MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE Huge Financial Gains Revealed (TMZ)

Vici

Proud Member
New documents reveal ... Michael Jackson was in such debt at the time he died, his Beatles catalog was almost valueless, but the Estate has worked nothing less than a financial miracle to right the ship.

The docs -- obtained by TMZ -- show that at the time Michael died, his net worth was around $50 million. Shockingly, the ATV Publishing Trust -- the Beatles catalog -- was valued at only $474,544. We're told the reason it was so low was because Jackson had borrowed around $300 million against it.

Now, fast forward to October, 2010 -- 15 months after MJ's death. The net value of MJ's estate -- under the leadership of the Executors -- swelled to $218,964,000. And get this ... that figure doesn't include $185 million the Estate paid out for loans, family allowances, interest, paying off the Hayvenhurst mortgage, etc.

There are no figures for the current value of the Estate, but sources say it's worth much more than the valuation in October, 2010.

Short story -- Michael could be entering Elvis territory.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/24/micha...g-trust-borrowed-money-elvis/#comments-anchor

Does his finances have to be so public all the time? I guess because i think it should be private for the most part.

it's public because it's probate process. they are required to file financial information with the court.

I wish tmz posted the documents

:perrinTMZ SHUT UP!!! WE JUST DON'T CARE OKAY!!! God, I'm so sick of yous right now.:perrin

the media is STILL not finished trying to make Michael look bad...this is no ones business...Michael's financial affairs should NOT be for public display. smdh

New documents reveal ... Michael Jackson was in such debt at the time he died, his Beatles catalog was almost valueless, but the Estate has worked nothing less than a financial miracle to right the ship.

The docs -- obtained by TMZ -- show that at the time Michael died, his net worth was around $50 million. Shockingly, the ATV Publishing Trust -- the Beatles catalog -- was valued at only $474,544. We're told the reason it was so low was because Jackson had borrowed around $300 million against it.

Are they just making that up or is it true? That figure doesn't sound right.

This website says that his net worth was $600 Million at the time of his passing: http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/michael-jackson-net-worth/

Last edited:
Timeline of Sony/ATV Music Publishing

1955 Lew Grade founds Associated Television (ATV).
1957 ATV acquires Pye Records as a wholly-owned subsidiary.
1957 ATV Music Publishing is created to exploit the songs owned by ATV.
1968 ATV Music and Lew Grade acquire the rights to the Lennon/McCartney song catalogue, Northern Songs.
1985 ATV Music Publishing and Pye Records are put up for sale. They are bought Robert Holmes à Court.
1985 ATV Music Publishing and it's assets, Pye Records and Northern Songs, are again put up for sale. Singer Michael Jackson acquires them for $47.5 million.
1995 Jackson merges ATV Music Publishing with Sony. He earns $90 million in the venture.
May 2001 Jackson declares that the Beatles' songs "will never be for sale".
November 2001 Sony/ATV Music Publishing acquires Tony Martin's Baby Mae Music catalogue of 600 songs.
July 2002 Sony/ATV Music Publishing buy country music publisher Acuff-Rose for $157 million. The venture includes publishing rights to 55,000 songs.
2007 Sony/ATV Music Publishing acquires Famous Music, a music publishing business with song catalogue of more than 125,000 songs.

++++++

The value of Sony/ATV Music Publishing has varied in reports. In 2002, Forbes magazine estimated Jackson's 50% stake in the company, along with other music publishing ventures, to be worth $450 million. The organisation was valued at $700 million in 2003. Industry experts valued the catalogue at between $600 million and $1 billion in 2004, based on the sales of rival catalogues. Charles Koppelman, a veteran music industry executive, stated that $1 billion was more reflective of Sony/ATV Music Publishing's worth. "Buyers would be lining up around the block if it were ever put up for sale", he said. "And I'd be in the front of the line." The value of the company was further estimated by Ryan Schinman, chief of Platinum Rye, to be $1.5 billion

In 2005, Jackson's defense attorney, Thomas Mesereau, revealed that the song catalogue had been valued at between $4 billion and $5 billion. The company's song catalogue is believed to generate up to $80 million a year; The Beatles' hits alone bring in $30 million to $45 million a year. Jackson's other publishing firm, Mijac, which publishes songs written by Jackson himself, is valued to be worth at least $75 million.

