Do You Think MJ Will Top HIStory?

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Now I have to ask. Dose anyone think MJ will top HIStory with this new era?

Now I know it isn't official yet that there is a new album, but AEG president said there will be a new single before the first date. So it seems likely.

And there are strong rumors of a world tour.

So with that in mind. Do you think he can top the success during the HIStory era with a new album and tour?

I'm comparing it to this Era because they are both after HUGE allegations against MJ and when everyone though his career would be over.

Just in case you don't know the full extent of the success made from HIStory, here is a section from my own article on MJ's career.

An exurb from the HIStory section:

9. The HIStory / Blood on the Dance Floor Era, 1995-1999, was one of Michael's busiest eras with two albums, his biggest world tour, some of the most expensive and stunning short films and a heavy media schedule. In 1995 Jackson released another album called "HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I". The album featured one disc of greatest hits from the artists previous fifteen years, while the second disc featured mostly newer songs. It is the biggest-selling double-disc album of all time with worldwide sales of 22 million copies (44 million units). The album had the most expensive marketing campaign in history with $40 million to promote the album. This album also had several singles and music videos. The first one was called "Scream" (a duet with his sister Janet) with a budget of $7 Million, it is to date the most expensive music video ever made. During this time Michael Jackson became the first person in the 37 year history of the Billboard chart to enter straight in at No5, with his single "Scream", breaking a 25 year old record set by the Beatles with "Let It Be" which debut at #6. Then Jackson shattered his own record when his next single "You Are Not Alone" entered in at #1, the first to ever accomplish this, an achievement which became an unprecedented occurrence in the annals of the history of the record arts and sciences. On June 14th, 1995 ABC-TV's Prime Time Live news program screened Michael Jackson- The Man & His Music, including a live interview with Michael and his then wife Lisa Marie Presley. An estimated 60 million viewers tuned in for the interview in the U.S., and rated the highest ABC-TV news magazine program in the channels history. He also accompanied this album with another world tour called the "HIStory world tour". The tour consisted of 82 concerts; it visited 35 countries and was attended by approximately 4.5 million fans, which stays to this day the biggest tour ever in terms of international attendance (4.4 million tickets outside of USA) and the largest tour in terms of attendance for a solo artist. The tour also holds the record for most countries visited by any artist. It became Jackson's most successful tour; the tour grossed a total of over $173.5 million, he has not toured since. And like all of Michael's previous tours, it broke almost every attendance record on the planet and created huge press and media coverage across the globe.. Also the HIStory tour remains largest and most successful tour by a solo artist. A record which was previously held by Jackson's Dangerous Tour and before that his Bad Tour.

10. In 1997, Jackson released Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix, which contained remixes of hit singles from HIStory and five new songs, it was released to promote the HIStory World Tour. The record sold 8 million copies worldwide, becoming the biggest-selling remix album of all time. Jackson also released a 40-minite short-film with this album called "Ghosts"; it is currently the longest music video in history. By the end of 1999, Michael had released three albums, had many singles, released a feature film, toured the world and broke many records. Michael had dominated media headlines and the music charts throughout the era.

Nah. I don't think he will top it. Maybe the "Invincible"-era, but not HIStory.

Yes. I have faith in him. He can even top Thriller if he wants. Which he does. And he will. I swear to God he will.
This new album will be bigger than Thriller.
So watch out darlings !!

If he can get the proper promotion for the album.......something he didn't get towards the end of HIStory....and none at all for BOTDF and Invincible...yes it's possible he can do as good or better.

All it takes is 1 or 2 big hits.

more hope if he did a world tour. and that will create more buzz than only one city even though it is groundbreaking. depends when he puts the album out.

He could top HIStory,but it is going to be hard.He needs a very good promotion,a tour and a little thing called A NEW ALBUM.Michael has a lot of potential,no doubt about it...We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I don't care to be honest, as long as he makes a good record :) He doesn't need to top anything. If I enjoy the record, it just doesn't matter to me.

I think HIStory was a brilliant album, and mainly because Michael wrote/composed and produced more songs alone than on any of his other albums. If Michael does even less collaboration on his new album (if there is a new album), then I don't see why it can't be just as good as HIStory or sligthly better creativity wise. Sales wise it could sell more if Michael gets good critcal response from the media for his O2 concerts. And even though HIStory is a huge selling album with almost or around 20 million, a new album could sell more as the HIStory album was quite expensive even in 1995 with the CD selling for £24. But huge sales are just an added bonus, 8 million like Invincible are good enough sales are any artist and it's the music on the album and how it lives on that's the real success.

My opinion is that Michael can do better in concert than on the HIStory Tour, but I am worried that these concerts will be like the HIStory Tour with too much choreographed dancing. As I want to see more raw solo Michael Jackson on stage like the Bad Tour and Jacksons tours of the late 1970's and 80's.

