How Old Are You and How Long Have You Been an MJ Fan?

What age group do you fit in?

• 12 and under

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 13-17

Votes: 139 16.3%
  • 18-24

Votes: 306 36.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 177 20.8%
  • 31-39

Votes: 112 13.2%
  • 40 and over

Votes: 91 10.7%

• Total voters
Re: How old are you and how long have you been a MJ fan?

I'm 28 and I've been a fan since I was about 6, but my love just grew and grew! :wub:

I am 32 and have been a fan my entire life. Michael and my mom came into the world on the exact same day (8/29/58) and she grew up loving him and the Jackson 5. We were raised on Michael's music. We had Off The Wall when I was a baby and I vividly remember the day my parents brought home the Thriller album. As a family, we went to see Michael live in 1988 for my 10th birthday. He was always a part of my life and my family.

I have been enjoying and appreciating MJ's music as a young child during his 'Mowtown' day's,( Yes I am an 'old timer!lol) but came into a new frenzy of being a fan in the 80's with the Thriller days when I was a teenager in the 1980's!
I love all MJ's varying works,
So many fantastic songs and dance's to go with, yet I always had a soft spot for ''The way you make me feel'' and that video (long version) that goes with it......:)
Since MJ died I have found myself appreciating ''Stranger in Moscow'' more than ever, as the words and passion as it's sung show MJ's true emotions of ''how he feels''. :-(
Why have I stayed a fan? I have always been a Fan with crystal clear voice and sheer genius like MJ showed how could you not? Alway's knew he was innocent of those accusations,he has a heart so gentle and beautifully kind. ''A gentle soul who happened to be the greatest entertainer the world has ever known.''

Lucky you I so wish I was in my teens in the 80's but I was only born in 1982. I fell in love with Michael and his music in 1992 and have loved him ever since. I consider myself fortunate to have lived in his time.

I am 22 and I have always been a MJ fan simply because I am a fan of good music. My parents grew up on the Jacksons music and my mom loved MJ she sill does but when she was a teenager she was a fanatic. I discovered my moms MJ cds in the mid 90s thats when I became a fan.

28 and i've loved Michael ever since i first saw him back in 1992, so if math ain't an opinion (as Italians used and still use to say) that would mean for about 18 years now...

Guys, please don't hate me for this but I haven't been a fan for long. Why? Because NOBODY in my family ever mentioned him and I never heard his music around the house growing up!!! I'm 19 and I've only been a fan for a year now. Kinda late, huh?

lol i wouldn't hate you for it. I had to discover Michael myself aswell, no one i knew ever said anything about him and his music was hardly ever played. I bought Thriller and Bad at the end of 2007.. then a few months later got Dangerous + OTW and from there i've got loads of stuff lol. When i got those i only knew a few songs like Billie Jean, Black or White, Thriller, Beat It. Before i got Bad i thought Alien Ant Farm's SC was the original :lol: :p

so i'm 15 and been a fan since just after i turned 13 :D

I am now 21 years old :D

I been listening to MJ since I was 6 years old :D I think 1995 or 1996 :D.

I've always liked him but it will be a whole year exactly tomorrow since i became a hardcore fan :) 28th March 2009 best day of my life, seriously :)
I'm, 14 by the way :)
I wish I'd been an obsessive fan for longer.. because i enjoy it so much - im just proud i can say i was a proper fan since before 25th june 09, thats what i love, i've met so many amazing people and been touched in an amazing way :)

Thank you Michael

I'm 24 (but not for long ;) ) and I've been listening to Michael since I was 6. It was because of my brother, who didn't want me to listen to to his idol - Queen. So I told him, I'll find myself someone better - and so did I :) When I first heard "Billie Jean" on the radio I was captive by this voice. And when I saw those beautiful eyes, heard his message... He just won my heart forever. And so... And now, I am old and still, love him even more :heart:

^ Thats so cool! I bet your glad of your brother saying that now!

im 17 in april and i feel so horrible to say that i became a fan of Michael after his death. i mean i always liked his music but i never properly paid attention until after. after his death i became really obssessed and looked at all this stuff on youtube bought all his albums and everything my whole room is full of mj. im so shattered i cant believe that i only noticed the greatest legend ever until he died!! i admit thought in 2005 during the trials i was in year seven then but i remember i didnt believe any of the allegations i actually remember watching living with michael jackson all those years back and thinking that michael jackson is really cool lol. i really wish i was older sometimes so i could fully experience Michael but im so thankful i finally did and i feel kinda guilty saying that i miss him because i barely took notice while he was alive but Michaels helped me through a lot and i really do miss him. :(

