In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

I don't disagree with this but Michael has always been all about fusion, for me. Plus, fusion ... Faith No More inserted a section of '911 Is A Joke' into 'The Real Thing' in all of their shows in 1990. Fusion was a fluid and ever-evolving thing.
Run-DMC had rock sounds in their music in 1984 with Rock Box. Then there was King Of Rock, which was the first video by a hip hop act played on MTV. There was Rapture (Blondie) & Wham! Rap (Wham!) before that, but they're not actual rap artists. The most known is their remake of Walk This Way with Aerosmith which came out in 1986. Bob Dylan was on a 1986 Kurtis Blow song called Street Rock. Jazz artist Herbie Hancock released an entire album with hip hop & electrofunk sounds in 1983 called Future Shock, which had the popular song Rockit, the music video was played on MTV. Chaka Khan had the hit song I Feel For you in 1984 that had Melle Mel from Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5. In the early 1980s, there were R&B singers doing their own raps on a song like Millie Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Teena Marie, Stacy Lattisaw, New Edition, & Johnny Guitar Watson. New Edition, The Sequence, & Force MDs were probably the first R&B/hip hop hybrid acts, doing it several years before New Jack Swing came around.

Run-DMC had rock sounds in their music in 1984 with Rock Box. Then there was King Of Rock, which was the first video by a hip hop act played on MTV. There was Rapture (Blondie) & Wham! Rap (Wham!) before that, but they're not actual rap artists. The most known is their remake of Walk This Way with Aerosmith which came out in 1986. Bob Dylan was on a 1986 Kurtis Blow song called Street Rock. Jazz artist Herbie Hancock released an entire album with hip hop & electrofunk sounds in 1983 called Future Shock, which had the popular song Rockit, the music video was played on MTV. Chaka Khan had the hit song I Feel For you in 1984 that had Melle Mel from Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5. In the early 1980s, there were R&B singers doing their own raps on a song like Millie Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Teena Marie, Stacy Lattisaw, New Edition, & Johnny Guitar Watson. New Edition, The Sequence, & Force MDs were probably the first R&B/hip hop hybrid acts, doing it several years before New Jack Swing came around.
Well, jazz rock fusion started in the 1960's, Jimi Hendrix did a collab with The Last Poets in 1969 (which people have argued about but, afaik, it is legit), Miles Davis is usually credited as having started the whole fusion thing and Frank Zappa was doing fusion stuff in the 60's, also. Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Santana were all doing the fusion thing long before we get to the 80's. So it's pretty well established long before Michael came along. The stuff Michael did was really cool, he definitely brought a lot to the table, imo. I'm just arguing that he was fusing stuff long before BoW. The rap sections on the Dangerous album - that was new for Michael but the fusion overall? I think he was already there.

I was mentioning FNM in response to MegaMix using the word 'juxtaposing'. I could have mentioned anybody, they just happened to jump into my head first.
[...] More, juxtaposing white mainstream rock against black hiphop and/or r&b. [...]

I really think Michael already did this with Beat It. Obviously the actual rap section in BoW is new (if we're talking rock songs). Tbh, I'm not very good at talking about music. I don't want to sound as though I'm being dismissive of what Michael did on the Dangerous album or with BoW specifically. But, y'know, he had the Bloods in his Beat It video (red jacket), he had the Crips in TWYMMF (blue shirt). So BoW just kinda feels like a logical progression. I'm not saying anyone else would have done this. I mean that it's a logical progression for Michael.

I don't disagree with this but Michael has always been all about fusion, for me. Plus, fusion ... Faith No More inserted a section of '911 Is A Joke' into 'The Real Thing' in all of their shows in 1990. Fusion was a fluid and ever-evolving thing.

Crossover appeal - again, I think Michael had already nailed this in 1983 and then put a candle on top with the Bad album in 1987.

I might be misunderstanding your point, though. I do that sometimes, lol. :ROFLMAO:
To be honest, I’m not even sure what point I was intending to make. 😂
Yes definitely in terms of Beat It. MJ made thee ultimate mainstream rock song. A complete crossover. Rock fans to this day sight it as one of the all time best rock songs. It helps that Eddie Van Halen is on it, but the hook is undeniably great and it’s incredibly catchy.

I’m not really familiar with Faith No More’s music but Dangerous crosses quite a few genres: pop, new jack swing, R&B, rock, classical, gospel, industrial, funk, hip hop and a few more that I can’t think off the top of my head.

Well, jazz rock fusion started in the 1960's, Jimi Hendrix did a collab with The Last Poets in 1969 (which people have argued about but, afaik, it is legit), Miles Davis is usually credited as having started the whole fusion thing and Frank Zappa was doing fusion stuff in the 60's, also. Funkadelic, Sly Stone and Santana were all doing the fusion thing long before we get to the 80's. So it's pretty well established long before Michael came along. The stuff Michael did was really cool, he definitely brought a lot to the table, imo. I'm just arguing that he was fusing stuff long before BoW. The rap sections on the Dangerous album - that was new for Michael but the fusion overall? I think he was already there.

