Is Music Today Really THAT Bad?

Yeah, it's bad, but not so bad to the point where I won't listen. A lot of songs out now aren't meant for you to think about or take seriously, they're a bunch of party tracks. They keep throwing them at us b/c it's what sells. If that dirty south and snap garbage stopped selling, Soulja Boy wouldn't be yelling "Bird Walk" right now. I realize it's white suburban teenage boys who listen to that ish, but it's what's making money and money is all that matters.
There was "party" music in the past. It was made by Huey Lewis and the News, Bar-Kays, KC and the Sunshine Band, Lisa Lisa, Kool and the Gang, Bohannon, Van Halen (Roth era), Funkadelic, etc. It was still actual music.

Hmm. I think there've always been both good and bad stuff in mainstream, and good and bad stuff out of mainstream. Is it generally worse nowadays in mainstream, yes it is, but I don't frankly care about it, because I also think there are much more variety in music out of the mainstream nowadays and to me that is what counts.

Hmm. I think there've always been both good and bad stuff in mainstream, and good and bad stuff out of mainstream. Is it generally worse nowadays in mainstream, yes it is, but I don't frankly care about it, because I also think there are much more variety in music out of the mainstream nowadays and to me that is what counts.
very much agree here. the net's been a blessing and a curse for both fans and professionals alike.

Music in the UK is great!!!! IMO Anyway.

Theres alot of great stuff atm.

Have a listen to Kings Of Leon, there new album is great!

his latest is really just a throwback album, clearly influenced by Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. I was really disappointed. Don't get me wrong- I love RT, but his latest effort sounds lazy. You're right though- )it's probably my expectations of what the album was going to be-) I have very high expectations of RT, because he is different to the Ushers and Jt's of the pop world.

You know what? You are right about that. "Magic" sounds like something from the 1970s and even though the R&B music of that time were great tracks, it should stay there. I was really hoping in a sense that he applied that concept into his CD and make it more modern. I was really hoping that he did that. Like he did with his last effort, "The Evolvtion to Robin Thicke". Those songs on there were very good. He is very different from those guys and that is why I like him as well.

I wanna know what happened to it as well- there was a time when the top 40 was good- actually several times in the last 10 years... and mainstream pop / R&B even rock has taken a few steps back and is being so dumbed down right now.

Ten years ago was the last time that I feel the radio was worth listening to. From there to now, it slowly became lamer and lamer. Now, I do not even listen to the radio for the music but for the talk. If I have to listen to the radio, it would be on the soft rock stations or classic soul and R&B stations. I cannot stand mainstream pop and R&B. I listen to a few people and then go to another station. I am tired of the same songs being played every two darn hours. LOL. For what? It sucks.

But that's where we have to look outside the box and search for the good music that's out there- coz there is plenty of it.

Thanks Bee

Exactly. We have to be open minded and the Internet is a great way to start. You are welcome, Marni.

I hope she can take some time off and then come back in a few years with a brand new album that sounds like a mildly updated version of "Rhythm Nation". IMO she should get back with Jam and Lewis.

I have to agree. I would love for her to work with Jam and Lewis and make it hot again. She still can do that. No offense to Jermaine Dupri, but I really didn't like the fact that he produced most of her music since he has been with her. He didn't really bring the best out of her. However, you made a great point.

I don't think it's a good ideal to always rely on the "hot" producers of the era (year,day,whatever) to give them what they need. Expand your creativity, artistry, experiment. Look deeper into music.

I agree. I would like it if some of these artists, if they are serious about creating great work, find producers that want the same thing. Not producers that are overrated and steal other people's work.

In Michaels 1988 grammy performance, you see Prince, Stevie and Anita Baker in the audience. To think those peopl were considered mainstream at the time? I realy wish I was as old as I am now during that time! The Grammys these days have T-pain and the likes being nominated for Best male vocalist! Its sick times we live in realy..

