thing because now Warner will not have to be paid any more fees.

I hope I explained it somewhat better..Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

Simply, Michael=Sony/ATV will have absolute/full control of all MJs solo records, and I believe, Michael would be amazed of that! = money and earnings, profits...

Sony/ATV will not pay Warner for the administration of the songs/MiJac P., but IMO, Sony/ATV will have to pay Sony Music that also has the publishing rights to all MJs solo records, now Sony Music will have the administration rights.

Last edited:
I believe in the future Michael Jackson's Catelogue will be worth much more the Beatles Catelogue; because, Micheal's music is so more diverse and vital. (i.e. Better :cheeky:)

See this "Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees." In other words Warner Chappel collected royalties for Michael's songs and got a cut from these royalties as a fee. Now as Sony/ATV manages it seems like the fees will be less (to none) and Michael's estate will get more money due to lesser fees.

It's interesting and I guess Sony will be delighted because Michael's publishing is worth so much. They and the Estate will make much more $$$ now from Michael's music.

Hope they spend some of that money on better promotion and protection of Michael's legacy than they have done with the MICHAEL project...

It looks like the Estate of Michael Jackson is tightening up the loose ends. I like it!

By the time Michael's children reach the age of consent, they will all be Billionaires, independently, in my opinion.

So does this means Sony will finally have the rights to all of Michael's songs?
is that?

and they will save some fees, but they will still have to pay to Sony, meaning Sony will make even more money, while the Estate will will keep geting the same money, but also saving money, so getting a bit more.

Sony is finally having it all? is that?

interesting... I gues... mmmm

I am so confused now! Sony had 50% of this catalog and always wanted to get their hands fully on that (MJ had the rest 50%). And now they did it, they got 100%?

What's good with that? Isn't that something we always feared? And doesn't this mean that now the Estate will get 0 profit from loyalties from now on? (if it stayed as it was the MJ side would get 50% of royalties)

So confused by your reactions so far guys

@ czechstar: the catalog is huge and doesn't contain only MJ songs. The Estate loses this way me thinks?

EDIT I hope what happened is something different than what I understood, somebody (who really knows) please enlighten us

Last edited:
I hope so Big Apple and I pray to God that the greedy clan of them don't take advantage of the kids.

So does this means Sony will finally have the rights to all of Michael's songs?
is that?

and they will save some fees, but they will still have to pay to Sony, meaning Sony will make even more money, while the Estate will will keep geting the same money, but also saving money, so getting a bit more.

Sony is finally having it all? is that?

interesting... I gues... mmmm

The ESTATE OF MICHAEL JACKSON will always own his music 100%.

The only way Sony/ATV could own Michael's catalog is if they purchased it, same rules as if they purchased anybody else's catalog.

In my opinion, this deal only means that Sony/ATV will collect the royalty fees now, instead of Warner-Chappell.

The ESTATE OF MICHAEL JACKSON will always own his music 100%.

The only way Sony/ATV could own Michael's catalog is if they purchased it, same rules as if they purchased anybody else's catalog.

In my opinion, this deal only means that Sony/ATV will collect the royalty fees now, instead of Warner-Chappell.

That's what I got from it as well..and the more Sony/ATV makes the more the Estate makes..So IMO this is a positive move.

Guys, its good news, Michael would do anything to have Sony/ATV - the 50% share, that is only his share, his fortune!

MJ Estate (still) owns the 50% of Sony/ATV, and its in their interest to keep an eye on MiJac Publiching ... and have it in their hands.

This arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago.

So Michael was aware of this and I think, he wanted his own catalogue back!

Sony/ATV is NOT Sony Music, but both will have a common interest and property = MICHAEL JACKSON´S Music!

And of course, MJ´s kids will inherit all of this.

And of course, IMO, Sony Music will have to pay Sony/ATV for administering the catalogue=Sony/ATV will gain money, like Warner as the former administrator.

Moonwalker.Fan;3252561 said:
Guys, its good news, Michael would do anything to have Sony/ATV - the 50% share, that is only his share, his fortune!

MJ Estate (still) owns the 50% of Sony/ATV, and its in their interest to keep an eye on MiJac Publiching ... and have it in their hands.

This arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago.

So Michael was aware of this and I think, he wanted his own catalogue back!

Sony/ATV is NOT Sony Music, but both will have a common interest and property = MICHAEL JACKSON´S Music!

And of course, MJ´s kids will inherit all of this.

And of course, IMO, Sony Music will have to pay Sony/ATV for administering the catalogue=Sony/ATV will gain money, like Warner as the former administrator.

Phew! Thanks for clearing up man. For a moment I thought MJ's half of the catalog was taken by Sony. All is ok then

I wonder how interested Sony is in acquiring the publishing rights of Warner and EMI..I wonder if it would be a good investment to buying them..Sony/ATV Publishing is already massive as it is O_O

If this arrangement was made years ago and Michael knew then it just shows how smart Michael was to protect his music and his legacy. If I am understanding this right SOny/ATV will get royalty fees now instead of that Warner from Michael's music. Michael own 50% of Sony/ATV so it's like he is getting more money back from his music? Michael's catalogue is in the company he co-owns?

Back