Detailed list of unreleased songs that could be released

I know i said i wasn't gonna write back but if it's was on michael will that he wanted his unreleased stuff release then i don't care. but if it's not then in my opinion it should be left alone. like others said before we don't know whatever michael would want his unreleased music release we can only go by how he was when he was alive. michael left us to soon to even tell us want he wanted or not.

i'm just trying to go by the man wishes because i'm a fan and it's his music and he made it.

michael didn't have a problem with fans being inspire by him but i think when it comes to his unrelease stuff it should be left alone.

this topic is kind of opinions because we really don't know what michael would have wanted. but we still need to respect this man even though he not with us anymore.

i hope there more left. if not, then the estate needs to at least HQ Michael's short films. i think that's what we all also want the most as well.

Michael Jackson would not have wanted his unfinished music to get a release posthumously.

This was strongly hinted by some of his collaborators (with whom he was working on new music while he was still alive), among others Akon and will.i.am.

…They're just ideas, concepts, and harmonies that the world will probably never see [...] We've done plenty of records outside of this, but they were just incomplete [...] I might just burn [them] after this interview. I would never put [them] out unfinished…" (Akon)

Will.i.am also stated (on more than one occasions) that it would be disrespectful towards Michael Jackson if his unfinished songs (that they both worked on) gets a posthumous release, because that would be something that Michael Jackson would not have wanted to happen.

Also, Michael Jackson himself made it clear that he posthumously wanted only specific, finished songs to get a posthumous release.

So, he chose those specific, finished songs (from his catalog of unreleased music) in order for them to get a posthumous release as a way to secure his three kids financially after his death.

About ‘The Ultimate Collection’ box set that is being mentioned here, this was just an exception to his overall philosophy given the particular circumstances surrounding his tense relation with Sony at that time.

Michael Jackson did not really care about that box set’s content (he even suggested it that publicly at the 'Killer Thriller' Party that took place in 2002 at the Equinox nightclub during a fan club event), but actually he only cared about its quick release because with that release he would automatically extricate himself from Sony.

So, he willingly authorized his collaborators (such as, Matt Forger) to fill that box set’s capacity by including on it whatever was available at the time, even unfinished songs.

There is no public and probably not at all a document which states what songs could be released according to MJ.
The only thing clear is there are multiple finished (enough) songs from will.i.am sessions which he is willing to release, estate blocked one of these songs for the album willpower. Redone also has enough to release but last we heard only for charity (so no interest from estate). Then there are the ultimate collection songs which Michael apparantly wanted to revisit. Then a few gems here and there and the latest 'gothic direction' stuff which is also unfinished.

mj_frenzy;4299127 said:
Michael Jackson would not have wanted his unfinished music to get a release posthumously.

This was strongly hinted by some of his collaborators (with whom he was working on new music while he was still alive), among others Akon and will.i.am.

…They're just ideas, concepts, and harmonies that the world will probably never see [...] We've done plenty of records outside of this, but they were just incomplete [...] I might just burn [them] after this interview. I would never put [them] out unfinished…" (Akon)

Will.i.am also stated (on more than one occasions) that it would be disrespectful towards Michael Jackson if his unfinished songs (that they both worked on) gets a posthumous release, because that would be something that Michael Jackson would not have wanted to happen.

Also, Michael Jackson himself made it clear that he posthumously wanted only specific, finished songs to get a posthumous release.

So, he chose those specific, finished songs (from his catalog of unreleased music) in order for them to get a posthumous release as a way to secure his three kids financially after his death.

About ‘The Ultimate Collection’ box set that is being mentioned here, this was just an exception to his overall philosophy given the particular circumstances surrounding his tense relation with Sony at that time.

Michael Jackson did not really care about that box set’s content (he even suggested it that publicly at the 'Killer Thriller' Party that took place in 2002 at the Equinox nightclub during a fan club event), but actually he only cared about its quick release because with that release he would automatically extricate himself from Sony.

So, he willingly authorized his collaborators (such as, Matt Forger) to fill that box set’s capacity by including on it whatever was available at the time, even unfinished songs.

