FLOPS of 2008

Well i knew sells don't mean ish when Soulja Boy was number one for so long. OMG wtf x3!

You can talk all this about the "times are different" and "sells are everything" but when it comes down to it, the quality music is underground now. Only a select few are worth praising. And even those select few are considered flops. Meh.

Well i knew sells don't mean ish when Soulja Boy was number one for so long. OMG wtf x3!

You can talk all this about the "times are different" and "sells are everything" but when it comes down to it, the quality music is underground now. Only a select few are worth praising. And even those select few are considered flops. Meh.
No I agree with you. But I think this thread is about flops just in terms of sales not quality wise.

michaelsson, there's more to music than sales & charts, son.

Janet's album had some sweet tracks.

Strangely enough, I thought that 20 YO was a better album. I was surprised when that one didn't take off.

Hey Shaun, I saw you comparing Usher's 1 million v 19 million? So you're telling me Usher sold 19 million with "Confessions in less than a year? "Here I stand" has only been out for a couple of months, so I think isn't it a bit premature to be comparing it to its "Confessions" in terms of overall sales? Shoudn't you rather be comparing the two albums on the basis of their opening week? I stand corrected, but I heard "Confessions" sold 1.1 million in its first week while "Here I stand" did a mere 400k+.. which could arguably be called a flop on that basis, for someone of the calibre of Usher.

Hey Shaun, I saw you comparing Usher's 1 million v 19 million? So you're telling me Usher sold 19 million with "Confessions in less than a year? "Here I stand" has only been out for a couple of months, so I think isn't it a bit premature to be comparing it to its "Confessions" in terms of overall sales? Shoudn't you rather be comparing the two albums on the basis of their opening week? I stand corrected, but I heard "Confessions" sold 1.1 million in its first week while "Here I stand" did a mere 400k+.. which could arguably be called a flop on that basis, for someone of the calibre of Usher.

ur right lol. and i still stand corrected..flop lol

If that was the problem, then Barry White, George Michael, Prince, and Marvin Gaye wouldn't have had careers, lol. As I mentioned before Janet has pretty much been blacklisted from radio, because of the Superbowl incident. The show was sponsored by MTV, and MTV and the networks (I think it was CBS) had to pay fines. MTV owns VH1. So that's a lot of sources that she's missing. Justin Timberlake distanced himself away from it. Hardly no one said anything about his involvement. The breast was on the screen less than a second, so what was the big deal? What's the difference between Janet and the tribal women that are on National Geographic shown on public broadcasting? The magazine was also in school, including elementary.

But they are selling records and she isnt lol.. its workin in their favor not in hers. And i havent even mentioned the superbowl thingy lol..i actually forgot about it

Eh, not really. Many artists thrive by simply having a solid fanbase and making real music that doesn't cost millions to make and sells moderately. It's why Al Green can still put out a record every two years and make money.

Sales really aren't everything. Sales are only everything to mainstream pop and hip-hop stars who's albums costs millions to manufacture. If you have real artists and musicians who can make quality music at a low cost, they can sell half a million albums and have few if any successful singles and still make a nice payday.

Im not talkin about quality overall..even if the album is great if it doesntsale the public will consider it a Flop..numbers are everything in the industry..hence all these artist re-releasing their albums..i.e Rihanna..mariah carey..chris brown..they all do it 2 gain more numbers

And Sure the fans are gona buy it simply becuz they are the fans. Like T25..it was for us but yet still sold 2million+ copies. its 2008 sales are gonna be compared and thats whats gonna determine ur status as an artist..believe it or not...just like with janet she didnt sell well so people are already saying her career is over. Its reality if u dont sale records...ur a flop and might be dropped from ur label..i.e papoose,Kelis,Christina Milian teira marie...record sales are everything...

and how many people actually knows al green still makes music? i didnt even know he made an album every 2yrs...i thought he was like a pastor or somethin lol

Last edited:
People michaelsonn is not talking about the quality of an album ..;he is just talking about the sales . And regarding the sales Janet is one of the biggest flop of the year , thats only a fact !!! .

