Michael Jackson #1 Earner According To Forbes

smooth_criminal05

Proud Member
According to an exclusive report just issued by Forbes, our man is #1 on the dead celebrities list for 2010.

Here are some highlights:

-Michael Jackson earned $275 million this year which makes him the #1 dead celebrity earner.

-Jackson made more money than the other 12 celebrities on the list COMBINED!

-Jackson was the #1 earner for ALL actors/singers dead or alive

-Jackson made more money than Lady Gaga, Jay Z, Beyonce, and Madonna COMBINED!

-Jackson was the 2nd biggest earner in the entire celebrity world, next to Oprah.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/mi...iness-entertainment-dead-celebs-10-intro.html

http://blogs.forbes.com/laceyrose/2...lady-gaga-beyonce-madonna-and-jay-z-combined/

Last edited:
Michael will always be #1 for an eternity, in every aspect :yes:

Last edited:
It would be huge news if Michael was still here. But thank you smooth.:)

Thanks for posting.

Great news, i agree. But more bittersweet than 'great'...

Thanks for posting.

Great news, i agree. But more bittersweet than 'great'...

Yeah, it's the of "dead celebrities" that stings. Almost a year and half after the fact, and it still hits anew at times.

It is great but yeah that makes me sad seeing his name and dead celebrities list. Just like last year when they showed at the Oscars "in memory" and then showed Michael. It doesn't feel right.

Wow, thanks for sharing. His enormous popularity this last year has provided some comfort, though still not enough to ease this tragic loss.

Yeah, agree about how it's hard to see dead celebrities. In the cold light of day, that really hurts.

I think everyone might like the title of this article better,
Perhaps the moderator can chang the title of your post to: :cheeky:

The Rich Afterlife Of The King Of Pop :agree:

Zack O'Malley Greenburg, 10.25.10, 3:00 PM ET

Over the past year Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Madonna and Jay-Z each each earned more than $50 million. But Michael Jackson earned more than all four--combined.

Fueled by a bonanza of interest following Jackson's death, his estate raked in $275 million over the past 12 months, by our estimates. That's more than enough to earn the King of Pop the top spot on our annual Dead Celebs list; in fact, it's more than the rest of the artists on the list put together, and more than any living artist or group.

"The cash flow on an annual basis is tremendous," says Donald David, an estate lawyer who handled the postmortem finances of rapper Tupac Shakur. "Sure, it's going to decline eventually, but it's going to be a huge amount in the foreseeable future. [Jackson's] kids are going to have grandkids before that money's gone."

The Gloved One's long-term earnings prospects in the afterlife have been bolstered by the deals arranged since his death. His estate received a $60 million advance for last year's film This Is It; sales of a Jackson-themed videogame, memorabilia and a re-released autobiography brought in an additional $50 million. The estate still owns the rights to Jackson's music, which took in nearly $50 million on heavy radio play and album sales over the past year. The funds have been used to put a significant dent into the roughly $500 million in debt Jackson left. (Aside: Has not been verified.)

There's more cash on the horizon for the Jackson estate: A deal with Sony Music to put out unreleased recordings will bring in another $200 million to $250 million over the next seven years. Adam Kluger, chief of product-placement outfit The Kluger Agency, expects new Jackson releases to include collaborations with popular artists like Akon and Will.i.am, both of whom worked with Jackson shortly before his death. He believes the current surge of interest in Jackson will prove sustainable.

"Michael Jackson will definitely have staying power for years to come," says Kluger. "There is a strong demand for Michael Jackson's music and merchandise, and that will only increase as more material surfaces in the years following his death."

Perhaps the most lucrative asset in Jackson's estate is a set of songs recorded by other artists. In 1985 Jackson made a brilliant financial move by shelling out $47.5 million to buy a catalog that included rights to 250 Beatles songs. Ten years later, crippled with personal debts he's incurred through extravagances--from $10,000-a-night hotel stays to Rolls Royce convertibles purchased as gifts for his lieutenants--(Aside: Elvis did this not Michael :smilerolleyes:)Jackson sold a 50% interest in the catalog to Sony for $90 million, forming a joint venture called Sony/ATV.

Today Jackson's estate still owns half the catalog,
which now contains half a million songs, including titles by Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Lady Gaga, Eminem and Beyoncé. Industry insiders estimate that the catalog throws off $50 million to $100 million per year, giving it a total value of about $1.5 billion. That means an annual $25 million to $50 million for the estate's coffers, on top of the considerable sums coming from Jackson's own music and merchandise.