If you are going to go off based on what Akon and Will said, who only worked with Michael in a very short period, then you would be better of going off what Brad Buxer and Michael Prince say. Although they have not commented directly on what Michael would do in this scenario, they have said that they have been opened for idea of working on new MJ materal. But since The Estate never bothered with them, we haven't seen anything yet.

My point is: your first sentence in your post is not correct.

To those who say that Michael’s unreleased music shouldn’t be released, because Michael wouldn’t want that.. Do you guys have the same mindset for concert releases?

I just want everything to be released. - Both songs and concerts.

The more concerts the better. - Triump, Victory, BAD, Dangerous, maybe even a HIStory concert if it has a lot of bonus material with rehearsal footage where MJ sings live.

I would love to see more Michael concerts that's only once again he want it. i mean he did release two concerts while he was alive. so i don't know. none us really know. also michael had alot of concerts on tapes in his home when he was alive. so i wouldn't be surprise that some of the stuff got sold and some fans out there have them.

at this point we giving our opinions and thoughts. i mean if michael didn't want some of that stuff release he should had it destroy but then again he die way to soon to even deicide.

so i don't know.

Pentum;4299145 said:
If you are going to go off based on what Akon and Will said, who only worked with Michael in a very short period, then you would be better of going off what Brad Buxer and Michael Prince say. Although they have not commented directly on what Michael would do in this scenario, they have said that they have been opened for idea of working on new MJ materal. But since The Estate never bothered with them, we haven't seen anything yet.

My point is: your first sentence in your post is not correct.

There is also Teddy Riley who worked with Michael Jackson during different and long periods of time, and he also confirmed that Michael Jackson would not have wanted the unfinished songs (that they together worked on) to get a posthumous release:

“…Well, it’s certainly true that there’s a lotta songs Michael and I did together that didn’t get released. But, as to whether they may now come out, I think that decision would have to be based on what he’d have wanted. You know, Michael would have never wanted something released if it wasn’t great and if it wasn’t finished. So, if a track isn’t finished, we won’t be putting it out there…” (Teddy Riley, ‘Blues & Soul’ Magazine Interview)

Judging from the above Teddy Riley's quotes and using common sense, it can also be easily deduced that Michael Jackson generally would not have wanted his unfinished songs to get a release even while he was still alive.

I could post quotes also from other collaborators (with whom Michael Jackson worked on songs) that corroborate his own, strict philosophy about not wanting his unfinished music to get a release while he was still alive, or after his death.

Give me quotes from MP and BB who were MJ's closest, saying Mike would never have released unfinished music post death, and I'll buy it. I mean, even then we wouldn't know for sure though. And going back to my first point; Tens of tens of songs have already been leaked and released. No way going back now.

I don't take any words from Teddy Riley serious after the Michael fiasco. That interview is quoted from what, around the same time he was working on the Cascio songs?

Michael Jackson would not have liked his unfinished music getting leaked.

Due to his perfectionism, while he was still alive he was very protective when it came to his unfinished music and in no way he wanted it to get leaked.

The Estate should respect and continue that attitude that he had.

Yes. That was when he was alive. We can't know for sure whether he would be against people hearing his demos and unreleased songs now.

Also, i'm sure Paul McCartney for example would have hated it if people heard any Beatles demos in the 60s, however, nowadays he supports anniversary releases which contain tons of unreleased material (Esher demos, alternate mixes, alternate vocal takes...).

Last edited:
dethorro;4299263 said:
Yes. That was when he was alive. We can't know for sure whether he would be against people hearing his demos and unreleased songs now.

Also, i'm sure Paul McCartney for example would have hated it if people heard any Beatles demos in the 60s, however, nowadays he supports anniversary releases which contain tons of unreleased material (Esher demos, alternate mixes, alternate vocal takes...).

Your comparison does not make sense.

You should use that Paul McCartney/The Beatles example in relation to what Michael Jackson wanted to do while he was still alive with his band (The Jackson 5/The Jacksons) before and after the band's break-up.

Michael Jackson did not want unfinished/unreleased songs from his band to get a release while The Jackson 5/The Jacksons was still active, and he continued to have that attitude later when the band disbanded.

