Frank Dileo - Michael's manager. Interview from 2007

mariemarie

Guests
In the Seth Riggs thread Datsymay mentioned Frank Dileo. That lead me to search him up a bit and found this article I have never read before. What do you guys think about Frank?

Interview With Frank Dileo

(21-11-2007) Nashville Scene has published a cover story on and interview with Frank Dileo, Michael's former manager. During the interview, Frank Dileo also talked about his time working with Michael. Below follow some excerpts.
michaelanddileo.jpg
Michael, who had been without a manager for eight months, asked Dileo to fill the position in March 1984 at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Dileo accepted two days later and started managing Michael three months before the start of the Victory Tour. He recalls:
“Believe me, that was work. Every brother had a lawyer and an accountant. We had to have white promoters and black promoters. It was quite a complicated fiasco. But I got Michael through it safely.” Among the three black promoters were Don King and the Reverend Al Sharpton. “That was before Rev. Al Sharpton owned a suit. He was still in sweats.”
Bill Bennett, head of Warner Nashville and a friend of Dileo’s since the late ’70s, has one particularly fond memory of the Victory Tour’s opening night:
“We were in Kansas City and I said, ‘Frank, I’m going to Arthur Bryant’s,’ which is one of the most famous homes of barbecue in the world. And Michael looked at me and said, ‘Oh no, Bill, Frank’s a vegetarian now.’ So Frank goes, ‘Yeah, Michael’s looking out for my health.’ As he walks me out the door, he gives me a key and says, ‘Meet me in this room when you get back, and bring some barbecue.’ ”
Dileo recalls:
“Michael used to moderate everything I ate. It’s amazing—when I started with him I was 210; when I ended with him, I was 265. So that’s what eating healthy does to you.”
The article also mentions, that Dileo convinced Michael to do the video for “Thriller”. He recollects:
“Actually, he only wanted to do two videos—‘Billie Jean’ and ‘Beat It,’ So while I was still working for Epic, [product manager] Larry Stessel asked me to fly out there and talk him into doing ‘Thriller,’ because he was pretty adamant that he wouldn’t do it.”
To outsiders Michael Jackson may look naive, but when it comes to business, he’s not. Walter Yetnikoff once said about him:
“He has made observations to me about things like promotion which indicate he would be totally qualified to run a record label if he so desired.” Dannen himself describes Jackson as “an ambitious man with extensive knowledge of the record industry’s workings.”
In September 1987, Jackson embarked on the BAD Tour - his first tour as a solo performer, which Dileo produced. Dileo recalls:
“It was a headache. You were moving 213 people every three days. In London, we played Wembley Stadium seven times in a row, 72,000 people a night. And we could have probably played it 10 or 12 nights, but at the time they only had seven available.”
Of course, there was a lot more to managing Michael Jackson than producing world tours. Dileo says fondly:
“We did a lot of things, Michael and I. I got to executive produce all the videos of the Bad album. I did Moonwalker. I got nominated for two Grammys: for ‘Smooth Criminal’ and ‘Leave Me Alone.’ And I won a Grammy for ‘Leave Me Alone’—as the producer of the video, not the record.”
Another managerial coup from Dileo’s Jackson stint was his negotiation for the Pepsi commercial:
“I got [Pepsi CEO] Roger Enrico to pay me up front, which was never done before. In fact, we cut the deal on the Pepsi jet. Once we agreed upon a price, I said to Roger, ‘OK, there’s just one more thing. You’ve got to pay it all up front.’ He says, ‘I don’t know.’ And I said, ‘Roger, did Elvis Presley ever do a commercial for Pepsi?’ He said no. I said, ‘Did The Beatles?’ He said no. I said, ‘What do you want to be—0 for 3?’ He shook his head and went into the men’s room and came back and said, ‘OK, you got a deal.’ ”
Dileo harbors no ill will toward Michael over his firing in February 1989:
“It’s a shame it ended. I really like Michael. It ended for a lot of reasons. First of all, Michael and I spent every day together for five-and-a-half years. A lot of people were jealous of that. And at that point in time, we had a lot of power between us. There was one or two record executives, and a lawyer, possibly two lawyers, that sort of needed me to get out of the way, so that they had more control with Michael. And it also was a way for them to get rid of Yetnikoff, who had a lot of power and was my friend.”
But how was Jackson convinced?
“Unfortunately, they talked Michael into it by promising him—now this is according to Michael, and I believe this—by promising him that if he fired me and hired Sandy Gallin, that he’d be able to make movies in Hollywood. Now the truth be told, Michael never made a movie. The only movie [besides 1978’s The Wiz] he’s ever made was with me, and that was Moonwalker.”
When Jackson went on trial in 2005, Frank stayed in Los Angeles for over three months, on his own dime:
“I know that he is innocent. A lot of people attack him for a lot of different reasons. One is, everybody would love to get their hands on the Beatles’ publishing. And he’s just one of those guys, he’s real kind and real nice and he can easily be taken advantage of. In this particular case, this kid had cancer, he found him a doctor, they didn’t have any money, he allowed them to live on his ranch. And when it was over, they didn’t want to leave. It was like blackmail. That’s all it was.
We talked at each and every break. I wanted to let him know that I know he didn’t do it. In fact, when I went there, he didn’t know I was coming. It was very emotional.
He went, ‘Frank, I can’t believe you’re here.’ And he started to cry. And I went over and I hugged him and we got on the elevator and he told [defense attorney] Tom Mesereau, ‘This is Frank Dileo. He used to manage me. I’ve had nine managers since then. He’s the only guy that showed up, or even called to see how I’m doing.’ That was a very rough thing on him, a very emotional thing.”
Since the mid-’90s, Dileo’s been keeping a low profile. He’s a family man—he’s been married to his wife Linda for 31 years and wanted to be near his children. Shortly thereafter, Dileo started to lose his eyesight. By 2004, he was blind, a result of diabetic retinopathy. But a series of four operations over the next couple of years restored much of his sight.
Meanwhile, Dileo started a management company, where he’s working with singer-songwriter Galen Griffin. And he’s about to pen a deal to start a publishing company with a successful songwriter/producer he doesn’t want to name yet.
Contrary to what you might expect, his office is a humble space in a nondescript building. But hanging on those office walls are enough gold and platinum records to make your head spin. And there is also a framed photograph of Frank Dileo and Michael Jackson, from behind, standing at urinals in a public restroom. Above Michael’s head, in Michael’s handwriting, are the words:
“This water sure is cold.” Above Frank’s head, he wrote, “It’s deep too.”

