Favorite version of Slave To The Rhythm?

Original. Don't like the other 2 at all really. They just feel a bit cold (well Stewart's plain sucks IMO). The original just grooves better IMO.

i would like the max methods version without bieber. would be a good club/dance remix.

but the bieber vocals ruin everything for me....

Absolutely, the original. It's amazing how Michael's demos are so rich and full even when they're not finished - compared to the finished versions. That was his magic. Everything else sucks the feel, the essence right out of it. I do like the reworked version, it's dancey, and fun, but just not MJ :D

I love the remix version of STTR and the one that was done on BBMAs i too like that little part where Michael was dancing love that part. I go back alot to watch it.

1. Trickys 2010 demo and finished leak. Always loved this from the first listen. Prefer the demo slightly due to its raw sound and the ending. Don't know why he cut that for the finished version.
2. Original Demo. Gotta say I do dig the 8 bittyness of this one, though the music fails slightly at giving the vocals the epicness they deserve.
3. Timberlands 2014 version. Everything starts so well on this. Great build up and when the beat finally drops all hell broke lose in my house. But that was it. It just stayed there for the rest of the song and I was nearly asleep by the end.

I refuse to rate Biebers insult. Though musically its pretty good.

I like the demo.
Timbaland's version is ok but doesn't have a very inspirational production.
I think the 2010 version is just poor.

Timbaland's version.
Tricky's Version
The Demo

I like that the first two are so danceable. I'm so used to listening to the Tricky version, but I love how hip-hop Timabaland's version is. Big improvement from Tricky. The Demo is a little too laid back for me. I was actually surprised how laid back it was. However, I love the late 80's early 90's feel of the song, and the groove of the song. I just have to be in a certain mood for it.

I like the original on Xscape and the end on BBMA: Slave to the rhythm of LOVE LOVE LOVE!

In fact when I have time I'll make my own remix.
I'm presently making a CD with the 8 songs with my faves in the order I like to hear them and dance to it.
I got:

1)So good MJ/Timberlake
2)Slave original
3)Place original
4)Children original
5)Loving you new version
6)Xscape new version
7)Chicago new version
8)Gansta original

Try it like that and you'll be dancing for 35 minutes straight. :chillin:

The Demo, even though its quite simple and repetitive, but most demos are. Tricky had a good idea, poor execution, but great to see he fit a completly different sound to the song that made me still wanna dance to it.

Timbaland's version.
Tricky's Version
The Demo

I like that the first two are so danceable. I'm so used to listening to the Tricky version, but I love how hip-hop Timabaland's version is. Big improvement from Tricky. The Demo is a little too laid back for me. I was actually surprised how laid back it was. However, I love the late 80's early 90's feel of the song, and the groove of the song. I just have to be in a certain mood for it.

I love the demo, but like you say it is laid back. I think the Timbaland version has more of a punch to it and is more danceable. Also I noticed the new version has his vocals very up front and vibrant.

The 2010 leaked version is one of my all time favorites. Sucks we will never get it in wav with proper stereo. This would have a huge hit. Would have carried the album. I hate the new version. The original demo is catchy.

I agree. The new version starts off getting you all pumped up with nowhere to go. I get the same sensation from the new version of do you know where your children are. They should have just touched up the unfinished leaked version.

2010 Version is the best one...but I would combine it with the beginning of the 2014 version. The beginning of the new version is EPIC! 2010's version has the best bridge of them all IMO.

The 2010 leaked version is one of my all time favorites. Sucks we will never get it in wav with proper stereo. This would have a huge hit. Would have carried the album.
Blue Gangsta 2010 Mix w/ Full Instrumentation as well, I would love to have that one in full WAV and Do You Know Where Your Children Are 2010 Mix

The Timbaland one grew on me greatly. It's easily the best version now that I listen to them all.

I always prefer Michael's untouched recording's, the original demo instrumental seems to be more true to the intended story of the song. Timbaland's pulls away pretty vastly, it's not supposed to be an up-beat dance track.

I've only heard the Xscape deluxe versions, because I don't listen to or download pirated music. Of those two, they both bring a lot to the table and I like them a lot, with the original edging out the "touch up". The Billboards remix was tight, too! The Timbaland version is the one more club-friendly.

Slave To The Rhythm is one of the most frustrating songs ever !!!
Every version I've heard is missing something.
Tricky had a good idea to make it modern, but it just doesn't feel like a MJ song.
Max Method version, had justin bieber...enough said
Timbaland’s version, has the right idea, but it never catches fire, it could easily be a be on the 20/20 experience (nothing against that album) not the smash it should be on this album.
The Demo, I love it, I enjoy the simplicity and how it captures the era, problem with it is, it’s to repetitive, it sounds too dated. It reminds of the demo of Dangerous, in that he liked it but it didn’t move him enough.

i think they were too scared finishing that song back in 1991.
vocals are out of this world, how would you produce the right music for it?

SmoothCriminal1995;4022878 said:
Slave

The Demo, I love it, I enjoy the simplicity and how it captures the era,................it sounds too dated. It reminds of the demo of Dangerous, in that he liked it but it didn’t move him enough.

I personally enjoy both very much, I love the story it conveys ,his amazing vocals the bridge portion and I love the way Timbaland made it more danceable and club friendly. The Billboard version is sooo great- I wish there was a way we could get a hold of that version.

As far as the demo I agree with you completely on the above points. Couldn't have said it any better. :D

I have to say... Timbaland did good on the modern version.... But the original was pretty good. So I have to say I like both versions

SmoothCriminal1995;4022878 said:
Slave To The Rhythm is one of the most frustrating songs ever !!!
Every version I've heard is missing something.
Tricky had a good idea to make it modern, but it just doesn't feel like a MJ song.
Max Method version, had justin bieber...enough said
Timbaland’s version, has the right idea, but it never catches fire, it could easily be a be on the 20/20 experience (nothing against that album) not the smash it should be on this album.
The Demo, I love it, I enjoy the simplicity and how it captures the era, problem with it is, it’s to repetitive, it sounds too dated. It reminds of the demo of Dangerous, in that he liked it but it didn’t move him enough.
I completely agree, Tim's version of Slave to the Rhythm definitely has/had the most potential of all 4 versions to be a hit, the album mix is just missing that special touch by how quickly it ends. The Billboard Awards edit we've all heard is how it should have sounded to begin with with that breakdown.

i built my own STTR version, with alternate ending.
added the hologram mix' ending, heres a Snippet (stream lower quality): http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/28028661/file.html
album version at the beginning and at 0:08 BBMA version.

(i loved the dance routine in the song and this "breakdown" at 0:52)

Back