++++++

Mr. Jackson acquired the Beatles catalog in 1985 when he bought ATV Music for about $47 million from Australian tycoon Robert Holmes à Court. He sold a 50% stake in the business to Sony for $150 million in 1995. Sony also contributed its existing publishing business to the new venture, forming Sony/ATV.

Other collections include the country catalogs of Acuff-Rose and Tree Publishing. The company acquired the Acuff-Rose catalog (featuring classics from Hank Williams and Roy Orbison) in 2002 for $157 million from Gaylord Entertainment.

Sony/ATV expanded its business in 2007 with the acquisition of publisher Famous Music from Viacom. The deal was worth some $370 million, and added 125,000 songs and sound cues to Sony/ATV's catalog. Famous songs include classics such as 'Footloose,' 'Moon River,' and 'Take My Breath Away'.

The growing company also scored a hit when it acquired the catalogue of award-winning songwriters Jerry Leiber and Michael Stoller in 2007 for some $45 million. The Leiber Stoller catalogue contains more than 40 Top 40 hits, including "Stand By Me", "Poison Ivy", and "Love Potion #9", as well as several songs made famous by Elvis Presley ("Hound Dog", "Jailhouse Rock").

CEO Martin Bandier, formerly an executive at EMI Group, is leading a focus on Sony/ATV's most valuable asset, its collection of Beatles songs. The company had historically resisted licensing Beatles recordings for commercial use, but in 2008 Bandier announced that he favored licensing Beatles songs for things that haven't been licensed in the past -- under certain circumstances.

Sony/ATV licenses its songs for use in movies, television, and advertising and collects royalties for its songwriters. It has offices in about 40 countries.

"I want to clarify a silly rumor - the Beatles catalog is not for sale, has not been for sale and will never be for sale." ~ Michael Jackson 2001

The Michael Jackson catalog is wholly owned by Mr. Jackson, administered by Warner Chappell, on Sony Music labels, and is not a part of Sony/ATV.

++++++

Sony/ATV Music Publishing - The catalog has continued to acquire song catalogs into the 21st century and Sony-ATV is reportedly the fourth-largest music publisher in the world.

* Sony/ATV Music Publishing owns or administers more than 750,000 copyrights by such artists as The Beatles, Beck, Brooks & Dunn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Fall Out Boy, John Mayer, Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Linda Perry, Richie Sambora, Shakira, Diane Warren and Hank Williams, among others.
* Its growing current roster of chart-topping artists includes Akon, Sara Bareilles, the Jonas Brothers, Kenny Chesney, Flo Rida, Lady GaGa, Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift.
* Sony/ATV recently acquired both the Leiber Stoller and Famous catalogs.
* Sony/ATV Music Publishing was established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and trusts formed by Michael Jackson.
* Martin N. Bandier is Chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV Music Publishing.

For additional information, please go to: http://www.sonyatv.com

Mijac Music Publishing, includes Jackson's music as a solo artist as well as songs by other acts, including Sly & The Family Stone, Curtis Mayfield and Ray Charles. Jackson used the catalog as collateral for a $73 million loan. People close to Jackson estimated its worth at about $100 million, but it is difficult to place a current value on it because of the tremendous sales of Jackson's music in the 10 days since he died.

++++

Did You know that Michael Jackson owns more then 60 Elvis Presley songs through his joint venture with Sony?

Below You can find a full list of these songs:

