FLOPS of 2008

If that was the problem, then Barry White, George Michael, Prince, and Marvin Gaye wouldn't have had careers, lol. As I mentioned before Janet has pretty much been blacklisted from radio, because of the Superbowl incident. The show was sponsored by MTV, and MTV and the networks (I think it was CBS) had to pay fines. MTV owns VH1. So that's a lot of sources that she's missing. Justin Timberlake distanced himself away from it. Hardly no one said anything about his involvement. The breast was on the screen less than a second, so what was the big deal? What's the difference between Janet and the tribal women that are on National Geographic shown on public broadcasting? The magazine was also in school, including elementary.

I really think that has little to do with it. That issue has been dead and buried for a long time. There isn't any kind of ban. Back when it was an actually issue? Maybe. Now? No. It's become an excuse that Janet fans hold on to. I think radio and people in general are unfortunately tired of Janet and have been for 3 consecutive albums. The music hasn't been up to par and the albums haven't been pushed properly by her record company. Discipline is a step up and is by far her best effort out of the three but it still isn't really up to Janet standards. Janet doesn't seem like Janet anymore. I don't feel her in the music like I used to. Her last truly good album was Velvet Rope. It's all been downhill from there. This is coming from a Janet fan who owns all her albums. I used to make up excuses for her too but there really isn't any sugar coating left.

Last edited:
Luther Vandros is respected for the quality of his music not for his sales since he has never sold anything .

Fortunately for him ,he has never sold million album , he has never been beyond a million of album , so he has never had any pression on him for the sales . But if he would have sold one of his album beyond 15 million , he would have been pressured for the sales , and if his next album wouldnt reach at least 10 million , it would have been considered as a flop yes .

It we're doing flops based on sales, then Bad flopped compared to Thriller and HIStory flopped compared to Dangerous and Invincible flopped compared to HIStory.

I wouldn't exactly call those albums "flops"

serena, this is why smoothcriminal made the comparison. He is not saying those albums were flops, but based off the arguement you put forth, they were. This is the exact same reason why the idiot critics said Invincible was a flop even though it sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

This is why saying "sales are everything" is a sketchy topic, because one person's "flop" is another's high-selling album.

Also, if this thread was just about big-money artists with high expectations, then some of those artists on the first page can't possibly even be included, as most of us have probably never even heard of them.

Last edited:
It we're doing flops based on sales, then Bad flopped compared to Thriller and HIStory flopped compared to Dangerous and Invincible flopped compared to HIStory.

I wouldn't exactly call those albums "flops"

how is 32mill and 31.5 million a flop? those r not flops... u mst dont get the thread lol

Luther Vandros is respected for the quality of his music not for his sales since he has never sold anything .

Fortunately for him ,he has never sold million album , he has never been beyond a million of album , so he has never had any pression on him for the sales . But if he would have sold one of his album beyond 15 million , he would have been pressured for the sales , and if his next album wouldnt reach at least 10 million , it would have been considered as a flop yes .

Here we are talking about artists who have always been considered as seller , like janet , etc .... . Artists who put several of their albums on the charts , unfortunately for them they are pressured for the sales .

For example Latoya Jackson is not pressured at all for the sales because she has never sold anything , so we cannot tell it Flop since she has never sold anything , i dont know if you understand .

thank u lol...im talkin mainstream here..all the artist on the 1st page were everywhere in 2008..

we not talkin bout luther, al green nobody..have they released albums in 2008..no. there4 they r irrelevant to the topic...

and i disagree..if an artist sells 15mill one album then 10mill i dont consider that a flop (IMO) now 15mill to 3mill then yes major flop lol.

serena, this is why smoothcriminal made the comparison. He is not saying those albums were flops, but based off the arguement you put forth, they were. This is the exact same reason why the idiot critics said Invincible was a flop even though it sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

This is why saying "sales are everything" is a sketchy topic, because one person's "flop" is another's high-selling album.

Also, if this thread was just about big-money artists with high expectations, then some of those artists on the first page can't possibly even be included, as most of us have probably never even heard of them.

