I don't like how the Party City commercial uses 'Thriller'

I remember this one. I don't know why, but I dislike this one as well. Go figure.

Someone said they do the dance-they don't even do the dance ; they do some kind of ugly wierd 'dance'.

What is up with the second commerical???! :lol:
The Raisins were very popular in the 1980s, and so were Spuds McKenzie, and Clara "Where's The Beef?" Peller. There was another California Raisin commercial with a Ray Charles Raisin, lol. Mike hired the people who did the Raisin commercials to make the Speed Demon video.

The Raisins were very popular in the 1980s, and so were Spuds McKenzie, and Clara "Where's The Beef?" Peller. There was another California Raisin commercial with a Ray Charles Raisin, lol. Mike hired the people who did the Raisin commercials to make the Speed Demon video.

maybe its just me but you can see a 'resembelence' of a character in teh speed demon video. I haven't seen it in a long time but one of the charachters in the video looks like a ca raisin right?

How is that? Mike didn't write the song, nor owns the publishing, and they don't use his recording, so he/estate doesn't get paid. Rod Temperton does though.

It's not his likeness or voice, because it's different singers and music. The 3 remaining Beatles sued Nike in the mid-80's because Nike actually used the band's recording of Revolution without permission instead of using cover singers. In that case Nike used the Beatles' likeness. The makers of this commercial doesn't have to get any permission from or pay the estate since Mike has nothing to do with the songwriting ofThriller and they don't use his version. You don't have to get permission from anybody to remake a song, only to use or sample a previous recording. The act covering the song does have to pay royalties to whoever owns the copyright of the song, not necessarily the songwriter if the songwriter is not the owner.

You are right about this.

LOL. It doesn't bother me. When people hear it they're going to think of MJ (I wish they had used his version though) and I want MJ to be remembered always.

They cant afford to use the song, that real version is very expensive so they have to use a copyright friendly version of the song. Which while has the same type of feel as thriller, it's not thriller.

Hmm I haven't seen this commercial played in a while. Thank goodness, I guess because Halloween is almost here they are scaling it back. Now I will wait for the annoying and repetitive Christmas commercials to begin. :timer:

I'll be glad when Halloween is over so they can stop playing the dam thing!
I mute the TV or change the channel immediately.

The makers of this commercial doesn't have to get any permission from or pay the estate since Mike has nothing to do with the songwriting ofThriller and they don't use his version. You don't have to get permission from anybody to remake a song, only to use or sample a previous recording. The act covering the song does have to pay royalties to whoever owns the copyright of the song, not necessarily the songwriter if the songwriter is not the owner.
;) Knowledge.

Hmm I haven't seen this commercial played in a while. Thank goodness, I guess because Halloween is almost here they are scaling it back. Now I will wait for the annoying and repetitive Christmas commercials to begin. :timer:

I was so wrong. I've seen it a lot since my last post. The commercial just played literally seconds ago. Leave me alone, lol.

Every year halloween comes around and every year someone some where thinks of Thriller. What is so bad about it? If we didn't have thriller what else would they use to promote halloween with?! 2 little m&m's? lol just be thankful someone somewhere thinks of thriller and Michael when they make these commercials lol.

To me, it's not the point of weather somebody uses Thriller or not.
It's just a poorly done advert and annoying as well, IMO.

I liked the Vitamin water advert from a couple years ago.....with the lizards and
stuff, some with "grills". Lol!

Last edited:
I know I get so angry when that commercial comes on...I expect to see Michael ...grrr,,this sucks,,,really it does..:(

Every year halloween comes around and every year someone some where thinks of Thriller. What is so bad about it? If we didn't have thriller what else would they use to promote halloween with?! 2 little m&m's? lol just be thankful someone somewhere thinks of thriller and Michael when they make these commercials lol.
two little M&M;s...:lmao:....thanks I needed that laugh...:)

Back