Dance Hall of Fame to induct Michael Jackson

Okay, so I live 15 minutes from this Hall of Fame. Hopefully some family members attend. I'll be there!!!

Hope this hasn't already been posted-I couldn't find it if it has :)

This is a quick video of some of the activities before the gala. There is a quick ad at the beginning and then the story starts.

http://saratoga-north.ynn.com/content/top_stories/514180/hundreds-turn-out-for-saratoga-gala/

The local ABC affiliate showed some really nice video tonight of a letter from Katherine being ready, but I can't find that online yet. Hope it's up soon :)

*UPDATE* Interview with Marlon
http://www.cbs6albany.com/video/?videoId=585666964001&lineupId=1143371293

Last edited:
more video
http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2010/08/16/news/doc4c68a01306a7e877012732.txt

National Museum of Dance founder Marylou Whitney meets with Marlon Jackson

doc4c68a01306a7e8770127322.jpg

Marlon Jackson speaks on behalf of his family at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony for his late brother, Michael
doc4c68a01306a7e877012732.jpg

A sign and flowers were among decorations at the ceremony.

doc4c68a01306a7e8770127321.jpg

dancers
doc4c68a01306a7e8770127323.jpg

doc4c68a01306a7e8770127324.jpg

I'm on the fence with all of these "after the fact" awards being presented to Michael through various family members.

Although they are a delight to see, I'm STILL disappointed that nobody thought these types of awards would have been deserved when Michael was alive to except them himself.

In my opinion, he's gone, so I "guess" it's safe to honor him now. As lovely as the gesture is, I just ain't with all of the "after the fact" love. I just don't find it sincere. But hey, that's just me!

I'm on the fence with all of these "after the fact" awards being presented to Michael through various family members.

Although they are a delight to see, I'm STILL disappointed that nobody thought these types of awards would have been deserved when Michael was alive to except them himself.

In my opinion, he's gone, so I "guess" it's safe to honor him now. As lovely as the gesture is, I just ain't with all of the "after the fact" love. I just don't find it sincere. But hey, that's just me!

I agree BigApple.. With this award especially, Mike needed this award years and years ago when he first did the robot in 1975.. Mike's been a dancer forever and a damn good one he was. All of the love since he's been gone has been well accepted, but I wish they could've shown this love when he was with us.

My thanks to all of you who posted the
Beautiful Pictures and Videos from Michael's induction into the Dance Hall of Fame. :give_flowers:

doc4c68a01306a7e8770127321.jpg

Michele Riggi, president of the dance museum's board of directors, said Jackson's trailblazing style of dance and his impact on the world of dance qualified him for the hall of fame.

"The moonwalk, I mean, he was the first to do that," she said. "And all his dance moves, from his robot dances to the moonwalk to all his gyrations and song and dance together, were such a unique style.

"Along with his music and dance, he was a complete person and so worthy of being inducted."

Jackson joins such legendary figures in the hall as Isadora Duncan, Martha Graham, Jerome Robbins, Alvin Ailey, Paul Taylor, Robert Joffrey and Bob Fosse. Their plaques hang side by side in the order they were inducted. At the end, now, will hang one for the King of Pop.

Last edited:

I agree that it's long overdue. I mean, hey, the moonwalk they are talking about was performed half a century ago for the first time. And Fred Astaire named Michael the best dancer of the century also half a century ago. It's not like the Dance museum didn't know till this year that Michael was a brilliant dancer .

But at the same time... better late than never...

Seems like a beautiful ceremony and something that is long, long, overdue. I bet Michael was looking down smiling the whole time. Love you Mike xxx

Now THIS was long over due..Micheal deserved this honor to be put on him LONGGGG ago....I just wish he was here to see it...PPB should be very proud of their dad. Thank for the Pics..:)

Michael deserved it years ago.
I don´t get what they were thinking when they earlier suggested John Travolta to be inducted there.When there was a dancer like Michael.King of dance.

Now Michael is right where he belongs, with his friend Fred and the
other wonderful artists honored there. I wish Michael was here to see
this; I wish Michael was here. But I believe he perfected his talent to
make people happy and to be the best at his craft. And he did that.

He would have been very humble and appreciative of
this honor and probably would have spoken about Fred and Gene Kelly
and James Brown and how he learned and created from their glorious
talent. He would say that his gifts were given to him to share with
others and to give great entertainment. He's probably smiling as he
dances on the moon. Congratulations, Michael.

You are not alone in how you feel. It's hard seeing all these nice things now when Michael deserved it a long time ago. For him to see the love and appreciation. It all feels bittersweet but I am happy for him that he got this honor. It was nice of Marlon to go and accept it for him.

you know what i'm glad fred astaire, gene kelly, and james brown complimented michael about him being a great dancers , michael looked up to these guys as dancers since he was a little boy and what a feeling that have to been for all three of them got to tell michael persoally what great talent he was

Last edited:
you know what i'm glad fred astaire, gene kelly, and james kelly complimented michael about him being a great dancers , michael looked up to these guys as dancers since he was a little boy and what a feeling that have to been for all three of them got to tell michael persoally what great talent he was

I think hearing it from them alone was honour enough for him...same with when he performed at Motown 25, when he wasn't happy with his performance, and the little boy was just blown away by it....I think that meant more to him than any type of induction to a Dance Hall of Fame...He KNEW he was an astounding dancer..as humble as he was....