Bolded part: Isn't that awesome? Real artists. Things have really changed. The fact that T-Pain won an BMI Urban award just bothers me. I really can't see how T-Pain is even a vocalist to be even nominated for the so called "established" Grammys. These award shows are losing their credibility when they try to award terrible talent. It just bothers you to a core.

music today is almost made from the same mould, noone stands out like they used too, there will never be another Tina Turner, there will never be another Ray Charles and there will certainly be no rat pack nor King of Pop Michael Jackson ever again. Todays culture is almost all pop, Timbaland is the hit thing, everything is produced like him, we have too many followers and not enough people paving the path for future artists.

There was "party" music in the past. It was made by Huey Lewis and the News, Bar-Kays, KC and the Sunshine Band, Lisa Lisa, Kool and the Gang, Bohannon, Van Halen (Roth era), Funkadelic, etc. It was still actual music.
Well, point being, if what's out today didn't sell, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That was some great music too.

So I don't repeat what's been said, I'll just quote who I agree with and their points.

mainstream-wise, yes it is that bad. i can think of only two massive successes that have truly deserved it the past couple of years: Amy Winehouse and Coldplay.

when people say "music today" they mean mainstream because most of the public aren't going to go hunting and digging for it - we've been conditioned to have it handed on a plate for us from big labels with massive marketing budgets, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if they'd take risks and introduce more creative artists.

try to make as objective a comparison as you can from previous decades, and you'll see how badly we've had it in this "era".

having said that, there are thousands of awe-inspiring acts from different backgrounds today that haven't got their deserved breaks.

The quote in red ^^ I'll address at the end with someone else's post.

I agree. Music of all genres ain't dead it's just what the mainstream is repping that is so bad that people think that's all there is to it, lol.

I haven't listened to the radio (on purpose) since 1990 or 91, so I don't know what's popular. If I do happen to have the radio on, I turn on the oldies station mostly or sometimes the 80s hits, adult R&B, classic rock, or jazz (not the smooth jazz one, lol) stations. The only time I hear current stuff is if I'm in a car with somebody or someone has it on at work. I listen mostly to old music and very few newer acts.

Same here. I rarely listen to the radio and I alternate between the same stations you mentioned. Everytime I've landed on a Pop station, by accident, I pretty much couldn't wait to switch to another station. The only time I hear Hip Hop is when I watch VHI Soul on cable. Some of it is listenable, and some of it makes me want to turn the station like mainstream Pop.

Yes, yes it is. The mainstream stuff these days is horrendous- noone is an artist anymore, they are all popstars or hitmakers.

I think that's where Robin went wrong though- his latest is really just a throwback album, clearly influenced by Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. I was really disappointed. Don't get me wrong- I love RT, but his latest effort sounds lazy. :( You're right though- )it's probably my expectations of what the album was going to be-) I have very high expectations of RT, because he is different to the Ushers and Jt's of the pop world.

I wanna know what happened to it as well- there was a time when the top 40 was good- actually several times in the last 10 years... and mainstream pop / R&B even rock has taken a few steps back and is being so dumbed down right now. :mello:

But that's where we have to look outside the box and search for the good music that's out there- coz there is plenty of it. :yes:

Thanks Bee :D

I kinda agree with you about Robin Thicke. Like Bee, I thought the rest of the CD would be like Magic, which was like a modernized throwback to me. I LOVE that song. It has that old school vibe while being very current. However, a lot of the CD sounds like a blast from the past. It's missing the "magic" of the first single. There's some good tunes on the CD but I was expecting more as well. After the 3rd listen, I could groove to it more, but I agree with you and Bee's assessment all the way. The last CD was much better/modern.

Yes, there is still some good music about. But even then it doesn't make me feel the way music used to make me feel, and I think a lot of people feel that way today including people who were not around or old enough to enjoy music from the 80s etc when it first came out.

Couldn't have said it better. SOMETHING is missing from a lot of today's music. It's almost cold and soul-less to me (some of it, at least). I'm not sure if that has to do with relying so much on computerized sounds as opposed to real instruments where you can FEEL the emotion of the peopele playing them...or what? Maybe that's why Alicia Keys' music is so pure, becuz she actually PLAYS her piano. No computer can generate that purity that comes from a person actually blowing a horn or going at those piano keys. There's vocal emotion and instrumental emotion. I dunno...but something, a certain essence is defo lacking. In the past 8 years there's been a few songs that had that vibe for me, but it's like water in the desert. And some of it, IF it makes you feel something, it's only for a short time, and then nothing...whereas a Motown song from the 60's/70's can STILL evoke some kind of feeling decades later. Go figure.

