Elton John 'cannot adopt [a 14 month old boy] in Ukraine' UPDATE: He and his partner welcome son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Elton John 'cannot adopt [a 14 month old boy] in Ukraine'

Just wanna say congrats to them both!

Elton John and his partner David Furnish have become parents of a son born to a surrogate mother, it was disclosed today.

Nick Allen in Los Angeles 8:43AM GMT 28 Dec 2010

The boy, who has been named Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, was born on Christmas Day in the United States.

“We are overwhelmed with happiness and joy at this very special moment,” they said in a statement issued to magazine Us Weekly. “Zachary is healthy and doing really well, and we are very proud and happy parents.” The rock star’s spokeswoman confirmed the report but said no details of the surrogacy arrangement would be disclosed and they intended to respect the privacy of the surrogate. The boy weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces and was 22 inches long.

John, 63, and Canadian filmmaker Furnish, 48, have been together since the early 1990s. They entered into a civil union in 2005 and tried to adopt an AIDS-infected orphan in Ukraine last year, but were thwarted by government regulations.

Their son’s middle name “Levon” is thought to be a reference to John’s 1971 song of the same name, whose lyrics were written by his long time collaborator Bernie Taupin and inspired by drummer and singer Levon Helm.

Speaking in January the singer said: “David and I have always talked about adoption, David always wanted to adopt a child and I always said 'no’ because I am 62 and I think because of the travelling I do and the life I have, maybe it wouldn’t be fair for the child.” But he said he had changed his mind after their “hearts were stolen” by the child they met in Ukraine, who they were not allowed to adopt. He said he now felt he could “give a future” to a child.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...on-John-and-David-Furnish-become-parents.html

Re: Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John the new son of Elton John and David Furnish.

congrats to them :yes: there is nothing wrong with that :no:

Re: Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John the new son of Elton John and David Furnish.

I read the news in the morning. I'm very happy for them. The baby will bring so much happiness into their lives. God bless the little angel Zachary.

I wonder if the name Jackson is a tribute to Michael.

I read the news in the morning. I'm very happy for them. The baby will bring so much happiness into their lives. God bless the little angel Zachary.

I wonder if the name Jackson is a tribute to Michael.

That's what I thought too :) but of course the press ignore that..

I'm happy for them as well, despite what others may think about this.. such as the horrible news commentator the other night who said literally 'buying a baby will tarnish their image' - some people are such a-holes.

Congrats to them, I'm sure the baby will be treasured :)

I'm going to merge this with the existing thread we have on this topic. :)

i wonder if he's hoping for twice the midas touch music career for his son by naming him both John and Jackson.

good for them...if they want to be parents then no one should tell them they are to old..:)

Re: Elton John 'cannot adopt [a 14 month old boy] in Ukraine'

It has nothing to do with his sexual preference. He's 62 years old. alot of people are lucky to live to 70, so imagine how that kid will feel if his father pops his clogs in 8 years time. The rules are the same for everyone. Elton John shouldnt expect preferential treatment because he is famous and has money.

8 years in a loving home with loving parents is 8 more years of love than this child would receive in an orphanage.

The rules are NOT the same. Especially not for those that are being discriminated against based on their sexuality.

Ever been to an orphanage in Ukraine? I have. By the way, Ukraine will let adopt terminally ill parents- seen it. But I guess 62 year old Elton John was "too much".

I'm pretty sure that Elton John was used to 'exemplify' something due to his high profile. Because you'd be surprised what else 'goes' in Ukraine when those adopting fall into the "low profile" category.

So lifestyle?

Not a natural part of human being...?

As for a lifestyle, its unacceptable... to me, being a bio father thats different...

Ya know, last I heard, even 'those gays' can by bio dads...one way or the other. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I wished the homophobia and discrimination (and please nobody lecture me on "phobia"...) would stay off this board.

Last edited:
I am not homophobic; I personally do not care unless this subculture is not being pushed into my face. It has been pushed more and more recently and I do not feel comfortable with this because I have a son too. And I want him to have a traditional family and be interested in girls.

Whatever people do behind closed doors, does not bother me. But I would not agree that somebody chooses a sexual orientation for this newborn. This boy will not have another choice but to be gay because if he was born straight in his mind, his sexuality will certainly pushed to gay direction. Yes, I can be tolerant and very loyal to people who has different sexuality but, excuse me, isn’t that too far? They already can get married. Fine. I am OK with this too.

But, tolerance cannot go that far. God created man and woman for a reason. to produce children. And God knows what this child will feel in the future. This child could end up with damage personality. Money and fame is not everything in this life. It is a way far from that.