FLOP by default there, no matter how many jam rags these muppets sell or how high up the charts they are.

as for judging what the 'public' think, that statistic has gone astray ever since the net opened up billions of music-fans to what they really enjoy. most industry-marketed stats bear little to no meaning these days.

i say f*ck the easily-influenced-fad-loving 13 year-old buyers - they don't represent the 'public', and they bear no meaning to music fans who actually know what they like instead of needing a marketing machine to pump it to them.

Oi_Enfield_No_2-1.jpg

smilies

and how many people actually knows al green still makes music? i didnt even know he made an album every 2yrs...i thought he was like a pastor or somethin lol
That's because Al Green isn't marketed to the youth market. He's not going to be played on pop or hip hop stations anyway, he's over 30 years old. He doesn't use expensive trendy producers, so he doesn't have to sell millions or have hit records to make money. Yes he's a reverend, but still sings secular music. The same as I was saying for jazz or blues artists, they have more mature fans and not fickle teens or young adults. BB King is 84 years old and still sell out shows. He still releases records also and hasn't had a big hit single since the early 1970s. Some performers can make a living without a lot of fanfare or hoopla.

That's because Al Green isn't marketed to the youth market. He's not going to be played on pop or hip hop stations anyway, he's over 30 years old. He doesn't use expensive trendy producers, so he doesn't have to sell millions or have hit records to make money. Yes he's a reverend, but still sings secular music. The same as I was saying for jazz or blues artists, they have more mature fans and not fickle teens or young adults. BB King is 84 years old and still sell out shows. He still releases records also and hasn't had a big hit single since the early 1970s. Some performers can make a living without a lot of fanfare or hoopla.

yea but thats a whole nother topic lol

And im sooo mad rave flopped..i bought her album earlier today and it was amazing! disney/hollywood needs to promote her! Reviews says its her greatest album and sum1 said its better than madonna lmao..omg go buy it

Is Coldpaly marketed for youth ? i only ask because i dont know their music but have the feeling they only do the music they want to do and not fit for the great public . But for what i have understood , they have the biggest saling album of the year . More than 4 000 000 in 3 weeks only is it right ?

They exemple shows that there is no need to do music marketed for youth to sell .

Is Coldpaly marketed for youth ? i only ask because i dont know their music but have the feeling they only do the music they want to do and not fit for the great public . But for what i have understood , they have the biggest saling album of the year . More than 4 000 000 in 3 weeks only is it right ?

They exemple shows that there is no need to do music marketed for youth to sell .

Coldplay have a specific target audience for people who enjoy the type of music they do, but it's not strictly centered in an age range. I understand what you're saying, though.

jan didn't flop.boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

and neither did ursher....it just leaked before...cant' stand him tho

and raven flopped so bad it came back and popped her inthe face

I am Janet's #2 fan, and she indeed flopped. She hasn't outsold 20YO. And yes Usher flopped the worst this year. How you go from selling 9mil to 1mil is beyond me.

Janet needs to release a decent and well put together greatest hits album next before even thinking about a new album...i am janets #3 fan and as one of her biggest fanz she needs to stop thinking everytime an album flops after its first single that she needs to put out anothers album and have the same thing happen again...if she keeps it up, its going to backfire so hard.....

And yes Usher flopped the worst this year. How you go from selling 9mil to 1mil is beyond me.

Like I told Michaelson, its a bit too premature to be comparing "Confesions'" overall sales to "Here I stand" which has only been released for a couple of months. The 19million figure was established after "Confessions" had its run on the charts. It has hardly been 6 months since "Here I stand" has been released but you're already comparing it to its predacessor's overall sales?
Rather compare how both albums did in their opening week.. "Confessions" apperantly sold 1.1million, while "Here I stand" sold about 400 000, maybe on that basis you can talk about a flop.