In Michaels 1988 grammy performance, you see Prince, Stevie and Anita Baker in the audience. To think those peopl were considered mainstream at the time? I realy wish I was as old as I am now during that time! The Grammys these days have T-pain and the likes being nominated for Best male vocalist! Its sick times we live in realy..

I think this is the problem. There's a saying about once you've had the good life, it's hard to go back to being poor? Music is like this for me. Becuz things were so varied and top notch for years, it's so hard to accept the mediocrity that's taken over. Remember, during that same year, we had people like George Michael and Terrence Trent D'arby, Bon Jovi, LL Cool J, Phil Collins ALL out at the same time in the top 40 at the top of their game. The Bee Gees even staged a comeback. WHY can't things be that varied AND top notch again, I will never know. :weeping:

Spot on. :flowers:

Well, point being, if what's out today didn't sell, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Back to arXter's point earlier, I think the reason the "mainstream" stuff is selling is becuz the non-mainstream stuff is being suppressed and unpromoted by mainstream radio. If the non-mainstream stuff was given more airplay or exposure, MAYBE people would take interest and it would sell just as well. Think about it, even artists like Celine Dion, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston are relegated to Adult Contemporary stations now. They're lucky if they can get that mainstream Pop hit being as they are mature artists now and can't be singing about grinding in the club and whatnot. Mainstream won't touch them UNLESS there's a T-Pain or some ish attached to them...and even then it can be tough. And that's where the problem lies, imo. It's mainstream radio and record executives with too much control over what mainstream is exposed to in huge doses. It's a shame that if Whitney has a good song, a Pop station might not play her anymore becuz they only have slots for the Britney types. And some R&B stations won't play her becuz they only have slots for the Ciara types. How many hits has Madonna had from Hard Candy on pop radio? And she had to do the first single with Timberlake to get that bit of exposure. It could be a case of what came first? The chicken or the egg? Are ppl buying the music radio exposes them to the most OR is radio playing the music they think people want to buy the most? Maybe if they just played ALL the music that fits their format (instead of the same 10 -15 artists in rotation over and over again) they MIGHT be surprised at by what people are drawn to or enjoy. It's a matter of someone deciding to take the risk.

Finally, I do agree that the internet has been a blessing in not only discovering new underground, unpromoted talent but discovering and/or rediscovering talent from the past as well. I can't count how many times I've seen comments on youtube where someone would say on a Yanni song or a Mancini song or a Parliament jam, "I'm a metalhead but I dig this type of music."....or "I'm only 14 and I love these older songs."...or something similar. It's all about being exposed and mainsteam offers very little exposure these days. When a Norah Jones or a Jill Scott can find their way thru a lot of that disposable crap it's like a breath of fresh air and confirmation that good music is still alive out there. Unfortunately, you DO have to go digging for a lot of it nowadays and that's too bad. A lot of good and talented artists aren't getting their due cuz they aren't prancing around half-naked, falling down drunk or high out of clubs at 3 in the morning, or singing about making money and wooing women in clubs. Let's face it, the degradation of society may have found its way into music as well. The bar has been lowered for practically everything.

People always say how horrible music today is, including myself, but sometimes I think that some of us might just be stuck in the past and have a hard time appreciating today's music. Sure, you have a lot of gimmicky artists with minmal talent like Soulja Boy and others and no one is exciting or innovative as MJ, Prince, Stevie, etc. but that doesn't mean there aren't good artists out today. I think artists like Coldplay, Alicia Keys, Ledisi, Jill Scott, Estelle, John Mayer, Duffy, Erykah Badu, P!nk and a lot more are good, it's not all bad imo. We can't compare everyone to artists of the past. I feel that happens quite a bit on here and other forums dedicated to old school artists. So, yes while there is a lot of crap out there, all music today is not bad. There are some good artists and quality music out there today, you just have to take the time to look for it because you're not gonna find most of it on mainsream or top 40 radio.