Pentum;4299262 said:
Give me quotes from MP and BB who were MJ's closest, saying Mike would never have released unfinished music post death, and I'll buy it. I mean, even then we wouldn't know for sure though. And going back to my first point; Tens of tens of songs have already been leaked and released. No way going back now.

I don't take any words from Teddy Riley serious after the Michael fiasco. That interview is quoted from what, around the same time he was working on the Cascio songs?

Michael Durham Prince is not going to admit such a thing (that Michael Jackson would not have wanted his unfinished music to get a release posthumously).

That is because Michael Durham Prince has been more than willing since Michael Jackson’s death to ‘finish’ (by including guest vocals, contemporizing them, etc) some of the unfinished songs that he allegedly has in his personal laptop in order to get financial gain/royalties when they get released by the Estate.

Also, as far as I am aware, Brad Buxer has not commented on that matter.

Appreciate your effort, mj_frenzy, but again; What Mike wanted with his unfinished music while being alive is not the same as what he would've wanted with it while not being alive. They are two completely different scenarios. One where he wouldn't because he probably knew he would come back sooner or later to rework and make it better. And one where he can't do anything with it.

I think that's where the discussion ends and we have to accept that tons of his stuff post death have been released, leaked and will continue to do so. Let's just hope and try to get the remaining stuff in the most true form. The closest to Mike's vision. And if it has to be reworked, then preferably, finished by the exact people who worked on the song.

There's no correct answer to this unfortunately, we don't know how Michael felt and sadly he's not here to tell us

What the powers that be must do instead is to take, time, care and effort into any posthumous project they release, with Michael's artistic legacy at the forefront

If MJ felt so strong about his unreleased music should not be released, I guess he would have written it in his will og told his lawyers etc.

I doubt he would not want it to be released after his death.

What unreleased songs do you think have the highest/lowest likelihood of being released or leaked?

We all know there's plenty of stuff in the vault for at least one more full-fledged album, and probably a lot of stuff that could be given to rappers and other artists to "collab" on. But obviously not everything can be released -- be it for legal reasons or simply because it was barely even begun or worked on before Michael died. As nice as it would be for us fans to hear in order to get into his creative process, I highly doubt that the Estate would ever release an untitled track that has thirty seconds of piano chords and a couple seconds of MJ humming here and there. I think, for example that "Don't Matter To Me" or "Fall Again" level of completion is probably the lowest that the Estate would ever go in order to release something.

I do think, though, that certain tracks have a good chance of being released in the future. For example, those tracks that were already mixed for posthumous release but left out, like "Hot Fun in the Summertime" or "Chicago 1945" which were planned to appear on Xscape but ended up shelved. "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was even remixed for Xscape, and Steve Porcaro said that "Chicago 1945" is perfectly releasable as is, even without being remixed. And there is a precedent for left-out tracks being eventually released (since "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" was considered for Michael, left out, and then released on Xscape). Thus, I think that those two -- "Hot Fun" and "Chicago 1945" -- have the highest probability of being released at some point. A lesser likelihood for being released would be the songs that Michael had worked on with Will.i.am, namely "Dreamin'", "The Future", "Still the King", and "Miss You". Honestly I think Will is just waiting for a deal at this point, since he has previously tried to release "Dreamin'" and it may be just a matter of time before he cuts a deal with Sony and/or the Estate. Whether or not they will be or need to be remixed is up for debate (I guess it depends on your opinion of Will.i.am's production).

Now we get to the tracks that I think have an extremely low probability of being released. Obviously "Monster" (1999) is probably never gonna be officially released (unless they change its name like they changed "She Was Loving Me" to "Chicago"); not just because of all of that Cascio BS but also because it's likely in a very rudimentary state of production. From what Michael Prince has said, it seems like only the chorus was ever recorded. This sucks for me because I would kill to listen to it. And of course that leads to the other tracks that will likely never be released simply because of how unfinished they are. These are tracks like "Changes" (which despite being worked on for over 30 years never got very far into production), "Remember What I Told You", "Rocker", "H2O/Dark Lady", and "Cocoa Butter". Of course there's no real way to be certain which ones of these were finished and which ones weren't, but I'm gonna assume that they weren't.

