John Branca Interview - talks about MJ and Estate

^^

30 days to file a will with the court or give it to the executor listed in the will. 120 days is the time to object to it.

and yes any will would have at least a lawyer and 3 witnesses plus executors knowing about it.

so just peter lopez knowing or having the will wouldn't happen, it's just a theory or wishful thinking IMO.

The director said he would have "J5" on the show. I hope he was talking about a small tribute.

The opposite. Jamie King says this is not abaout J5 and their music, it is only the MJ-catalog. Sure a few notes of J5.

The opposite. Jamie King says this is not abaout J5 and their music, it is only the MJ-catalog. Sure a few notes of J5.

Besides, just because his family are jerks doesn't mean their music wasn't good. Even hardcore Michael fans like the J5 songs and it is part of his history, for better and worst.

Mr. Branca was not a poor man in the 6/25/2009. And he was also not without clients.
Mr. Branca would also be not a poor man if he would not an executor of Michael's testament.

Why he should go as a lawyer (!) crooked ways to become an executor of Michaels testament? He cannot permit himself such a thing: He would ruin his good call and his professional reputation.

I have read the interview (Thanks, Ivy!).

I did not note arrogance with Mr. Branca there.
What I was noted: A person is proud of his achievements in the occupation. And Branca, I think, has all right of the world to be proudly on the results in his occupation!

What I also ascertained: Although it was an interview for a juridical technical periodical Mr. Branca spoke with warmth and with great respect of Michael Jackson.

If I have a look at the row of many "friends" who had to tell the press urgently something after Michael's death suddenly and this compares to Mr. Branca, I come to the end:

Maybe Mr. Branca was even the only real friend Michaels.

And maybe Michael also has known this always ----and, nevertheless, heard on the whisper of Geffen and Wiesner.
Why? Maybe, because:
A hypersensitive artist's soul reacts sometimes differently than "normal" people.

I hope very much that Mr. Branca still long the strength will have to administer Michael's last will. Unfortunately, his opponents take very much from this strength.

Last edited:
Besides, just because his family are jerks doesn't mean their music wasn't good. Even hardcore Michael fans like the J5 songs and it is part of his history, for better and worst.

I have not said that the J5-music is jerk. But it is fact that the cirque-show is only from the Michael catalog and just a few notes of the J5. For me it is so ok.

hey I have 2 questions

MJ does own his whole catalog right? and its the 2nd best selling catalog behind the beatles?

hey I have 2 questions

MJ does own his whole catalog right? and its the 2nd best selling catalog behind the beatles?

Yeah he owned his entire catalog, now the estate owns it..I'm not entirely sure about any specific numbers, but obviously his catalog has and always will have massive sales..

I am not a Branca fan. Not anymore and cannot rally around him.

Also, the problem with people running the estate who are so technically inclined is that we get products that are technical with no emotion behind them. We get products that are good from a business and law standpoint but that are terrible artistic endeavors. Of course when the artistry are in the hands of someone else who knows what they are doing and coupled with an outstanding partner with tremendous business acumen, we get quality products.

I am not saying the Estate should be out of Branca's hands (because I don't know of anyone else that could run it...definitely not the Jacksons) but knowing business and knowing art are two different things. This is where Branca falls short.

Well thats what mclain is for. Branca is the biz side

Also, the problem with people running the estate who are so technically inclined is that we get products that are technical with no emotion behind them. We get products that are good from a business and law standpoint but that are terrible artistic endeavors. Of course when the artistry are in the hands of someone else who knows what they are doing and coupled with an outstanding partner with tremendous business acumen, we get quality products.

I am not saying the Estate should be out of Branca's hands (because I don't know of anyone else that could run it...definitely not the Jacksons) but knowing business and knowing art are two different things. This is where Branca falls short.

Perhaps you should blame John Mclain too. he's apparently a music executive. so he's got more music background than Branca. plus, the way the management of the Estate is structured : Branca handles the legal and business stuff. while John Mclain deals plainly with music. I am just guessing here based on the public news and developments.

@elusive Well then that is an epic fail. If the artistry we got from McClain so far is any indication, then I say no thank you and will be very happy with what I have so far or with projects like Cirque where they are not the main artisitc forces. That Branca cannot step in and yet allowed something that was released last year to be released as it was, as well as their actions as of late, took the wind out of my sails when it comes to supporting them.

