February 2009, 30th Anniversary of "Off The Wall"

At first I was disappointed when I read the title of this thread. However, I have started to think differently...

Maybe Sony are doing this (as well as their HEAVY promotion for Thriller 25 and KoP albums) because they know that the next Michael Jackson album is going to be HUGE and they want to be a part of it.

Maybe this is Sony proving to Jackson's camp that they are serious about promoting and being a part of his new album as they know that it will be a massive money maker.

I guess these albums were also tests for them to see if Michael can still generate sales (which clearly he can) and in the process, building hype for the next new album in case he does release it under Sony.

Just a thought....

I think so too

They could do it like this:

Disc 1-
1. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
2. Rock With You
3.Workin' Day And Night
4. Get On The Floor
5. Off The Wall
6. Girlfriend
7. She's Out Of My Life
8. I Can't Help It
9. It's The Falling In Love
10. Burn This Disco Out
11. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Original Demo Recording)
12. Rock With You(Original Demo Recording)*
13. Workin' Day And Night (Original Demo Recording)
14. Off The Wall (Instrumental)
15. Get On The Floor (Original Album Mix)
16. Rock With You (Original Album Mix)

Disc 2
1. Sunset Driver
2. Got To Find A Way Somehow
3. Susie
4. She's Out Of My Life (Alternate Vocal Mix)
5. unreleased OTW track
6. unreleased OTW track
7. unreleased OTW track
8. unreleased OTW track
9. Off The Wall (7' remix)
10. Rock With You (Frankie's Favorite Club Mix)
11. Workin' Day And Night (Instrumental)
12. I Can't Help It (Instrumental)
13. Rock With You (Instrumental)
14. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Alternate Version) (if one exists)
15. It's The Falling In Love (Longer Version) (if one exists)

Completely Remastered
Demos and Alternate Mixes
Newly Revamped booklet with essays and words of expression by Quincy Jones, George Duke, Louis Johnson, Nelson George, Greg Philliganes, and Bruce Swedien
rare photos with scans of memorbillia

and then they could do an "Ultimate Albums" installment for OTW on VH1

nice!! but dream on.. it probably will have new remixes and.. umm For All Time again. Sony are useless.

Well, Sony could re-use some of the bonus cuts released on TUC and SE 2001, along wth some remixes from the 90's. I'm not sure there are lot of unreleased songs fro that era as the sessions were completed in three weeks and I think they ued / tested less tracks than they did for Thriller and albums onwards.

As far as videos go, MJ doesn't want SOOML short film to be released on DVD as he doesn't like it, and I really really doubt the set may include a Live concert video as well, mainly because it includes the Jacksons and that it's pre-Thriller related... But you never know...
I didn't know MJ doesn't like the SOOML video. I always thought it was strange that whenever there were MJ video marathons, they would never show that video(in the USA). I guess MJ told the music channels to not play the video.

Oh,God!!!On brazilian board some fans dont like to read about it.

They are talking that MJ* will deteriorate OTW and another stuff...

The moderators are working very hard to contain what they are saying cuz they arent good...:(

(*) MJ????:huh:

I must say, I'm slightly disappointed that Sony/Legacy have merely decided to re-release OTW as a way of celebration.

The re-releases of these products could potentially have a negative impact on Michael's relevance today. I don't argue that they have an immediate effect in sparking interest in Michael again whereby people start to appreciate Michael's musical ability, however this is very short-lived. I guess we all expected this from Sony/Legacy though. They continually try to capitalize on the re-release of Michael's previous work.

Olivertom - what you mentioned is very interesting. A theory that might be very worthwhile considering. If true then it seems to be very promising for Michael's future proposed musical ventures. Lets just hope that its this strategy that they are adopting and not just to generate a quick buck.

Like I mentioned on other boards. I wish that some new innovative and creative ideas where considered in the celebration of this album before opting for the predictable re-release.

Well, Sony could re-use some of the bonus cuts released on TUC and SE 2001, along wth some remixes from the 90's. I'm not sure there are lot of unreleased songs fro that era as the sessions were completed in three weeks and I think they ued / tested less tracks than they did for Thriller and albums onwards.

As far as videos go, MJ doesn't want SOOML short film to be released on DVD as he doesn't like it, and I really really doubt the set may include a Live concert video as well, mainly because it includes the Jacksons and that it's pre-Thriller related... But you never know...
3 weeks? The sessions took place for 7 months

I must say, I'm slightly disappointed that Sony/Legacy have merely decided to re-release OTW as a way of celebration.

The re-releases of these products could potentially have a negative impact on Michael's relevance today. I don't argue that they have an immediate effect in sparking interest in Michael again whereby people start to appreciate Michael's musical ability, however this is very short-lived. I guess we all expected this from Sony/Legacy though. They continually try to capitalize on the re-release of Michael's previous work.

Olivertom - what you mentioned is very interesting. A theory that might be very worthwhile considering. If true then it seems to be very promising for Michael's future proposed musical ventures. Lets just hope that its this strategy that they are adopting and not just to generate a quick buck.

Like I mentioned on other boards. I wish that some new innovative and creative ideas where considered in the celebration of this album before opting for the predictable re-release.

Well they can't capitalize on anything else, because their isn't anything else to capitalize on, lol...If anything, they're keeping Michael's name out there, because without these "re-releases", Michael's name could be considered irrelevant at this present time. I don't know why people get so upset with Sony for releasing so many old things. What else is there to release? The only person we're waiting on is Michael.

Well they can't capitalize on anything else, because their isn't anything else to capitalize on, lol...If anything, they're keeping Michael's name out there, because without these "re-releases", Michael's name could be considered irrelevant at this present time. I don't know why people get so upset with Sony for releasing so many old things. What else is there to release? The only person we're waiting on is Michael.

Exactly. Though I don't buy much compilations, re-releases of landmark albums ain't really that crazy as long as you do it right.

Back