Some of the tracks that Michael worked on 2007-2009 were apparently in a pretty advanced state of production. You can see on this picture below that Michael had a few songs -- namely "Scared of the Moon" (2009), "Beautiful Girl", and "Cheater" (2009) -- that he expressly wanted to finish, implying that if Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, John McClain, Darkchild, Timbaland, or Mark Ronson got to work on these tracks they might easily be put in a releasable and finished state that wouldn't be contrary to MJ's vision. Some other tracks, such as the original cut of "Best of Joy", "Bottom of My Heart", "Adore You", "Can't Stop Lovin' You", and "You Are So Beautiful" might also fall into this category. "World of Candy", which he recorded in full with Nisha Kataria in 2003 (and beyond that we know little about), might be reworked by Kataria in the future if another album is ever put together by the Estate.

https://images.genius.com/cc82657af2d4ecedf65fc9cfaf1abcc1.1000x563x1.jpg

Then again, not everything we've ever heard was officially released. "Another Day" and part of "Blue Gangsta" were leaked years before they were officially released. And of course, all 12 Cascio tracks found their way onto the Internet somehow less than three years after the ones on Michael were released. I could see certain tracks eventually being leaked in their entirety, such as "Rampage", "The Loser" (2008), and "Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me", which the fandom's known about for a few years now at least. On the flip side, I think there are some that I think are unlikely to be leaked, such as "Jungle", "Hanson", and "Blue Powder" -- all of these being Invincible outtakes -- which were sold to a private collector in 2018, and unless that collector is a secret user on this forum I doubt they're gonna share what they have. Then again, I suppose any of these could be leaked in part or in full at any time, and I think it's at this point that the discussion hits a bit of a dead end.

TL;DR I've got a bit of a list here:

Likely to be released or leakedMight be produced to a releasable stateLikely to remain unreleased
"Hot Fun in the Summertime""Scared of the Moon" (2009)"Monster" (1999)
"Chicago 1945""Beautiful Girl" (2009)"Changes"
"Dreamin'""Cheater" (2009)"Rocker"
"The Future""Best of Joy" (original version)"Remember What I Told You"
"Still the King""Bottom of My Heart""H2O/Dark Lady"
"I Will Miss You""Adore You""Cocoa Butter"
"Rampage""Can't Stop Lovin' You""Hanson"
"Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me""You Are So Beautiful""Jungle"
"The Loser" (2008)"World of Candy""Blue Powder"

[/tr]
[/tr]

I'm sure there's other songs that may fit into one or more of these categories, and I'm sure there's a chance that one song that I put in a certain category really belongs in another. At any rate, I'm wondering what you guys think. Which unreleased songs do you think stand the best and worst chances of ever seeing the light of day?

“Still the King,” “Bottom of My Heart,” “Adore You,” and “You Are So Beautiful” don’t exist in a finished form.

“Chicago 1945” was eyed for XSCAPE, so that one’s definitely coming out. I’d also put money on “I Was the Loser” and “Throwin’ Your Life Away.”

PLEASE, don’t put any of the songs from TUC on the next album. Just put the compilation on Spotify or reissue the “new” songs as a standalone EP. Don’t dilute the track listing with already released songs.

Re: What unreleased songs do you think have the highest/lowest likelihood of being released or leake

I can't see the Will.i.am tracks being released. Will has made it clear he won't and I don't think they are vocally complete enough anyway. "Hot Fun", "Chicago 1945", "Throwin Your Life Away" "I Was The Loser" "CGYWOM" are the most likely. If remixed/produced right the estate could actually better Xscape.

Re: What unreleased songs do you think have the highest/lowest likelihood of being released or leake

If there's more complete versions of songs that were on TUC then I'd like them to be released, not remixed though as that kinda defeats the point.

I look back to Bad 25 and I still believe they dropped the ball on maximizing the content for the vault material. There was so much more that they could have done with it. Including what they put on there I think it could have been possible to get a full length LP of stuff, even with some songs not all the way finished vocally. Throwing Your Life Away and Loving You should have been on there.

AlwaysThere;4319850 said:
“Still the King,” “Bottom of My Heart,” “Adore You,” and “You Are So Beautiful” don’t exist in a finished form.

