Michael Jackson Legacy Tour to start

Also this just proves that not everything that Estate does "sucks" and everything that Michael Durham Prince & Brad Buxer (or any other past MJ collaborator) are doing "rocks".

This sucks big time and I would never pay to see that. I'm not a fan of the "hologram" either but if I have to choose I'll rather watch "hologram" show than this cheap "tribute" show!

There was an MJ tribute artists in my town a few weeks ago, and at the end of his show he made a point to say that he all he was doing was paying tribute to MJ, and that there will only ever be one Michael Jackson. I wish more tribute artists were like that

Disappointed by all of them, the way they advertise it, they make it sound like Michael is easily replaced.
They of all people should know he isn't.

Why is is that Elvis Presley and The Beatles are seen as these ''untouchable geniuses'' who can never be replaced, but then MJ is easily replaceable?

Why is is that Elvis Presley and The Beatles are seen as these ''untouchable geniuses'' who can never be replaced, but then MJ is easily replaceable?

Well, there are lots of tacky Elvis impersonators, there was also an Elvis "hologram", so the same games are played with him.

I disagree about Elvis. There are millions of Elvis impersonators all over the world.

Well, there are lots of tacky Elvis impersonators, there was also an Elvis "hologram", so the same games are played with him.

Elvis was not "hologram". He was just inserted in TV show, like fake duet. And it ended up perfectly for TV audience.

Elvis was not "hologram". He was just inserted in TV show, like fake duet. And it ended up perfectly for TV audience.

And that's why I put it in quotation marks. Technically neither MJ or 2Pac were holograms either, it's just how people call those illusions. But this is besides the point I was making.

And that's why I put it in quotation marks. Technically neither MJ or 2Pac were holograms either, it's just how people call those illusions. But this is besides the point I was making.

Yeah, but MJ and 2Pac were same technology - illusions. Elvis was something completely different, no illusion - he was just inserted in TV performance from an old show.

Yeah, but MJ and 2Pac were same technology - illusions. Elvis was something completely different, no illusion - he was just inserted in TV performance from an old show.

Look up the word "illusion" in the dictionary. It's not a specific technology. An illusion can be reached in many ways. Elvis was an illusion as well, only created through a different trick.

I personally hope this fails miserably. If they would have presented it as a tribute show it would be different but they didn't.

Look up the word "illusion" in the dictionary. It's not a specific technology. An illusion can be reached in many ways. Elvis was an illusion as well, only created through a different trick.

OK, but you know what I meant. MJ and 2Pac were Pepper's ghost. Elvis was just copy-pasted on TV screen. There was no illusion at all for the people in studio audience. Only TV audience could see Elvis.

This is a disgrace, they should work with the estate on genuine projects rather than messing around with these shoddy impersonators.

It doesn't have to be Estate approved. There are tons of Michael Jackson Tribute shows. One was just performing here near Croatia. They only have to pay the royalties for the songs they played to Estate.

I'm not sure I understand how that works, so anyone can make stick the word "tribute" to what they're doing and they get a clear? I'm not trying to be a smartasss, I'm really asking, since they do make profit of Michael's name, image and "likeness" (promising people it would make up for missing the real thing - MJ). I always assumed they turn a blind eye to those fan tribute parties\events\concerts people do since it's not something u can really prevent (and why would they) but this project is a bit more than just that.

I'm also asking because the Estate's own projects are something that one may consider a tribute - meaning the Cirque projects but surely only the MJ estate can have such contract to a steady show\tours... this "legacy" thing seems to be at least wannabe-competing with ONE (Actually, with This Is It - LOL) so I'm a bit confused about why they don't need any kind approval but pay royalties (and how's that regulated?). :)

I'm not sure I understand how that works, so anyone can make stick the word "tribute" to what they're doing and they get a clear? I'm not trying to be a smartasss, I'm really asking, since they do make profit of Michael's name, image and "likeness" (promising people it would make up for missing the real thing - MJ). I always assumed they turn a blind eye to those fan tribute parties\events\concerts people do since it's not something u can really prevent (and why would they) but this project is a bit more than just that.

