December 5 - 7 (Update for December 7, 2008 on post # 49)

mariemarie

Guests
Hey everyone. It's snowing on this lovely Friday morning where I'm at. How is the weather where you're reading from? Wish you all to have a wonderful and peaceful weekend =)

NBA Weekly

More than a month into this NBA season, some things have already become clear: 1) Just three teams -- the Lakers, Celtics and Cavaliers --can be considered serious title contenders right now; 2) There is an infinite amount of jokes to be made at Stephon Marbury's expense; 3) It is the year of the emerging point guard. In the National Post's list of five potential first-time all stars, four are point guards. Here they are, along with a forward who is plying his trade in anonymity:

The Lip
"He's Michael Jackson playing with a bunch of Tito Jacksons, but he's balling anyway." --Charles Barkely describes Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat during a radio interview.

Full article http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1034002

Strictly's backstage secrets: Which dancer asks for a shorter dress every week?

This series of Strictly Come Dancing has been hailed as the best yet. The standard of the celebrity dancing - and the fact that there is no clear winner - has brought real suspense.
And each week as Bruce Forsyth's jokes get worse and worse, the sparkling costumes and the brilliant choreography just get better and better.

On top of his other responsibilities, Dave has to be mindful of the pitch of songs for the band's four singers, two men and two women.
'The band don't like performing Michael Jackson songs as they are hard even for our male singer who has a very high pitch. Similarly, the Latin songs can be tricky as they have to learn the vocals phonetically as only one speaks Spanish.
'But as a band, we are in our own world - we have no idea who is a good dancer because we haven't got time to watch them.'

Full article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ets-Which-dancer-asks-shorter-dress-week.html

Toby Wayne, band kick around a little Red Dirt, Southern rock

Toby Wayne and Distant Thunder will do whatever it takes to get people out on the dance floor.
The Frederick, Okla., Red Dirt band, which leans toward traditional country and Southern rock, has even played Michael Jackson to get people on the floor, singer and rhythm guitarist Toby Wayne said.

More http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/dec/04/bringing-on-the-thunder-toby-wayne-band-kick-a/

Studios celebrate Black History month

February is Black History Month, and studios are celebrating by releasing film collections honoring black performers and moments in black history.

Due Dec. 9 from First Run Features is The Early Works of Cheryl Dunye (DVD $24.95), featuring the works Greetings From Africa, The Potluck and the Passion, An Untitled Portrait, Vanilla Sex, She Don’t Fade and Janine. Dunye, the black filmmaker who has been referred to as “the lesbian Spike Lee” by Newsday, also has her first landmark film, The Watermelon Woman, available on DVD from First Run at $19.95.

Jan. 6, 2009, (prebook Dec. 10) 20th Century Fox and MGM Home Entertainment release DVDs in four categories: A History of Determination, A History of Pride, A History of Entertainment and A History of Success. The titles in the categories are available individually at $14.98 each.

A History of Determination includes the biopics AKA Cassius Clay, about legendary boxer Muhammad Ali; Chisholm ’72: Unbought and Unbossed, the story of Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm’s bid for the presidency; King (1978), the TV mini-series about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.; The Jackie Robinson Story; The Antwone Fisher Story; and Woman, Thou Art Loosed, a drama based on a T.D. Jakes novel.

A History of Pride includes the dramas Drumline, Hotel Rwanda, Men of Honor, Redemption, Roll Bounce and The Great White Hope.

A History of Entertainment features Bill Cosby: Himself; Cedric the Entertainer; The Five Heartbeats, a drama about the rise and fall of a vocal group; the basketball comedy Rebound, starring Martin Lawrence; and The Bernie Mac Show: Season 1.

A History of Success has Barbershop; I, Robot; In the Heat of the Night, Man on Fire and The Salon.

Also due Jan. 6, 2009 (prebook Dec. 9) is New York Noir: The History of Black New York, from Little Dizzy Home Video (DVD $14.99). The acclaimed documentary examines the history of New York’s black culture from the early 1600s onward, covering such ground as the Harlem Renaissance.

Jan. 27. 2009, Mill Creek Entertainment releases Tupac Assassination – Part II: Reckoning, the followup to 2007’s Tupac Assassination: Conspiracy or Revenge, exploring the motives behind the murder of rapper Tupac Shakur, and including behind-the-scenes footage from Shakur’s music videos as well as outtakes and alternate footage from the videos. Mill Creek will release it as a two-DVD compilation, with the director’s cut of Conspiracy or Revenge, and the all-new documentary, at $14.98.