So very true...

shut up daniel lol...success is based on sales if it wasnt then michael wouldnt be as big cuz thriller would not have mattered if it wasnt about sales..the tracks r bangin but its mainly praised for how well it SOLD. I dont care how bad an album is if it sales well then it wont be considered a flop. So sales MEAN ALOT

What about Luther Vandross? Luther Vandross sold about 30 million records in his 25+ year career. This is after several releases. Would you say Luther's albums were all flops and that Luther Vandross' career was one giant flop? 30 million is a nice round number, but this is after about 25 albums as well.

Last edited:
So very true...

A flop is a flop ...quality or not , why dont you understand that we are not talking about quality but quantity , like it or not ,thats important .

If michael doenst sell well for the next album, what do you think will happen to him ?

dont behave as if you dont understand what michaelsson means , the Topic is :the Flop of the Year no more no less .

What about Luther Vandross? Luther Vandross sold about 30 million records in his 25+ year career. This is after several releases. Would you say Luther's albums were all flops and that Luther Vandross' career was one giant flop? 30 million is a nice round number, but this is after about 25 albums as well.

Luther Vandros is respected for the quality of his music not for his sales since he has never sold anything .

Fortunately for him ,he has never sold million album , he has never been beyond a million of album , so he has never had any pression on him for the sales . But if he would have sold one of his album beyond 15 million , he would have been pressured for the sales , and if his next album wouldnt reach at least 10 million , it would have been considered as a flop yes .

Here we are talking about artists who have always been considered as seller , like janet , etc .... . Artists who put several of their albums on the charts , unfortunately for them they are pressured for the sales .

For example Latoya Jackson is not pressured at all for the sales because she has never sold anything , so we cannot tell it Flop since she has never sold anything , i dont know if you understand .

Luther Vandros is respected for the quality of his music not for his sales since he has never sold anything .

Fortunately for him ,he has never sold million album , he has never been beyond a million of album , so he has never had any pression on him for the sales . But if he would have sold one of his album beyond 15 million , he would have been pressured for the sales , and if his next album wouldnt reach at least 10 million , it would have been considered as a flop yes .

Here we are talking about artists who have always been considered as seller , like janet , etc .... . Artists who put several of their albums on the charts , unfortunately for them they are pressured for the sales .

For example Latoya Jackson is not pressured at all for the sales because she has never sold anything , so we cannot tell it Flop since she has never sold anything , i dont know if you understand .
I get what you're saying and it completely makes sense.

It we're doing flops based on sales, then Bad flopped compared to Thriller and HIStory flopped compared to Dangerous and Invincible flopped compared to HIStory.

I wouldn't exactly call those albums "flops"

SIDEWALK said:
Will.I.Am & N*E*R*D

however much i love these guys, their albums sucked.
Will's last album was definitely an artistic flop, but apparently this thread is concerning the 'importance' of 21st Century marketed sales :p

though i don't agree on NERD's album - they had a nice thing going with 'Seeing Sounds'. nothing special (as usual), but good, imo.

-----

these days we only have rarities of mainstream SUCCESS (and i mean big artistically and commercially) like the talents and heights of Amy Winehouse or Coldplay. but to look at the marketed Soulja Boys (minstrel show) or Lil Waynes or Rihannas (sorry son) and for so many of them to have top commercial successes,,, it just degrades the importance of the big industry.

Last edited:

Yeah I understand you girl, it makes perfect sense:yes:

It we're doing flops based on sales, then Bad flopped compared to Thriller and HIStory flopped compared to Dangerous and Invincible flopped compared to HIStory.

I wouldn't exactly call those albums "flops"

Maybe you just dont want to understand the TOPIC !

Why don't you qualify it by saying "commercial flop"?

Comparing "Bad", "Dangerous", "History" and "Invincible" against eachother isn't relivent as "Thriller" was a phenom, and the subsequent albums sold massively when compared against the entire REST of the industry.

You determine commercial flops based on comparison against general sales, across the board.

Back