I was mentioning FNM in response to MegaMix using the word 'juxtaposing'. I could have mentioned anybody, they just happened to jump into my head first.
I think the point I was trying to make was that nobody else has done it on the scale of MJ in terms of broad mainstream appeal. Of course it probably helped that we had MTV and MJ excelled the music video to the point where he called them short films, which they are. I’m sure there was probably someone who got there before MJ, but not on that scale.

To be honest, I’m not even sure what point I was intending to make. 😂
Seriously! I've completely lost the plot, lol. Otoh, I'm watching Dangerous at the AMA's so gotta be happy about that. 1993 will forever be my top, top fave but I'm also watching the 1995 performance - purely for the Bankhead Bounce! Love it! The point being that Michael didn't need to be the first person to do something, he just did it so much better than most people!

Yes definitely in terms of Beat It. MJ made thee ultimate mainstream rock song. A complete crossover. Rock fans to this day sight it as one of the all time best rock songs. It helps that Eddie Van Halen is on it, but the hook is undeniably great and it’s incredibly catchy.
(y)

I’m not really familiar with Faith No More’s music but Dangerous crosses quite a few genres: pop, new jack swing, R&B, rock, classical, gospel, industrial, funk, hip hop and a few more that I can’t think off the top of my head.
I only mentioned FNM cos they jumped into my head. Jazz rock fusion has been around for a long time. Rap has been around for a long time (The Last Poets).

I think the point I was trying to make was that nobody else has done it on the scale of MJ in terms of broad mainstream appeal. Of course it probably helped that we had MTV and MJ excelled the music video to the point where he called them short films, which they are. I’m sure there was probably someone who got there before MJ, but not on that scale.
I was just trying to make this exact point and making a right mess of it and deleting everything! I'm not gonna argue with a global audience of - was it 500 million? - for the BoW video. I mean, that's what Michael did. He could bring everything to a standstill. It's insane. You're right, it's the scale of what he did as much as the artistic brilliance. It's not about people moaning that he didn't invent the Bankhead Bounce. It's about the fact that he was as inspired by street dance as he was by James Brown or Fred Astaire. And he would take that stuff, that inspiration, and make it his own. And then he took it to the masses.

Seriously! I've completely lost the plot, lol. Otoh, I'm watching Dangerous at the AMA's so gotta be happy about that. 1993 will forever be my top, top fave but I'm also watching the 1995 performance - purely for the Bankhead Bounce! Love it! The point being that Michael didn't need to be the first person to do something, he just did it so much better than most people!

(y)

I only mentioned FNM cos they jumped into my head. Jazz rock fusion has been around for a long time. Rap has been around for a long time (The Last Poets).

I was just trying to make this exact point and making a right mess of it and deleting everything! I'm not gonna argue with a global audience of - was it 500 million? - for the BoW video. I mean, that's what Michael did. He could bring everything to a standstill. It's insane. You're right, it's the scale of what he did as much as the artistic brilliance. It's not about people moaning that he didn't invent the Bankhead Bounce. It's about the fact that he was as inspired by street dance as he was by James Brown or Fred Astaire. And he would take that stuff, that inspiration, and make it his own. And then he took it to the masses.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Michael was cross generational, multicultural, all inclusive, on a scale never before seen.

We got there in the end lol. I’m worn out. 😂

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I was just over on Prince.org and saw a thread discussing what the fans considered to be Prince's worst song; this isn't meant to turn this into an MJ v P thread as we've had plenty of those and this isn't meant to be a P bashing thread either.

I'm sure there'll be the fans out there who say that Michael's music is the best thing ever in the world and so none of songs are bad, but surely we must have our least favourites? Those songs that, when you hear them you can't help but see the colour red.

So I ask, in your opinion, which is Michael Jackson's worst song?

I'll go first

The Lost Children
or
You Are My Life
You are my Life by far

Many songs I dont like (most of them before Thriller and on Invincible) but I wanna mention one that is among is worst (imo) and despite that it came
from a time period when he was amazing in everything he did:

We Are Here To Change The World

Last edited:
Many songs I dont like (most of them before Thriller and on Invincible) but I wanna mention one that is among is worst (imo) and despite that it came
from a time period when he was amazing in everything he did:

We Are Here To Change The World
I love the ad libs on that song.

Reading Brice Najar's book on HIStory, there's an interview with Bernard Belle where he says that Rodney Jerkins called him up to write lyrics for Privacy, and he's the one who wrote those lines about Lady Di. So whatever mistake was made regarding "that cold winter night" (Diana actually died in the Summer), it was Bernard Belle's mistake, not MJ's.

It shows how incredibly uninvolved and uninterested MJ was in Invincible that even the lyrics to such a seemingly personal song, dealing with MJ's usual beef with the media, were not even written by him. MJ could not be bothered by that point.

Reading Brice Najar's book on HIStory, there's an interview with Bernard Belle where he says that Rodney Jerkins called him up to write lyrics for Privacy, and he's the one who wrote those lines about Lady Di. So whatever mistake was made regarding "that cold winter night" (Diana actually died in the Summer), it was Bernard Belle's mistake, not MJ's.

It shows how incredibly uninvolved and uninterested MJ was in Invincible that even the lyrics to such a seemingly personal song, dealing with MJ's usual beef with the media, were not even written by him. MJ could not be bothered by that point.
Really the process of making Invincible went on so long And became so clerical that post 2000 he got disinterested.

Back