I don't care how many people he has managed. I am sure he is quite spectacular at it. I don't care how many F bombs you can drop or how outgoing you are or how no nonsense you are. I am looking at the final product. The decisions that backed that has left me dumbfounded. I don't have to understand them. But I don't have to support them either. And, I don't.

I am glad Branca could turn the Estate around monetarily. I applaud him for that. But profitability is only one side of the Estate.

^^^Also, I most definitely blame McClain as well, but since this thread is about Branca, of course my post will focus on him.

@elusive Well then that is an epic fail. If the artistry we got from McClain so far is any indication, then I say no thank you and will be very happy with what I have so far or with projects like Cirque where they are not the main artisitc forces. That Branca cannot step in and yet allowed something that was released last year to be released as it was, as well as their actions as of late, took the wind out of my sails when it comes to supporting them.

I don't care how many people he has managed. I am sure he is quite spectacular at it. I don't care how many F bombs you can drop or how outgoing you are or how no nonsense you are. I am looking at the final product. The decisions that backed that has left me dumbfounded. I don't have to understand them. But I don't have to support them either. And, I don't.

I am glad Branca could turn the Estate around monetarily. I applaud him for that. But profitability is only one side of the Estate.

^^^Also, I most definitely blame McClain as well, but since this thread is about Branca, of course my post will focus on him.

I agree 100%. There is a disconnect between the product and the artistry. The fiasco of the last album is a case in point. Not to mention the subsequent music videos. they were dreadful to say the least. Hope, they can really consult with some great artists and visionaries in the industry for future products. I personally wished LA Reid was one of the executors. he's got great sense of artistry. and has really helped develop the career of many artists from Maria Carey to JZ when he was heading Def Jam at Universal. He's now moved to Sony as head of Epic Records. Maybe there is some hope after all as he'll be working with the Estate for future releases.

Here, here to that! Let's hope really hard and maybe it will happen. :)

In my opinion, the best thing since 2009 was the return of Captain EO, but this was not done by the Estate.

"This Is It" was a good thing for Michael's legacy, but I'm not sure if MJ would want that movie.

The success of the 'game' is huge too and i love watch people playing it, but I did not like the way they did it.

And we have "Michael", destroyed by fans, family and Estate.

But I think if Cirque project goes well, all will be forgiven. We're talking about one of the greatest tributes to the genius of MJ that someone might think. I hope it works.

But, whatever happens, we have to thank God. In the end, the family does not control the empire.

but usually, as far as I understand this issue, quite a lot of people are involved in preparing a will. there are lawyers. plus there are potential executors of the will (I think when a person wants to appoint someone for this position he discusses it with them first to make sure they want to do it.... ) and there are witnesses to the signing of the will. even if Peter Lopez had a copy there should have been more people who knew about it...

Besides, to present a new will you usually have a period of 120 days. Peter Lopez died in May 2010. And 120 days from June 25 2009 is the end of October 2009. he had time to file a will if he had one....

that's what I think about it...

Yes I know. I just answered a question, people do think Lopez had something to do with it. I'm not one of those people.

Well, don't you think MJ knew this. Branca has always been a businessman. MJ knew him as such..and he chose him. So, I am nit sure I understand your argument.

MJ also chose John McClain for a reason.... Why do people feel they know more than Michael Jackson? He wrote his will, he chose these people knowing their strengths & weaknesses....that's why he had a lawyer/businessman, a music industry insider and an accountant listed as executors.

Branca had no involvement (aside from business) in the making of the Michael CD...but McClain did. See a pattern...?

In my opinion, the best thing since 2009 was the return of Captain EO, but this was not done by the Estate.

I am pretty sure the estate had a say in this.

And people need to remember Branca and McClain are not Michael Jackson. The person who can give you the passion you are looking for is gone. It is there job to make money for his estate not to make you feel good

And people need to remember Branca and McClain are not Michael Jackson. The person who can give you the passion you are looking for is gone. It is there job to make money for his estate not to make you feel good

I agree. It doesnt matter if we like Branca or not. So far, he's doing a great job, and it's all I care about.

Well, don't you think MJ knew this. Branca has always been a businessman. MJ knew him as such..and he chose him. So, I am nit sure I understand your argument.