“Chicago 1945” was eyed for XSCAPE, so that one’s definitely coming out. I’d also put money on “I Was the Loser” and “Throwin’ Your Life Away.”

PLEASE, don’t put any of the songs from TUC on the next album. Just put the compilation on Spotify or reissue the “new” songs as a standalone EP. Don’t dilute the track listing with already released songs.

Lovely Way would also probably be released.

Lovely Way would also probably be released.

"Lovely Way" is different than "Lonely Way" and "Lonely Bird" isn't it?

I would not mind if We've Had Enough was given a proper release. - noone outside fan circles know the song.

ALSO - if a more complete version of Price of Fame exists I would love to hear it.

Even the version we have in a new updated production could be great.

The Estate only have som many songs... so if they wanna make sure there are enough material for releases the next 30 years, they better save some.

If the next album was 6 all new songs and then PoF and WHE it would be perfectly fine for me.

king_of_style;4319848 said:
We all know there's plenty of stuff in the vault for at least one more full-fledged album, and probably a lot of stuff that could be given to rappers and other artists to "collab" on. But obviously not everything can be released -- be it for legal reasons or simply because it was barely even begun or worked on before Michael died. As nice as it would be for us fans to hear in order to get into his creative process, I highly doubt that the Estate would ever release an untitled track that has thirty seconds of piano chords and a couple seconds of MJ humming here and there. I think, for example that "Don't Matter To Me" or "Fall Again" level of completion is probably the lowest that the Estate would ever go in order to release something.

I do think, though, that certain tracks have a good chance of being released in the future. For example, those tracks that were already mixed for posthumous release but left out, like "Hot Fun in the Summertime" or "Chicago 1945" which were planned to appear on Xscape but ended up shelved. "Hot Fun in the Summertime" was even remixed for Xscape, and Steve Porcaro said that "Chicago 1945" is perfectly releasable as is, even without being remixed. And there is a precedent for left-out tracks being eventually released (since "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" was considered for Michael, left out, and then released on Xscape). Thus, I think that those two -- "Hot Fun" and "Chicago 1945" -- have the highest probability of being released at some point. A lesser likelihood for being released would be the songs that Michael had worked on with Will.i.am, namely "Dreamin'", "The Future", "Still the King", and "Miss You". Honestly I think Will is just waiting for a deal at this point, since he has previously tried to release "Dreamin'" and it may be just a matter of time before he cuts a deal with Sony and/or the Estate. Whether or not they will be or need to be remixed is up for debate (I guess it depends on your opinion of Will.i.am's production).

Now we get to the tracks that I think have an extremely low probability of being released. Obviously "Monster" (1999) is probably never gonna be officially released (unless they change its name like they changed "She Was Loving Me" to "Chicago"); not just because of all of that Cascio BS but also because it's likely in a very rudimentary state of production. From what Michael Prince has said, it seems like only the chorus was ever recorded. This sucks for me because I would kill to listen to it. And of course that leads to the other tracks that will likely never be released simply because of how unfinished they are. These are tracks like "Changes" (which despite being worked on for over 30 years never got very far into production), "Remember What I Told You", "Rocker", "H2O/Dark Lady", and "Cocoa Butter". Of course there's no real way to be certain which ones of these were finished and which ones weren't, but I'm gonna assume that they weren't.

Some of the tracks that Michael worked on 2007-2009 were apparently in a pretty advanced state of production. You can see on this picture below that Michael had a few songs -- namely "Scared of the Moon" (2009), "Beautiful Girl", and "Cheater" (2009) -- that he expressly wanted to finish, implying that if Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, John McClain, Darkchild, Timbaland, or Mark Ronson got to work on these tracks they might easily be put in a releasable and finished state that wouldn't be contrary to MJ's vision. Some other tracks, such as the original cut of "Best of Joy", "Bottom of My Heart", "Adore You", "Can't Stop Lovin' You", and "You Are So Beautiful" might also fall into this category. "World of Candy", which he recorded in full with Nisha Kataria in 2003 (and beyond that we know little about), might be reworked by Kataria in the future if another album is ever put together by the Estate.