Well okay but some music I listen to when I get in the mood & because now Lil' Wanye making so much money to become A rap star donesn't mean he the most best-sellling rapper of all time. But Alicia Keys is my favorite female singer that I kown she can sing form her heart for as long as I can rember for the time when I was about 13 or 14 years old. But some of the music today is really sucked just as it was now back in the days.

Wendy, on point as usual. *clapping*

Maybe that's why Alicia Keys' music is so pure, becuz she actually PLAYS her piano. No computer can generate that purity that comes from a person actually blowing a horn or going at those piano keys

Exactly. Her latest CD is truly he best work so far. She is that kind of artist that does not like to be comfortable in one thing. She likes to explore. Where are those types of artists today? Too many pop acts.

Think about it, even artists like Celine Dion, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston are relegated to Adult Contemporary stations now. They're lucky if they can get that mainstream Pop hit being as they are mature artists now and can't be singing about grinding in the club and whatnot. Mainstream won't touch them UNLESS there's a T-Pain or some ish attached to them...and even then it can be tough. And that's where the problem lies, imo. It's mainstream radio and record executives with too much control over what mainstream is exposed to in huge doses. It's a shame that if Whitney has a good song, a Pop station might not play her anymore becuz they only have slots for the Britney types.

Excellent point. The radio plays a big role and you stated the real reason why I do not care for radio anymore. They do not play these types of artists. The radio execs assume that young people are not into Lionel, Celine, Whitney because they cannot "relate" to them. When you really think about it what does that mean? You have young artists today that sing songs that I do not understand and I am only 24 years old. I had to ask people what the person was singing or rapping. I mean, I remember being a kid and listening to everyone and no one cared who it was or how old they were. People said that Phil Collins was played in their prom and Phil was a man almost 40 years old. It was the music that he made/sang that all ages can relate to. Then you have the media and critics stating that these artists had "flops" because no one heard about them. Hello, the radio isn't going to play their songs in formats that young people listen to.

I also think that young people need to be opened minded and start asking their parents what types of people do they listen to. Instead of buying these terrible singers like Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato, they need to explore real singers and buy classic albums from Stevie, Lionel, Michael etc. They need to start getting into newer acts who actually sing and have emotion in their voices like Jasmine Sullivan. These young people can show their friends and get them involve. That is how I see it.

Last edited:
I don't know what the radio and record companies are thinking when they play the same song every two hours. I think it it takes away from the overall impact of a song because the music loses it's effect on folks. I believe that people have very short attention spans for that kind of thing nowadays. And I don't blame them at all. If I'm not mistaken, that's one reason why some albums have tanked even with a number one hit. It seems that once the higher-ups find out that a song is a hit with the public, they play the song threadbare and almost don't bother to play anything else. It gets people to the point where they hate it. Then most of them get afraid that the rest of the album, (if it's not out yet), will stink and of course, they won't buy it when it's released. Alot of people aren't as easily impressed today like they were in the past. So radio stations and record companies should really cut down on the amount of times a hit can be played IMO. It's not good, I think, for the artist if a one-time chart topper (and maybe the album too) ultimately fails purely because of radio overplay.

Yes, MAINSTREAM music really is that bad.

Agree, nuff said.