MJ also chose John McClain for a reason.... Why do people feel they know more than Michael Jackson? He wrote his will, he chose these people knowing their strengths & weaknesses....that's why he had a lawyer/businessman, a music industry insider and an accountant listed as executors.

Branca had no involvement (aside from business) in the making of the Michael CD...but McClain did. See a pattern...?

The only pattern I see is that we have two sides to a business. if you can tell me that Branca has no say so whatsoever on what comes out artistically, then your point would be valid. It is not because I am sure that while Branca yields to McClain, they have to come to some sort of an agreement. Therefore, when a product fails, it is both executors who take the blame. The product released last year was a bad decision whether looked at artistically or business wise. It was just wrong.
I do not think I know MJ or what is best, I don't know how you made that huge leap. Branca might have been so chosen by MJ. So what? Does that mean they can never make a mistake? Does that mean everything they do will go right? Of course not. I don't understand the correlation between me not liking a product someone released and me thinking I know more than them overall. I know what I like and I know what I will buy. If that last album was an indication of his "genius" business sense, than I simply say no thankyou. And that's just fine. Everyone has to make a decision of what they will personally support and what is deemed acceptable to them.

Excuse me, but they make money for the Estate by making me feel good. That is the whole point of a consumer relationship. If you are not selling what someone needs, then you have to make the sale based on what someone wants. If someone is not going to part from their money out of want, your business fails and you make no money. If I don't feel good and will not buy your product, your business will fold.

I agree. It doesnt matter if we like Branca or not. So far, he's doing a great job, and it's all I care about.

For you he has done a good job. For me he has not been so stellar. It doesn't matter if I like Branca or not, I am a fan of MJ. If I think they have represented MJ correctly, I will buy it regardless of whether or not I like that person. Some may not be able to separate the two, but I can, and I do. My arguments against Branca has not been whether I like him or not. As I said before, I look at the finished product.

I think the estate is doing a fine job, Lord only knows what would have happened if the family had been left in charge.

The only pattern I see is that we have two sides to a business. if you can tell me that Branca has no say so whatsoever on what comes out artistically, then your point would be valid. It is not because I am sure that while Branca yields to McClain, they have to come to some sort of an agreement. Therefore, when a product fails, it is both executors who take the blame. The product released last year was a bad decision whether looked at artistically or business wise. It was just wrong.
I do not think I know MJ or what is best, I don't know how you made that huge leap. Branca might have been so chosen by MJ. So what? Does that mean they can never make a mistake? Does that mean everything they do will go right? Of course not. I don't understand the correlation between me not liking a product someone released and me thinking I know more than them overall. I know what I like and I know what I will buy. If that last album was an indication of his "genius" business sense, than I simply say no thankyou. And that's just fine. Everyone has to make a decision of what they will personally support and what is deemed acceptable to them.

Excuse me, but they make money for the Estate by making me feel good. That is the whole point of a consumer relationship. If you are not selling what someone needs, then you have to make the sale based on what someone wants. If someone is not going to part from their money out of want, your business fails and you make no money. If I don't feel good and will not buy your product, your business will fold.

For you he has done a good job. For me he has not been so stellar. It doesn't matter if I like Branca or not, I am a fan of MJ. If I think they have represented MJ correctly, I will buy it regardless of whether or not I like that person. Some may not be able to separate the two, but I can, and I do. My arguments against Branca has not been whether I like him or not. As I said before, I look at the finished product.

You said they lack passion for what they do. Well that passion was a passion that only Michael could give you. So you want them to be like Michael well guess they can't be like Michael because they are not Michael. I hope you did not expect it to be that way but if you did I am sorry to tell you that was setting yourself up for a let down.

Why would you think the Estate has a say in re-launching Captain EO? I thought Disney has the right to Captain EO. Does the Estate own Captain Eo? Care to share?

Not exactly right. It is actually the Estate's job to safeguard Michael Jackson's legacy - that includes releasing products that live up to his artistic legacy. As Ginvid mentioned above, making money and making fans feel good go hand in hand. The long term prosperity of the Estate depends on the quality of products they released. If the quality of products are not good, fans don't feel good, then the future profitability of the Estate will diminish.

You said they lack passion for what they do. Well that passion was a passion that only Michael could give you. So you want them to be like Michael well guess they can't be like Michael because they are not Michael. I hope you did not expect it to be that way but if you did I am sorry to tell you that was setting yourself up for a let down.

