Michael Jackson #1 Earner According To Forbes

Congratulations Michael, because you created greatness while you were alive we have this great legacy to follow.

not a surprise!i'm sorry he had to die so we appreciate his art again...anyway our love for the man and the singer is even stronger...every day...i hope he sees us from up there and smiles:)

It just goes to show how much he is missed.

Like in life, Michael beat 'all comers' after he sadly passed away.

I am old enough to remember the deaths of Elvis, Bob Marley, John Lennon, etc., and there has never been a reaction like that experienced towards MJ. His music legacy will, in time, surpass all others.

Hey Memefan, noticed that too eh.? Yeah 60 million every freaking year.!!!!

who says its 60 million EVERY year? A search states that since 2001 the amount varies from 35 million to last years 60 million in earnings.
I must say that 60 million is very impressive for a guy who has been dead for 33 (!) years.
I dont think MJ will be on the top list in 33 years......but will always be ahead of Elvis mainly
because of his recent death compared to Elvis.
33 years is a very long time........
Back to topic,Bittersweet news indeed....as mentioned by others.

how ironic of forbes. they acted like he didnt excist when he was here now suddenly hes number 1.

My housemate just came into my room to tell me this. I'm quite shocked to be honest, I always thought it would be Elvis.

I guess it just goes to show how popular Michael is; he's only been gone a year and a half and already he's overtaken all other stars that have passed. It's sad that it took his death to make him this popular...

obviously mj would be at the top when it only happened a year and half almost ago. it will continue while the estate are doing deals and making money. theres nothing to be made off elvis other than graceland and a few other stuff. in the years to come that will be the same for mj if somewhere is created once all the music etc that was left is released. *why the hell are we even talking about this *sigh*

The Rich Afterlife Of The King Of Pop

That article clearly shows the absurdity repeatedly written misleading the readers and news agencies about never-existing numbers and "facts"...., especially as for.... Sony/ATV!

I wonder how the so.called economic journalist (Zack O'Malley Greenburg) can write such nonsense like in this article without checking the facts!!!

They only repeat something they once read or heard before and they put it in their own mosaic...., again, to mislead the readers...., at least the authors are baffled....

Please, add your comments about that....[/QUOTE

AFTERLIFE????....what an idiot title. The only ones who will benefit truly will be his children and Michael lineage after his children. The media and it's irresponsible so called "journalist" can cover, diminish, falsey, fib, forge, manipulate, cover up, and LIE, all they want. When it comes to Michael there is no FACT checking it's riding the goissip train full speeed and throw what ever they want out for the American spoon fed. I say WHATEVER to the haters in high and low places. Michael will be forever in the pages of History as one of the greatest and hard working musicians. He changed the work whether they want to give him credit or not!

how ironic of forbes. they acted like he didnt excist when he was here now suddenly hes number 1.

I always wondered why he didn't make the list every year

now they care!

who says its 60 million EVERY year? A search states that since 2001 the amount varies from 35 million to last years 60 million in earnings.
I must say that 60 million is very impressive for a guy who has been dead for 33 (!) years.
I dont think MJ will be on the top list in 33 years......but will always be ahead of Elvis mainly
because of his recent death compared to Elvis.
33 years is a very long time........
Back to topic,Bittersweet news indeed....as mentioned by others.

Why not Michael? He passed away just an year ago. Why guessing?
We can make his legacy alive.

I guess it just goes to show how popular Michael is; he's only been gone a year and a half and already he's overtaken all other stars that have passed.

You have completely misunderstood how things work when a superstar dies a sudden death.
When a star like MJ dies suddenly people in general gets upset and wanna honor him by listening/buying albums and so on....and people that usually dont buy MJ stuff sudden do.
Same thing happened when princess Diana died in 97.....few weeks later Elton John released a tribute song and that single sold many million copies.....the record is still in guiness record book.
If Springsteen would die in a tragic way then he would sell cds,dvds,t-shirts ++ like never before......just like Michael.

You have completely misunderstood how things work when a superstar dies a sudden death.
When a star like MJ dies suddenly people in general gets upset and wanna honor him by listening/buying albums and so on....and people that usually dont buy MJ stuff sudden do.
Same thing happened when princess Diana died in 97.....few weeks later Elton John released a tribute song and that single sold many million copies.....the record is still in guiness record book.
If Springsteen would die in a tragic way then he would sell cds,dvds,t-shirts ++ like never before......just like Michael.

I have to disagree slightly.

I think that for fans, honouring Michael's death was a big part of it but for the rest of the public his death merely shot him back into the limelight and reminded everyone that he was there. If you were to ask a friend if they played Michael Jackson music when he died to honour him, I think the answer sadly, would be no.

I'm not saying that Michael was forgotten about before his death, but he was still not as popular with the public as he once had been. I hardly ever heard him on the radio or saw his short films on the music channels; once he died all this changed.