There are many single parents on this Earth, like Michael was. It is not great, but it is not bad for a child because child's mind is not being pushed in any direction. It is being assumed in child's mind that there is a mother or father somewhere. With gay families it is totally different imo.

Last edited:
This boy will not have another choice but to be gay because if he was born straight in his mind, his sexuality will certainly pushed to gay direction. .

That isnt always the case. One of my other fave singers is a gay man but his parents are straight male/female couple who have been married for many years and he did date woman for a while but i guess he figured out who he really was and didnt wanna deny his feelings anymore.

And all of his family are straight so i dont think it whether if the parents are gay or not, it more how that individual feels

8701girl;3163530 said:
That isnt always the case. One of my other fave singers is a gay man but his parents are straight male/female couple who have been married for many years and he did date woman for a while but i guess he figured out who he really was and didnt wanna deny his feelings anymore.

And all of his family are straight so i dont think it whether if the parents are gay or not, it more how that individual feels

Sexuality is complicated subject and it is being developed under certain circumstances since the baby is born. It is not only about how individual feels as an adult. In traditional families both sexes are introduced in EQUAL proportions. In this case, child is being given a choice. This is what you are talking about.

This question is not about gay rights, this question is about children’s rights. This kid more likely will have confused sexuality and as a result damage personality. In ancient Greece gay relationships were a part of the culture and philosophy but Ancient Greeks used to rise kids in traditional families and they had straight rules. There were not stupid.

Socrates was executed just because he developed very close relationships with boys during his philosophy classes.

God created man and woman for a reason. If gay families want kids, they should be able to have them on their own without anybody else involved.

^Wow, that's pretty harsh. I think it matters most that a child is loved by his/her parent(s). Whether it's a man/woman, man, man/man, woman/woman, woman family doesn't really matter. If there's no love most likely the child will be damaged. I don't think you grow up to be gay just because your parents are. And if so, that's just fine. We're all equal. I'm reminded of the movie The Birdcage about this topic. Hilarious.

Anyway, congratulations to the happy couple and their new son!

Socrates was executed just because he developed very close relationships with boys during his philosophy classes.

That's factually wrong.

Socrates' trial and execution should be mandatory reading for MJ fans for a number of reasons.
Socrates was the fleshy wound in the mind of highly conservative rulers, just as MJ was/is. Socrates was a threat, just as MJ still is a threat. Somebody who refused to "know their place."

It's mind blowing that MJ fans of all people wouldn't be the first to jump at these uncanny parallels in unjust prosecution when the alleged 'crime' has more to do with speaking one's mind.

Apparently MJ was well versed in all things Socrates. During the jury selection of his own trial (just trying to remember the context and time frame correctly) Michael even spoke to his own defense about Socrates drinking the hemlock. Or it might have been a book seller who was relayed this story through a former member of Michael's defense team.

No need to employ brilliant Socrates as the warning example of what happens to gay people.

Last edited:
That's factually wrong.

Socrates' trial and execution should be mandatory reading for MJ fans for a number of reasons.
Socrates was the fleshy wound in the mind of highly conservative rulers, just as MJ was/is. Socrates was a threat, just as MJ still is a threat. Somebody who refused to "know their place."

It's mind blowing that MJ fans of all people wouldn't be the first to jump at these uncanny parallels in unjust prosecution when the alleged 'crime' has more to do with speaking one's mind.

Apparently MJ was well versed in all things Socrates. During the jury selection of his own trial (just trying to remember the context and time frame correctly) Michael even spoke to his own defense about Socrates drinking the hemlock. Or it might have been a book seller who was relayed this story through a former member of Michael's defense team.

No need to employ brilliant Socrates as the warning example of what happens to gay people.

Dear Lord! Do you see a difference? Socrates was HOMOSEXUAL. It is WELL KNOWN fact. He was executed because his relationships with young boys were not accepted. MJ was HETEROSEXUAL male. And it makes a big difference. Socrates was sexually interested in boys during his classes and it well documented. MJ was NOT sexually interested in boys. He said it MANY times in his interviews and even went trough a trial because of that.

You cannot compare two cases because it is like comparing a finger with an ass. I even have no idea why you are bringing MJ into it? Do you believe he was gay?
I do not know what Michael said about Socrates. It is all rumors. There is no factual material behind it. It is like Ian Helperin book about MJ being gay.

Edited: Besides, even if MJ said something about Socrates, he probably did not believe that he was guilty in any wrong doing but it nothing to do with suppoting and accepting sexual relationships between boys and him. All what Mj said comes out twisted as ususal. No surprise.

Last edited:
Asedora;3163141 said:
I am not homophobic; I personally do not care unless this subculture is not being pushed into my face. It has been pushed more and more recently and I do not feel comfortable with this because I have a son too. And I want him to have a traditional family and be interested in girls.