I'm also asking because the Estate's own projects are something that one may consider a tribute - meaning the Cirque projects but surely only the MJ estate can have such contract to a steady show\tours... this "legacy" thing seems to be at least wannabe-competing with ONE (Actually, with This Is It - LOL) so I'm a bit confused about why they don't need any kind approval but pay royalties (and how's that regulated?). :)

Really don't know how that works. Maybe Ivy can help, she always knows how the legal things work?

I know that they can't use Michael's name and image - they can't name the show "Michael Jackson - Legacy" and they can't use any photo, video or recorded music of MJ. But they can call it "Michael Jackson Tribute - Legacy" and play the songs live without any photos or videos of MJ. That is how I see it, maybe I'm wrong.

Basically they can't use anything that is copyrighted by Michael Jackson or his Estate.

Yes, but copyrighted are all the things they need in order to make this self-proclaimed "chance to see mj live if you haven't by now" anything near that pretentiousness (and yet, so very far).

Thanks for trying anyway... :)

I basically agree with everything said above...

And, if you want to "recreate" TII, at least use replicas of the real planned costumes (by Zaldy or Michael Bush which would have replaced the Zaldy ones that were not good enough). The TII we know was no dress rehearsal, the Jam outfit for example was just some random outfit he liked. The only ones I could see as a final costume were the black shirt for the Drill at Culver Studios and the blue/red TWYMMF, shiny gold throusers and shirt, green jacket when Michael is hugging people.

Why would he use costumes no one is really familiar with?

The upload date for the YT clip is January 2014.

Can anyone speak to the true status of this project?

you are correct. This is not technically new but the tour start is a new development.

This was first posted in 2012 - http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/121371-Legacy-tour and then announced around January 2014. If my memory isn't failing me there was even a discussion about this during the new MJ album waiting period. everyone was thinking Michael Prince and friends were working on MJ album and it would be called Legacy but then it turned out it was their tribute project. but don't quote me on this, it's been a while and I might be mixing up stuff.

edited to add: I found my post from March 2014 http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...sion/page181?p=3972745&viewfull=1#post3972745

If you check the facebook page you'll see this posted on October 6, 2014

To all my facebook friends my show The Legacy is now in business for bookings, many of you have been asking about the show and how and where can you see or book it, we had legal issues that had to be worked out which prolonged us from moving forward, but all has been resolved and we can open our doors for business

To me it shows they announced it around January. Estate had some legal issues with their tribute show. They talked about those, they resolved it and now they will start scheduling and doing the shows.

Anyone can cover MJ songs or do tributes to MJ. Like Onir said those are covered by royalty fees and most venues already pay royalty fees. The issue here is more like the use of MJ's name, image, likeliness for commercial gain. (You are right one time fan party isn't something that fits to this classification). In order to avoid these image and likeliness issues some of these tribute acts don't use "Michael Jackson" in their names such as "Michael Forever" or "The Legacy". Regardless it seems like Estate still has some image and likeliness issues and these commercial tribute shows experience legal issues with the Estate (I believe Thriller Live also had some issues). Given how they state such issues are resolved, I'm assuming they'll be paying a fee in addition to the royalties.

Last edited:
I think the point that was trying to be made is that although there are tons of Elvis impersonators you hardly ever hear language of Elvis being replaced by them or that they are just as good as the real thing. But yet you see this with MJ hologram promos, this legacy thing, and even the producers for Xscape.

(Eep my phone just refreshed and this is referring to the discussion going on a page ago Lol)

They can't use MJ's original clothes because Estate owns that clothes and this is not Estate approved project. It's just a random tribute show with an impersonator wearing clothes that he bought on ebay.

I see so that mean the Estate is not apart of this. I just really hate it when ppls just disrespect Michael do their know what his legacy is all about do their really know the man?

You can never replace MJ he was one of a kind there will never be another Michael Jackson.

from facebook -- oh my god! what did he do to his face???

10322484_356252067863984_2292902839738974727_n.jpg

They have prepared for it for a long time, but only unveiled the video link yesterday.

Back