https://images.genius.com/cc82657af2d4ecedf65fc9cfaf1abcc1.1000x563x1.jpg

Then again, not everything we've ever heard was officially released. "Another Day" and part of "Blue Gangsta" were leaked years before they were officially released. And of course, all 12 Cascio tracks found their way onto the Internet somehow less than three years after the ones on Michael were released. I could see certain tracks eventually being leaked in their entirety, such as "Rampage", "The Loser" (2008), and "Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me", which the fandom's known about for a few years now at least. On the flip side, I think there are some that I think are unlikely to be leaked, such as "Jungle", "Hanson", and "Blue Powder" -- all of these being Invincible outtakes -- which were sold to a private collector in 2018, and unless that collector is a secret user on this forum I doubt they're gonna share what they have. Then again, I suppose any of these could be leaked in part or in full at any time, and I think it's at this point that the discussion hits a bit of a dead end.

TL;DR I've got a bit of a list here:

Likely to be released or leakedMight be produced to a releasable stateLikely to remain unreleased
"Hot Fun in the Summertime""Scared of the Moon" (2009)"Monster" (1999)
"Chicago 1945""Beautiful Girl" (2009)"Changes"
"Dreamin'""Cheater" (2009)"Rocker"
"The Future""Best of Joy" (original version)"Remember What I Told You"
"Still the King""Bottom of My Heart""H2O/Dark Lady"
"I Will Miss You""Adore You""Cocoa Butter"
"Rampage""Can't Stop Lovin' You""Hanson"
"Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me""You Are So Beautiful""Jungle"
"The Loser" (2008)"World of Candy""Blue Powder"

[/tr]
[/tr]

I'm sure there's other songs that may fit into one or more of these categories, and I'm sure there's a chance that one song that I put in a certain category really belongs in another. At any rate, I'm wondering what you guys think. Which unreleased songs do you think stand the best and worst chances of ever seeing the light of day?

They clearly stated that they are not going to release another full-fledged album.

Rob Stringer (on behalf of Sony Music and the Estate) stated explicitly in 2018 that they are looking at one-off songs, because this is a streaming/track-based world.

He only spoke about possibly releasing few gems individually in the following years.

Reading between the lines, it can be easily deduced that Rob Stringer’s statement means that Michael Jackson’s vault is almost empty, and they used that streaming/track-based world statement as an excuse in order to justify the singer’s almost empty vault.

Also, Michael Jackson did not record any vocals on the ‘You Are So Beautiful’ song.

This is just a song that he was writing lyrics for it (in 2004-2005), and after the end of his trial he never returned back to it for recording his vocals on it.

About will.i.am, he is not interested in cutting a deal with Sony Music and/or the Estate and releasing these songs.

…But those songs weren't perfected in the way someone like him [Michael Jackson] wanted them to be perfected. You don't do that. You have integrity. You respect the legacy…” (will.i.am, 2018)

So, for will.i.am, this is a matter of integrity, rather than a matter of gaining money from the songs’ release.

Hess;4319883 said:
I would not mind if We've Had Enough was given a proper release. - noone outside fan circles know the song.

‘We've Had Enough’ already got a proper release through its inclusion on a proper box set called ‘The Ultimate Collection’ (2004).

There is no point in re-releasing an already released song.

Eh, will.i.am has to be taken with a grain of salt. 'You don't do that. You have integrity'...... yet you tried to put them on your album. Is the issue with it not being HIS release?

What's the situation with the Paul Anka collaboration? Were 'I Never Heard' and 'Love Never Felt So Good' the only songs with completed lyrics?

Personally, I wish they would release anniversary editions of the albums with all the demos, unreleased etc. It's pretty clear that there aren't many complete tracks left to release, and I have never liked the whole 'remix' route they've gone with his partially complete work. That being said, I can imagine 'Throwin Your Life Away' will be released or leaked in high quality at some point. I don't understand why a song like that wasn't on Bad 25, so must have been saving it for a future release.

But full albums are still being released by artists such as Justin Bieber and The Weeknd, so why can't MJ's estate just do that and call it a day? And how is MJ's vault "almost empty"? There's still songs like Chicago 1945, Tomboy, Nymphette Lover, the solo demo of Crack Kills, Do You Want Me featuring Sisqo, the Rodney Jerkins outtakes, and World of Candy no one's heard before. The estate's just being lazy and not trying to get anything from other artists. They don't even want to show Michael's creative though process through demos like Prince's estate's been doing lately, they just want to pretend Michael's still profitable when he's been dead for more than ten years at this point.