Warner Home Video Jan. 27, 2009, (prebook Dec. 23) honors two iconic artists when it releases Listen Up! The Lives of Quincy Jones and the Sidney Poitier Film Collection.

The Sidney Poitier Film Collection (DVD $39.92) features the films Edge of the City (1957), A Warm December (1973), Something of Value (1957) and A Patch of Blue (1965). Among his many career accomplishments, Poitier was the first black man to win an Academy Award for Best Actor.

Listen Up! The Lives of Quincy Jones (DVD $24.98) is a documentary on the life and career of the famed musician, composer and producer. The DVD includes interviews with Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey and Jesse Jackson. Also included are several featurettes and an offer for 50 free song downloads from eMusic.com.

Additional music icons are honored in the recent Infinity Entertainment Group double-feature Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story and Stax Volt Review: Live in Norway 1967 (DVD $24.98). Check out Billy Gil’s online blog at www.homemediamagazine.com for more information on this and other music releases.

http://homemediamagazine.com/product-news/studios-celebrate-black-history-month-14014

Today in
Michael Jackson History
2004 - A Santa Maria, CA, judge ordered Michael Jackson to undergo a medical examination after he failed to show up for court due to a spider bite.

2003 - A spokesperson for Epic Records said "there's no chance that "One More Chance" will be released by Epic Records." The video was planned to debut on a CBS special on Michael Jackson. The show was indefinitely delayed after a child molestation accusation was made public against Jackson in November 2003.

one

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: December 5 - 7 News and Mentionings

2003 - A spokesperson for Epic Records said "there's no chance that "One More Chance" will be released by Epic Records." The video was planned to debut on a CBS special on Michael Jackson. The show was indefinitely delayed after a child molestation accusation was made public against Jackson in November 2003.

one

shame on them. they make me sick :puke:

Funny quote from Chalres Barkley there. Charles is a smart man too.

And interesting find about the band not liking to perform Michael's song's because of their difficulty. That's something most people don't know, how hard Michael's songs are to sing, until they try to.

It did snow here yesterday and lots of it! I think they said around 9 inches of it!! Right now it's sunny and cold here.
Thanks for the mentionings. Happy Friday and weekend to all! :)

Thanks, marie for the news. It is cold in Philly.

Charles Barkley is a funny man and I love his quote. I think he mentioned before that he was a big MJ fan.

Thanks MsMo.

LOL! MJ is so gangsta. I mean, look at that list. It includes all types of music, from rap to country to soundtracks, latin, R&B, pop, folk, dance, rock, comedy AND classical.

MJ I totally applaud you, for being a major player in the publishing game. Ya heard!

Thanx for the news&mentionings as always marie!

Listen Up! The Lives of Quincy Jones (DVD $24.98) is a documentary on the life and career of the famed musician, composer and producer. The DVD includes interviews with Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey and Jesse Jackson. Also included are several featurettes and an offer for 50 free song downloads from eMusic.com.
Can't help wondering if the MJ interview is a new one for this DVD!

Thanks MsMo for the link.

Saw oprah on both E! News and the daily 10 and mentioned that she was the most nervous when having to interview MJ cus they were live around the world and didn't know what to say.

Will be doing the mentionings for December 6th a little early as I will be busy in the morning to do them.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for December 6, 2008:

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/12/bill_livingston_country_music.html

But while such stars as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, and Michael Jackson have performed at halftime of the Super Bowl, when it comes time to see if the Monday night television audience is "ready for some football," it is Hank Williams Jr., son of a country music icon, who asks the question.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=130031

This season should be a time to reawaken our youths. I’m particularly impressed about the renaissance in our entertainment industry. Our traditional cultures are sneaking back on our kids. Our talented artistes now sing in mother-tongues, what was a taboo some years back, when they all wanted to sing like Michael Jackson.

http://insiderracingnews.com/Writers/Guest/CE/120608.html

The coolest-looking trophy was the metallic glove presented to the No. 48 team for winning the Mechanix Wear Most Valuable Pit Award. Those guys might want to consider keeping that thing under heavy security; I couldn't help but think about Michael Jackson and that famous glove from his career heyday. The 48 team stole that thunder this year. Especially during the Chase, they gave a whole new meaning to the term "Thriller".