I know 10 million is not a flop , but from 10 million to 3 million is a flop .

Concerning michael ...well i just think that you dont want to get what i mean .

thank u lol...im talkin mainstream here..all the artist on the 1st page were everywhere in 2008..

we not talkin bout luther, al green nobody..have they released albums in 2008..no. there4 they r irrelevant to the topic...

and i disagree..if an artist sells 15mill one album then 10mill i dont consider that a flop (IMO) now 15mill to 3mill then yes major flop lol.

15 million was only an example .

but yeah if your first album was 15 million , and the second one 10 million or even 9 /8 million ...its not a flop .

But coming from 15 million to 2/3 million but its a Big flop .

Danity Kane didn't flop..but day 26 did they're still trying though they have a new single....and Usher just didn't live up to the Confessions hype he didn't flop either flopping is not going gold or platinum....and dropping off the charts Usher is still there and has a chance to at least go double platinum...hmmmm was 50's album this year..he flopped...Mariah album is fizzling away...oh you forgot Ashanti..Busta got dropped but his album was gonna flop anyway...but I loved what I was hearing from it...does fat Joe count he's never really sold any records anyway...and this record was from an independent record company...oh recently G-unit...oh after that big single Bed J. Holiday flopped

Last edited:
Danity Kane didn't flop..but day 26 did they're still trying though they have a new single....and Usher just didn't love up to the Confessions hype he didn't flop either flopping is not going gold or platinum....and dropping off the charts Usher is still there and has a chance to at least go double platinum...hmmmm was 50's album this year..he flopped...Mariah album is fizzling away...oh you forgot Ashanti..Busta got dropped but his album was gonna flop anyway...but I loved what I was hearing from it...does fat Joe count he's never really sold any records anyway...and this record was from an independent record company...oh recently G-unit...oh after that big single Bed J. Holiday flopped

OMg i forgot bout Busta...and Mariah aint fizzling lol. J holiday didnt flop either. Suffocate did pretty good,...lemm ceck his album sales

if Busta's album is ever released soon, i wouldn't imagine it'd get any pop recognition but he's got several collabs that are looking to come out strong including a couple Neptunes tracks, Dre tracks, DJ Scratch, that collab with Linkin Park is played out but good and hopefully we'll hear a sweet Dilla record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb3Ut-nm31c

I know 10 million is not a flop , but from 10 million to 3 million is a flop .

Concerning michael ...well i just think that you dont want to get what i mean .

What about Dangerous (30 million) to HIStory (10 million, 20 million if you count that each was two-discs). That's a drop of either 66% or 33%.

Again, just to be clear, I'm NOT saying those are flops. Those are HUGE numbers. I'm just applying your example of other artists to Michael Jackson. Personally, I've never been for the arguement that an artist must maintain a ridiculously high example. "Confessions" was an exception, not a standard. If Usher's current albums sells 3 or 4 million copies, I don't think I'd consider a flop. I'd consider that to be normal for Usher.

What about Dangerous (30 million) to HIStory (10 million, 20 million if you count that each was two-discs). That's a drop of either 66% or 33%.

Again, just to be clear, I'm NOT saying those are flops. Those are HUGE numbers. I'm just applying your example of other artists to Michael Jackson. Personally, I've never been for the arguement that an artist must maintain a ridiculously high example. "Confessions" was an exception, not a standard. If Usher's current albums sells 3 or 4 million copies, I don't think I'd consider a flop. I'd consider that to be normal for Usher.

History sold over 10mill. Plus it wasnt cheap but we talkin bout 2008 here. Let's not compare past albums. Just what was released this year. 2008

I don't know what world-wide tallies are, but Snoop's "Ego Trippin'" has only done about 355,000 in the States, far below the sales of "Blue Carpet Treatment". If Snoop can't go platinum, I'd have to consider it a flop or close to it, he usually works with some pretty good producers.