"His earning potential will only increase year after year, as his legacy continues to be cemented," says Susan Blond, who served as Jackson's publicist during the Thriller days. "When our great-grandchildren are talking about music, it will be Michael Jackson over Elvis Presley."

http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/mi...10-jackson.html?boxes=businesschannellighttop
For full coverage of the 2010 Top-Earning Dead Celebrities list, click here.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://images.forbes.com/scripts/util/Transform.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>removeXmlTagContents( "name.given" );removeXmlTagContents( "name.family" );</SCRIPT>

Last edited:
I don't like Forbes they talked so much crap when he was alive knowing damn well he should have made the list more then once many times when he was living! But, they always talk about him loosing the catalog instead and that he should sell it! O_O Now, they kiss his ass! So yea thanks Forbes...I guess?!

Last edited:
Michael Jackson never graced Forbes' annual Celebrity 100 list during his life. In death, the King of Pop earned more in the past year than any star on that list, apart from Oprah Winfrey.

Never??? One can wonder WHY!!!!

Forbes is TOTAL BS!!!

at least during Bad, Dangerous and HIStory Tours Michael earned tens of millions of dollars, but Forbes never listed him....???

Bad, Dangerous and HIStory albums made for Michael other tens of millions of dollars.... and Forbes never listed him????

well this would be something to cheer for but well not under these kind of circumstances. as long as it benefits his kids he'd be happy i guess.

The Rich Afterlife Of The King Of Pop

That article clearly shows the absurdity repeatedly written misleading the readers and news agencies about never-existing numbers and "facts"...., especially as for.... Sony/ATV!

I wonder how the so.called economic journalist (Zack O'Malley Greenburg) can write such nonsense like in this article without checking the facts!!!

They only repeat something they once read or heard before and they put it in their own mosaic...., again, to mislead the readers...., at least the authors are baffled....

Please, add your comments about that....

Last edited:
MJ was on forbes 100 celebrity list several times. Clearly remember reading my mom's old forbes mag and that year MJ was # 4 on the list with 93 million. Don't trust forbes at all. During the rough times they were talking about his earnings and never mentioned atv or mijac.

The fact that MJ out earned Gaga, Beyonce, Madonna, and Jay Z combined is just unreal! And then beating the other 12 dead celebrities combined as well, wow. MJ is just so huge.

I believe Forbes has two celebrity lists - one for the top earners of the year (fully based on income) and the other one is for the most powerful celebrities (based on income and media visibility in other words tv, radio, web rank).

I think they didn't list Michael in any of their most powerful celebrities list simply because that they have only been doing that list since 1999. But he should be on the older and just earnings based lists.

I find it suspicious that Elvis' estate earns 60 Mill ever year. Very suspicious!!

apparently he does. Elvis Presley Enterprises releases their annual earnings statements publicly.

so in 2009 they had
$24.5 M from loyalties and licencing
$36.7 M from Graceland visitors
which adds to 60M

and there's other stuff like cirque de soleil show etc. and btw Lisa Marie only owns 15% of this enterprise. She sold 85% of it to a private company in 2005.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2010/03/15/daily6.html

I believe Forbes has two celebrity lists - one for the top earners of the year (fully based on income) and the other one is for the most powerful celebrities (based on income and media visibility in other words tv, radio, web rank).

I think they didn't list Michael in any of their most powerful celebrities list simply because that they have only been doing that list since 1999. But he should be on the older and just earnings based lists.

apparently he does. Elvis Presley Enterprises releases their annual earnings statements publicly.

so in 2009 they had
$24.5 M from loyalties and licencing
$36.7 M from Graceland visitors
which adds to 60M

and there's other stuff like cirque de soleil show etc. and btw Lisa Marie only owns 15% of this enterprise. She sold 85% of it to a private company in 2005.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2010/03/15/daily6.html

Thank you Ivy. I heard Graceland wasn't included in the deal.

So, LMP &co only have 26 years left to exploit the Elvis catalogue (Elvis died 33 years go, and copyrights expire 70 years following an author's death) . After that his songs will become public domain right?

I believe they didn't list Michael in any of their most powerful celebrities list simply because that they have only been doing that list since 1999. But he should be on the older and just earnings based lists.

Ms Ivy, you are correct as usual. Not at all impressed with the latter list. The tabloid celebrities always rank higher than ligitimate talent that earns way more.

Back