Ginvid did not say they lack passion for what they do. And, I think it is helpful to stop assuming fans demand the same level of genius that only Michael could give us. We know no one can replicate the magic created by Michael. The producers tried hard to do that with the album released last year and they failed.

Just because Michael is gone doesn't mean that we should have zero expectation. There is always room for improvement. If you are happy with all the official releases, good for you. For those of us who don't, we can let our opinons heard as well.

And fans also need to remember he left Branca and McClain in charge not fans. And while we are on the topic what exactally is it that is lacking for you and giinvid? If you don't mind sharing

And fans also need to remember he left Branca and McClain in charge not fans. And while we are on the topic what exactally is it that is lacking for you and giinvid? If you don't mind sharing

And fans are aware that Michael chose Mr. Branca and Mr. McClain. I respect that. As I mentioned, I actually have a lot respect for Mr. Branca. I think he's a brilliant lawyer. But, it doesn't mean I like every decision he has made. It doesn't mean Mr. Branca can do no wrong. Like Ginvid said, I'm able to separate the two - Mr. Branca as Estate Admin and the products okayed by him. Whether I like Mr. Branca is irrelevant. I'm not going to have lunch or dinner with him. But, whether I like the products they release is totally relevant.

Your right you don't have to like everything they do. To honest I did not care for that Opus book never bought a copy. I just think that some fans expect things to be as it was when Michael was alive and that is jut setting yourself up for a let down.

I found a interview with Branca from 2007. Very nice.

February 20th, 2007 / source: www.michaeljackson.hu
Brand New Interview With John Branca
MichaelJackson.hu conducted an exclusive interview with the most respectable lawyer in the music business. But John Branca is more then that. On a personal note: he is a kind person.
20. Februar 2007/ Quelle: www.michaeljackson.hu

MichaelJackson.hu führte mit dem hochgeachteten Anwalt des Musicbusiness ein exklusiv-Interview.

- Do You consider Yourself as a Michael Jackson fan in any ways? Have You been impressed by his music and arts? When and how did You meet with him?
I've always been a Michael Jackson fan. I began working with Michael in January of 1980 just after the release of "Off The Wall". I'm not sure there's been anybody in the history of popular music who can combine Michael's supreme talents as a singer, performer, songwriter and producer.

Have You ever been on a Michael Jackson concert?
I have been to many dozens of Michael Jackson concerts, perhaps as many as 100. While I was working with Michael, I often traveled with him. I was at the "Triumph" tour in 1980, the "Victory" tour in 1984, the "Bad" tour in 1988 and the European tour in 1993.

You were the one who helped Michael to create the most sucsessful music video ever. What do You feel when You see the "Thriller" video?
I was integrally involved in helping Michael do the "Thriller" video, not on a creative level but in putting the financial arrangements together that helped make it possible. Michael had a unique vision and was a real pioneer in music videos as an art form. I think "Thriller" to this day is the best music video, or as Michael would say, "short film" ever. It was simple and yet fantastic, complex and yet direct.

If you look back, what do You consider as the greatest thing in Your career?
Working with Michael not only on the "Thriller" album but in helping him acquire the Beatles catalog and the merger with Sony, as well as getting Michael the ownership of his masters, are among the accomplishments I am most proud of from my work with Michael. I also helped Michael make the two Pepsi deals which pioneered modern commercial tie-ins for artists.

As it's been widely reported in the media, You are no longer working with Michael. How could this happen?
Although I am not currently working with Michael, I wish him well and would certainly help him in any way I could if he asked. I believe Michael has a lot of great music and performances in him.

What's next for You? Where can we hear about you in the future?
I've been fortunate my practice is thriving. I've represented 29 members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thus far. I'm also representing a number of very important current artists in the industry. But I always felt I had a very special connection with Michael and I look forward to seeing him again soon. In some ways I look upon him as a brother.

I haven't read every comment, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone.

I'm not sure what to think of Branca. Maybe I should try not to have an opinion about him. What I do know is that I'm glad the family isn't in charge. Just think what of a mess that would have been.

Lord only knows what would have happened if the family had been left in charge.

:fear:

And I am not able to imagine the mess that would be....
www.MessenTools.com-Humor-pelos-locos.gif
kermit.gif

Back