I cannot think of a single mainstream contemporary artist that I will give a second thought about listening to. I think today's music is absolutely horrible and in need of (once again) Michael's creative genius to give the industry the jumpstart it needs (again). I can't listen to the radio without getting sick to my stomach, so I simply don't. Whether it's crappy and/or lewd content, or mediocre (or just plain bad) singing, I can't stand it. Maybe I am stuck in the past myself, but I look to various artists of the past of various generations of music for inspiration to create my own. Today's stars don't last but a few short years. They may have good voices, I won't deny that, but what good does their talent do if they are only going to spew junk from their mouths? That's what makes it ugly, in my opinion. Then there's the legends; those we can draw our inspiration from, because they last for decades, if not an entire lifetime. Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Beatles, Sammy Davis Jr., Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Presley, Whitney Houston, and many, many more. One has to learn from the masters of the past, to create for themselves a successful future. When one gets the mentality that a legend has "gone the way of the dodo", they do themselves an injustice. People today are too bent on something fresh and new every few months or every two years; they just aren't satisfied. And when a popular singer hits the age of 25 or (at the most) 30, people throw them out like yesterday's garbage. How fair is that to a singer? People forget that a singer's prime is actually between the ages of 30-50. So they hear these teens and young adults singing, and think they're spectacular, when it isn't even their best yet! So, that's my two cents.

Last edited:
I also wanted to say, I'm in my "prime" as a singer now. My voice has matured (and continues to do so), I have more wisdom than I did at 17, I have learnd so much more about music and what I can do with it, my voice may be a little rusty right now but that's cause I'm out of practice, but nonetheless it is certainly different than it was a long time ago, I've learned over the years to create my own songs; writing the lyrics, composing the music, singing it, and recording it. I have seen that my lyrics have changed over the years as I have gotten older and wiser and learned what's really important in life. I have leaned on and learned from the masters of the past, to create something that is uniquely mine. I have so many sources of inspiration. If people will look inside themselves for their music, and not depend on being complete copycats or on songwriters to write everything for them, then I might consider them a real artist. Maybe. But they've got to prove it. I don't want to hear anymore Britney or Justin wanna-bes. I don't even want to hear those two. Anyway, there was a lot of good artistry all through the 1900's. When the 2000's hit, it's been a downhill plummet in the music industry. I won't be part of that. I create my own music. I hope and pray that other people like it, but even if they don't, I have it for my own enjoyment. I WILL have an album out for all of you to (hopefully) enjoy. But like some other people I know, time matters to make something really good. :)

i have heard that every generation thinks the sound of their era is terrible. then, generations later, the current generation of whatever current time it is, thinks the music of the distant past is great.

nuff said.

i have heard that every generation thinks the sound of their era is terrible. then, generations later, the current generation of whatever current time it is, thinks the music of the distant past is great.

nuff said.
Yes, but in this case it's true, lol. In the past people called Jazz "jungle music". 'Rock n roll' and 'R&B' was "race" music or more derogatory terms.

Open your ears, yes! Years ago I thought music can't be worser anymore. But the sad thing is with every year that passes by we have less big hits. In 2008 we heard no really outstanding song.

Is Music Today Really THAT Bad?
It was my exact sentiment. Maybe still is.

But do note that every generation has been saying that for years.

Nonetheless in my perspective, current mainstream industry is in a critical state when it comes to depth, quality, artistry and creativity. It has ruthlessly becoming a spam industry (eg. Disney).

Good music and talented artists are out there but you have to give yourself an extra effort to search for them. The more deserved and talented artists have been shoved out from the mainstream and Top 40. Most of them that is.

In the end, opinion will vary. Each to their own.

Last edited:
it is AWFUL.

80% of it, that is.

If you want your ears to bleed, listen to Womanizer , Love Lockdown and such.

If you want to enjoy, listen to Coldplay's Viva La Vida album or Pink's Funhouse.

I think the music of today is really bad. I do rate Gorillaz, The Strokes, OutKast, Christina Aguliera and Coldplay, but most bands and artists of today are overrated and either bland of just a bad joke.

On a positive note, I think the music of today is much better than in the 1990's but the greatest eras in music being the 1960's, 70's and 80's will never be topped in the music and artists that emerged.

Oh yeah, Gorillaz are amazing. Demon Days is such a great album.

But I can never call this a better decade than the 1990's...

Kings Of Leon's 'Sex On Fire' is massive in Great Britain right now!

so they should be, they are awwwwwwwsome

there're some great current music which never gets radio play and much attention because they aren't 'mainstream pop' like cb, rihanna, t-pain and womanizer (listen to it if you want to torture your ear)

listen to this one if you want to enjoy. Great song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XkP0m73gZA

Back