First of all, we gays are not pushing our "lifestyle" into your face. We are fighting for our rights to be treated as equally as you straights.

As for your son, "wanting him to have a traditional family and be interested in girls" is immoral and unrealistic. He needs to be able to decide on his own who he is interested in. You cannot force your ideal lifestyle upon him. Either he will be interested in girls or guys.

Whatever people do behind closed doors, does not bother me. But I would not agree that somebody chooses a sexual orientation for this newborn. This boy will not have another choice but to be gay because if he was born straight in his mind, his sexuality will certainly pushed to gay direction. Yes, I can be tolerant and very loyal to people who has different sexuality but, excuse me, isn’t that too far? They already can get married. Fine. I am OK with this too.

You've made the same baseless assumption that most homophobes make: being gay is not a choice, nor is it contagious. I was raised in a "traditional" Roman Catholic family, but I knew from a young age that I was attracted to the same sex. I didn't wake up one morning and choose to be gay.

But, tolerance cannot go that far. God created man and woman for a reason. to produce children. And God knows what this child will feel in the future. This child could end up with damage personality. Money and fame is not everything in this life. It is a way far from that.

God also created men and women to contribute to the Earth in other ways besides making babies. We gays are not attracted to the opposite sex. Therefore, we will not procreate. Instead, I believe that our purpose in life is to adopt the less fortunate children who need a loving, caring, nurturing home.

There are many single parents on this Earth, like Michael was. It is not great, but it is not bad for a child because child's mind is not being pushed in any direction. It is being assumed in child's mind that there is a mother or father somewhere. With gay families it is totally different imo.

That's just your opinion. There is no scientific factual basis to back it up. If you're going to use the Bible as your source, save it. The Bible is not a guidebook on how to live your life. That comes from two places: the heart and the mind. Those are the two places in which I realized my destiny: to marry a man and to adopt less fortunate children. I never had a desire to procreate with a woman because I am not attracted to them.

Dear Lord! Do you see a difference? Socrates was HOMOSEXUAL. It is WELL KNOWN fact. He was executed because his relationships with young boys were not accepted. MJ was HETEROSEXUAL male. And it makes a big difference. Socrates was sexually interested in boys during his classes and it well documented. MJ was NOT sexually interested in boys. He said it MANY times in his interviews and even went trough a trial because of that.

You cannot compare two cases because it is like comparing a finger with an ass. I even have no idea why you are bringing MJ into it? Do you believe he was gay?
I do not know what Michael said about Socrates. It is all rumors. There is no factual material behind it. It is like Ian Helperin book about MJ being gay.

Edited: Besides, even if MJ said something about Socrates, he probably did not believe that he was guilty in any wrong doing but it nothing to do with suppoting and accepting sexual relationships between boys and him. All what Mj said comes out twisted as ususal. No surprise.

Both Socrates and MJ were unjustly persecuted because they posed a threat to the narrow minded conservative minds of their 'peers'. It's quite possible to compare unjust persecution. Unjust persecution is the unifier here.

I never read Ian Halperin's book, so I wouldn't want to talk about something I have no knowledge of.

It is quite possible to compare the unjust persecution of both Socrates and Michael Jackson. *goes off in search of her own postings, just to make sure I didn't unintentinally declare Maestro gay. :cheeky: Although I do have utter confidence I never stated that.*

Last edited:
First of all, we gays are not pushing our "lifestyle" into your face. We are fighting for our rights to be treated as equally as you straights.

As for your son, "wanting him to have a traditional family and be interested in girls" is immoral and unrealistic. He needs to be able to decide on his own who he is interested in. You cannot force your ideal lifestyle upon him. Either he will be interested in girls or guys.

You've made the same baseless assumption that most homophobes make: being gay is not a choice, nor is it contagious. I was raised in a "traditional" Roman Catholic family, but I knew from a young age that I was attracted to the same sex. I didn't wake up one morning and choose to be gay.

God also created men and women to contribute to the Earth in other ways besides making babies. We gays are not attracted to the opposite sex. Therefore, we will not procreate. Instead, I believe that our purpose in life is to adopt the less fortunate children who need a loving, caring, nurturing home.

That's just your opinion. There is no scientific factual basis to back it up. If you're going to use the Bible as your source, save it. The Bible is not a guidebook on how to live your life. That comes from two places: the heart and the mind. Those are the two places in which I realized my destiny: to marry a man and to adopt less fortunate children. I never had a desire to procreate with a woman because I am not attracted to them.

:clapping: That was very well written. Thank you. Rep added. It's about time these ignorant views about homosexuality are a thing of the past. And I like your view on adopting less fortunate kids. Thank God not everyone is procreating - there are too many people on earth already.