Last edited:
Franks a great guy. I wish that he would be MJ manager again

Wow! Thank you for posting this Mariemarie! That part about the trial days. That just broke my heart instantly, it really did! It seems Michael has had a lot of managers since Dileo, but the fact that Frank came to LA during his time of need, and Michael didn't know it, just to show his support, that was just heart-wrenching to read. It just shows how close they must have been back in the day.

I loved reading this, thank you again!

thix for this:)

this part is so nice...very emotional:
He went, ‘Frank, I can’t believe you’re here.’ And he started to cry. And I went over and I hugged him and we got on the elevator and he told [defense attorney] Tom Mesereau, ‘This is Frank Dileo. He used to manage me. I’ve had nine managers since then. He’s the only guy that showed up, or even called to see how I’m doing.’ That was a very rough thing on him, a very emotional thing.”

Yes, a very emotional part. I am glad that everything l is over and that God helped Michael, his family, friends and fans to fight this battle.

He happen to be his manager during Michael's greatest career. He obviously cared a lot about Michael Jackson, not just as an artist, but as a person too. He still does.

I like this particular picture a lot

MJ%20&%20Frank%20Dileo_jpg.jpg

I am glad to hear that he came to support Michael and showed that he believed in him at the time when he really needed it. I think MJ has often wondered that over the years who would support him in his absolutely worst time. It was also interesting to hear what happend when Frank was fired and that people wanted him out of the way.