I do respect and see your view though, but I don't think I completely misunderstood what happened. It's a matter of opinion and in the world today it would be nice to think that people would have honoured Michael when he died, I think the reality though is slightly colder.

I think that for fans, honouring Michael's death was a big part of it but for the rest of the public his death merely shot him back into the limelight and reminded everyone that he was there. If you were to ask a friend if they played Michael Jackson music when he died to honour him, I think the answer sadly, would be no.

I'm not saying that Michael was forgotten about before his death, but he was still not as popular with the public as he once had been. I hardly ever heard him on the radio or saw his short films on the music channels; once he died all this changed.

I do respect and see your view though, but I don't think I completely misunderstood what happened. It's a matter of opinion and in the world today it would be nice to think that people would have honoured Michael when he died, I think the reality though is slightly colder.

Totally agree. All the coverage exposed his work again and aroused appreciation for it again. You've got 4 year olds now singing MJ. It's not in honor of him, but because they enjoy him.

I knew he would be Number one one day but Not this soon. I feel a depression coming on now. I am out.

That's a lot of money.

Hope he makes even more money next year with the new album coming and Vision and the game.

Michael Jackson: richest dead celeb
http://views.washingtonpost.com/on-...10/10/michael_jackson_richest_dead_celeb.html
I am still mourning Michael Jackson. It's been more than a year, but it still seems impossible that he is gone. I keep hoping that some enterprising journalist will discover him living on some remote Pacific island, hiding out from a world that was not always kind to him. I have this fantasy that his family has perpetrated this huge fraud--including employing some child actors to pretend to be his kids--to give him a chance to live a peaceful life.

Anyway, he is apparently richer now than he ever was alive, according to Forbes.com. The site lists Michael as the top earning-dead celebrity among several in the last year, including New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner and Elvis. MJ even made more than Oprah last year. I didn't think that was possible.

And, he's doing better than the two biggest living musical acts, as well. "Jackson not only took the No.1 spot on our 10th annual ranking of the Top-Earning Dead Celebrities, with gross earnings of $275 million, he out-earned the other 12 deceased stars on the list combined," the site said. "Still more impressive: His estate's 12-month haul was greater than the pooled earnings of this year's two biggest living acts, U2 and AC/DC."

Some of my money is included in that $275 million that makes up Michael's recent haul. I had his records and CDs from back in the day, but I supplemented my collection and bought the "This Is It" video and some T-shirts after he died. It was money well spent.

Michael was hoping for a reinvention. At a news conference announcing his "This Is It" tour, he told fans this was his last hoorah. That's why it was so sad that he died when he did. He never got a chance to reinvent himself. He has had several hoorahs since his death, including this one. Forbes.com said Michael was never named to the Forbes Celebrity 100 list while he was living, which also shocked me. I thought he was richer than anybody back in the days when anything that he recorded seemed to go platinum or gold.

It's so sad that we reached out to Michael in a big way only after he wasn't able to feel the love. As a fan, I wish he'd had a chance to see how popular he still is. I am comforted, though, in knowing that his children should be in a good financial place.

By Avis Thomas-Lester

This is insane. On one hand, it makes me happy that he's as popular as he is, but on the other, it makes my stomach turn...the whole "worth more dead than alive" phrase we heard so much last year keeps ringing in my ear...and people still try to argue that there would be no motive - in regards to the case...

Last edited:

MJ had a film in the can to remind the masses of his genius, why he stood alone with no peers. This will not happen again, ever.!!!

The estate has done extremely well but can I say its news that makes me happy? No, it just makes me even more sad as it reaffirms that he's gone. I was watching Surf's Up the other day and the character Big Z died a few years before and was majorly loved but in fact was living on the other side of the island. All I could think was 'I wish Michael was living on the other side of the island.' :(

Michael on ITV lunchtime news (UK)

The forbes story has just been reported on ITV news in a really positive way. Nice pictures used, 3 videos (bad and thriller and History tour footage)...they picked up on the earned more than Madonna, U2 Gaga and Jayz combined headline and also mentioned that Elvis has been pushed to 2nd place.

Was nice to see unbiased media report..but stil really sad of course.

Re: Michael on ITV lunchtime news (UK)

The forbes story has just been reported on ITV news in a really positive way. Nice pictures used, 3 videos (bad and thriller and History tour footage)...they picked up on the earned more than Madonna, U2 Gaga and Jayz combined headline and also mentioned that Elvis has been pushed to 2nd place.

Was nice to see unbiased media report..but stil really sad of course.

I also watched that, you're right, was very nice.

I recorded it on Sky+ but have no idea how to put that on YouTube so if anyone knows let me know =)

Re: Michael on ITV lunchtime news (UK)

I would like to see this , Thanks for sharing :)

Back