A posthumous dance into the hall
By TOM KEYSER Staff Writer

VIDEO- http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/jackson-1277408-springs-fame.html

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- He moonwalked only on video, but Michael Jackson danced his way Sunday into the National Museum of Dance Hall of Fame.

Fourteen months after his death at age 50, Jackson became the first dancer from the world of pop and rock 'n' roll to be inducted into the dance hall of fame in Saratoga Springs. At a ceremony attended by his brother Marlon, Jackson became the 44th dancer or choreographer enshrined in the hall. Most came from the worlds of ballet and modern dance.

As soft-spoken as his late brother, Marlon said he wished Michael could be here to accept the honor in person. Michael Jackson died in June 2009 of cardiac arrest. His personal doctor was charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly administering the sedatives that killed him.

"What we always did, including Michael, was try to reach out and bring happiness to people," said Marlon, who was the second youngest member of the Jackson 5 -- one year older than Michael. "That's what we tried to do, bring people together in a peaceful environment ... unite people around the world as one.

"I'm proud of him for what he accomplished in his life. That he's being recognized for his ability, his musical ability and dance ability, makes me feel good inside."

The induction ceremony was an extension of a gala the previous evening called the National Museum of Dance Tribute to Michael Jackson. Tickets were $300. They included admission to the induction, which alone cost $50.

Attendees stepped into the museum through an elegant entryway of black-and-gold drapes. They were immediately offered a glass of champagne.

They were treated to Michael Jackson videos and dance tributes, including one by the Lombard twins, Martin and Facundo, who perform in the recently released dance film "Step Up 3D." As they gyrated in the style of Jackson, fans in the audience hollered, "Michael ... Michael."

Before the ceremony, Marlon said that when he and Michael were boys, they pretended that Michael was Fred Astaire and Marlon was Gene Kelly. They emulated the masters' moves, took pieces from each, and that's how Michael built his routines, Marlon said.

Michele Riggi, president of the dance museum's board of directors, said Jackson's trailblazing style of dance and his impact on the world of dance qualified him for the hall of fame.

"The moonwalk, I mean, he was the first to do that," she said. "And all his dance moves, from his robot dances to the moonwalk to all his gyrations and song and dance together, were such a unique style.

"Along with his music and dance, he was a complete person and so worthy of being inducted."

Jackson joins such legendary figures in the hall as Isadora Duncan, Martha Graham, Jerome Robbins, Alvin Ailey, Paul Taylor, Robert Joffrey and Bob Fosse. Their plaques hang side by side in the order they were inducted. At the end, now, will hang one for the King of Pop.

1604jzp.jpg

doc4c68a01306a7e877012732.jpg

33w1ch5.jpg

23hkumt.jpg

its outrageous that they didnt induct him way earlier.. Michael defined dance ffs

I don't know why I'm crying but I'm just so proud of Mike for what he has accomplished, no one can ever compare to him, and it just breaks my heart that he isn't here to recieve this honour himself.

This institution wasn't even established until 2003 so I think give them a break. Of course they are going to cover classical and jazz before getting down to our generation and beyond. I doubt Michael ever heard of them. It is safe to say their future is now ensured with the addition of Michael. Certainly he should have gone in before Isadora Duncan, I will admit!

Pleased to hear the director speak to his humanity as well.

If you watch the Jackson 5 closely, Marlon was the best dancer after Michael, so very appropriate that he was there. Wish the family would just stick to giving Michael his propers instead of including themselves in every award though.

Last edited:
Agree totally. Some of the things Marlon said--- I was
thinking "What...?" Michael's day, his honor, his artistry,
his blessed talent---let go of the coat tails already people.

family need to let Michael bask in his glory ,he work really hard for this .they need to stop putting them self forward with their "we" .i know it all started with j5 but Michael was the one who worked really hard back then and continued working.i mean not every time ,in every award function please.

family need to let Michael bask in his glory ,he work really hard for this .they need to stop putting them self forward with their "we" .i know it all started with j5 but Michael was the one who worked really hard back then and continued working.i mean not every time ,in every award function please.

True. But let's be glad it wasn't Jermaine. I still cringe at the thought of 2009 American Music Awards . :doh:

And I'm proud of Michael.

This institution wasn't even established until 2003 so I think give them a break. Of course they are going to cover classical and jazz before getting down to our generation and beyond. I doubt Michael ever heard of them. It is safe to say their future is now ensured with the addition of Michael. Certainly he should have gone in before Isadora Duncan, I will admit!

Pleased to hear the director speak to his humanity as well.

If you watch the Jackson 5 closely, Marlon was the best dancer after Michael, so very appropriate that he was there. Wish the family would just stick to giving Michael his propers instead of including themselves in every award though.

People love to complain. Let them.

MJ was the artist with the most awards ever...yet some find reasons to bitch & rant that he did not get more.

Whatever.

:clapping: That dance tribute was on FIRE!!!
I LUVED it :D

Those videos were AMAZING! OMG! Especially the two twins dancers! WOW!

I know! I thought they did really well too.

As always, it's nice to see Michael honoured and that the ceremony went off well.

I don't know why I'm crying but I'm just so proud of Mike for what he has accomplished, no one can ever compare to him, and it just breaks my heart that he isn't here to recieve this honour himself.

I completely understand where you're coming from :huggy: I was watching Thriller the other day and I was just bawling my eyes out cuz I'm so damn proud of him, and truly honoured that I was able to experience the magic that is Michael...:wub:

AND WOW! Those twin dancers were pretty awesome! Brave of them to take on the Panther Dance, but they were great! :D

Last edited:
Back