I don't know what world-wide tallies are, but Snoop's "Ego Trippin'" has only done about 355,000 in the States, far below the sales of "Blue Carpet Treatment". If Snoop can't go platinum, I'd have to consider it a flop or close to it, he usually works with some pretty good producers.
id have 2 agree lol

Yung Berg flooped I heard...does Madonna still do numbers? There's has been 1,000 of albums released and maybe 20% of them are considered successful...the music industry is sad right now

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

A lot of people are saying that Usher's cd is a flop because of the fact that they are comparing "Confessions" to his current cd. I mean, 440,000 are very good numbers. Really good. He had a monster hit single out and his songs are being played on the radio. I do not think it is a flop.

As for Janet, errrrrr, yeah, her cd flopped. Her songs are not even played on the radio and her cds are not even selling. However, her tour might do very well.

The music industry as a whole is a complete joke. You have Rihanna with her fourth number one song from that CD and is played on the radio everyday. You have Lil Wayne singles on the radio like crazy. He has like four songs being played. I mean, why? It is just a joke.

Hmmmm....

A lot of people are saying that Usher's cd is a flop because of the fact that they are comparing "Confessions" to his current cd. I mean, 440,000 are very good numbers. Really good. He had a monster hit single out and his songs are being played on the radio. I do not think it is a flop.

As for Janet, errrrrr, yeah, her cd flopped. Her songs are not even played on the radio and her cds are not even selling. However, her tour might do very well.

The music industry as a whole is a complete joke. You have Rihanna with her fourth number one song from that CD and is played on the radio everyday. You have Lil Wayne singles on the radio like crazy. He has like four songs being played. I mean, why? It is just a joke.

and I like Rihanna's songs but they are pushing her too hard...there's artist on def jam that can barely get 1 single yet she gets like 6 or is it 7 now I can't even keep....they're trying so hard but they need to just move on....with all those re-releases etc....that's when you know an album didn't live up to expectations when they're re releasing it...

Hmmmm....

After love n da club 1 n2 he got no airplay lol.

and dont do rhi rhi lol

Last edited:
Like I told Michaelson, its a bit too premature to be comparing "Confesions'" overall sales to "Here I stand" which has only been released for a couple of months. The 19million figure was established after "Confessions" had its run on the charts. It has hardly been 6 months since "Here I stand" has been released but you're already comparing it to its predacessor's overall sales?
Rather compare how both albums did in their opening week.. "Confessions" apperantly sold 1.1million, while "Here I stand" sold about 400 000, maybe on that basis you can talk about a flop.

What are the chances with Usher's next couple of singles that this album can be resurrected?

What are the chances with Usher's next couple of singles that this album can be resurrected?

Reseructed? I think "Here I stand" is doing ok according to current standards, its only a let down when compared it to its predessesor and with the hype around Usher with his last album, I really thought "Here I stand" was going to be huge. But the music in the album is sub standard anyway so Usher has no one to blame but himself. I doubt re-hiring his old lady will do much in way of reaching the heights of "Confessions".

Reseructed? I think "Here I stand" is doing ok according to current standards, its only a let down when compared it to its predessesor and with the hype around Usher with his last album, I really thought "Here I stand" was going to be huge. But the music in the album is sub standard anyway so Usher has no one to blame but himself. I doubt re-hiring his old lady will do much in way of reaching the heights of "Confessions".

Here i satnd is not doing well. After LITC 1 and 2 nothin. Sure he released "moving mountains" (which is a nice song) but it got no air play. i saw the video maybe 5times. i havent heard much of anyting else. the album flopped so hey...moving along

the substance of music isnt based on sales..but sales/chart positions do determine whether u flop or not especially for main stream asrtist look @ the front page pple been buzin bout those albums they all had videos and nice singles but flopped lol no excuses...except lil mama n raven cuz they promotion sucked

I liked Ushers Album but it didn't do well, on the charts & it's funny how Usher reacts on how that has to porve when it comes to being A husband & A father to his (Usher 5th) son. But his songs you just can get egouth of.

Back