http://software.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=599802&afterinter=true

Noise Industries partner Idustrial Revolution is led by Peter Wiggins. Wiggins is a successful broadcast editor with more than 25 years of industry experience. His credits include work with the BBC, CBS, and CNN â?? covering everything from the Winter Olympics to working with Michael Jackson on a video for the World Music Awards.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/2008/12/05/20081205bep.html?&wired

He's worked on material for expected upcoming releases by Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and the Pussycat Dolls' Nicole Scherzinger. He was recently in London working with U2 ("I'm not supposed to talk about that," he says) and has a role in the X-Men prequel "X Men Origins: Wolverine," which is due.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hTwBvlbmS_52cjIRk2GxegXzCx1AD94SPFMG1

Forrest J Ackerman, the sometime actor, literary agent, magazine editor and full-time bon vivant who discovered author Ray Bradbury and was widely credited with coining the term "sci-fi," has died. He was 92.

Ackerman himself appeared in numerous films over the years, usually in bit parts. His credits include "Queen of Blood," "Dracula vs. Frankenstein," "Amazon Women on the Moon," "Vampirella," "Transylvania Twist," "The Howling" and the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video. More recently, he appeared in 2007's "The Dead Undead" and 2006's "The Boneyard Collection."

Last edited:

Thanx #1MJstan! Whoever is saying any info on MJ's new album, I just love it:clap: Ah, the sweet, short one sentence! I ain't big on Lenny Kravitz, but it doesn't matter! It would be interesting. They might put out a rock or blues tune together.

2009 Sony/ATV (Michael Jackson) Grammy Nominees

Dec 05, 2008

resize_image.php

The following (links) is a list of 2009 Sony/ATV Grammy Nominees for the 51st Annual Grammy Awards...

Sony/ATV News

Grammy Awards Nominations

wow..so, the grammys keep MJ wealthy and nominated and winning, indirectly/directly..lol...he wins no matter what...i love that. and that lucrative country music...u go MJ:clapping:

plus when they broke their rules to stiff MJ, they ended up following them to help his artists...all his employees/people on the atv roster..man..i'm lovin this leona lewis and simon cowell and ryan seacrest work for MJ. lol. so they followed them and ended up rewarding MJ, maybe unbeknownst to them. lol. so i know he will have won some grammys through his artsts.

So this was a new interview with Lenny then? Michaels been working with him before.
If its recent then its very interesting, I didn't think Michael would work in that music direction this time after all of the collaborations we've heard so far.

wow..so, the grammys keep MJ wealthy and nominated and winning, indirectly/directly..lol...he wins no matter what...i love that. and that lucrative country music...u go MJ:clapping:

plus when they broke their rules to stiff MJ, they ended up following them to help his artists...all his employees/people on the atv roster..man..i'm lovin this leona lewis and simon cowell and ryan seacrest work for MJ. lol. so they followed them and ended up rewarding MJ, maybe unbeknownst to them. lol. so i know he will have won some grammys through his artsts.

What rules did they break VNCWilliam? (I would love to know, I am out of the loop about MJ's dealings with Sony)

But I was just thinking the same thing about all these different ppl celebrities bringing in $$$ for MJ.. I sense another shopping trip for MJ around Grammy time..lol

I liked what Lenny did for Madonna, so hey, I bet it will sound cool

What rules did they break VNCWilliam? (I would love to know, I am out of the loop about MJ's dealings with Sony)

But I was just thinking the same thing about all these different ppl celebrities bringing in $$$ for MJ.. I sense another shopping trip for MJ around Grammy time..lol

the grammy people nominated a song from the beatles, done by the beatles' Paul McCartney..'i saw her standing there'. he redid it for his current album. they also nominated a song that beyonce had from four years ago.

nice P.R stunt there for jls and the x factor *yawn*

Heck, everyone is writing a song for MJ lately...LOL!! And in the week after THAT's news "Minnie Pearl/The Oakridge Boys/Devo all write a song for Michael Jackson. It's gonna have that country-rock-pop 80's feel to it...
toofunny.gif

For those of you younguns, this is Minnie Pearl....

Heck, I think that Tiny Tim Himself wrote a song for MJ. Here he is doing "Do you think I'm Sexy"...lol

shame on them. they make me sick :puke:

Yeah. From what I've heard the video is finalized and ready to be released. They could release it now!

Why are articles from the Mirror tabloid posted on the news thread?

Back