AN AMERICAN TRILOGY (Mickey Newbury)
AND THE GRASS WON’T PAY NO MIND (Neil Diamond)
BIG BOSS MAN (Al Smith/Luther Dixon)
BOSSA NOVA BABY (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
BURNING LOVE (Dennis Linde)
DIRTY DIRTY FEELING (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
DON’T (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
DON’T CRY DADDY (Mac Davis)
FOOLS FALL IN LOVE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
FUNNY HOW TIME SLIPS AWAY (Willie Nelson)
GET BACK (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
HE IS MY EVERYTHING (Dallas Frazier)
HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Mae Boren Axton/Tommy Durden/Elvis Presley)
HELP ME (Larry Gatlin)
HEY JUDE (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
HOT DOG (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
HOW’S THE WORLD TREATING YOU (Chet Atkins/Boudleaux Bryant)
I CAN’T STOP LOVING YOU (Don Gibson)
I FEEL SO BAD (Chuck Willis)
I LOVE YOU BECAUSE (Leon Payne)
I WANT TO BE FREE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
IN THE GARDEN (Gordon Stoker/Neal Matthews)
IN THE GHETTO (Mac Davis)
IT’S A SIN (Fred Rose/Zeb Turner)
JAILHOUSE ROCK (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
JUST TELL HER JIM SAID HELLO (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
KING CREOLE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LAWDY MISS CLAWDY (Lloyd Price)
LITTLE EGYPT (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LONG TALL SALLY (Richard Penniman/Entoris Johnson/Robert Blackwell)
LOVE COMING DOWN (Jerry Chesnut)
LOVE LETTERS (Victor Young/Edward Heyman)
LOVE ME (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
LOVING YOU (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
MAKE THE WORLD GO AWAY (Hank Cochran)
MIRACLE OF THE ROSARY (Lee Denson)
NEVER AGAIN (Billy Edd Wheeler/Jerry Chesnut)
ONE NIGHT (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King/Anita Steiman)
RELEASE ME (Eddie Miller/Dub Williams/Robert Yount)
RIP IT UP (Robert Blackwell/John Marascalco)
SANTA CLAUS IS BACK IN TOWN (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SAVED (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SHE’S NOT YOU (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Doc Pomus)
STEADFAST, LOYAL, AND TRUE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
SUSPICIOUS MINDS (Mark James)
SWEET CAROLINE (Neil Diamond)
THAT’S WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGIN (Fred Fisher/Billy Hill/William Raskin)
THERE GOES MY EVERYTHING (Dallas Frazier)
TREAT ME NICE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
TROUBLE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
T-R-O-U-B-L-E (Jerry Chesnut)
TUTTI FRUTTI (Richard Penniman/Dorothy LaBostrie/Joe Lubin)
WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES (Joe South)
WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK (Russell Moody/Bert Carroll)
WELCOME TO MY WORLD (Ray Winkler/John Hathcock)
WITCHCRAFT (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King)
YESTERDAY (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
(YOU’RE SO SQUARE) BABY I DON’T CARE (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)

Michael owns Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift songs too? How huge is this catalogue?

marebear;3466527 said:

and many songs of Eminem, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber..., even several of U2 and Madonna.

so tmz what is the point of this story?

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

they gotta make some MJ headlines cause September is coming fast. smh

the media is STILL not finished trying to make Michael look bad...this is no ones business...Michael's financial affairs should NOT be for public display. smdh

once again. estate is in probate. they are supposed to report to the judge every 9 months, that's why these reports are public and media reports on them.

Are they just making that up or is it true? That figure doesn't sound right.

This website says that it was $600 Million at the time of his passing: http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/michael-jackson-net-worth/

net worth is value - debt. it's like if you sell everything today and pay the debt how much money will you have on hand. so you can see that his value was $450 M - $400M debt = $50 M. but obviously no one liquidates assets , they pay back debt over time. so actually estate will be building on what Michael had over time.

The Sony/ATV Catalog is one the biggest (if not the biggest) publishing companies in the world..According to wikipedia it owns and administers more than 500,000 song copyrights. It's a big big money generating asset for the estate.Also I believe all of Michael's songs that he wrote are apart of the catalog as well.

Here's a list on Wikipedia of the artists ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony/ATV_Music_Publishing_artists

The Sony/ATV Catalog is one the biggest (if not the biggest) publishing companies in the world..According to wikipedia it owns and administers more than 500,000 song copyrights. It's a big big money generating asset for the estate.Also I believe all of Michael's songs that he wrote are apart of the catalog as from a fairly recent deal.

Here's a list on Wikipedia of the artists ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony/ATV_Music_Publishing_artists

WIKI is not a reliable source and is not updated - SonyATV Music Publishing owns or administers more than 750,000 copyrights and its the fourth biggest publishing company... (somewhere, I think in the thread - MJ Bizbiz News on MJJC, I read its the third...)