Last edited:
I think this says it all.

Boy, I wish Michael's business people hadn't of conned him into firing Dileo. Think of the progress he could have made if they stayed together a little longer. I BET he would have been in movies a lot faster through Dileo!

I am glad to hear that he came to support Michael and showed that he believed in him at the time when he really needed it. I think MJ has often wondered that over the years who would support him in his absolutely worst time. It was also interesting to hear what happend when Frank was fired and that people wanted him out of the way.

I agree with this post. Also, doesn't it seem to be a familiar theme with Michael; someone always seeming to want someone elese out of the way.

Great interview, thank you for posting. I love Frank Dileo. I really think that MJ should work with him again.

Frank Dileo on Michael Jackson post verdict
Makes a positive statement about MJ On Fox news.

Boy, I wish Michael's business people hadn't of conned him into firing Dileo. Think of the progress he could have made if they stayed together a little longer. I BET he would have been in movies a lot faster through Dileo!

I agree. I am very proud of Frank Dileo. He was one of the few people there at the worst time in Michael's life when Michael really needed them. So many other so-called friends betrayed him and shopped trash to the media when the going got tough. I hope Michael would bring him back on board. He seems to care about Michael's well-being.

Last edited:
And there is also a framed photograph of Frank Dileo and Michael Jackson, from behind, standing at urinals in a public restroom. Above Michael’s head, in Michael’s handwriting, are the words:
“This water sure is cold.” Above Frank’s head, he wrote, “It’s deep too.”

Michael writing a dirty joke...Priceless...lol I'd pay good money for that pic...

I wonder what his deal with Tatiana Thumbzten was?

I'd love it if Michael re-hired Frank Dileo as his manager again.

Anyone knows what Frank Dileo's official web site address is.

I think it would be for the best. I don't think he has one.

I'd love it if Michael re-hired Frank Dileo as his manager again.
and that's the question, WHY Mike didn't and doesn't do it??? And WHY did he fire him after the BAD tour. So if he was such an excellent manager and good and feeling friend, WHY? Nobody here seems to scrutinize that.

Frank reminds me of the head executive where I work. A smart and clever man who can pull through a deal just like that.

I believe Michael had one of the best people around him during those days.

awww i love frank he is so cool :)

lol the dirty writing joke...very cheeky mr jackson!

and that's the question, WHY Mike didn't and doesn't do it??? And WHY did he fire him after the BAD tour. So if he was such an excellent manager and good and feeling friend, WHY? Nobody here seems to scrutinize that.
A lot of people were jealous of that. And at that point in time, we had a lot of power between us. There was one or two record executives, and a lawyer, possibly two lawyers, that sort of needed me to get out of the way, so that they had more control with Michael. And it also was a way for them to get rid of Yetnikoff, who had a lot of power and was my friend.”
But how was Jackson convinced?
“Unfortunately, they talked Michael into it by promising him—now this is according to Michael, and I believe this—by promising him that if he fired me and hired Sandy Gallin, that he’d be able to make movies in Hollywood. Now the truth be told, Michael never made a movie. The only movie [besides 1978’s The Wiz] he’s ever made was with me, and that was Moonwalker.”
There are the reasons!

Here's a few more quotes from Frank:

What is michael like in person?

Michael is one of the nicest people I know. He only looks for the good in people. He is very charming, and has a wonderful sense of humor. He is a very kind and gentle man. He is a sponge for knowledge. Michael is a perfectionist and will not quit until its right in his eyes. He can also be tough, but he is always fair in my opinion.

if mj uses frank for anything in the future, avram will sue. remember when frank was at the trial? marcel made a big stink, he's supposed to make money off of mj if he does concerts in the future....im not sure if there's a time cap on it or not.

anyone know what avram's supposed deal w/ mj is?

Back