In reality I'm not too sure what to expect, but I'm sure I'll really like what Michael does even if it is too choreographed like the HIStory Tour. But I do keep it in my mind never to underestimate Michael so I could also be in for a huge surpise and be totally amazed by a new album, and his performance it the O2.

I love everything about HIStory. I miss that era!!! It is the only era I experienced. I remember MJ was on the news practically everyday and whichever country he went to, it was an event!!! Wherever he was, there was commotion. So I don't think he can top HIStory, Invincible yes.

I don't care to be honest, as long as he makes a good record :) He doesn't need to top anything. If I enjoy the record, it just doesn't matter to me.

Agreed! Sometimes I really don't see the sense in comparing every little thing...just enjoy what's to come.

Yes.. I think that MJ can top Thriller.. I have faith in that.. The man is picky and a perfectionist.. In all these years.. I bet quality and melody will dominate the charts again..

I love everything about HIStory. I miss that era!!! It is the only era I experienced. I remember MJ was on the news practically everyday and whichever country he went to, it was an event!!!

Michael actually got his most postive media in years during the HIStory era, after the album was released. Michael looked very happy, and it was also a great time to be a fan with a billiant album, No.1 singles and a tour spanning from 1995 to 1997 with the Blood On The Dance Floor album and No.1 single. I have great memories of that era.

Yes he can of course , after doing the 'This is it' tour he can prove it .. Thats his chance .. But its all about the media , they like spreading false news and stuff , that wasn't like that back in the Thriller era .. thats why I don't think he can top that success. :)

Well i think the press will "kill" him because i think he won,t sing live......
Nothing bad about the show, but they will look for something to break him down.

That's the most ridiculous and unrealistic thing I've heard for a while on this forum.

It's not ridiculous or unrealistic.

When Michael set out to make the WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM 'ridiculous and unrealistic' were what people said then as well.
But as we know, he achieved it. And those pessimists suddenly ran back to their hobbit holes.

You know what I think...more can be done with hope and prayers and love...and faith...than it can with negitivity and stubborness.

Your statement reminds me of the people who say computers are smarter than human beings.

No, they are not.

Human being MADE computers. We are suprior to any piece of technology.

Don't forget who Michael Jackson is before you start saying such things. This kid was abused, hurt, robbed of a childhood, put on trial because he loved children and others saw money in that, e was stripped from all his clothes and photographed and examined naked, he was trashed by the media, he was left alone by those he loved, but this man danced, he sang, he made us come alive with his music.

So you know what, YES he can top Thriller.

No wait - fuck that!

YES HE WILL TOP THRILLER!

^
I'm not.

I'm a person who prays and hopes for Michael every day. I believe in him. I love him. And he can accomplish this.

It's not ridiculous or unrealistic.

When Michael set out to make the WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM 'ridiculous and unrealistic' were what people said then as well.
But as we know, he achieved it. And those pessimists suddenly ran back to their hobbit holes.

You know what I think...more can be done with hope and prayers and love...and faith...than it can with negitivity and stubborness.

Your statement reminds me of the people who say computers are smarter than human beings.

No, they are not.

Human being MADE computers. We are suprior to any piece of technology.

Don't forget who Michael Jackson is before you start saying such things. This kid was abused, hurt, robbed of a childhood, put on trial because he loved children and others saw money in that, e was stripped from all his clothes and photographed and examined naked, he was trashed by the media, he was left alone by those he loved, but this man danced, he sang, he made us come alive with his music.

So you know what, YES he can top Thriller.

No wait - fuck that!

YES HE WILL TOP THRILLER!

Sorry, forgive me. I'm the delusional one. I forgot that during the 80's and 90's the majority of people acquired their music online for free. You are right, I should have really thought this through.

Your argument and logic make much more sense now that I think about it. The new album will top Thriller.

Yes. I have faith in him. He can even top Thriller if he wants. Which he does. And he will. I swear to God he will.
This new album will be bigger than Thriller.
So watch out darlings !!

eh nah. nothing will ever top thriller, not even the man himself. its a different time era now. in the 80s there were no downloading of cds and stuff like that like it is nowdays.

I think a new album could sell around ten millions and that´s it. (which is very good).

^
I'm not.

I'm a person who prays and hopes for Michael every day. I believe in him. I love him. And he can accomplish this.

Praying doesn't solve anything....Michael is ageing, he doesn't have the stamina, he has two kids and etc and hence its precisely delusional to say he will top Thriller, Its not going to happen.

HA HA

HIStory will be made!! and is in the process of being such that!! HISTORY is what is going to happen and all nay sayers and doubters will be evry surprised and shut up!

Many doubt he could ever do the impossibale again, but he will, he is and his new company/promoter is switched onto the fact that the brand MICHAEL JACKSON will and can sell anything !!

Watch this space! Exciting times ahead!!

Terry:ph34r::ph34r:

Back