Asedora;3163947 said:
Sexuality is complicated subject and it is being developed under certain circumstances since the baby is born. It is not only about how individual feels as an adult. In traditional families both sexes are introduced in EQUAL proportions. In this case, child is being given a choice. This is what you are talking about.

Guess what: I was raised by a mother and a father, along with two sisters, but I still turned out to be gay anyway. It wasn't a choice; it was me being true to myself.

This question is not about gay rights, this question is about children’s rights. This kid more likely will have confused sexuality and as a result damage personality. In ancient Greece gay relationships were a part of the culture and philosophy but Ancient Greeks used to rise kids in traditional families and they had straight rules. There were not stupid.
Well let me tell you something about "confused sexuality": I was nearly damaged by my traditional Roman Catholic upbringing because it conflicted with my true self. I knew that as a child, if I came out, I would probably be shunned by my parents and, at worst, be taken to be "cured." I waited until I was 18 to come out, by which time my parents had no legal right to do anything to me. Luckily, they were more supportive than I had hoped, but the trauma of not being able to express myself as a teen had already been done.

I do not know all of the facts about Socrates, so I cannot comment on that.

God created man and woman for a reason. If gay families want kids, they should be able to have them on their own without anybody else involved.
But He obviously didn't intend for every man or woman to procreate. Why do you think some people are infertile? Why do you think some people are gay? The reason: to adopt the less fortunate children who were born as a result of straight people who shouldn't even be procreating in the first place.

:clapping: That was very well written. Thank you. Rep added. It's about time these ignorant views about homosexuality are a thing of the past. And I like your view on adopting less fortunate kids. Thank God not everyone is procreating - there are too many people on earth already.

Thank you Roosje.

Not only are there way too many people on Earth already, but there are also too many incapable people who shouldn't even be procreating. The problem is that they are indoctrinated with all of these silly religious beliefs.

^ Exactly, by some of the logic here, everyone would be straight as they were raused by 2 straight parents.

Being gay is nature, not nuture.

You've made the same baseless assumption that most homophobes make: being gay is not a choice, nor is it contagious. ...
Thanks for spelling it out.

God also created men and women to contribute to the Earth in other ways besides making babies. ...

Instead, I believe that our purpose in life is to adopt the less fortunate children who need a loving, caring, nurturing home.

...Those are the two places in which I realized my destiny: to marry a man and to adopt less fortunate children.

Children need us regardless of their parents sexual orientation.
My neighbor (and his husband) is raising his grandchild and I am still saddened that my son lost his playmate (they were like brothers) after we moved away. I lost wonderful neighbors and friends who are wonderful living and breathing beings who contribute to this Earth in the manner you described.
I truly miss them.

Last edited:
I am going to hold my tongue on specific off topic issues being said in this thread as if they are fact.

I could get myself all worked up, but I learned a long time a go people want to believe what they want to believe if it allows them to do whatever they want to do. I also know my opinion is not in the majority. Who cares. I don't need second hand confirmation for what I believe.

I just want to say, rep for you Asedora coming from me.

Lastly, this thread is not about the merits of being gay. People have had their say in this thread. Now, can we please get back to the topic abut Elton and his son?

Can we discuss more what we think about that and stop the praise or condemnation of a lifestyle as a whole? You are free to start threads about other topics if you wish. But lets get this one back on topic. Fell free to PM one another to work out any additional differences in opinions. :)

Thanks! :)

Thank you Roosje.

Not only are there way too many people on Earth already, but there are also too many incapable people who shouldn't even be procreating. The problem is that they are indoctrinated with all of these silly religious beliefs.

You are right. Poor kids. I'm all for religion when it instills some real wisdom in people, but when it's hate or ignorance in disguise it's just really sad. I truly think humanity is not where it could be because of some religion's dogmas. By the way, I never understood Christians being anti-gay. It's really old testament (and even there it's just a minor subject) - Jesus was about love, for all of us.

You are right. Poor kids. I'm all for religion when it instills some real wisdom in people, but when it's hate or ignorance in disguise it's just really sad. I truly think humanity is not where it could be because of some religion's dogmas. By the way, I never understood Christians being anti-gay. It's really old testament (and even there it's just a minor subject) - Jesus was about love, for all of us.

I've become very selective about religion myself. Part of me is trying to reject all religion because of the traumatic experiences I've had as a result of my religious upbringing. However, part of me still wants to believe in God and Jesus Christ.

Thank you Roosje for getting back on topic :D

I appreciate it. I know it is not always easy. :)

Can everyone else please follow suit?

Thank you.

How come Elton seems to have avoided all the flack that Madonna got when she adopted from Malawi?

Especially when you consider that Madonna also built an orphanage for £1m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back