Dont Use The Past Tense

well..I tend to use both! without ever thinking about it.
but I think that when I'm talking about Michael as a person I say "was" like, his smile was the SWEETEST! because that belonged to his physical body..you know.. Or, he did a lot of great things for charity!
when I talk about his videos, music ..I say IS..because his music will always be THE best

I don"t use the past tense. It doesn"t go with Michael. He is the greatest, most beautiful man in the world. He is the love of my life.

well..I tend to use both! without ever thinking about it.
but I think that when I'm talking about Michael as a person I say "was" like, his smile was the SWEETEST! because that belonged to his physical body..you know.. Or, he did a lot of great things for charity!
when I talk about his videos, music ..I say IS..because his music will always be THE best

Well put, I have to agree with you on this.

I understand that he is no longer with us, but I hate when people use the past tense when they talk about MJ! It makes it that much sadder. People keep saying he WAS great, he HAD good music. He may be gone, but all the things he did for us are still very much here in our lives. He IS great and his music IS amazing. Let's keep the beautiful memories alive and keep his spirit going. Because it is very much still here!

I came to that conclusion a few days after he passed.
It bothered my soul so much, how could I referr to him in that sense?
I couldnt. And I dont. Some people even say stuff like,
"I loved him so much!"
Just know this, his memory will forever live and his spirit is gonna
keep going regardless. There's nothing hard about that. :)

I love you Michael!

I'm so sorry
Last week my English conversation class's assignment was writing about 'Your favorite person'. I wrote every sentence in past tense, and my last line of the composition was 'I hate to use past tense'.

Let's be honest guys, just hardcore fans like us wouldn't use past tense. a friend of mine critized me a little for using present tense with Michael and I answered him: "While I live, he won't die. Michael is always gonna be in my dreams, in my memories and in my :heart:."

Let's be honest guys, just hardcore fans like us wouldn't use past tense. a friend of mine critized me a little for using present tense with Michael and I answered him: "While I live, he won't die. Michael is always gonna be in my dreams, in my memories and in my :heart:."

Oh come on.
Just because you don't use past tense doesn't make you any more a fan than those who do.

I AGREE , i HATE it when people say : he .was. amazing entertainer or whatever............
i really hate it!!
he wasn't a great entertainer , he IS a great person , entertainer and everything...........

Michael is just to big for me to use the past tense.
On the 25 of june 2009, forever came that day.
As he will never open his eyes again, he will always be with me trough his music, his live performances and trough the LOVE he spread.
I don't see why I would use the past tense.

I understand that he is no longer with us, but I hate when people use the past tense when they talk about MJ! It makes it that much sadder. People keep saying he WAS great, he HAD good music. He may be gone, but all the things he did for us are still very much here in our lives. He IS great and his music IS amazing. Let's keep the beautiful memories alive and keep his spirit going. Because it is very much still here!
I agree 100%. I was thinking about that just the other day. There is such a thing as something having an "isness" once it has established. Muhammad Ali is the greatest! Martin Luther King is a world changer. Walt Disney is brilliance personified. Michael Jackson is everything that Michael Jackson is. I know everyone is free to do what they want, but I don't see why anyone would ruin an awesome photo of Michael by putting a period on his life by noting that "end" date after his birthdate or speaking of him in past tense.

Just about everyone will see him just as much as they ever did, which was virtually never :giggle: so why even bother killing yourselves over "oh I miss him he's gone" - he's not gone - he's just "away" like he always is :giggle:

Michael Jackson is the greatest entertainer, Michael Jackson is a pioneer, Michael Jackson is the king of our hearts, Michael Jackson is the most beautiful thing ever, Michael Jackson is the sweetest thing ever ... none of that is ever going to change because it can't.

So yeh ... knock it off :giggle: Dude is and forever will BE - period . :yes: :)

My dad is not a big fan of MJ, but yesterday we were watching "Remember His Time" on BET and he slipped up about 10 times. It shows that, even in non-fans, MJ lives on.

aliveandhereforever.jpg

I totaly agree with you:no::(:(
:cry:

I so agree with you. It is very very important to me that I always say "Michael Jackson IS the greatest ever" His music IS the best" and so on. There are some times when people talk about him as a person there might be "He was..." (and I hate it every time!), but when it comes to his music and him as an artist I always, ALWAYS, say "he IS".

I too feel it is a very important thing, to remind people that you can't say "He was the greatest" when there isn't anyone now or ever has, that was greater, so therefore, He IS the greatest!!

Amazing thread. I very much agree. Michael is the person that has left the biggest mark in the last who knows how many years behind. And he is still rocking the world, and he will for who knows how many years ahead. Thank you for this thread. Love you.

Amazing thread. I very much agree. Michael is the person that has left the biggest mark in the last who knows how many years behind. And he is still rocking the world, and he will for who knows how many years ahead. Thank you for this thread. Love you.

Aww thanks! :) U guys really make my days better! idk wat i would do if i didnt have MJJC!!!!

That bothers me too!
People always tend to say "He was...", "His music was..."... why was?? The people still dance to his music, people still loves his music, Michael is still the best-selling artist, he is the greatest entertainer and Michael is still the most wonderful human being. Period. No need to use "was"... and for myself... I still use "is" and present tense because I did my whole life... I'm not willing to change it.

Oooh and I just remember a wonderful sentence, I don't know if it really fits here (because it's spiritual) but I was thinking about it a bit more lately.
It's by Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes:

"Energy never dies - it just transforms"

Thank you for creating this thread, ArabianGirl!!!

I too hate it when people refer to Michael in the past tense. I understand why they do of course and obviously we can't blame them but as everyone here said, he IS still here and will always be.

And just because we use the present tense doesn't mean we're delusional. Using the present tense doesn't harm anyone and it's less painful for us so why fight it? Anyone is free to use the tense they're more comfortable with of course but to me, Michael is BIGGER than life itself. He's above it all. There's no past, present or future. He just IS. And nothing will ever change that. Love you Michael.

Back