WIKI is not a reliable source and is not updated - SonyATV Music Publishing owns or administers more than 750,000 copyrights

Yeah wikipedia isn't the most reliable and they don't update certain things but I just went there because it's quick to get some info :)

But yeah that number would grow because they acquire new publishing rights from different artists all the time

once again. estate is in probate. they are supposed to report to the judge every 9 months, that's why these reports are public and media reports on them.

yes I understand that..but how do you think Michael would feel if he knew his fans were discussing his financial situation...I doubt very highly he would want that ,,,otherwise HE would of made his business public record when he was alive. To me it feels as though every little inch of his life has been dissected since he has passed away...and I feel like somethings need NOT be discussed by us his fans..and that THIS is one of them, The media does enough digging ,..why do we have to also? thats all I am saying

Oh please, I doubt the catolog was almost valueless. Rich people borrow against what they own all the time. TMZ have to make out that the admin were these miracle workers who salvaged Michael from ruin. They could never be completely honest and give Michael credit for his business acumen, Oh no. How about learning to read documents correctly. Interesting how they always want to be the first to bring bad news.

yes I understand that..but how do you think Michael would feel if he knew his fans were discussing his financial situation...I doubt very highly he would want that ,,,otherwise HE would of made his business public record when he was alive. To me it feels as though every little inch of his life has been dissected since he has passed away...and I feel like somethings need NOT be discussed by us his fans..and that THIS is one of them, The media does enough digging ,..why do we have to also? thats all I am saying

For me, I think it's the way some media portrays it..They want to make people think as if he was horrible with his money and what not..When he wasn't. He was a genius businessman as well as artist.

If Michael were to have done This is it and future touring, he would make a ton of $..If he were to release some albums, he would make a ton of $...If he were to direct a film, he would make a ton of $..Michael had the potential of making an INFINITE amount of money, if he truly wanted to..But of course the media would never mention those things because that would not go together with the negative financial image that they want to portray..It's just an excuse for the media to report negativity when there is no reason to IMO.

Oh please, I doubt the catolog was almost valueless. Rich people borrow against what they own all the time.

It wasn't valueless. Even TMZ story is saying that it's net worth was 434K because there was 300M loan on it. It means it's value was 300.434.000 at minimum.

Once again they are reporting net worth (value - debt - any associated costs/fees) and not value.

The key lie in this sentence:

"The docs -- obtained by TMZ -- show that at the time Michael died, his net worth was around $50 million."

Many debts and a cash asset of only 50 million Dollars.....

WHO has given these documents to TMZ?
WHOM is so important shortly before the Murray process that Michael had only 50 millions on his account?

If we know who gave the documents to TMZ, we also know who wants to protect Murray.
Why should Murray be protected under all circumstances?

It wasn't valueless. Even TMZ story is saying that it's net worth was 434K because there was 300M loan on it. It means it's value was 300.434.000 at minimum.

Once again they are reporting net worth (value - debt - any associated costs/fees) and not value.
The value of the Sony/ATV catalog in the TMZ article doesn't make sense to me. How in the world could Michael get $300 million in loans on it if it was only worth $300,434,000? Somethings not adding up IMO. Doesn't TMZ usually publish the documents?

I'm quite sure that it's the probate documents which means that they get it from the court as it's filed.

and most probably they are calculating other cost elements such as taxes they need to pay as well. so it could be valued 500M but when you sell it and pay the loans on it, pay the tax on the sale etc you can be left with 434 K.

:evil::angry::puke:How physically ill does it make me to see TMZ anywhere in this Community..Honestly it makes me so sick to see TMZ has their money grabbing fangs into anything related to Michael seriously.
:puke::blink:.I don't care what happens in the news regarding Michael unless it respects him as I do..so as for TMZ as soon as I see their name on anything I already know it's worthy of lining my birdcage or setting a campfire with, that's all its good for truely, ok maybe one other use for it RECYCLING to make something of real USE !! I will pray that the sooner we stop talking about anything TMZ has decided to torture Michael Fans with,
the faster the inked-out SCUM of the earth TRAS-BLOID will cease to exist
I WON'T STOP HOPING TO SEE A WORLD WITHOUT TMZ !!

:puke::mat:::evil:

Last edited:
Back