I belong to the age group 18-24,
I've beeen a fan for the past 9 years, became a fan shortly before Invincible was released, around summer 2001 Vince was released October 29, 2001

Last edited:

Popularity was explosive, and I knew Michael from the chiller area in Japan at that time, too. PV of BAD is still shocking. A scandal stepped too much forward and went away afterwards. I purchased LIVEDVD some other time after dying and came to love it again. The Michael best!

I am 18 years old and I've been his fan since last summer...... :girl_cry::girl_tantrum:

I'm 15 years old, and I've been a fan since I was about 10, in the 5th grade.

I just want to say what a beautiful thing it is that Michael has so many younger fans (teens, 20's). That is so wonderful and I hope he continues to draw younger fans. It just makes me wonder where the older ones are. I feel so old on this board...lol.

I agree. But you have little old me!:yes:
I have just turned 43!!:doh:
How did that happen???
I remember hearing ''Ben'' when it first came out, and I thought at the time what a sad song it was.............but I remember liking MJ's voice in it! I was only a young child then................so didnt appreciate the song as much as I do now!:wub:
Then as a teenager...............aged 15yrs old...............Thriller came onto MTV...........:bugeyed We were like OMG!!!!! :wild:
I was 21yrs old when Bad album came out.............the list goes on and on..............MJ is the sound track to my life:wub:
No words can say just how it feels now to know he is no longer with us on this earth as we know it................but we try to hope that somehow he IS..............here...........always in our hearts......
I've just put ''Ben'' on in my itunes................oh MJ this ballad is amazing.........Thank you Michael. For everything. We love you more. xxx

Last edited:

I'm 15 years old, and I've been a fan since I was about 10, in the 5th grade.

Awww its so lovely that MJ has fans of all ages! How amazing and ironic that you have ''off the wall'' as your name.............1979 eh?:doh:
I was 12yrs old then! Before you were even born.............way before...........bless you how lovely!:wub:

I'm 17 years old and I started to become a fan when I was around 9 years old when I first heard "You Rock My World" on the radio - I can remember how awesome I thought the song was. I started to become a super fan then in 2003 when I bought the Number Ones album when it first came out and I just loved all the songs on there, so I started buying all his studio albums right away haha :) I'm still a fan to this day because I just fell in love with everything about Michael, I just love him and music so much.

I'm 15 and I've been a fan since birth preety much :) Always loved him as a person and an artist, one of my earliest memories is dancing to MJ's HIStory concert in Munich when I was younger :p
I also remember when I was in the school choir and we sung Earth Song and I was the only one (including the teachers) who didn't need the lyrics :lol:

Awww its so lovely that MJ has fans of all ages! How amazing and ironic that you have ''off the wall'' as your name.............1979 eh?:doh:
I was 12yrs old then! Before you were even born.............way before...........bless you how lovely!:wub:

Haha yeah, I know :) I couldn't think of a screen name, so I just decided on one of his albums and the year it came out.

Ditto! Generations and generations of fans...I LUV it!

Don't feel old, I'm also one of the older ones :cheers:

but
that just means we had more time with him :wild:

:tease:

You've got a good point there. I'm grateful for that. :)

I agree. But you have little old me!:yes:
I have just turned 43!!:doh:
How did that happen???
I remember hearing ''Ben'' when it first came out, and I thought at the time what a sad song it was.............but I remember liking MJ's voice in it! I was only a young child then................so didnt appreciate the song as much as I do now!:wub:

Aww Ben. I was about 9 when that came out. It feels almost like it was yesterday. To this day I never think he's singing about a rat, lol. "Ben" could be anyone or anything. It's about friendship. And Michael's beautiful vocals make you feel the emotion.

31 years old here. Born in late '78. Michael came into my life when I was only 4-5 years old (barely even in Kindergarten) ... so I'm a "Thriller Child", duh, LOL. :cheeky:

I'm 33 and I'm a fan since 26 years now! I'm very proud to be a fan of Mike!

Back