^^

Well, firstly, The Weeknd and Justin Bieber are living artists who can still create new music. Michael’s dead; whatever he left behind is all that we’ll ever get. That comparison doesn’t really hold much salt.

Secondly, the biggest issue is that, in most cases, all we have are titles. We don’t know if they have ANY vocals, much less enough to be considered finished. “Nymphette Lover” is an example; all we know is that exists in SOME form. We don’t know how many of the Jerkins outtakes are releasable. We don’t know how finished “Tomboy” is. I’m not wholly certain “Do You Love Me” even exists. That’s the big issue here; it’s all speculation and rumors, no facts. So, while I personally struggle to believe that there’s not much material remaining, there’s no way to be sure of it unless the Estate decides to publish a list of what they have and what state it’s in (which they should NEVER do).

mj_frenzy;4319884 said:
Reading between the lines, it can be easily deduced that Rob Stringer’s statement means that Michael Jackson’s vault is almost empty, and they used that streaming/track-based world statement as an excuse in order to justify the singer’s almost empty vault.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "almost empty". Almost empty of 100% finished tracks? Absolutely. The only fully-finished tracks that we all know of are "Hot Fun", "World of Candy", and maybe "Can't Get Your Weight". But just because it's not 100% finished doesn't mean it can't be finished, or that it's not releasable in any form. I mean, "In the Back" and "Fall Again" is perfectly listenable as is, and those are obviously not finished. Some people over on the HIStory Continues forum even think that "Chicago" wasn't vocally complete (based on what they think is splicing together vocals where the first verse wasn't finished) -- meaning that an almost or half-complete track could certainly be worked to "completion".

SeriousFX;4319887 said:
The estate's just being lazy and not trying to get anything from other artists. They don't even want to show Michael's creative though process through demos like Prince's estate's been doing lately, they just want to pretend Michael's still profitable when he's been dead for more than ten years at this point.

This. I think what the Elvis Estate has done is great for his legacy. I don't know much about Elvis, but I know not a huge swathe of the population listens to him religiously anymore. He had his own context and his own moment in history -- the Elvis Estate has respected that by appealing to his existing fans and occasionally reaching out to snag some younger folks (but snagging younger folks is not their goal). It seems like the Elvis Estate respects his legacy a bit more than the MJ Estate. Because even though Michael Jackson was awesome and genius in his moment, he's gone now and the moment has passed. I wouldn't mind having a posthumous collab with The Weeknd or another modern artist here and there, but the MJ Estate should focus on holding onto the fans that Michael does have and occasionally reaching out.

AlwaysThere;4319889 said:
That’s the big issue here; it’s all speculation and rumors, no facts. So, while I personally struggle to believe that there’s not much material remaining, there’s no way to be sure of it unless the Estate decides to publish a list of what they have and what state it’s in (which they should NEVER do).

A lot of this could be solved if they were up-front about it. If they were to tell us there's not that much releasable material left (to which much of us in the community would reply, "We'll be the judge of that. Release it") that would be sad, but it's inevitable. Then it would be understandable to only release a single or an EP every so often, to stretch things out. But as it stands, they're causing some people believe that Michael has literally hundreds of finished songs in the vault, and others to believe that there's nothing left and Xscape was the last the world would hear of Michael Jackson.

They need to do something soon, and I expect that they will -- to save MJ's posthumous reputation from all this LN BS if anything else. Even if it's one final album to clear the vault, I think we'd rather have that than sit here knowing all this stuff exists in some form but never getting to hear it.

They should do an EP every few years. Just to keep MJ relevant and give the fans new material. Something like 3 tracks for the EP. Here's an example:

1.) Chicago 1945
2.) Buffalo Bill
3.) What You Do To Me

Now if they want to throw in some re-mixes with current artists/producers, whatever. I don't care. If that's what it takes, so be it. As long as the original tracks are included as MJ left them, I really don't care.

Back